Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

10 Nights in Dubai - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Nights in Dubai (77426 Views)

Three Nights In Paris! / Where Could These Be In Lagos at Nights? / Two Men Pay To Spend Two Nights In Prison Just To Have The Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 8:38am On May 22, 2018
NewBea:
I think i will be among the few here wondering how many millions you took to dubai and what you do for a living...

Saphire86 Nairaland no dey use eye see babe wey get money o. Just tell them you are jobless and see how they`ll flee!
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Olumoney1: 8:48am On May 22, 2018
This is one of the most captivating write up I have read. you rock lady...You made my day already and your writing skills is just too notch.
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by alaboski(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2018
Nice write up... Feels like a virtual trip to dubai. Hope to visit someday sha in Sha Allah
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Profcamsey(m): 9:08am On May 22, 2018
How much can I have as pocket money for 5 day trip
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Gettreadyy(m): 9:16am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:
I woke up that certain Wednesday feeling ‘oh, the day has finally come’. I was still running up and down doing last minute packing, attending to a dozen issues while trying to remember a dozen more still undone. I am not one for last minute rush, but this time was different – delays here and there with the visa and ticket both finally coming through less than 48 hours before departure.

I called for an Uber (while silently praying for safe arrival to the airport because I have been hearing stories about Uber & Taxify drivers lately) and 30 minutes later (even though the app said 11 mins) I was on my way to the airport. Traffic was terrible; this was the first journey-to-the-airport traffic I have ever experienced, and it got to a point that I was like ‘ah, ah, have my village people followed me to the airport?’ Finally, we reach the airport though I was a bit pissed with the Uber driver because 1., he deliberately took a longer route with traffic when we started the journey (maybe he wanted my trip fare to be deliberately high) and 2., he didn’t know any shortcuts! We were just stuck in traffic; one thing about commercial bus drivers is that they would always find another way when they sight traffic ahead except if there is truly no way out. But this Uber driver just sat there because even if we got to the airport 3 hours later, it really wasn’t his concern!

Got to the airport an hour plus later and then it hit me that I was back at the Nigerian Airport! First, it was the policemen unnecessarily hailing me before I realized that they wanted me to part with money; then it was unknown personality who came, held my bag & ‘offered’ to help me carry it. I’m like ‘emm, no, thank you’ and in my mind, I’m like ‘my hands don’t look broken; I ain’t parting with no naira, dollar or even cent’. I thought ‘oh, the harassment has ended’ forgetting that I was STILL at the Nigerian airport.

I did my check-in and made my way to immigration and it was there I was reminded that I was still in Nigeria. First immigration officer was nice but wanted a tip and in my mind I’m like ‘why should I give you money because I am travelling; don’t you know how much dollar is?’ The second immigration officer was where the issue was. He checks my passport because it’s a new passport and sees no stamp, immediately starts harassing me (it was a new passport but not my first time travelling). Then he goes ‘let me just stamp for you because if I send you down there, they will harass you, but you MUST give me something’. Now, the difference between the first & second immigration officer was that the first asked nicely for a tip, this one flat out demanded a BRIBE. Is there a law that says new passport holders cannot travel? How will the passport stop being new if it is not used in travelling out? Well, since I didn’t ‘tip’ the first officer though he asked nicely, I refused to BRIBE him. True to his word, he sent me and my passport down to the association-of-immigration-officers corner thinking he has dealt with me. The lady he sent my passport to asked me for my visa, checked with my passport, asked for my travel allowance and when she saw I was legit, she gave me my passport and asked me to go and get stamped. As I left, my eyes and that of the second immigration officer met and he could see my victory stare and smile.

.... to be continued
i read your story, it was interesting but you didnt tell us if you had sexz with the white guy u talked about that was always looking at you or with any other guy in dubai. just curious

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 9:22am On May 22, 2018
Trenton:

we are in the grave already

Haba!grin
I reject it in Jesus name. We are on Mount Zion,the city of The Great King!

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 9:24am On May 22, 2018
NewBea:

That explains your optimism. Come back to Nigeria and live then try being optimistic again.

hahaha..abeg make una sofri for my country Nigeria matter o grin
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by giga02(m): 9:25am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:

I depends on your budget.. for some, they like to splurge on hotel, while others don't mind staying any hotel.

Shopping is another thing, the difference between H&M & Gucci shopping or buying at the market vs buying in malls is money.

Do you want to tour as well? Money is involved. The minimum I can advise you to hold is $1k as your spending money but be prudent. As for the hotel, choice is key.
Thanks! I go point very well..... Every reader of your post also want to tour cos you took us to Dubai and we landed safely virtually. Make I go double my hustle so my virtual visit will turn to reality. Thanks!
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 9:25am On May 22, 2018
DisGuy:
Very interesting...wish there's more touristy reviews and pics but seems shopping is the number 1 priority for most Nigerian tourist especially females cheesy

Lalasticlala

Apart from these, what other stuff would you like review on?
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 9:27am On May 22, 2018
Chloe88:
WTF.. Nigeria is better than Dubai sad

hahaha cheesy grin
Care to explain? grin
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by emperorblog(m): 9:33am On May 22, 2018
read cool and interesting story on www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 9:33am On May 22, 2018
BLAQUEWELSH:
ok. bon voyage

Hahaha but you asked for a traveling partner, not fair! And to think I took you seriously cheesy grin
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by id4sho(m): 9:34am On May 22, 2018
nurexfutmx:

I plan going first week in July
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHER, I CELEBRATE YOU. i guess, futmite almatata.
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Akorkor(f): 9:50am On May 22, 2018
MPESA:

Sir mostly first timers na must ooo , remembered some time last year a guy cough out whooping some of 50$ and gave to one idiot at MMA, seriously I nearly cry thou I have seen many of such too.

The last time i dropped money was 2013 and to imagine that the immigration staff i gave money too are newly graduate recruit. I was so pissed for giving 5k then but all na story now

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by dvkot(m): 9:51am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:

@dvkot.... please, who is that?? grin grin grin
A Nigerian Prince Of Dubai
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by tolufase: 10:09am On May 22, 2018
Pretty nice write up. I thought you're gonna talk about hustling aspect it but you didn't.

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by DisGuy: 10:16am On May 22, 2018
boyjo:

Apart from these, what other stuff would you like review on?

Most cities have top ten must see/visit places or even restaurants/activities....so these are the types of reviews i was talking
But as she said she went partially for business so I understand it's not entirely possible

Just got back from 5 days in Barcelona but I doubt i can write extensively but loads of pics of main tourist sites

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Sapphire86(f): 10:16am On May 22, 2018
giga02:

Thanks! I go point very well..... Every reader of your post also want to tour cos you took us to Dubai and we landed safely virtually. Make I go double my hustle so my virtual visit will turn to reality. Thanks!

I deserve some accolade grin cheesy grin cheesy

I’m happy we all went along on the journey; but trust me, Dubai has much more
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Sapphire86(f): 10:18am On May 22, 2018
Gettreadyy:
i read your story, it was interesting but you didnt tell us if you had sexz with the white guy u talked about that was always looking at you or with any other guy in dubai. just curious

cheesy grin grin grin

No sex with him oooo; but if i did have sex with him or any white guy, I wouldn’t have included it. That’s my personal personal life na; not trying to write a story for the sex forum.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Sapphire86(f): 10:21am On May 22, 2018
dvkot:
A Nigerian Prince Of Dubai

Sorry.... I only write about reputable people doing great things or the president of your country grin grin grin not people I don’t know where they are from disturbing the peace cheesy
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by id4sho(m): 10:24am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:

Not only is Dubai beautiful, but it is well thought out. A big shout-out to the ruler of Dubai HRH (His Royal Highness) Sheikh Al Maktoum and the crown prince of Dubai HRH Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum for their insight and leadership. It is clear that their own executive meetings yield results (I don’t know what they do in the Federal Executive Meeting here in Nigeria but God will help us sha). I can’t really explain the beauty of Dubai other than to describe it as ‘Real Estate Money’ at its best. Dubai is Real Estate money but Abu Dhabi is Oil money. The president of UAE is also the crown price and ruler of Abu Dhabi while the vice president of UAE is the ruler of Dubai. From my research so far, they are exceptional leaders – of course, no one is perfect, but they are really doing great things for their nation. Let me digress a bit further and talk to you about Emaar Properties; yes, there are many construction companies in Dubai, but Emaar Properties is the ‘Olori’ or first of them all. Top construction companies in Dubai include Emaar, Damac, Nakheel, Meydan etc. and they are all making their money but clearly one’s balance sheet will be bigger than the other.

It is not uncommon to see many towers in Dubai with the Emaar logo on them; they are heavily involved in properties, malls, entertainment and hospitality. Their valuation as of 2017 was $14.6 billion and they aren’t slowing down. Emaar properties was instrumental in building Burj Khalifa and the Chairman is (as at when I watched the documentary) the 5th most powerful person in Dubai. How did the Burj Khalifa come about? HRH Sheikh Al Maktoum (the ruler of Dubai) called the CEO and said he wanted the tallest building in the world in Dubai. He gave him examples of all the tallest buildings as at then and HRH said ‘add them up and build one taller than them all’ and that was how the Burj Khalifa became a money making center for Dubai because there is an observation deck on the 124th, 125th and 148th floors (I haven’t been there yet but will get there eventually) where tourists can go and ‘observe’ (of course for a price) and there is also the a club on the 144th floor – highest level club in the world. There is an assess point from Burj Khalifa to the Dubai Mall. Dubai is really a product of vision and good leadership. What they don’t know, they source for it worldwide and bring such man power to their country, make them comfortable and the end result is magic!! The downside of living in Dubai is the smoking habit; because in every building, smoking is prohibited, so smokers just chill on the streets and smoke their lives away and the air becomes polluted.

My journey to and fro via the metro was an educational moment for me; I was able to connect with all the places I had read about but soon the train was back to Al Rigga meaning I was back ‘home’. I got down and went to Al Ghurair (but this time I didn’t enter the mall) where I proceeded to go to Burger King for lunch. I got a whopper burger for 23 AED – fries, burger and a drink before going to Juice world to try something new and believe me, there was something new. It was 3 different types of ice-cream filled with assorted fruits and almond (na wa o, these people here are living the life) all for a whooping 30 AED (hey, you only live once abi?’ I quickly made my way back to my hotel so I could devour the meal ‘Tobi Bakre style’. But immediately I ate, my head started pounding; I guess my body was dehydrated from the fast so I took a nap thinking I would be relieved but upon waking at 8.45pm I wasn’t relieved so I knew it was time for me to dress and go buy Panadol.
Stepping out of the hotel, I saw one white guy (he may not be European but he is sha white), our eyes met and I continued my journey. 5 minutes into my journey, I looked at my side and saw the dude! He asks me for my number and says he followed me from the hotel to where he intercepted me (na wa o). I didn’t have a UAE sim which I told him, and he asked if I was staying at the hotel to which I answered affirmative (imagine, we were both staying at the same hotel) and he asked nicely for me to call his intercom. I was just laughing. My people, night waka is wonderful ooooo. See people dining, smoking, shopping and chilling at past 10pm. Shops were showing no signs of closing even Banks were still open! People were changing money at that hour – that’s security and stability @ its peak! There was no fear or uncertainty over there. I was not left out as I did some light shopping too. There are stores along the road from Pierre Cardin outlet store to Philippine store to Mimiso and some restaurants – clearly Dubai doesn’t sleep. I must have some more evening/night trips. I returned to my room and had a peaceful night rest, tomorrow was Mall of Emirates adventure.

1st Pic is the ruler of Dubai
2nd Pic is the crown prince of Dubai (he's handsome ba? but he is a no nonsense person ooo)
3rd Pic is Emaar taking over
P.S. if you know anyone in Emaar properties, i am interested in a job there oooo grin grin
This write-up is very captivating. I love your writing skills .
errrrm

errrm
i think am in love with you from my head.
Meanwhile gist us about the white toaster, how it all went and the naija babe shakara wey you do. Tiri gbosa 2 u.

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by cescky(m): 10:26am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:

I deserve some accolade grin cheesy grin cheesy

I’m happy we all went along on the journey; but trust me, Dubai has much more

Nice one..

Never been to Dubai but you took me there for a few mins.. grin

Hopefully I'll do the physical part sometime this year.

It's hard for a gold fish to hide..kudos, your evidently God fearing. And from your profile pic cute ...in other words you reek of wonderful wife material wink.

Did you ever find out why you were always looked at akwardly in your hotel..that part really irked me.. racist are just plain dumb beings..but also I think any black man, that is unnecessarily bothered about racism is a man who doesn't know his God, especially if he/ she is a Christian, cos all humanity is cut from the same cloth..but we wear diff skin cloths that's all...

For the headache after the ice cream( sugar)..not to alarm you...pls check your sugar/ cholesterol levels..

Kudos fine one
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by dealslip(f): 10:38am On May 22, 2018
peacengine:

In America they give tips too. Maybe not to such officers but to waitress and waiters. Here, they may sack people for doing it, if it's against company policy. The immigration man wrong to insist on it but if we write and send complaints maybe it can be handled properly. Sometimes I dash police money because they ask but i didn't bribe, just gave him lunch for helping me.
In American they don't demand or beg for tips most people just put the tip in the receipt folder and the waiter gets it. Sometimes the tipper would have gone with out even informing the waiter. Here in Naija the waiters begs and follow you up and down like the tip is their birthright.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by ab11baddo(m): 10:44am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:

Thank you very very much for the compliments..... you should try Dubai, its not so bad na. Do you want to be sexing on the road? Cuz that's the only restriction I see and the fact that alcohol is bloody expensive.
for me....segregating genders isnt cool....the laws of the land are strict concerning interactions with both gender
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Kheney89: 11:04am On May 22, 2018
Sapphire86:
..... (cont'd)

Woke up very early because I’d like to get to the dining room early. Breakfast is served from 7 – 10:30am; I noticed that I am the ONLY black and a female at that in the hotel and when I arrived the Cinnamon Room (the name for their dining room) some days back at around 9am or so, people were just staring at me. I felt very uncomfortable, so I decided to head to the Cinnamon room early and leave early. Of course, I wouldn’t have done so if I had company but what can I do? I said I was going to leave the hotel by 10am to go to Deira City Centre (DCC) for shopping but ended up leaving by 11am because the spirit of sleep was operating heavily in my life. Today was metro day; I decided to take the metro to DCC and return by cab due to shopping bags. Metro experience was really, really nice; it was my 3rd time on a train and 2nd in Dubai; I mostly travel by cabs (London never jam me yet). I really don’t know how to explain the metro system in Dubai other than it was timely, effective and costs less. 6 Dirhams got me to DCC within 2 minutes of getting my ticket; now I know I’m gonna ‘metro’ a lot these next few days.

Finally, I’m entering DCC and in my mind I was like ‘viola, my old friend’ and as expected, the whole mall was on sales! I don’t know how they were going to make profits, but I know that revenue would skyrocket. People were on ground ready to take advantage of the discounts, but the mall wasn’t crowded like Balogun market during Christmas period. Malls are everywhere so it wasn’t like there was any particular reason for everyone to camped at the same place that’s why Ikeja City Mall is always a no-no for me during weekends, festive periods and public holidays. I can’t endure traffic to enter mall, pray to locate parking spot and wander aimlessly at the mall because there is nothing exciting going on. Upon my ascent with the escalator, I found my Etisalat store and in my mind, I was like ‘today na today, I’m getting my sim’ but I was in for a surprise. I asked the man who was in charge of ticketing about the sim and he asked if I had my passport, to which I responded ‘yes’. Just when he was about printing my ticket number, I asked him the cost of a sim and he said ‘105 Dirhams’ and as a prudent person I sharply calculated the cost of a sim, airtime and data and estimated to be at least $50, I decided it wasn’t worth it. Anybody that urgently needs to reach me can contact me on my WhatsApp. I would rather use that $50 to shop for clothes (lol).
Feeling like....i am the one on that trip ��
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 11:07am On May 22, 2018
Izuogu1:
see this one... How does what she does for a living concern u? So somebody cannot go to Dubai and enjoy herself again ba?

hahaha, see me o!
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by boyjo: 11:09am On May 22, 2018
DisGuy:

Most cities have top ten must see/visit places or even restaurants/activities....so these are the types of reviews i was talking
But as she said she went partially for business so I understand it's not entirely possible

Just got back from 5 days in Barcelona but I doubt i can write extensively but loads of pics of main tourist sites

Come on man, just open a thread and post the pics. "No too much talk". She be woman nah grin
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 11:18am On May 22, 2018
I Really Enjoyed This Thread
I hope God Will Bless Me Someday To have a Taste Of this kinda Tour... Thanks Sapphire For Sharing Your Story
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by jbtobsyn(m): 11:18am On May 22, 2018
obonujoker:

U mean wen our generation has gone or wen will Nigeria be better than Western countries??
When I become Nigeria's president.
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Sapphire86(f): 11:29am On May 22, 2018
ab11baddo:
for me....segregating genders isnt cool....the laws of the land are strict concerning interactions with both gender

True but I saw obvious PDA amongst couples not too western sha

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Inside Abakaliki Street Awka, Renamed Club Zone, That's Causing Uproar / Inspection Of Passengers’ Manifests At Onitsha Head-Bridge (Photos) / This Little Girl Headed To London All By Herself(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.