Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,648 members, 7,820,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Do Mermaids Really Exist??? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Mermaids Really Exist??? (7751 Views)

Are Mermaids Fallen Angels? / Mermaids Dey In Existence Ooo.. / Do Mermaids Exist?? Share Your Encounter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by vaxx: 4:55pm On May 18, 2018
Seun:
This is a great way to express my position on the existence of God. Just change “my previous neighbour” to “religion”. There is no evidence for the existence of mermaids, and the people that claim to have seen them are liars or delusional.

From an evolutionary POV, without considering the lack of evidence, aquatic human beings are extremely unlikely to exist because we do not share the common ancestor that mammals in the sea (whales and dolphins) share. It is from this ancestor that they got most of the features that allow them to thrive in the sea, such as nostrils at the top of their heads, strong flippers and tails and for swimming with great speed and agility, the ability to hold their breaths for a very long time, their aerodynamic shape that reduces drag as they swim, the ability to give birth under water, the layer of fat that protects them from freezing in cold water, the ability to communicate under water, etc. Human beings cannot live in the sea just because they have tails. It takes far more than that. The biologically changes needed to make human beings seaworthy would make them unrecognizable as human beings, or extremely ugly.

Quick question: if mermaids are spirits, why do they usually have tails? They aren’t physically swimming in the water, right?
seun . have you heard of the waterside hypothesis of human evolution also known as aquatic apes hypothesis? if so what is your conclusion?.
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by Obainoneandonly(m): 5:01pm On May 18, 2018
Grupo:

I grew up in the village bro. I know that in my village then, people dare not go to the stream once it is 7pm. I know this is what obtains in several other villages.

Now, you are trying to tell me that your sister went to the stream at 10pm. Did she take a touch light to the stream? Or the moon was shining that night. Or there were street lights lining the sides of the stream? Don't you see that your story sounds incredible?

I understand that sometimes, we garnish stories like this to make them seem real, but I must tell you that your story is false.

In my village, there is this story about a popular native doctor who never tasted death. They claimed it happened in the 80s. The story was that the man evaporated through smoke and has never been seen up to this day. If I want to make you believe this story, I would simply tell you that I was there when it happened or something like that.

Mermaids belong to folklore and should be let to remain there.
doubt it if u like. I can't be arguing on wat am sure of..ur village and mine is very different
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by frank317: 7:02pm On May 18, 2018
Who goes to swim by 10 pm... na wa for some kain stories ooooo.

Ur father came to tell u some false stories just to scare u up as a kid and stop u guys from playing around at night near the water.

U claim u saw the mermaid but cannkt give a single detail about her...

Can we just focus on why ur sis and her friends were bathing in the stream by 10pm?

As for the mermaid story... leave that thing... ur parents succeeded in scaring the shiiitt out of u, i bet no kids in the village go to the stream by 10 pm till this day. Exactly what such stories are meant for.

Obainoneandonly:
doubt it if u like. I can't be arguing on wat am sure of..ur village and mine is very different

3 Likes

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by awesomeJ(m): 8:51pm On May 18, 2018
Seun:
This is a great way to express my position on the existence of God. Just change “my previous neighbour” to “religion”. There is no evidence for the existence of mermaids, and the people that claim to have seen them are liars or delusional.

From an evolutionary POV, without considering the lack of evidence, aquatic human beings are extremely unlikely to exist because we do not share the common ancestor that mammals in the sea (whales and dolphins) share. It is from this ancestor that they got most of the features that allow them to thrive in the sea, such as nostrils at the top of their heads, strong flippers and tails and for swimming with great speed and agility, the ability to hold their breaths for a very long time, their aerodynamic shape that reduces drag as they swim, the ability to give birth under water, the layer of fat that protects them from freezing in cold water, the ability to communicate under water, etc. Human beings cannot live in the sea just because they have tails. It takes far more than that. The biologically changes needed to make human beings seaworthy would make them unrecognizable as human beings, or extremely ugly.

Quick question: if mermaids are spirits, why do they usually have tails? They aren’t physically swimming in the water, right?
Your position on the existence of God is what's prideful, delusional and ridiculous.

For if there are countless number of folks who encounter Him on a daily basis, and you keep making baseless rants thinking you're smart, doesn't that make you ridiculous?

The guy who prayed for his dead sister and brought her back to
life after 12 days of death, go and rant endlessly to him, and see if you make any headway.
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by dalaman: 8:56pm On May 18, 2018
awesomeJ:

Your position on the existence of God is what's prideful, delusional and ridiculous.

For if there are countless number of folks who encounter Him on a daily basis, and you keep making baseless rants thinking you're smart, doesn't that make you ridiculous?

The guy who prayed for his dead sister and brought her back to
life after 12 days of death
, go and rant endlessly to him, and see if you make any headway.

Shut up you liar!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by topsyking: 12:11pm On May 19, 2018
I still dont think you people read the bible at all.. The bible mention mermaid,dragon and even unicorn. its there.. just read or search google bible for this words and you will see the verses in the bible
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by Grupo(m): 2:04pm On May 19, 2018
topsyking:
I still dont think you people read the bible at all.. The bible mention mermaid,dragon and even unicorn. its there.. just read or search google bible for this words and you will see the verses in the bible

We should read the Bible you say? You think all of us believe fairy tales?
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by delishpot: 7:35pm On May 19, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
am telling u,some people made a hell of money out of it.each compound was made to pay some certain of money,when I calculated it,it was in d hundreds of thousand.
the most money they made came from tree log.many trees were cutted,because d priest said its inside d woods dat d mermaids live.d wood they sold was in the millions.woods that have been there for hundreds of years

maybe it was even planned work

1 Like

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 19, 2018
dalaman:

Shut up you liar!

Lol. Na so the anger catch you? Me I'm a Christian but I don't believe that oo
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by Seun(m): 7:25pm On May 23, 2018
vaxx:
seun . have you heard of the waterside hypothesis of human evolution also known as aquatic apes hypothesis? if so what is your conclusion?.
Well, it seems to be a hypothesis which a lot of lay people find attractive, but it has not been accepted by evolutionary biologists because the evidence for it is very weak.

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by Ayobami7(m): 7:28pm On May 23, 2018
No oo
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by awesomeJ(m): 9:24pm On May 23, 2018
Seun:
Well, it seems to be a hypothesis which a lot of lay people find attractive, but it has not been accepted by evolutionary biologists because the evidence for it is very weak.
And you think that of your chimpanzee ancestors is any better. After death, there are no more atheists. your eyes'll will become clear to the obvious realities you're choosing to ignore now.
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 1:50am On May 24, 2018
forreelinc:
ask your father if mermaids exist

ur mumu na grade 1
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 1:51am On May 24, 2018
Earthbound:
Legends of mermaids have been told for millennia by many tribes civilizations apart.

Take solace in that fact.

If you're still inquisitive, go to VI, and pick up a random sex worker from one of Nigeria's riverine areas, then proceed to ask her.

are u telling me dose sex workers are mermaid
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 1:55am On May 24, 2018
Tosinex:
They exist.. Of course there are spirits that live inside water and they have their own body too

I know m jes asking jes to b sure
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 1:58am On May 24, 2018
trapQ:
Yes they do.

One mama even told me that she saw one when she went to get water from the river when she was younger. She conversed with the email who told her she would have a baby who will be a "dada" and that the baby would have certain abilities. She also asked them never to cut the Hair of the baby.that was to come.

So dada grew up and had abilities like being able to fortell some events. One day they cut "dada's" hair and that was the last time they saw him. For over 20 years dada has been missing with no trace.

This is not fiction. I know this old woman, she's not that old so her senses are fully intact. O know her daughter too who happens to be the brother of the missing son "dada", I also know her grand children who all confirmed the story.

are u sure it's mermaid she saw bcus I am hearing different things...some are saying once it sees human being it run...some are saying it attacks,some are saying it helps.. Wich one I go believe like diz
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 1:59am On May 24, 2018
Paulscholari:
A mermaid exist o... They're not wicked like we humans and they are very beautiful.

bro seeing z believing now...at least we normally c shark ND oda animals
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 2:02am On May 24, 2018
AustineE1:

You took us through a long journey into the realm of (mis)interpretation and am finding it very hard to dispute your manipulative lies. I'm sure op will be more confused than ever before. However,the truth remains that there are angels and demons,therefore the demons that exists in marine environment,makes up the marine spirit hence the mermaid. There are reports of those who have encountered it both in Nigeria and elsewhere,while some claim she gave them wealth others hold her responsible for there misfortune.
I remember an old Nigerian musician sang songs in appreciation of mammy water,can't get his name now,he sang and i quote 'if you see mammy water never never you run away...'!
My candid advice to the op,'curiosity they say,kills the cat',dont waste valuable time searching for the existence or non existence of mermaid,live your life like tomorrow is your last day,be good to all the people you can while you can and allow lifes mystery sort itself out.
God bless you!

austine tenk u...I appreciate
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 2:04am On May 24, 2018
vaxx:
i welcome possibility

Fish from the waist down; human from the waist up. such species may likely exist, an evolutionary proponent should consider this. human and fish both have common ancestors. so having a cousin who is both human and fish at the same time should not be a big deal, just like hippopotamus who look more like pig but belong to whales family for example. biologically if such a creature exist they will fall under mammals. they will lived near the surface of the sea and came up for air like other aquatic mammals. and someone may suggest if that is the case we would have already found, killed and categorized them by now. but the person should know that not all aquatic species are known. in fact there is still more to be known.

Currently there is one place on the planet where a completely unknown civilization could exist if a very large number of fairly improbable events happened and a lot of conditions were met. That place is proposed underground ocean:

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/huge-underground-ocean-discovered-towards-earths-core/

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/13/earth-may-have-underground-ocean-three-times-that-on-surface

it seems that the op is a crazy fan of mermaids , op you can consult a genetic engineering , they may probably find a way of creating a species like that.... try watching this movie ''Splash'' there is a rumor, it is a documentary and not just a movie!!

I'll watch d film later...can u tell me more about the underground ocean
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 2:05am On May 24, 2018
Tosinex:
I've not seen one physically though I wish to see them in the physical realm, I've only encountered them in the spiritual realm, I was running towards a large body of water because some people were pursuing me, and I saw this beautiful mermaid half fish half human swam towards me, kill those that were pursuing me and then took me away on her back smiley

she took u into d water in d dream bro?
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 2:06am On May 24, 2018
Anas09:
When your father told you what he told you, what was your response?

nothing...was jes amazed
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 2:12am On May 24, 2018
Seun:

From an evolutionary POV, without considering the lack of evidence, aquatic human beings are extremely unlikely to exist because we do not share the common ancestor that mammals in the sea (whales and dolphins) share. It is from this ancestor that they got most of the features that allow them to thrive in the sea, such as nostrils at the top of their heads, strong flippers and tails and for swimming with great speed and agility, the ability to hold their breaths for a very long time, their aerodynamic shape that reduces drag as they swim, the ability to give birth under water, the layer of fat that protects them from freezing in cold water and gives them buoyancy, the ability to communicate under water, etc. Human beings cannot live in the sea just because they have tails. It takes far more than that. The biologically changes needed to make human beings seaworthy would make them unrecognizable as human beings.

exactly bro...you said it all...dis always makes me more curious...as u said...how will dey breate,communicate etc

but all dose osun worshippers normally claim dey see it...

can we say dey r deceiving themselves or wat...

but bro God exist oo...100 percent

1 Like

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 2:13am On May 24, 2018
joseff14:

Yeah, that's true. Most of this stuff always happen when there's no camera. Those mermaid must b scared of camera since we don't see dem around this days.

joseff u jes said my mind
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by forreelinc(m): 5:57am On May 24, 2018
midehill:

ur mumu na grade 1
grin coming from the slowest troll ever, that's rich
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by midehill(m): 10:24am On May 24, 2018
forreelinc:

grin coming from the slowest troll ever, that's rich

lool na u sabi
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by driversng: 2:03pm On May 24, 2018
Seun:
Seun, we made payment for our advert since 2 months ago, you refused to activate our advert. this is really not good and a very big lapse.

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by ifenes(m): 4:38pm On May 24, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
u know,some people will just stay in Lagos,porthacourt,abuja etc. and say tins don't happen.sh*t happens in d village, strange tins dat are hard to believe.if I didn't witnessed it now and someone just start telling d thing.i would say its a lie,but i witnessed it live and direct.and all d procedures dat was don to drive d creature away

Interesting! I have witnessed one when I was really young,about 13/14 years of age,but on a different level. I didn’t run, I had a conversation with it. I’m using “it” because I had no clue what it was but the voice was feminine. After making lots of findings I now know we share the planet with other life forms. Humans mistakenly think they are alone on the planet and the universe. They are so wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by ifenes(m): 4:46pm On May 24, 2018
trapQ:
Yes they do.

One mama even told me that she saw one when she went to get water from the river when she was younger. She conversed with the email who told her she would have a baby who will be a "dada" and that the baby would have certain abilities. She also asked them never to cut the Hair of the baby.that was to come.

So dada grew up and had abilities like being able to fortell some events. One day they cut "dada's" hair and that was the last time they saw him. For over 20 years dada has been missing with no trace.

This is not fiction. I know this old woman, she's not that old so her senses are fully intact. O know her daughter too who happens to be the brother of the missing son "dada", I also know her grand children who all confirmed the story.

They are extremely psychic in nature and live much more longer than humans. Hence a lot of Shamen get knowledge of the planet and universe from them. Mermaid talk is not for science students or religious folks who have been brainwashed. This is top secret only known to the elites, not for the average humans.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by ifenes(m): 5:05pm On May 24, 2018
Seun:

From an evolutionary POV, without considering the lack of evidence, aquatic human beings are extremely unlikely to exist because we do not share the common ancestor that mammals in the sea (whales and dolphins) share. It is from this ancestor that they got most of the features that allow them to thrive in the sea, such as nostrils at the top of their heads, strong flippers and tails and for swimming with great speed and agility, the ability to hold their breaths for a very long time, their aerodynamic shape that reduces drag as they swim, the ability to give birth under water, the layer of fat that protects them from freezing in cold water and gives them buoyancy, the ability to communicate under water, etc. Human beings cannot live in the sea just because they have tails. It takes far more than that. The biologically changes needed to make human beings seaworthy would make them unrecognizable as human beings.

I gotta say your idea of god is distorted by religion from the very beginning. . If you have the wrong knowledge of god due to what religion said it is to, then it is your duty to find out what really god is. Religion is only a distortion of truth. The dangerous part is you ignoring the truth due to religion. It’s like believe the tv powers itself. What powers the TV can also charge your phone or if care is not taken can also burn down a house. That is what God is, it powers you too and you are it. Regardless of belief system or scientific knowledge, we are all powered by God, which actually is the real us. The body is only a covering

As for mermaids, why not ? There are different species and life forms on this planet that don’t look like us. The Octopus for example is extremely alien to you and I. Supposedly it hasn’t been discovered, you will never accept it can exist. Sometimes ones belief system can become a stumbling block. Anything can exist, whether with evidence or not.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by vaxx: 7:01pm On May 24, 2018
Seun:
elaine morgarn a reputable biologist gave an interesting lecture on the concept. She actually support it. .http://www.ted.com/talks/elaine_morgan_says_we_evolved_from_aquatic_apes.html
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by MuttleyLaff: 7:05pm On May 24, 2018
vaxx:
elaine morgarn a reputable biologist gave an interesting lecture on the concept.
She actually support it. .h t t p://www.ted.com/talks/elaine_morgan_says_we_evolved_from_aquatic_apes.html
Kikiki, vaxx you no go keel pesin sha
Re: Do Mermaids Really Exist??? by vaxx: 9:44pm On May 24, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Kikiki, vaxx you no go keel pesin sha
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

King Solomon In The Bible And Bill Gates, Who Is The Richest / This Will End Fulani Killings. This Thread Is For Sons Of God Only / Pope Declares Seat Of Bishop Of Ahiara Mbaise Catholic Diocese Vacant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.