Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? (28936 Views)

Sadiq Umar Named In Europa League Team Of The Week / Vincent Enyeama Makes Africa’s Best Ever XI By The Sun UK / Paul Pogba Named In The Premier League Team Of The Year. See Full List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by jaybee3(m): 11:30am On May 17, 2018
wagazala:

I disagree. The question was rather simple, Best EPL team. At this point other trophies outside the EPL doesn't count. Your judgement should be based on achievements in the EPL eg wins, goals etc.

If the question were to be best team of the year, the local cups, foreign cups etc could come into consideration.

The fact that he listed their achievements at the end of the season isn't a factor?

Everything should be taken into consideration if you going to list 'em

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by SmartyPants(m): 11:33am On May 17, 2018
snowden9:
Manchester United 1998/1999 aka Treble Winners

Win- 22
Draw- 13
Lose- 3
Points- 79
Epl Goals- 80
Other trophies : Fa Cup, UEFA champions league

Most Used Team: GK- Schmeichel
DF- Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Jaap Stam, Denis Irwin
MF- David Beckham, Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes
FW- Andy cole, Dwight yorke

Review: The 1998–99 season was the most successful season in the history of Manchester United Football Club . After finishing the previous season without winning any titles, United won a treble of trophies (the Premier League , FA Cup and UEFA Champions League), the first side in English football to achieve such a feat.

During the campaign United lost only five times, including a one-off Charity Shield fixture, in the League Cup against eventual winners Tottenham Hotspur and their only home defeat, a league match against Middlesbrough in December 1998.

Fergie's men remained undefeated from Boxing Day that season, picking up an incredible 48 points from a possible 60 on offer. And they did it all while successfully chasing FA Cup and Champions League glory.

To add to it all, United sealed the treble with a homegrown core of David Beckham , Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Phil Neville.

i think the comparison should start from the 21st Century and without a doubt the 2007/2008 Man Utd team was better than all these ones.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Josh64(m): 11:33am On May 17, 2018
wagazala:

Best EPL team is different from Best overall team. Its like saying the Player of the year must come from the team that wins the competition.

No! Op listed their achievements for the year including all trophies won. You can't just dominate one competition and expect to be named best in the country for that. You have to do it when it matters most and as brilliant as City was this season, they simply failed on the biggest stages. They tanked it against Liverpool and Wigan in the FA cup. They have a long way to go to match United 98 team IMO.
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by wagazala: 11:35am On May 17, 2018
Josh64:

No! Op listed their achievements for the year including all trophies won. You can't just dominate one competition and expect to be named best in the country for that. You have to do it when it matters most and as brilliant as City was this season, they simply failed on the biggest stages. They tanked it against Liverpool and Wigan in the FA cup. They have a long way to go to match United 98 team IMO.

Simple question, which team the best EPL team this year?
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by maisauki: 11:36am On May 17, 2018
had I love yesteryear glory, I would have gone for...
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea
but I love fresh-from-bakery-bread so I'll go for...
#hala Madrid
Man city
Tottenham (those guys are something else)
Liverpool( renewed fervour courtesy of jurgen klopp /salah

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by wagazala: 11:38am On May 17, 2018
jaybee3:

The fact that he listed their achievements at the end of the season isn't a factor?

Everything should be taken into consideration if you going to list 'em

I see your point.
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Josh64(m): 11:41am On May 17, 2018
wagazala:

Simple question, which team the best EPL team this year?

See question o. Na Stoke! We are rating previous championship teams and u are asking the best this year.
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by toluxe0075: 11:49am On May 17, 2018
Man city by far. Well these stats says it all:
-Most points won in a single season in EPL history-100 points (beating Chelsea's 95 points)
-Most consecutive wins in a single season- 18 (beating Chelsea's 13 win)
- Most wins in a single EPL season- 32 (beating Chelsea's 30 wins)
-Most goal difference in a single EPL season- +79goals
-Most away wins and points in a single EPL season - 16 wins and 50 points( beating Chelsea's 15 away wins and 48 points)
-Most goals scored in a single EPL season- 106 goals (beating Chelsea's 103 goals)
-Most points ahead of second -19 points (beating man utd 18 points lead ahead of arsenal).

If you think any other team is better with the stats above, then you need to be flogged with koboko.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by brightalo17: 11:51am On May 17, 2018
The only Gold winning team is Arsenal... even if you win the league with 1 million points and 2 million goals without winning gold then you're as good as Leicester city that won the same silver plated trophy.

Gold can't be compared with Silver.

Arsenal Won the only gold trophy in EPL history so far.They're the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by jaybee3(m): 11:51am On May 17, 2018
wagazala:

I see your point.

Another reason why you can’t disregard the feat achieved by ManU is:

2 of the losses suffered was in and around Champions league matches with Barcelona.
First loss of the season was on the 20th of September (They drew 3-3 with Barcelona 4 days prior to the match)
Second loss was on the 21st of November (They drew 3-3 with Barcelona 4 days after the loss)

The only fluke loss was with Middlesbrough at home on the 19th of December which can be argued that SAF rotated players to handle the rigours of December period

ManU must have been efficient with their 3 losses despite winning the big 3.

It’s was almost unheard of being competitive on 3 fronts back in the days considering how squads weren’t dominated by international players
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by obonujoker(m): 11:56am On May 17, 2018
toluxe0075:

Man city by far. Well these stats says it all:
-Most points won in a single season in EPL history-100 points (beating Chelsea's 95 points)
-Most consecutive wins in a single season- 18 (beating Chelsea's 13 win)
- Most wins in a single EPL season- 32 (beating Chelsea's 30 wins)
-Most goal difference in a single EPL season- +79goals
-Most away wins and points in a single EPL season - 16 wins and 50 points( beating Chelsea's 15 away wins and 48 points)
-Most goals scored in a single EPL season- 106 goals (beating Chelsea's 103 goals)
-Most points ahead of second -19 points (beating man utd 18 points lead ahead of arsenal).

If think any other team is better with the stats above, then you need to be flogged with koboko.

Why was Chelsea not regarded as EPL best team ever before??

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by dotna(m): 12:01pm On May 17, 2018
YNWA.. The KOP

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by rman: 12:03pm On May 17, 2018
The year Arsenal went unbeaten, their points total is still below Man City's and the year Chelsea won with 95pts

So it is

Man City
Chelsea
Man U and
Arsenal in that order

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by obonujoker(m): 12:06pm On May 17, 2018
rman:
The year Arsenal went unbeaten, their points total is still below Man City's and the year Chelsea won with 95pts

So it is

Man City
Chelsea
Man U and
Arsenal in that order

So that means Guardiola's barca is not the best laliga team ever??
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by rman: 12:07pm On May 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Yes
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by obonujoker(m): 12:10pm On May 17, 2018
According to some barca and man city fans, using their logic... these are the top 3 best LA liga teams ever....

Real Madrid ( 2012)... Jose
Barcelona (2013/14)... Tito
Barcelona (2009)... Pep
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Baroba(m): 12:11pm On May 17, 2018
Rangers FC Enugu..
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 12:12pm On May 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Check our signature in blue here below and you will be better enlightened. You can contact us by clicking the WhatsApp Chat link...
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by obonujoker(m): 12:15pm On May 17, 2018
rman:

Yes

Hmmm...OK... so what team is then??
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Beedude(m): 12:17pm On May 17, 2018
E.P.L Fans U See Urself? 32 Wins In 38 Games, 100 Points, 106 Goals, Led 2nd By 19 Points. A Team Without Lionel Messi , C.Ronaldo Or Neymar. And U Will Be Bragging About Ur Overrated League And Keep Arguing Guardiola Was Successful At Barca And Bayern Coz He Has Messi And Bundesliga Is Quack. U Never See Anything
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by johnbuck81(m): 12:30pm On May 17, 2018
snowden9:
Here's my own take :
To all those non-indomie generation people like me that loved playing Mortal Kombat, you know the feeling you get after every 'Fatality' victory, it confirms that you weren't touched at all during the battle and I have to say, we all aimed towards achieving that feat whenever we played the game. You get where I'm going right? I guess so. Without much speech, the untouchable, undefeated, invincible, fatality team of Arsenal wins my vote.

1. Arsenal
2. Manchester City
3. Manchester United
4. Chelsea

Nairalanders, how about yours?
not being touched in a Mortal Kombat game fight is called "Flawless victory" and not fatality.
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by snowden9(m): 12:37pm On May 17, 2018
johnbuck81:
not being touched in a Mortal Kombat game fight is called "Flawless victory" and not fatality.
Thanks bro. made the correction. it's been ages that's why I forgot.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 17, 2018
toffyz:
" the centurion " for now is the best ever English premier league champion, breaking two great records- Point record and goal record.
They broke more than 2 records bro...
Straight wins...
highest goals...
highest points...
highest wins...
and many more...
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by bidak(m): 12:39pm On May 17, 2018
For me in this order
1. Manchester United:Nothing can be better than Winning champions league,epl and fa cup in the same season (They were just perfect that season) and were the best team not only in the league but also in the world that year
2. Arsenal: playing awhole season without losing is not that a child play , you need to be at your best always and they were during the 2003 season, they had the best attack and best defense in the league (You don’t get to see that everyday)
3.Manchester City: 2017/2018 city are the best we have seen in recent years , they were by far the best team in the league amassing a total of 100 out of 114 is a record that will take time to break
4. Chelsea: 2004/2005 Deserves a lot of credit coming from nowhere to win the league everybody was expecting either United or arsenal to win and winning it in style (Setting record with highest point and goals)
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by greypencils: 12:43pm On May 17, 2018
Its obvious the OP is partial in his analysis because he is an Arsenal Fan. He conveniently ignored the 2007/2008 Man Utd team despite their winning the Champions league trophy alongside the EPL title. Show me another English Club who has done this? Until then, you dont rate Man-united below any other team. In 98/99, 3 major trophies were won, you cant compare that to any other team.
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by arsenal33: 12:49pm On May 17, 2018
CSTR1003:
A large percentage of the records that Manchester City broke this season was set by Chelsea.

The highest points total ever set by Chelsea, the highest goals scored in a single season set by Chelsea, the highest number of straight wins also set by Chelsea.

And they were all broken by city.

They are not INVINCIBLE

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by AdorableJosh(m): 12:58pm On May 17, 2018
The best team in my opinion is Man Utd 1998/1999 season and all those other teams do not come close, admittedly it might be my bias but by God, none of those could beat the treble winning season. Not to undermine the achievements of others especially the Invincibles but winning those 3 trophies was no mean feat and Man Utd still remain the only English team to do it.
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by olametrix(m): 1:21pm On May 17, 2018
U dey crazy why liverpool fc my club no they the list

Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by dudebuck: 1:40pm On May 17, 2018
thesicilian:
Apart from the Arsenal Invincibles, I have never in my life seen an EPL team as good as this current Man City team. They were close to perfect!
it is very obvious you started watching football two or three years ago
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Goandie: 1:45pm On May 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Lol... doesn't matter... so long you also know that Ancelloti is better than Guardiola too....

if you want to compare both coaches den you will put alot of things in consideration like
1, how many teams have dey both coached
2, how much have dey spend on players
3 how many important trophies av dey both won.
4 den sentiment can now be allowed
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Skmoda360(m): 1:52pm On May 17, 2018
Chukazu:

Not everyone is a Fan of English league...but I think the OP should have included a Liverpool team
Liverpool, are you OK?
Re: Which Of These Is The Best Ever English Premier League Team? by Skmoda360(m): 1:52pm On May 17, 2018
dudebuck:
it is very obvious you started watching football two or three years ago
the guy is a fresher in the football viewing arena.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final / Ronaldo Wins Globe Soccer 2001-2020 Player Of The Century Award / Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.