Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,884 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed (1191 Views)

Costly Mistakes I Discovered in 250 CVs: Why They Were Not Invited 4 Interviews / 7 Fatal CV Mistakes That Leave Graduates Unemployed / 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leave Graduates Unemployed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by deluxegift(f): 2:24pm On May 17, 2018
7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leave Graduates Unemployed
naijaadvance.com.ng May 16, 2018 6:28 AM
As an HR person, I see over 100 to 200 CVs per day in my job. In most cases during recruitment, I receive over 2000 CVs for a specific job role. You can then calculate the figures when we have multiple job roles. I have decided to offer some advice to job seekers out there who are having lots of difficulties getting job interviews – even for jobs they are well qualified for.

As fresh HR personnel, I was flabbergasted by the silly mistakes made by job seekers, but along the line, I became used to seeing it. Your resume is your representative on paper. So if there is something that needs to be well-presented aside you physically, your CV should be that thing.

Below are the top 7 mistakes or areas where people let themselves down while searching for a job

Spelling, Typos, and Grammar

It is no longer news that the average Nigerian student possesses bad spelling habit. There are no excuses; you have to double check your spelling, grammar, in the most efficient way as possible. You can employ the use of spelling checkers; ask friends or family members to help.

I might make a mistake in this article, but it won’t affect anything in my career. But making a mistake on your resume is not an option at all. You would never have the chance to defend yourself.

Even if you aren’t proficient with English, you can employ the services of someone who can help you get the job done.

Cover Letter

Let’s not beat it; the basic aim of your resume is to know if you’ve got the required experience. The cover letter is what shows your motivation, and attention to details about the job requirements. Sending your resume without your cover letter (unless when there’s no room to send it) is like gifting someone a machine without the manual.

Cover letters are important for 3 reasons

ü To see if you have the ability to put together a business letter.

ü To see if you’ve analyzed the job role, company, and put some time into customizing a letter that accompanies your resume. Most times I get a letter that references other companies from job seekers – which is very bad.

ü To learn why you are applying for this present role.

Using Drab Career Objectives

Since the idea of inserting career objectives at the top of a resume came into the scene, we have seen it bastardized. Several times I come around people who copy and paste career objectives from job sites.

If you really feel cool about inserting a career objective at the top of your resume, then you should customize it for the job role you seek for.

Your Resume looks like a job description

Avoid statements like “Responsible for” or “Duties included”, these phrases belongs to job descriptions and not your resume. You need to focus on your achievements and accomplishments in your previous job roles. How will the present employer benefit from you?

Show them facts and figures of things you’ve achieved, not the job you carried out.

Contact Information

If you have your address in Kwara state on your CV, then you apply for a job whose location is in Lagos, how do you intend to explain that?

The first place I look at on any CV that comes into my desk is the candidate’s location. If it is within proximity, I can then proceed to check up on other details (If we aren’t having a large pool of resumes).

Avoiding the use of keywords

If your CV can’t pass the ATS test, then I advise you keep praying and fasting. If you have the right connections, then no need of passing your CV through software. But if you don’t, then you should know about the ATS software.

It screens out CVs from a pool where candidates have uploaded their resumes. It functions with the help of specific keywords keyed into the system by the hiring manager.

So if you have been sending out your CVs without callbacks, then this might be one mistake you are making.

What do you do?

If I look at your CV for 7 seconds and can’t figure out your areas of expertise, then I dump it and move onto the next. Nobody has all the time in the world to analyze a single CV unless an order has been given from above – it happens.

Your CV must be concise and professionally written to attract maximum attention – even if you are a fresher. You need to explain to me who you are via your CV like a 4-year old.

If most HR persons like me can’t get these details, we won’t be convinced about adding you up to our interview list.
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by BiafranBushBoy: 6:56pm On May 17, 2018
Copy cats everywhere!!

Pheew
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by deluxegift(f): 8:39pm On May 17, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
Copy cats everywhere!!
Pheew

As your name suggests
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by BiafranBushBoy: 9:29pm On May 17, 2018
deluxegift:

As your name suggests

Moforker.

I fuckinh wrote that article!!

You sickkk shii
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by deluxegift(f): 9:40pm On May 17, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

Moforker.

I fuckinh wrote that article!!

You sickkk shii
you wrote an article, someone saw it, liked it and decided to share. is vulgar language necessary?

really, as your name suggests
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by BiafranBushBoy: 9:44pm On May 17, 2018
deluxegift:

you wrote an article, someone saw it, liked it and decided to share. is vulgar language necessary?

really, as your name suggests

My name is more intelligent than you that won't just put your brain to work.

You just copied and posted the article, and even added it to your piece of shii blog!!

Delete this morforker piece of nonsense here!!

Lazy Nigerian blogger!
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by deluxegift(f): 10:32pm On May 17, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

My name is more intelligent than you that won't just put your brain to work.

You just copied and posted the article, and even added it to your piece of shii blog!!

Delete this morforker piece of nonsense here!!

Lazy Nigerian blogger!

m not a blogger
again, as your name suggests or maybe sth else this time
Re: 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leaves Graduates Unemployed by BiafranBushBoy: 10:42pm On May 17, 2018
deluxegift:

m not a blogger
again, as your name suggests or maybe sth else this time

Meirda

(1) (Reply)

Sobic Microfinance Vacancies / This NGO Needs Adhoc Staff In 10 States / Nigerian Custom Service Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.