Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

As D.I.Y. Gene Editing Gains Popularity, ‘someone Is Going To Get Hurt’ - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / As D.I.Y. Gene Editing Gains Popularity, ‘someone Is Going To Get Hurt’ (403 Views)

Scientists Say They Can Cut HIV Out Of Cells Using Crispr Gene-editing Technolog / US Approves First Gene Therapies To Treat Sickle Cell Patients / World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As D.I.Y. Gene Editing Gains Popularity, ‘someone Is Going To Get Hurt’ by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:19am On May 18, 2018
After a virus was created from mail-order DNA, scientists are sounding the alarm about the genetic tinkering carried out in garages and living rooms.

WASHINGTON — As a teenager, Keoni Gandall already was operating a cutting-edge research laboratory in his bedroom in Huntington Beach, Calif.

While his friends were buying video games, he acquired more than a dozen pieces of equipment — a transilluminator, a centrifuge, two thermocyclers — in pursuit of a hobby that once was the province of white-coated Ph.D.’s in institutional labs.

“I just wanted to clone DNA using my automated lab robot and feasibly make full genomes at home,” he said.

Mr. Gandall was far from alone. In the past few years, so-called biohackers across the country have taken gene editing into their own hands. As the equipment becomes cheaper and the expertise in gene-editing techniques, mostly Crispr-Cas9, more widely shared, citizen-scientists are attempting to re-engineer DNA in surprising ways.

But he is quick to acknowledge that the do-it-yourself genetics revolution one day may go catastrophically wrong.

“Even I would tell you, the level of DNA synthesis regulation, it simply isn’t good enough,” Mr. Gandall said. “These regulations aren’t going to work when everything is decentralized — when everybody has a DNA synthesizer on their smartphone.”

Read full article on

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/science/biohackers-gene-editing-virus.html

Re: As D.I.Y. Gene Editing Gains Popularity, ‘someone Is Going To Get Hurt’ by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:23am On May 18, 2018
Instead, he said, the agency relies on biohackers themselves to sound the alarm regarding suspicious behavior.

“I do believe the F.B.I. is doing their best with what they have,” said Dr. Thomas V. Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore.

“But if you really want to do this, there isn’t a whole lot stopping you.”

Underground Experimenters
The F.B.I. has befriended many white-hat biohacking labs, among them Genspace in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Behind an inconspicuous steel door on a gritty, graffiti-lined street, biohackers-in-training — musicians, engineers, retirees — routinely gather for crash courses in genetic engineering.

Participants in “Biohacker Boot Camp” learn basic technical skills to use in homegrown genetics projects, like concocting algae that glows.

Re: As D.I.Y. Gene Editing Gains Popularity, ‘someone Is Going To Get Hurt’ by oyoni(m): 7:25am On May 18, 2018
Zombie apocalypse loading.....
Re: As D.I.Y. Gene Editing Gains Popularity, ‘someone Is Going To Get Hurt’ by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:30am On May 18, 2018
oyoni:
Zombie apocalypse loading.....

That is what will happen, if you have too much unregulated freedom

State of Anarchy

Dominique can you imagine what will happen if this goes mainstream

Lalasticlala we will soon start reordering DNA via smartphones and send it by mail.

(1) (Reply)

The Best Health Insurance Companies In Lagos And Abuja. / Are You The Type That Fixes Eye Lens? See The Effect Now!!! / Main Causes Of Diabetes, Types, Symptoms And Ever Recommended Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.