Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical (4639 Views)

Great And Affordable Car Dealership Deals In Nigeria... / 5 Car Pricing Mistakes To Avoid In Car Dealership / Porsche Fan Crashed N49m Cayenne Into Dealership After Not Getting Optional Xtra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:28am On May 21, 2018
Factory Repair Information now available.

VW Group vehicles covered include:

Audi

Seat

Skoda

Volkswagen

If you have one and are not satisfied with the level of service you are receiving from your current techies, and need top-notch service or know someone who has one and needs help give us a call.

Thank you.

NB: In certain circumstances, we may be able to extend diagnostics to model years earlier than 1996 particularly 1990 to 1995 model years.

1 Like

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:40am On May 27, 2018
Currently negotiating to take over an engine swap gone bad.

If deal goes through, repair process will be posted here
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:38am On May 28, 2018
Volkswagen shortened to VW, is a German automaker founded on 28 May 1937 by the German Labour Front and headquartered in Wolfsburg. It is the flagship marque of the Volkswagen Group, the largest automaker by worldwide sales in 2016.

-- Source: Wikipedia

It kept the title in 2017.
-- Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/275520/ranking-of-car-manufacturers-based-on-global-sales/

For the first 2 months of the year, it seems the statistics remained the same (see picture)

Volkswagen is German for "people's car", and the company's current international advertising slogan is just "Volkswagen". American English pronunciation is approximately "volks wagon"

-- Source: Wikipedia

FUN FACT:

World car production can be counted in terms of production.

World car production can be counted in terms of sales.

The final figure is decided by OICA.

It is known as the “Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d’Automobiles” (OICA).

The English name is The International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers.

It was founded in Paris in 1919.

Source is OICA.

1 Like

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:02am On May 28, 2018
Our problem vehicle belongs to the Jetta Family.

More about Jettas below:

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact car/small family car manufactured and marketed by Volkswagen since 1979. Positioned to fill a sedan niche above the firm's Golf hatchback, it has been marketed over six generations, variously as the Atlantic, Fox, Vento, Bora, City Jetta, Jetta City, GLI, Jetta, Clasico, Voyage, and Sagitar (in China).

The Jetta has been offered in two- and four-door saloon / sedan, and five-door wagon / estate versions – all as four- or five-seaters. Since the original version in 1980, the car has grown in size and power with each generation. By mid-2011, almost 10 million Jettas have been produced and sold all over the world. As of April 2014, Volkswagen marketed over 14 million, becoming its top selling model.

--Source: Wikipedia

FUN FACTS:

The top 10 best selling Volkswagen vehicles of all time are:

1.1975 Volkswagen Golf GTI
2. 1946 Volkswagen Type 11 “Beetle”
3.. 1977 Volkswagen Scirocco
4. 1975 Volkswagen Polo
5. 1953-1979 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible
6. 1973 Volkswagen Passat
7. 1989 VOLKSWAGEN Corrado
8. 2003 VOLKSWAGEN Touran
9. 2012-2015 VOLKSWAGEN Passat Alltrack
10.2016 VOLKSWAGEN UP!

--Source: http://moneyinc.com/top-10-volkswagen-car-models-time/

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:44am On May 29, 2018
Fourth generation (MK4/A4, Typ 1J; 1999–2005)

Production of the fourth generation car began in July 1999. Carrying on the wind nomenclature, the car was known as the Volkswagen Bora in much of the world. Bora is a winter wind which blows intermittently over the coast of the Adriatic Sea, as well as in parts of Greece, Russia, Turkey, and in the Sliven region of Bulgaria. In North America and South Africa, the Jetta moniker was again kept on due to the continued popularity of the car in those markets.

The Mk4 debuted shortly after its larger sibling, the Passat, with which it shared many styling cues. The rounded shape and arched roofline served as the new Volkswagen styling trademark, abandoning traditional sharp creases for more curved corners. A distinguishing feature of the Mk4 is its Whiptenna, a trademark for the antenna on the rear end of the roof, which claims to incur less drag than traditional antennas due to its short length and leeward position. For the first time, the rear passenger doors differed from those of a 5-door Golf. The car was also offered as an estate/wagon (whose rear doors are also non-interchangeable with the others). New on this generation were some advanced options such as rain sensor controlled windshield wipers and automatic climate control. However, these were expensive extras and many buyers did not specify them on their cars; as a result the used market has many sparsely equipped models.

Although slightly shorter overall than the Mark 3, the fourth generation saw the wheelbase extended slightly. Some powertrain options were carried over. Nevertheless, two new internal combustion engines were offered, the 1.8-litre turbo 4-cylinder (often referred to as the 1.8 20vT), and the VR6. The suspension setup remained much as before. However, it was softened considerably in most models to give a comfortable ride, which was met with some criticism as it was still quite hard in comparison with rivals such as vehicles offered from French car makers.

In crash tests, the fourth generation car received very good marks. In the New Car Assessment Program tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the car received five out of five stars for both driver and passenger protection in a 56 km/h (35 mph) frontal impact. New side impact tests at 62 km/h (38.5 mph) awarded the car four out of five stars for both driver and rear seat passenger protection. Side curtain airbags became standard in the 2001 model year. In the more severe 64 km/h (40 mph) offset test conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the Mark 4 was awarded the highest score of "Good". Injury, collision, and theft losses were low for a car of its class.

--Source: Wikipedia

This class of vehicles had an array of up to 21 engines! (see picture courtesy of Wikipedia)

--Picture Credits: Wikipedia

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:45am On May 29, 2018
So we earlier alluded to an Engine swap gone wrong!

What exactly went wrong?

And how did we fix it?

And how are we fixing it?

Stay tuned.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 11:06pm On May 31, 2018
EA827 Series Engine....
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 1:47am On Jun 01, 2018
Oldies will know that this is blatant shameless plagiarism with some modifications.

All the same if I can be useful to someone, and I have given credit that the words are not of my own construction, but lifted, I cannot be crucified.

There clearly exists even today a gap that most technicians of repute are unwilling to fill, so the conditions are just right for this impersonator smiley

If you have purchased these vehicles that rely heavily on electrical electronics and want a second opinion on a challenge you face.

Feel free to drop your query.

I will attend to them as time permits

Please use the format as shown below:

01) Make.
02) Model.
03) Engine size.
04) Transmission type.
05) Model year.
06) Spec (Euro or US).
07) Drive configuration.

As an example, here is how my details will be posted:

01) Volkswagen
02) Passat
03) 2.0L TSI I4 16V DOHC Turbo
04 6-Speed Auto Tiptronic+Sport
05) 2017.
06) Euro
07) FWD.

Then give as much detail as possible with regards the issues, if any. Examples shown below:

01) Car difficult to start when hot.
02) Car difficult to start when cold.
03) Car does not start at all (engine cranks, but doesn't fire).
04) Car does not start at all (engine does not crank at all).
05) Car starts, but doesn't idle (needs constant gas pedal pressed).
06) Car starts and runs, but jerks in motion, fuel consumption seems higher than normal.
07) Car starts and runs, but jerks in motion, fuel consumption appears normal.
08) Car doesn't start after long drive, but will start as normal after cooling for over an hour and above.
09) Car starts and drives as normal, but becomes sluggish and jerky once warm.
10) Engine has knock and rattle, gets worse under load (driving).
11) Engine has knock and rattle at idle, less under load (driving).
12) Engine died whilst driving. Noise before it stopped, does not sound normal cranking, or doesn't crank at all.
13) Engine idles lumpy (misfire evident).
14) Check Engine Light illuminated.
15) Fuel consumption has increased, car appears to run and drive as normal.
16) Coolant level keeps dropping, no over heating.
17) Coolant level keeps dropping, engine overheating.
18) Coolant level normal, engine overheating.
19) Black smoke from exhaust.
20) Blue smoke from exhaust, engine performance appears normal.
21) Blue smoke from exhaust, marked drop in engine performance.
22) Grey smoke (steam) from exhaust.
23) Oil in coolant reservoir.
24) Coolant / water (sludge) in oil, evident on dipstick and inside of oil filler cap.
25) Auto transmission doesn't change gear, stays in one gear. Gear shift indicator on dash (PRNDS, PRND etc) all illuminated.
26) Auto transmission doesn't engage reverse, all forward gears okay. Gear shift indicator on dash (PRNDS, PRND etc) all illuminated.
27) Auto transmission loses drive once warm. Gear shift indicator on dash (PRNDS, PRND etc) NOT illuminated.
28) Auto transmission slips in all gears, engine revs high, road speed doesn't match. Gear shift indicator on dash (PRNDS, PRND etc) all illuminated.
29) Manual transmission noisy (noise increases with road speed).
30) Manual transmission slips out of gear (more so when braking).
31) Manual transmission crunches when selecting gears.
32) Manual transmission difficult to select individual gears.
33) Manual transmission impossible to select individual gears.
34) Manual transmission impossible to select ANY gears.
35) Clutch pedal soft, will not return to rest position.
36) Clutch pedal stiff, gear selection difficult.
37) Brake pedal spongy, car difficult to stop.
38) Brake pedal has excessive travel before car stops.
39) Grinding noise when applying brakes from speed.
40) Vibration when applying brakes from speed.
41) Car pulls to one side during sudden sharp (emergency) braking.
42) Knocking from front of car over bumps or rough roads.
43) Knocking from rear of car over bumps or rough roads.
44) Car has excessive "bounce" even over moderate bumps.
45) Car appears lower on one side, even when parked on level ground.
46) Droning noise from wheel area, worse when turning corners.
47) Droning noise from wheel area, less when turning corners.
48) Clicking noise from front wheel, worse when turning corners.
49) Vibration from steering wheel at certain speeds.
50) Aircon blows warm air.
51) Aircon blows cold air, but not from vents.
52) External lights don't work.
53) Cruise control doesn't operate.
54) ABS warning light is on.
55) Airbag warning light is on.
56) Battery keeps going flat, battery warning light illuminated.
57) Battery keeps going flat, battery warning light NOT illuminated.
58) Alarm sounds randomly.
59) Remote key does not work.
60) Central locking does not work.
61) Electric window does not work.
62) Electric mirror does not work.
63) Electric sunroof does not work.
64) Horn does not work, or has random operation.
65) One or more doors fails to unlock.
66) Door open warning on dash illuminated, despite all doors being shut.
67) Hood open warning on dash illuminated, despite hood being shut.
68) Trunk open warning on das illuminated, despite trunk being shut.
69) Poor radio reception.
70) Audio volume adjusts itself randomly.
71) Digital central display on dash dim, worse when warm.
72) Digital central display on dash has broken / missing pixels.
73) Wiper operation very slow, even on high setting.
74) Wiper fuse constantly burns out.
75) Wipes don't operate.
76) Key warning lamp on dash flashing, difficult to start car.
77) Key warning lamp on dash flashing, impossible to start car.
78) Key warning lamp on dash flashing, engine starts, then dies after approximately 2 seconds.
79) Fuel pump noisy (buzzing from trunk / rear).
80) Speedo does not work.
81) Speedo works intermittently.
82) Speedo / dash not illuminated with lights on.
83) No communication with diagnostic equipment via OBD II port.

As a gentle reminder, I am interested in

1) Models from 1996 upwards and

2) Who have DTCs be those SAE or VAG codes to assist with troubleshooting sight unseen and/or are willing to pay for these to be obtained with a dealer-level scanner or its equivalents

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY clients with deep pockets who realize that pay for play is the name of the game. Proverbs 22:29 comes to mind:
"Have you seen a man skillful at his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before common men."

If I don't respond on time, I am either busy doing something else or consulting the books on your case....eventually I will respond.

NOTE:

I realize that I am trying to step into shoes that are much bigger than mine...so feel free to say what you feel...criticisms...suggestions...will be appreciated and channeled into a feedback mechanism to improve our service to you!
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 7:28pm On Jun 01, 2018
Up until this afternoon I have been trying to troubleshoot a 2004 Volkswagen Bora 2.0 that would not start sight unseen.

I finally had a chance to spend 2 hours of diagnostic time with the vehicle.

What did I find?

Details later.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 1:51am On Jun 02, 2018
Our problem vehicle is a 2004 Volkswagen Bora 1.6L that later became a 2004 Volkswagen Bora 2.0L through a heart transplant.

Although this class of vehicles had up to 21 engines, the sub-model Bora/Jetta had 10 of those.

These were

1.4 I5 DOHC 16V

1.6 I4 SOCH 8V

1.6 I4 DOHC 16V

1.8 I4 DOHC 20V

1.8 I4 DOHC 20V Turbo

2.0 I4 DOHC 8V

2.3 V5 SOHC 10V

2.3 V5 DOHC 20V

2.8 VR6 SOHC 12V

2.8 VR6 DOHC 24V

In Nigeria it seems is common to swap the 1.6 I4 with the 2.0 I4.

And that is exactly what my client and everything worked for a while until ...things went bad

More about the EA827 engines here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_EA827_engine and here http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/engines/engine-history-audis-ea827-engine-the-inline-four-that-could/

Animations courtesy SAMARINS.COM showing the difference between SOHC and DOHC engines

1 Like

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:40am On Jun 02, 2018
Client claimed that the replacement engine came from a Passat.

This is a physical impossibility without extensive adjustments to the Bora/Jetta

The Passat has a lot in common with the Audi A4/A6 see the first picture for its engine placement (longitudinal mounting)

See the second picture for the engine placement in a Bora/Jetta (transverse mounting)

First picture is courtesy paultan.org

Second picture is courtesy vwvortex.com

Learn more about the various ways of placing an engine in a car here https://www.carthrottle.com/post/transverse-vs-longitudinal-engines-the-pros-and-cons/

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:47am On Jun 02, 2018
Note that only the engine was swapped, the ECU was not. There was also no programming of the keys, the immobilizer or the Instrument Cluster.

So that led to the question, why then was it necessary to replace the ECU?

Because all of a sudden the former ECU died.

Why did the former ECU die?

Why did the replacement ECU stop functioning?

What problems have you faced with this vehicle?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:00am On Jun 02, 2018
Part Number of Original ECU is 06A 906 033 BN

Running that part number through ebay tells us a thing or two about the ECU:

1. This Bora/Jetta and Golf are internally similar (you could use the same ECU in a Golf and be good)

2. As Siena used to say, its a Golf with a boot

3. This Bora/Jetta is built on the Golf MK4 platform

4. The engine code is BFQ

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:28am On Jun 02, 2018
Part Number of Replacement ECU is 06B 906 033 AD

Running that part number through ebay tells us a thing or two about the ECU:

1. That this ECU is meant for a VW Passat

2. That the applicable VW platform is the VW Passat MK6

3. That it belongs to a Passat B5

4. Compatibility of the ECU logic in this ECU is for a Volkswagen Passat 2001 - 2005/Volkswagen Passat 4Motion 2001 - 2005

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:47am On Jun 02, 2018
Following that interesting observation, it became necessary attempt to peek into the ECU what was it seeing? And why is it able to start but unable to rev?

https://www.nairaland.com/3661728/on-board-diagnostics-obd-ii-questions

It threw us a bunch of codes.

These are the SAE DTCs

P1118: Bank 1, sensor 2 heating element circuit Open circuit

P1606: Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction

P1612: Motronic Engine ControlModule (ECM) -J220-1) Incorrect coding

P1631: Bank 1, sensor 1 heating element circuit Open circuit

P1631: Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G79- Signal too high

P1680: Reset-Resistant Limp-Mode Active

When working with VW products we have to deal with SAE DTCs and VAG DTCs (see picture below).

For each SAE DTC, there is a corresponding VAG DTC or internal reference.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:17am On Jun 02, 2018
In subsequent posts, we will take apart each of those codes and the test procedures we followed to ensure proper diagnosis of the problem(s) at hand.

Until then stay tuned.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by empron(m): 5:33am On Jun 02, 2018
Following
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 7:13am On Jun 02, 2018
Thank you.

I will update some more later in the day, had to sacrifice some sleep to post those.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:16am On Jun 02, 2018
P1118: Bank 1, sensor 2 heating element circuit Open circuit

There is an important rule of thumb to remember when dealing with oxygen sensors and air fuel ratio sensors - no heater circuit, no oxygen sensor/air fuel ratio sensor!

The ECU reported that there is an open circuit in its heater circuit.

To confirm this, we conducted a resistance test.

If the heater circuit were in order, we should have obtained a value between 6.4 and 47.5 ohms.

The value we obtained was out of that range, so it will be necessary to replace the oxygen sensor.

Physical inspection of the oxygen sensor wiring indicated that it was not cut, damaged, exposed or frayed in any way - nonetheless the oxygen sensor was no longer capable of doing its work!

By the way, this is the rear/downstream oxygen sensor whose work is monitoring catalytic converter activity.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:20am On Jun 02, 2018
P1606: Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction

We would have loved to test for this fault.

But we have to be practical here.

Scenarios where this fault exists can be broken into two:

a) where the ECU is a proper fit for test car
b) where the ECU is a wrong fit for test car

Since this is the wrong fit of ECU for this car, testing to determine why this code was thrown will wait until the ECU is an exact fit for this car and by extension a match for or to this car's ABS unit.

Then and only then can a proper, extensive and valid diagnosis procedure be carried out on our patient.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:31am On Jun 02, 2018
P1612: Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) -J220-1) Incorrect coding

There is a mismatch between the ECU in the car and the model of car that the ECU was meant to control

OR

The logic in the ECU is at variance with the logic for controlling this car and its associated modules

AND

The ECU has detected this

SO

we need to introduce/adapt this ECU to the vehicle and its modules.

TO DO THIS

will involve virginizing the ECU i.e., ridding the ECU of all the details linking it to the former vehicle it was controlling, call it a new ECU inside an old ECU body, so that it becomes software speaking and not hardware speaking, a brand new ECU...a blank slate sort of...ready, willing, able to be programmed with the details of the vehicle it will now be controlling.

In very plain language, the replacement ECU still contains the VIN of a 2002 VW Passat but it is installed in a 2004 VW Bora/Jetta.

Unlike a Bora/Jetta and a Gold which are remarkably similar, a Bora/Jetta is a very different animal from a Passat and by extension, the logic that runs one cannot run the other, hence the need to synchronize the ECU's logic with the vehicle it is installed in - in tech speak, programming or tuning the ECU.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:44am On Jun 02, 2018
P1631: Bank 1, sensor 1 heating element circuit Open circuit

Remember that no heater circuit, no oxygen sensor!

Physical inspection of the oxygen sensor wiring indicated that it was cut, damaged, exposed or frayed!

The repair was a wack job.

More about this later - this a very bad thing to do on any vehicle, take less of a VW, it is very unforgiving of such abuse, and the price that is paid is usually very high.

Have you noticed that as far back as 1999 VW was using a 6-terminal oxygen sensor?

By the way, the value obtained were outside of the expected range.

If the sensor were in spec, the value obtained from the resistance test ought to have fallen between 2.5 and 10.0 ohms.

So this oxygen sensor will need to be replaced

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:08am On Jun 02, 2018
P1631: Bank 1, sensor 1 heating element circuit Open circuit cont'd

More pictures

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:09am On Jun 02, 2018
P1631: Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G79- Signal too high

This code is an indication that the vehicle is afflicted with the take me home aka limp home mode.

Once this condition occurs, nothing will make a VW rev up!

Is there a problem with the connections to this module? Do the contacts suffer from dirt and or corrosion causing the voltage and or current flowing to be out of sync with factory specifications? Is the accelerator pedal itself bad?

Our tests will reveal the next course of action.

These tests have to be redone. Then will update this post.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:10am On Jun 02, 2018
P1680: Reset-Resistant Limp-Mode Active

Please refer to notes above under P1612.

Those note apply here.

If that is not the case, then we are dealing with an immobilizer defeat that was less than a perfect job.

Once the remedy to P1612 is applied to this ECU, this code should evaporate.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by empron(m): 4:04pm On Jun 02, 2018
AutoElectNG:
P1612: Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) -J220-1) Incorrect coding

There is a mismatch between the ECU in the car and the model of car that the ECU was meant to control

OR

The logic in the ECU is at variance with the logic for controlling this car and its associated modules

AND

The ECU has detected this

SO

we need to introduce/adapt this ECU to the vehicle and its modules.

TO DO THIS

will involve virginizing the ECU i.e., ridding the ECU of all the details linking it to the former vehicle it was controlling, call it a new ECU inside an old ECU body, so that it becomes software speaking and not hardware speaking, a brand new ECU...a blank slate sort of...ready, willing, able to be programmed with the details of the vehicle it will now be controlling.

In very plain language, the replacement ECU still contains the VIN of a 2002 VW Passat but it is installed in a 2004 VW Bora/Jetta.

Unlike a Bora/Jetta and a Gold which are remarkably similar, a Bora/Jetta is a very different animal from a Passat and by extension, the logic that runs one cannot run the other, hence the need to synchronize the ECU's logic with the vehicle it is installed in - in tech speak, programming or tuning the ECU.

what about ECU adaptation?will that work?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2018
empron:
what about ECU adaptation?will that work?

Not sure.
I think it should.
Will check and revert.

One more thing, the vehicle I am working on is a manual.

The replacement ECU is meant for an automatic!
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by drmuchin: 4:22pm On Jun 04, 2018
It is rare to see a Nigerian share information like this
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 5:35pm On Jun 04, 2018
drmuchin:
It is rare to see a Nigerian share information like this

Thank you.

Those who taught me did not hold back.

I am still learning, and they aren't holding back either.

I am honored by your observation.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by drmuchin: 4:50pm On Jun 05, 2018
I really need your advice at the moment. How do I reach you outside Nairaland?

AutoElectNG:

Thank you.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:57pm On Jun 05, 2018
drmuchin:
I really need your advice at the moment. How do I reach you outside Nairaland?

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical by thebigkendo(m): 5:20pm On Jun 05, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Thank you.

Update on the 2004 Volkswagen Bora

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Engine Oil To Use For Camry 2012 -2013 / Men, Get In Please!!! / Seen In Traffic Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.