Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,346 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

The Evolution Of Insects. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Evolution Of Insects. (549 Views)

Strange Insects Attack Crops In Kano - Farmers Cry Out, As Food Shortage Looms / Help, Insects And Pest Ruining My Vegetable (ugu) Farm / What Chemical Can I Use To Get Rid Of Reptiles And Insects On My Farm And Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Evolution Of Insects. by Hashiva: 3:37pm On May 21, 2018
It is believed that the evolution of insects is similar as humans, but they started a social life earlier then humans. First its discovered and found its references in Hinduism. In the start of Shiv Mahapuran, there are reference that Bharama created all the insects, flies and animals before humans.

Earlier in 2009 The entomologist Karl Kjer said, “Insects did just about everything first. They were the first to form social societies, farm, and sing — just about anything you can imagine.”

No matter how late in the day, humanity has somehow followed in their footsteps. Urbanisation is primarily an attempt to remove every trace of the insect world from our lives (perhaps because centipedes are not cute, like chihuahuas). We are confining ourselves inside high-rise honeycombs; all our senses chained like the arms of an octopus to a multitude of objects in dungeons of desire.

More of his studies I were reading at Google scholar, and other websites.

Few More Interested facts I found on one other website.

A COLLABORATION OF MORE THAN 100 RESEARCHERS FROM 10 COUNTRIES ANNOUNCE THE RESULTS OF AN UNPRECEDENTED SCIENTIFIC STUDY THAT RESOLVES THE HISTORY OF THE EVOLUTION OF INSECTS.

The results are published in Science, the world’s leading peer-reviewed research journal, and include answers to many long held questions about the evolutionary history of the world’s largest and most diverse group of organisms.

The results, published by scientists from the 1KITE project (1,000 Insect Transcriptome Evolution), are essential to understanding the millions of living insect species that shape our terrestrial living space and both support and threaten our natural resources.

“Insects are the most species rich organisms on earth. They are of immense ecological, economic and medical importance and affect our daily lives, from pollinating our crops to vectoring diseases,” says Dr. Bernhard Misof, Professor from Research Museum Alexander Koenig – Leibniz Institute for Animal Biodiversity (ZFMK) in Bonn, Germany, one of those who led the research effort. “We can only start to understand the enormous species richness and ecological importance of insects with a reliable reconstruction of how they are related.”

Using a dataset consisting of 144 carefully chosen species, 1KITE scientists present reliable estimates on the dates of origin and relationships of all major insect groups based on the enormous molecular dataset they collected. They show that insects originated at the same time as the earliest terrestrial plants about 480 million years ago. Their analyses therefore suggest that insects and plants shaped the earliest terrestrial ecosystems together, with insects developing wings to fly 400 million years ago, long before any other animal could do so, and at nearly the same time that land plants first grew substantially upwards to form forests.

“Phylogeny forms the foundation for telling us the who?, what?, when?, and why? of life,” says Dr. Karl Kjer, (Rutgers – State University of New Jersey, USA). “Many previously intractable questions are now resolved, while many of the “revolutions” brought about by previous analyses of smaller molecular datasets have contained errors that are now being corrected”.

The new reconstruction of the insect tree of life was only possible by a cooperation of more than 100 experts in molecular biology, insect morphology, paleontology, insect taxonomy, evolution, embryology bioinformatics and scientific computing. The consortium was led by Prof. Dr. Karl Kjer (Rutgers – State University of New Jersey, USA), Dr. Xin Zhou (Deputy Director of the China National GeneBank, BGI-Shenzhen), and Prof. Dr. Bernhard Misof from the ZFMK.

“We wanted to promote research on the little-studied genetic diversity of insects,” says Dr. Xin Zhou, Deputy Director of the China National GeneBank, BGI-Shenzhen in China, who initiated the project. “For applied research, it will become possible to comparatively analyze metabolic pathways of different insects and use this information to more specifically target pest species or insects that affect our resources. The genomic data we studied (the transcriptome – all of the expressed genes) gives us a very detailed and precise view into the genetic constitution and evolution of the species studied.”

However, the goal to analyze more than 1,000 insect transcriptomes, a set of all RNA molecules, posed a major challenge to the bioinformatics and scientific computing team within 1KITE. “During the planning phase of the project it became clear that the available software would not be able to handle the enormous amount of data,” relates Prof. Dr. Alexandros Stamatakis, head of the research group „Scientific Computing“ at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (HITS) and Professor for High Performance Computing at the life sciences of the Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT). “The development of novel software and algorithms to handle “big data” such as these, is another notable accomplishment of the 1KITE team, and lays a theoretical foundation for future analyses of other very large phylogenomic data sets.”

All the references from above lead me to 1KITE website, Found few more things there but still It creates many doubts in my mind?

1. Looks like insects are here before us. How many of you believe it? Thoughts?
2. What are the insects animals, bugs and other things formed first in world?
3. Yes, Insects are inspiration in life, we may have learned social life and many other things from insects, some of them still impress me some time? Whats your best inspirations from any insect, bug or animals?

Mine are :- I am really inspired from dogs love. Some sparrows where male make home for his wife when she is pregnant and care for her. There are many such things which was really taught by these beautiful creatures of world.

Thanks for reading!!
Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by youngest85(m): 3:46pm On May 21, 2018
Always endeavour to back up your posts with picture, it helps a lot

1 Like

Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by Niyeal(m): 3:50pm On May 21, 2018
And you think this will reduce the price of garri

1 Like

Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by Skepticus: 4:09pm On May 21, 2018
?? cool
Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by Hashiva: 6:42am On May 25, 2018
youngest85:
Always endeavour to back up your posts with picture, it helps a lot

Yes, Thanks for advice, But I am confused what Kind of Images should I use here. I found a wikipedia link which I would like to share but not allowed I think. Its with same title "Evolution of insects" .
Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by Hashiva: 6:43am On May 25, 2018
Niyeal:
And you think this will reduce the price of garri
Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by Hashiva: 6:44am On May 25, 2018
Skepticus:
?? cool

This is what we are talking.

Hashiva:
It is believed that the evolution of insects is similar as humans, but they started a social life earlier then humans. First its discovered and found its references in Hinduism. In the start of Shiv Mahapuran, there are reference that Bharama created all the insects, flies and animals before humans.

Earlier in 2009 The entomologist Karl Kjer said, “Insects did just about everything first. They were the first to form social societies, farm, and sing — just about anything you can imagine.”

No matter how late in the day, humanity has somehow followed in their footsteps. Urbanisation is primarily an attempt to remove every trace of the insect world from our lives (perhaps because centipedes are not cute, like chihuahuas). We are confining ourselves inside high-rise honeycombs; all our senses chained like the arms of an octopus to a multitude of objects in dungeons of desire.

More of his studies I were reading at Google scholar, and other websites.

Few More Interested facts I found on one other website.

A COLLABORATION OF MORE THAN 100 RESEARCHERS FROM 10 COUNTRIES ANNOUNCE THE RESULTS OF AN UNPRECEDENTED SCIENTIFIC STUDY THAT RESOLVES THE HISTORY OF THE EVOLUTION OF INSECTS.

The results are published in Science, the world’s leading peer-reviewed research journal, and include answers to many long held questions about the evolutionary history of the world’s largest and most diverse group of organisms.

The results, published by scientists from the 1KITE project (1,000 Insect Transcriptome Evolution), are essential to understanding the millions of living insect species that shape our terrestrial living space and both support and threaten our natural resources.

“Insects are the most species rich organisms on earth. They are of immense ecological, economic and medical importance and affect our daily lives, from pollinating our crops to vectoring diseases,” says Dr. Bernhard Misof, Professor from Research Museum Alexander Koenig – Leibniz Institute for Animal Biodiversity (ZFMK) in Bonn, Germany, one of those who led the research effort. “We can only start to understand the enormous species richness and ecological importance of insects with a reliable reconstruction of how they are related.”

Using a dataset consisting of 144 carefully chosen species, 1KITE scientists present reliable estimates on the dates of origin and relationships of all major insect groups based on the enormous molecular dataset they collected. They show that insects originated at the same time as the earliest terrestrial plants about 480 million years ago. Their analyses therefore suggest that insects and plants shaped the earliest terrestrial ecosystems together, with insects developing wings to fly 400 million years ago, long before any other animal could do so, and at nearly the same time that land plants first grew substantially upwards to form forests.

“Phylogeny forms the foundation for telling us the who?, what?, when?, and why? of life,” says Dr. Karl Kjer, (Rutgers – State University of New Jersey, USA). “Many previously intractable questions are now resolved, while many of the “revolutions” brought about by previous analyses of smaller molecular datasets have contained errors that are now being corrected”.

The new reconstruction of the insect tree of life was only possible by a cooperation of more than 100 experts in molecular biology, insect morphology, paleontology, insect taxonomy, evolution, embryology bioinformatics and scientific computing. The consortium was led by Prof. Dr. Karl Kjer (Rutgers – State University of New Jersey, USA), Dr. Xin Zhou (Deputy Director of the China National GeneBank, BGI-Shenzhen), and Prof. Dr. Bernhard Misof from the ZFMK.

“We wanted to promote research on the little-studied genetic diversity of insects,” says Dr. Xin Zhou, Deputy Director of the China National GeneBank, BGI-Shenzhen in China, who initiated the project. “For applied research, it will become possible to comparatively analyze metabolic pathways of different insects and use this information to more specifically target pest species or insects that affect our resources. The genomic data we studied (the transcriptome – all of the expressed genes) gives us a very detailed and precise view into the genetic constitution and evolution of the species studied.”

However, the goal to analyze more than 1,000 insect transcriptomes, a set of all RNA molecules, posed a major challenge to the bioinformatics and scientific computing team within 1KITE. “During the planning phase of the project it became clear that the available software would not be able to handle the enormous amount of data,” relates Prof. Dr. Alexandros Stamatakis, head of the research group „Scientific Computing“ at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (HITS) and Professor for High Performance Computing at the life sciences of the Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT). “The development of novel software and algorithms to handle “big data” such as these, is another notable accomplishment of the 1KITE team, and lays a theoretical foundation for future analyses of other very large phylogenomic data sets.”

All the references from above lead me to 1KITE website, Found few more things there but still It creates many doubts in my mind?

1. Looks like insects are here before us. How many of you believe it? Thoughts?
2. What are the insects animals, bugs and other things formed first in world?
3. Yes, Insects are inspiration in life, we may have learned social life and many other things from insects, some of them still impress me some time? Whats your best inspirations from any insect, bug or animals?

Mine are :- I am really inspired from dogs love. Some sparrows where male make home for his wife when she is pregnant and care for her. There are many such things which was really taught by these beautiful creatures of world.

Thanks for reading!!
Re: The Evolution Of Insects. by Hashiva: 5:46am On Apr 30, 2020
Yes,
Hashiva:

This is what we are talking.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Desiring to Venture into Poultry Farm Business? / Am A New Livestock Farmer. I Have Close To 90 Matured Birds. How Do I Get Buyers / Cheap Farmlands Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.