Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

How To Be Employed As A Full-time Music Producer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Be Employed As A Full-time Music Producer (288 Views)

5 Things That Can Make You Self-employed In Nigeria / Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Be Employed As A Full-time Music Producer by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 21, 2018
You've applied for a job as a music producer and now comes the challenging part: the meeting with your hopefully future boss. When you're applying for a job and go for an interview, what matters the most isn't your great skill, but the first impression. You can produce as good as the greatest producer in the country or even around the globe if you don't make a good image of yourself you won't be on the golden list. There won't be any soft ware for you to show off what you have, so your mouth is what speaks for your skill.
Don't start with something like "I produced songs for Micheal Jackson."
Unless you're in the middle of the convo and you get a question like "Who have you worked with before?" clapped on the tables. And even then, don't follow up with names directly, answer something like "I've worked for well known personalities."
If they ask you for names, that's when you can mention them, if not don't. Instead of mentioning names you can also indirectly tell them by mentioning their record labels or managers; "I actually worked for artists under J-World Records." or "I worked for one of the artists David Click manages", this option is by the way more recommendable because it just sounds more refreshing and brag-less.
If you get a simple reply, take it as a good sign. It can be that he or she moves on with the topic and that means that you seem realistic and serious enough.
But if you get follow up questions, which is most likely, don't get nervous take it easy. They might ask you about the work you've done for the person. Just answer simply, don't seem like you're purposely trying to impress with that you're stating.
"Eve contacted me personally for a production. We worked on the album Silver-moon. I mixed and mastered the song on my own. Just an add on; we recorded the song in my studio." - No, you're more of bragging then impressing. Keep it short and simple, allow them to know everything in one short sentence.
"We worked on a album project." -Yes, carry on...
"Tell me more."
"The album is called Cry. It is all about emotions and heartbreak..." -No, No and again No. Remember you're here to get a job, not to market your work. Keep it short and cool.
"We worked on the album for quiet a time, and it's being promoted now. However I consider it as my best creation so far." -Yes, that sounds better.
It might be that there's one more question, but mostly if they ask to many questions on this topic, they're being skeptical about your statements and that means you've said something too straight forward.
Anyways, there are a lot more things to consider. Your appearance. Most of the time, they don't expect you to have terrific producing skills, tough they wish to have someone who'd give clients a convincing feeling. If you're a slow talker or a low energy person, trust me- you won't get the job.
So instead for you to walk in moody and giving out sighs and eye rolls trough out the interviews, try to seem like you just won lottery and you're overly happy about it.
If they ask you something like "How good can you produce?" or "What are your skills?" their trying to find out if you're able to convince, not if you actually can produce. I mean everyone could say "I can produce." but what matters is, can you convince a client that you're able to produce for them with words? Because a conversation always comes before the test. If you're not qualified, they're not even going to test you. By the way, I'm talking about both, client and boss.
Now it gets critical. It's either he wants to test your skill because he finds interest in you or he tests you because he doubts.
Don't overdo it. If you think that you need to reach out of your range and compose something that is usually not what your skill provides; stop. Do what you know you can, stay natural. Compose a quick beat just to allow the interviewer to get your capacity, carry it with heart and passion.
Here it goes; the end result of your performance is about to show its fruits. It's either your going to get a "I'll get back to you." which means you haven't impressed enough, or "Come back by tomorrow for further discussions," which means you're about to step a foot-step further and you're being considered as a good candidate.

Anyways, this is my first advice post I've ever created in the aspect industry, but i think it is good enough for a standard interview or maybe even a meeting for a contract.

By the way I'm Kelys Oladugba, 15 year old Nigerian passionate writer, script writer and also an author. I basically lived in Switzerland all my life and actually moved back to nigeria recently. I love writing and wish to help others trough my posts in many aspects.

(1) (Reply)

Making Awesome Presentations: Useful Tips For Project Defense / Wizkid Performance At London / Project 360 Global Entrepreneurship Manpower Development And Empowerment Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.