Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? (957 Views)

This Is Why They Always Tell Us To Read Instructions Before Starting Exam / Speak Hausa, Yoruba & Igbo Language Fluently in 5 Weeks / How to read fluently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? by PearlPerfect: 8:35am On May 22, 2018
While I was still teaching and taking extra lessons, I found out that this is one of the biggest problems parents face.

Some even have children that are already in secondary school and still does not know to read well.

I noticed this and I decided to write a book about it.

I would be sharing some things on the ways to go about this from the book I hope it helps somebody.

1. Be extremely patient with the child. As much as many parents wants their children to grow, most of them spend 90% of the time shouting at their children.

Please put it in mind that as strange as Chinese letters are to you that is how strange English letters are to them to.

I guess you won't find it amusing if someone brought a Chinese literature and keeps shouting at you to READ! READ!! READ!!! lol

please be patient with them

2. Try to explain to them why you what them to read more fluently and put a form of price tag.

"Bolu, I would give you This if you can read this passage well"

3. Pick up a passage or story and tell him to keep on reading, patiently correct the mistakes .
Ask him to repeat the passage over and over again. For the next Four days.

In my book I explained more about you can go about this.

4. Use stop watch. lol pretty crazy right?

I had a boy I was teaching who told me that he has problem parsing words together even though he had been taught the pronunciation.

So I came up with the idea of using stop watch. I would give him 20secs to read a paragraph. Then reduced it to 10sec and like that. I noticed that, he improved. Children love fun competition.

There are a lot of ways, just under your kid and you can work around that. If you have any questions, please reach me at berachah54@gmail.com.

I'd be ready to answer you

1 Like

Re: How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? by Suko110(m): 8:43am On May 22, 2018
Nice piece, good procedure.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? by PearlPerfect: 10:03am On May 22, 2018
Thank you Suko110

1 Like

Re: How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 15, 2018
PearlPerfect:
While I was still teaching and taking extra lessons, I found out that this is one of the biggest problems parents face.

Some even have children that are already in secondary school and still does not know to read well.

I noticed this and I decided to write a book about it.

I would be sharing some things on the ways to go about this from the book I hope it helps somebody.

1. Be extremely patient with the child. As much as many parents wants their children to grow, most of them spend 90% of the time shouting at their children.

Please put it in mind that as strange as Chinese letters are to you that is how strange English letters are to them to.

I guess you won't find it amusing if someone brought a Chinese literature and keeps shouting at you to READ! READ!! READ!!! lol

please be patient with them

2. Try to explain to them why you what them to read more fluently and put a form of price tag.

"Bolu, I would give you This if you can read this passage well"

3. Pick up a passage or story and tell him to keep on reading, patiently correct the mistakes .
Ask him to repeat the passage over and over again. For the next Four days.

In my book I explained more about you can go about this.

4. Use stop watch. lol pretty crazy right?

I had a boy I was teaching who told me that he has problem parsing words together even though he had been taught the pronunciation.

So I came up with the idea of using stop watch. I would give him 20secs to read a paragraph. Then reduced it to 10sec and like that. I noticed that, he improved. Children love fun competition.

There are a lot of ways, just under your kid and you can work around that. If you have any questions, please reach me at berachah54@gmail.com.

I'd be ready to answer you

lalasticlala
Seun
OAM4J
Mynd44
Ishilove

Don't you think this post is deserving of front page. Am sure lots of persons have a lot to learn here

1 Like

Re: How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? by PearlPerfect: 9:34am On Jan 17, 2019
Nyerhovwo101:

lalasticlala
Seun
OAM4J
Mynd44
Ishilove

Don't you think this post is deserving of front page. Am sure lots of persons have a lot to learn here

Thank you for the feedback
Re: How Do You Teach Your Child To Read Fluently In Nigeria? by girlxxhiddenxx: 9:41am On Jun 19, 2020
Another thing my mom did when I was learning to read. On the road she would ask me to read sign boards. Anywhere I was that there was a letter to be read she made sure I was reading it. Whether it is newspapers, inscriptions on I could read almost fluently by 5. I could read better than people in primary 5 while I was in primary one. I think it has something to do with how the brain processes information. When you are playing it would store the information better than when you are seriously learning in class.

(1) (Reply)

Free Uniben Post Utme & Direct Entry Past Questions Here / We Need To Educate Our Parents. Everything That Sounds Crazy Aint Rituals. / 2019/2020 University Of Ibadan Post Graduate Application Info.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.