Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,499 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Are You An Aspiring Fashion Designer? Start With The Little You Know - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Are You An Aspiring Fashion Designer? Start With The Little You Know (476 Views)

For Aspiring Fashion Designers / Mai Atafo Wins Best Fashion Designer For The 2nd Time / Abuja Top Fashion Designer Adds A Year In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You An Aspiring Fashion Designer? Start With The Little You Know by dharmielol(f): 2:24pm On May 25, 2018
Hi fellow sew mates, I noticed a major problems with many fashion designers who are planning to start their fashion business or who have already started but still nursing some fears in their mind.

There is this “I don’t know enough “mentality with most of us and a lot of “what ifs”.
Worrying about different unnecessary issues.
What if it doesn’t fit perfectly? What if I don’t get the style? .....
They are always talking about what is still left to learn, I’m yet to master/learn this or that every time.

In fact if I asked most of us here to tell me the number of WhatsApp/Facebook sewing group we are in, both paid and free trainings, some are going like 80/100.
Ask others how much they have spent on trainings its running into thousands upon thousands of naira.

Fine, learning continues especially in fashion business that is not stable, but my dear this shouldn’t stop you from launching your fashion line, stop giving unnecessary excuse. Nothing should stop you from forging ahead.

Don’t let low self-confident and self-esteem stop you in the name of not knowing enough yet

That little you know is enough, start and keep learning on the job.

What is that “little” that you know?
Start telling people about what you do and also flaunting your designs, this will attract more customers to you
Maybe you can only make a perfect skirt! Or you can only draw a sketch, or probably children’s wears.
Is yours just jacket?
Abaya?

Do you know you can focus and build on that little that you know by producing children wears (readymade) and selling?
Is yours just shirts, why not try the production of shirts, different form of shirts made with different materials and even come up with different designs just on shirts?
What about skirts production, we have different types in fact up to 20 styles of skirt to design, producing this in different form of materials, patterns, stitch methods, embroidery and colours combination.

Fashion design is so creative that even from a single design, you can also draw up to 10 other designs.

How do you get creative and come up with different designs?
Google it up, check-up Pinterest for design ideas, buy fashion magazines, watch videos on YouTube….
You can also look around your environment for inspiration and ideas, on the road or in the church, inspirations can come from anywhere.
Attend functions and check out peoples design, go to fashion shows, watch fashion shows on TV.
Through this you are expanding your creative mind and stretching your brain.

Note that whenever you are going out, always ensure you have a small sketching book and a pencil with you to quickly sketch ideas/design down, you don’t have to be a perfect artist before you can sketch, all that is needed is the idea and the concept or rather ask if you can take a picture with the fellow and through that you have a visual copy of the design.

When all of this has been settled and has launched out, take the following into cognisance….

Leverage on your area of strength, Make sure that if it is children’s wear you are good at, make sure it is your area of expertise, do it with full attention and passion. Research more about how and with what it is done perfectly

You are just starting out, concentrate more on what you like to work with, especially the materials, do you prefer stretching material or firm, chiffon, silk or thick combat material, leverage more on the one that will bring out the beauty of your work and make it look perfect and never stop learning how to use other materials by the side

Always ensure your stitches are straight and neat, use the right thread for the right material, right lining color should be used, give a perfect finishing-weave/overlock, iron the cloth well and pack them neatly
Use the right equipment, use scissors and not your teeth, cut all dangling threads well, topstitch where it is necessary, use the right stay where necessary (collar stay for shirt collar and not paper stay), right button and the right zip being fixed very well

Most importantly, have a full confident in yourself, remember you are just starting out and only starting in this line of business for now, don’t forget learning continues, as you are working, make sure you’re learning on the job

Aside all mentioned above, there are some fundamentals you should know when it comes to fashion business that should be considered strictly,
• Business Plan
• Business Name
• Neatness
• Packaging
• Branding
• Marketing strategies etc (More of these will be discussed fully in my subsequent write-ups)

Never allow fear to grip or get hold of you, start with the little you know.
See you at the top.
Kindly add/comment your suggestion and ask your question in the comment section below.

Thank you for reading.
Damilola Ade-Obasa
Adora’s Place

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Susan’s Worst Experience On Using Fake Products. / New Hublot Fashion Male Wristwatches / How To Tie Classic Geles Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.