Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument (25237 Views)

American Police Officer Shoots At Man After Mistaking Sound Of Acorn For Gunshot / Police Officer Shoots Man Dead In Ahoada Today (Graphic Photos) / Customs Officer Shoots 8-month Pregnant Woman In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Canme4u(m): 7:36am On May 26, 2018
At 70, family and friends had looked up to Lamidi Oke, a farmer from Olorunda village, Oyo State, for survival, until last Monday when a trigger-happy Customs officer dashed their hopes.

The septuagenarian was allegedly shot dead by the officer while he was trying to intervene in an argument between some Customs operatives and youths in the community over a barrier erected on a road within the neighbourhood.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the villagers put up the barrier – two poles on both sides of the road with a bamboo placed across them – to curb the recurring accidents caused by reckless motorists plying the route.

It was gathered that a team of six Customs officers in a Hilux van got to the spot around 12:00pm and saw Lamidi and his younger brother, Muritala Oke, who were returning from the farm.

The officers were said to have ordered 66-year-old Muritala to remove the barrier so they could pass. But the man declined the order, telling them that motorists usually opened the barrier themselves and mounted it back after leaving the spot.

Enraged by the man’s response, the officers reportedly disembarked from their operational vehicle and uprooted the barrier.

Muritala, who spoke to our correspondent on Thursday, stated that some youths met the officers in the act and challenged them. He said the officers responded by shooting indiscriminately, during which the deceased intervened to make peace.

“As my brother and I were returning from the farm that day, we met the Customs officers in a van at the spot where the barrier was mounted. They asked us why we mounted the barrier and I explained to them that many residents, especially children had been knocked down by speeding vehicles. Till now, a resident, whose leg was broken in an accident on the road, is at the University College Hospital, Ibadan.

“They shouted at me to remove the barrier and asked if I did not know they were in a government vehicle. I explained to them that it is drivers who remove the barrier and place it back. I told them that policemen also ply the road in their vans and remove the barrier the way other drivers do.

“Five of them pulled over in anger and started destroying the barrier. They resorted to shooting as some youths tried to caution them.

“My late brother sent the youths away and tried to plead with the Customs officers. The sixth officer, who appeared to be their team leader, came down from the vehicle and shot my brother directly in the chest. They hurriedly entered their van and fled. They were in uniform and Nigeria Customs Service was written on their van. We did not get to the hospital before he died.”

Our correspondent learnt that the incident was reported at the Ojongbodu Police Station and was later transferred to the police headquarters in Iyaganku, Ibadan.

The deceased’s first child, Gafar, who lives in Abuja, said his father had called him on the telephone that Monday morning, adding that he was shocked when he got a call that the man had been shot dead.

He said, “I visited home (Oyo State) and was supposed to return to Abuja on Monday. He called me early in the morning and I told him I wanted to get something for my wife and would go back to Abuja the next day. To my surprise, I was called around 12:30pm that my father had been shot dead by a Customs officer. I didn’t believe it until I saw his corpse.

“He was buried on Wednesday. We cannot forgive those customs officers for many reasons. One, my father was an easy-going person. He was a generous man and the breadwinner of the family. I could not remember the last time I gave him money. One of my siblings had abandoned his wife and children. It was my father who was taking care of his wife and the children.

“We may not be able to get justice, but we will forever curse them because they have brought sorrow to our family.”

The distraught widow, Adijatu Lamidi, said it was “extremely painful” to lose Lamidi in such a cruel circumstance, lamenting that she would live the rest of her life with the sad memory.

“My husband didn’t tell me he was going to die when he bid me goodbye on Monday morning on his way to the farm. He called me on the telephone when he got to the farm. I could not believe that would be our last conversation,” the 60-year-old added painfully.

A resident, Afudol Jaleel, who said the Alafin of Oyo had waded into the case, told Saturday PUNCH that two expended bullets were recovered from the scene of the incident.

He said the barrier was erected after a consensus was reached between the villagers and motorists who usually plied the road.

“I am wondering why the officer would shoot the elderly man, who was trying to make peace. The police from Iyaganku came to inspect the scene of the incident on Thursday. A representative of Alafin of Oyo was also at the scene for assessment.

“Apart from the two expended bullets recovered by the police, we had already picked six bullets from the scene and taken them to the police,” Jaleel said.

When our correspondent contacted the Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Adekunle Ajisebutu, on Thursday, he said he was aware of the incident and promised to get back with details.

He had, however, yet to do so as of press time.

Several calls put across to his line rang out and he did not reply to a text message sent to his phone.

The spokesperson for the Nigeria Customs Service, Oyo/Osun Command, Abdullahi Lagos-Abiola, said the police had written to the agency on the incident.

“But so far, I don’t know how authentic that incident is. We have contacted all our men; we don’t have such an incident. One thing again is that, officers from the headquarters or Federal Operation Unit can come in and operate without seeking the permission of the command.

“As far as our officers in Oyo/Osun Command are concerned, we don’t have such a case,” he added.

Source

http://punchng.com/customs-officer-shoots-70-year-old-dead-for-intervening-in-argument/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by EzendiEgo1: 7:37am On May 26, 2018
Wivked

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:41am On May 26, 2018
The animal should be shot ASAP.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Canme4u(m): 7:41am On May 26, 2018
EzendiEgo1:
Wivked
Wetin dey vex me in this report is the comment made by customs spokesperson.... He didn't say what effort is being made to expose the oloriburuku officer wey kill the chief imam of Olorunda village, he was there saying rubbiss
@Lalasticlala @OAM4J @Mynd44 kindly move this thread to front-page

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Olalan(m): 7:43am On May 26, 2018
Really sad for the man and his family. I no longer blame people who have zero sympathy for Nigerian security agencies officers when murdered by criminals cause most of them have committed all sort of vices under the cover of having the power to hold a gun.
BTW the unfortunate truth is nothing will be done to the officers for their actions, if any maybe a transfer from that location.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by xreal: 8:03am On May 26, 2018
Is the lady in the last pic a science student?

RIP Baba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Shedrack777: 8:06am On May 26, 2018
this is a normal stuff in katsina state borders. killing innocent people and nothing will be done

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by okomile(f): 8:06am On May 26, 2018
Rest in peace baba.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Blackfire(m): 8:36am On May 26, 2018
*put my left leg in a hot water*

Anywhere that custom man is, may amadioha, sango and Zeus visit him with thunder, Fire, and storm in the physical and spiritual, in mamiwater name i pray....

Amen.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Skepticus: 9:28am On May 26, 2018
cool

70, a ripe old age to die.
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by itsandi(m): 2:57pm On May 26, 2018
cry
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 26, 2018
ok
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by BlackHatNaija: 2:57pm On May 26, 2018
Oh my! He's indeed trigger happy man. Death that didn't take him before now was caused by a power drunk, lawless individual in uniform.

Sometimes, minding your business pays. Just go your way or cross to the other side.

4 Likes

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by NIGHTMARE0O7: 2:57pm On May 26, 2018
There is more to this story.
RIP
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by obonujoker(m): 2:58pm On May 26, 2018
That custom officer will never go unpunished....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by satowind(m): 2:58pm On May 26, 2018
They should collect gun from custom the way they did vigilantes cause they are trigger freaks

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by inoki247: 2:58pm On May 26, 2018
a whole imam did not av Ayeta
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by faithfull18(f): 2:58pm On May 26, 2018
Hmm.
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by UbanmeUdie: 2:59pm On May 26, 2018
shocked

That customs' officer did well by signing off the old man to glory.

Na watin concern agbero with overload?

He should go and settle argument between his aggrieved ancestors.
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Mobsync(m): 3:00pm On May 26, 2018
The Nigerian Customs is filled with very stupid, dirty and overzealous creatures.

None of those dudes in that vehicle was up to 66, yet they had the effrontery to tell a 66-year-old man to remove a barrier from the road so they could pass.

What stopped them from removing the barrier themselves?

And if they felt the barrier was obstructing the road, why didn't they just tell the youths to build a speed bump instead?

Very dirty and useless creatures.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by NaijaMutant(f): 3:00pm On May 26, 2018
Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by jojomario(m): 3:00pm On May 26, 2018
Some were recruited through back door and majority lacks proper orientation. Attacking harmless civilians on the basis you are in government vehicle. Who pays your salary? Some uniform men are just useless.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by figure007(m): 3:01pm On May 26, 2018
Somethings is wrong in this country..... What can we do? God please answer us and pass through this land Nigeria....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by RuthlessLeader(m): 3:01pm On May 26, 2018
Whenever I see news like this, I understand why nigerians hate security Agencies. They are the true criminals and terrorists in the land

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by skales67(m): 3:02pm On May 26, 2018
The Custom Officers at the top will just request that the Police should kill the case.

Money will change hands and the evidence thrown away or destroyed.

Abi no be Shyte-hole country we dey so?

Zoogeria!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Maxcollins042(m): 3:02pm On May 26, 2018
Concerted efforts should be made to check the sanity of the personnel saddled with the responsibility to police the country and whatnot.

For him to have shot directly at the chest of this aged man shows the beast that he is in a customs garb.

The culprit is not only trigger happy but mentally imbalanced.

1 Like

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Nairalandmentor(m): 3:03pm On May 26, 2018
Its so bad. Deranged humans bearing arms. What do you expect?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by OgaTheTop2: 3:03pm On May 26, 2018
Nigeria.... smh angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 26, 2018
useless Officer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Officer Shoots 70-year-old Man Dead For Intervening In Argument by blues343(m): 3:04pm On May 26, 2018
It Is Gradually getting to the Time when may av no choice but to adopt the Principles of MALCOM X theory. RIP

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

15-Year-Old Nimota Olatunde Missing After Taking Permission To Fix Uniform / Police Beat Lotto Operator To Death / Police Arrest Fake Soldiers In Iju, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.