Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,024 members, 7,838,571 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now (346 Views)

Influencer Begs Former Presidential Aspirant, Adamu Garba To Sue US Military For / Osun 2018: Why Aregbesola Should Hand Over To Me —ezekiel Oyemomi, APC Governors / Amnesty International Releases Shocking Video Against Nigerian Military On IPOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now by Uranus1: 1:06am On May 30, 2018
Without a doubt, the greatest failure we have registered as a nation is the failure to provide uninterrupted electricity to Nigerian businesses and homes. The power sector has seen many cosmetic changes in the past, many of which, of course, did not improve the reliability or availability of electricity to the country.

I have never hidden my belief and confidence in the discipline and integrity of the Nigerian military to deliver on mission objectives. The problem we’ve had in our military has been as a result of leadership failures at the top of the country’s political leadership over the years. But make no mistake, our military has the potential, if challenged, mobilized, and provided with the funding and political support to deliver uninterrupted power supply to the country.

There are many reasons why this may succeed, the most important of which is that the military has a solid top-down command structure where accountability is very easy to ascertain. If a particular power station, or a particular transmission line fails, it would be very easy to go to the officer in charge of that particular infrastructure and get an honest situation report. That report can either lead to assistance to, or replacement of the officer with another more competent officer for that very electric infrastructure.

Our country is in such a critical infrastructure mess because of this power issue and the situation does seem to have an end in sight.

A friend from Ghana supplied my family with “Dawadawa” that, in my opinion, passes international standards of packaging. This “Dawadawa” was so well packaged in cans that it doesn’t even smell!
After a cursory inspection of the product, it dawned on me that it could only have been produced in a country with steady power supply. The friend said that the main selling point of the Ghanaian packaged Dawadawa is that it doesn’t smell, but that could only have been produced in a place with reliable electricity. Again, because I know that Nigeria produces Dawadawa more than Ghana, I felt bad, again, for Nigeria.

The point here is that we should remove some of our most critical public infrastructure from the “all comers” area, and hand them over to our military to run and ensure that they work as intended. I would also even like our military to be given the contract to deliver world class hospitals in the 6 geopolitical zones of Nigeria.

In the military, failure leads to real career consequences for an officer. And the funding can easily be accounted for because officers can be dishonourably discharged from the military, or even court marshaled. A dismissed officer can also be tried and jailed in civilian courts if they committed economic or financial crimes in the assigned project. The point is that military officers have a whole lot to lose (and only the few competent and trusted ones are even assigned to projects anyway), than politicians who simply come from nowhere, with or without the backgrounds, to be trusted with an infrastructure whose efficiency consequence can be a matter of life and death to real people.

The privatization should be critically examined to find a way to hand the entire thing (even if by seconding the companies with our military personnel) to the military.

Some of our political problems may even start to melt away if our people suddenly start getting 24 hour electricity supply for 365 days of each year. We don’t really know other problems that may disappear if we solve this power supply problem with a military efficiency and dispatch.

A humble opinion.

https://www.nigerialog.com/military/maybe-we-should-hand-over-electricity-supply-to-the-nigerian-military-for-now/
Re: Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now by xreal: 1:37am On May 30, 2018
After that, the Judiciary, the police, cancel executive.
Re: Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now by xreal: 1:38am On May 30, 2018
After that, the Judiciary, then the police, then cancel executive.
Re: Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:52am On May 30, 2018
How I really wish this can be possible....
Re: Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now by Yusuf4: 8:46pm On May 30, 2018
Is it the same Army that is acquired substandard weapons and have to soldiers to fight Boko Haram or sis you mean Biafran Army...
Please explain more
Re: Maybe We Should Hand Over Electricity Supply To The Nigerian Military, For Now by Yusuf4: 8:46pm On May 30, 2018
Yusuf4:
Is it the same Army that acquired substandard weapons and gave to soldiers to fight Boko Haram or you mean Biafran Army...
Please explain more

(1) (Reply)

Aboderin’s Legacy In Publishing Leaves Indelible Mark In History Of Journalism / Edit Your Pdf Or Scanned File, Exract Or Add Picture To Ur Pdf File With A Token / How Long Have You Been On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.