Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

What Programming Languages Have You Used? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Programming Languages Have You Used? (4027 Views)

Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 / What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Programming Languages Have You Used? by Seun(m): 10:26am On Mar 20, 2007
I started up with Commodore 64 BASIC in 1991, after being taught the basics of BASIC with GW-BASIC. 3 years later, after a 2 year break from programming, I graduated to QBASIC. Another 3 years later, I discovered Turbo Basic which was fast enough for game programming though less advanced than Qbasic.

Then I stumbled upon C through a friend and wrote some games with it (notably, a beautiful bricks game which actually worked on an 8086 computer after some optimization. Then I taught myself Visual Basic 5.0, thanks to pirated software. After another 4 year break, I started coding with C++ on Linux in order not to be a software pirate.

Update: I also learned some Java, PostgreSQL and FORTRAN during this period at Ile-Ife.

Later, after I left for Abeokuta to focus on the web, I started learning PHP and MySQL, which I use on all my sites, modifying queries and scripts to suit my purposes. I even wrote a MySQL 4.0 certification exam. Later I learnt to use python for an SMS site, but I couldn't get the business off the ground due to lack of capital to buy SMS credits.

So in answer to the main question, I've used BASIC, C, Visual Basic, C++, SQL, PHP, and Python. What about you?
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by ehie007(m): 11:28am On Mar 20, 2007
Seeun pls can u send me in depth PHP/Sql tutorials i want to start learning it.i already know how to use HTML and i can use dreamweaver. i just need to know those php scripting and how to creat a database on MYSQL.
Thanks
hala me back.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by boraddo(m): 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2007
seun u try,
i started wit QBasic in 2002, VBasic 2003, moved to Asp in 2004 and plenty TSQL in 2004 too , coldfusion in 2005, MXML+ AS3 in 2007, me sef don try small,
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by tboy81(m): 6:40pm On Mar 20, 2007
Started with Visual Basic 6 in 2003 (during the long strike preluding the elections).

Tried my hands with Shell-Scripting on Linux in 2004 while preparing for my Linux Certification exams.(during my IT period)

Worked with PHP/MySQL for most of 2005 using Dreamweaver MX (needed it for final year project).

Got involved with SQL (SQL Server 2000 biased) in 2006 when i started work after leaving school.

ASP.NET/VB.NET   programming while preparing for my MCP exam around October 2006. (after leaving NYSC camp)

Trying my hands on XML Web Services with VB.NET now (during my Service Year), though its still looking kinda crytic to me for now.

---
---

You may wonder why all the details; well its just to show that you can always find time to learn ANYTHING if you put your mind to it.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by dakmanzero(m): 7:01pm On Mar 20, 2007
Started with BBC basic on a bbc computer owned by a friend of mine who lived in obanikoro. The aim was to make my own computer games.

Got me a basictutor computer afterwards and worked with that. In early to late secondary school I also learned 6502 assembly language in order to add smooth scrolling and sprites to my BBC games, since that machine had no hardware accel like the c64 (which i just read about but never actually programmed for). That early grounding of assembly helped out in my final year at UNILAG!

Started using IBM PCs more frequently in early secondary school- mostly GWBASIC and QBASIC, struggling with the lack of easily accesible machine code and slow execution, but mostly getting nioce results duie to the sheer power of the things.

Got my own computer finally in SS2. Then I started to use turbo PASCAL to produce native machine code programs/games that ran at incredible speeds.

I also used turbo PROLOG out of sheer curiosity, and quickbasic when pascal gave me a headache. I also used turbo C at this time, and tried to learn c++

(I made a brick game just like you did, seun- I called it Matris. Just like tetris, but with a few extras- there was a spinning square at the bottom left of the screen (line drawings and sin/cos functions) that gained or lost sides based on the number of lines you cleared at a time- build a complete square and you score a matris bonus. Minus the additions it was a full featured version of tetris, was proud of it cos i hadnt seen the source of any similar game before that- had to figure it all out on my own! Implemented with VGA graphics and sprites.)

in Uni I of course used all the languages we were tauht, including FORTRAN with which i wrote my final year project. Did work for year 3 and 4 students in year 2 mostly using pascal and c/c++. Did work for campus fellowships using ACCESS- first exposure to sql

internship saw me working almost exclusively with visual basic, access and sql. started the database shindig there.

professionally I now use VB6,  VB dot net 2003 and SQL.

I have used java in the past but never liked it.

had to use php a few times, had to learn perl for some linux stuff. have done linux shell scripting but only scratching the surface

100,000,000 batch files wink

used visual C++ when I was into quake modding- dont hold your breath, i didnt do anything spectacular. I did however modify a version of DOOM to run properly on my PSP rather recently- that was vcpp

um, well there's more but it escapes my mind now, ive been addicted to code for ages and so ended up dabbling in whatever i could.  Teling a computer what to do and watching it do it is a thing of joy I tell you,
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by lalaboi(m): 7:04pm On Mar 20, 2007
weell i just startd programming

so i first used pascal
i'll be moving to java nxt month! hopefully i'll be able to knw 80% of the programming languages in the nxt year!
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by abdkabir(m): 12:52am On Mar 21, 2007
@Seun

So y did i think u are a young Dude Infact, i can't answer the Question. Looking @ when u started programming i bet u aren't as young as i thought.

Well, I have used Pascal, Object Pascal, The Assemby Language, PHP,JSP,ASP,HTML,JAVA what else , well i can't remember .

Having Mentioned Telecoms, how feasible is the sale of Bulk SMS @ N3 (@least 200,000 units). Any interested Parties?
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by c0dec(m): 1:09am On Mar 21, 2007
well like many i started programming cos i wanted to make games. i really started with pascal in 95. before then i only knew basic BASIC stuff - i didnt have a computer so. . . anyway, i attempted to write a pac-man clone with pascal but failed sad well i didnt have my own computer so. . .

now i played and watched a lot of football, while learning C without a PC sad - i wanted to become a professional footballer - no seriously i had talent.

i finally got my own computer in 99, the sweet (at that time) IBM Thinkpad 560X. at about the same time, i stumbled on linux.
now for the next 5 years, i became it's slave. i was doing a lot of bash scripting now and plenty of C programming playing about with APIs for cryptography, networking, ncurses, X windows, SDL, MySQL, Gameboy Advance. i also played with Java (sockets & databases) a bit.

then in 2005, i set out to achieve what got me programming in the first place. i left home to engage in a year of pain, understanding OOP and game programming concepts. so my C++ got a lot better and i learned Lua and C# for kicks.

and guess who's a games programmer now? yes, its official cool

in short, a snapshot of my history is right here
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by Nobody: 2:40am On Mar 21, 2007
I started with computers in primary school, played with it and learnt about all the theory.

Started programming in 93/94, during the break between finishing JSS3 and SSI with Qbasic for computer JETS, in order to "defend "
my number 2 spot. (Fans of Afro Samurai should get the joke!! grin

I did some cool graphics programs back then and I used to sleep in the computer lab back then. I had a 2 yr break from coding, then when I
entered uni, I learnt Pascal. Got tired of it and graduated to C++. I felt learning the WinAPI was scary, so I learnt VB.
I also learnt HTML intuitively. Then I discovered the "holy" language, JAVA which I used for designing a checkers game to show
applications of artificial intelligence in game playing, as my final year project.
Taught myself web coding, with JSP/servets, and Databases, using mainly MYSQL.

I ve done MIPS64 assembly programming, Real -Time/Embedded Real-Time
programming using the RTAI (Real -Time linux OS )C library, and I've dabbled into VHDL.

I basically consider myself a Java freak though. And I am averse to doing any type of model checking /system verification. Its got soooo many logic
stuff and it sucks!!
Im still upgrading, and now I might have to do high performance fortran for my parallel programming project,

Oh and I am addicted to my Laptop. She even has a name!!! grin
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by abdkabir(m): 3:46am On Mar 21, 2007
Who says we've got no Talents. But really with all this talents , we got to do something @ home o. Seriously!
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by obiguy(m): 3:51am On Mar 21, 2007
hey, i am just starting into to programming, i will really appreciate any help, but then, going to a+ after that, i need help people, meanwhile guys please visit my site and drop a comment if any; http://www.obinwanne.com/blog
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by ishmael(m): 7:28am On Mar 21, 2007
I started with QBASIC, i then move to FORTRAN, PASCAL and later COBOL. All these were programming languages i had to do in school because they were in my course curriculum. I later moved on to learn C and C++ then finally settled for Visual BASIC. Planning to start programming in JAVA.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by boraddo(m): 10:46am On Mar 21, 2007
abdkabir,
im interested in ur bulk SMS , give me more details
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by IBEXY(m): 11:20am On Mar 21, 2007
O my God. I love it here. We have gurus in da house shocked

I had my first taste of GW BASIC in 1994. (I even taught it in the small computer college I worked then. I wrote my project too with it)
I dumped BASIC when I discovered Dbase III, DBase IV and MS Foxpro (I did quite a lot with these. Earned some quids too then)
I nearly went into CA's Clipper but dedcided against that when I found I could programme windows based application using Visual Basic.
I therefore went into Visual Basic 5 and later 6. This helped me later on when I got this job needing MS Access programming.
Along the line I had a look at C++ and was fascinated with what my friends could do with it but I never really developed the courage to take it up fully.
I have also had a look at php and Mysql. I think they are my next stop. Cant do much on the internet without them, Can you ?
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 21, 2007
C0dec I checked out your site, you really did some cool stuff , openGL gots too much math and rotation stuff but I would have liked
to play around with it a bit tongue
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by software(m): 1:45pm On Mar 21, 2007
Oh my God!! Lots of Guru's in here

I started with Fortran 77 in 1994 i graduated to GW Basic in 1996. Then i left programming for over three years for Computer Engr and Netwking. Later in 2000 i continued with HTML, XHTML, CSS,Microsoft ACCESS AND VB 6.0 I did all these till 2004 Until i started programming the Classic Asp and SQL then progressed into ASP.net and XML.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by Ferlie(m): 1:49pm On Mar 21, 2007
u r nothing without .net
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by penyng: 2:01pm On Mar 21, 2007
still new to programming. I started with coldfusion in 2005 for web application, and now ASP.NET(VB.NET) for windows application in 2006. trying to expand my knowledge with JAVA.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by candylips(m): 4:32pm On Mar 21, 2007
x
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by ivgotfleas(m): 4:33pm On Mar 21, 2007
So in answer to the main question, I've used BASIC, C, Visual Basic, C++, SQL, PHP, and Python. What about you?

Cobol/400, Synon: Advantage 2E, VB, C++ back in high school.

I use a lot of SQL now.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by 2old4that(m): 7:06pm On Mar 21, 2007
Of course, i started out with Qbasic, Fortran, Pascal, Cobol (in school)

Now C and Java (on my own)
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by Bossman(m): 11:15pm On Mar 21, 2007
In school learnt ADA (similar to pascal) and C. First job out of college did COBOL for 5 years at a major insurance company. A little bit of VB and C at a couple of consulting gigs. I have been doing Java for the last 8 years. Java is definitely my favorite of all the languages I have used.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by otoidea(m): 11:34pm On Mar 21, 2007
c, c++, c#

php, asp,

javascript, vbscript

vb, java

actionscript

guess thts bout it 4 me grin
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by c0dec(m): 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2007
wavemasta:

C0dec I checked out your site, you really did some cool stuff , openGL gots too much math and rotation stuff but I would have liked
to play around with it a bit tongue

nah, the maths isn't too bad (well, this is coming from someone who studied maths in uni). but seriously, if you can handle stuff like MIPS, then basic 3d maths shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

MIPS ASM is something i've always wanted to learn. i've got a book on it but never had time for it.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by dakmanzero(m): 11:57am On Mar 22, 2007
Hmmm. c0dec, living the life I've always dreamed of living.

Did you leave Naija for your masters or where you overseas already?
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by c0dec(m): 1:19pm On Mar 22, 2007
yes man, it's a dream come true. left in '05 for masters. dude it aint late, try show! team sizes are getting larger. talent is hard to find and you've got it. now's a good time.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by dakmanzero(m): 7:19pm On Mar 22, 2007
<deleted>
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by IG: 9:51pm On Mar 23, 2007
Discovered Basic(In School) when I was in SS2 and that's my first encounter with a programming language.

Played with Basic a little before suspending programming due to lack of a personal computer

Came back to programming when we wanted to create our own game(3 of us)

Discovered VB6 and found out we can develop more serious things than games. This led to learning SQL and HTML

Migrated to Java for some time before discovering .NET.

In summary I used the following languages

QBasic, VB6, Java, VB.NET , C#, SQL , C/C++(when there is no other alternative)

Hey and apart from QBasic and VB6 which were introduced by tutors, I learned all my programming languages through self training and apprenticeship (right here in Nigeria)
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by uspry1(f): 2:35am On Mar 24, 2007
In 1980-1982 I took BASIC programming in high school.

In 1982-1987 I took COBOL programming with combined aspect courses: Accounting, Business Administration and data processing earning my Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Computer Information System.

In 1999 I took Web-Internet Development class earning my certificate to learn HTML, Javascripting, Paint Pro Shop, MS FrontPage. Self-taught learning on PHP and MySQL database.

In 2000, I started my own small-one woman web-graphic designing business working at home as freelance web designer. Later I was hired as subcontracted web designer to work with dying traditionally graphic artist incorporating all his artwork to slice into dynamic website using Flash movie that where I was lack of using Flash Actionscripting. He recommended me go back school.

In 2003-2004 I took online distance 18 months accelerated course in Visual Communication (advanced web development) learning up-to-date web authoring software with photograph and programming: Macromedia Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Color theory, Typography, Computer Animation, HTML, Flash Actionscripting, CSS, Javascript. Self-taught learning in XML. I earned my Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) with 3.90 GPA Summa Cum Laude.

Later I learned to administer in Xandros (Debian-based) Linux installation on PC system at my own, much easier than Windows 98/XP installation---fastest and reliable dual bootable operating system.

I now am fluent in Flash Actionscripting to parse all PHP, XML files loading into dynamic Flash website but I am stuck with outdated Macromedia Flash MX authoring that needs to be upgraded to Flash 8 professional for incorporating Flash video file and Video chat file into Flash movie on the website---requires Flash 8 and Media Communication server.
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by drixie: 4:25pm On Mar 25, 2007
i know a bit of vbasic and c++ and still learning. i've loved computers all this while but couldnt really use one till i got mine in '04. now i'm learning php and mysql.

looking at the array of software talents we have(above), why dont we get together and do some open source stuff to tackle software problems basically in Nigeria
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by Seun(m): 8:45am On Mar 26, 2007
looking at the array of software talents we have(above),
I'm afraid I'm no longer one of them. I'm not patient enough to write a program if I can't see money flowing in. wink

why don't we get together and do some open source stuff to tackle software problems basically in Nigeria
The way to benefit from open source software is to use and customise free software packages that already exist. Just go to www.sourceforge.net and www.freshmeat.net and download to your heart's content. wink
Re: What Programming Languages Have You Used? by ibrahim007: 11:36am On Mar 26, 2007
i'm a computer science student in my final year,haven done just 2 programming languages both pascal and c,i still don't understand their respective applications,i've always wanted to be a very good programmer but i don't know wats happening i would really love to have a friendship relationship with a programming guru who will put mi through in my dreams of becoming a good programmer,ppl who are interested in building me should mail me on succulentplayboy@yahoo.com,or kal 08075773779 believe me i've got qualities.Try n help a brother pls,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need An Android App For Your Blog/website? Get One Free / Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? / Who Can Develop A Simple Website For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.