Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record (1294 Views)

Messi Overtakes Ronaldo As Footballer With Most Guinness World Records / Messi Overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo With Most Liked Sports Photo On Instagram / 35 Times! Messi Overtakes Ronaldo As The Player With Most Hat-tricks In La Liga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Ekiti360(m): 12:03pm On May 31, 2018
​Lionel Messi, the Argentina and Barcelona football star, has overtaken a Brazil legend Ronaldo Nazario among the top goalscorers in South American history.

He now needs only 14 more goals to become the all-time record scorer, according to Soccer Laduma.

The Argentine netted a hat-trick in his side’s 4-0 friendly win over Haiti on Wednesday morning, taking his overall tally for the Albiceleste to 64 goals.

In doing so, he bettered the record of Selecao forward Ronaldo, who retired with 62 strikes for Brazil.

Three-time World Cup champion Pele, who sits in seventh spot in the worldwide all-time ranking, is the only South American player to have scored more than Messi.

Pele retired with 77 goals for Brazil, which means Messi needs to score 14 more times to overtake the legendary striker.

The Blaugrana attacker also extended his own record as Argentina’s all-time record scorer, and is now 10 strikes ahead of second-placed Gabriel Batistuta. Sergio Aguero, who scored his country’s fourth goal in the 4-0 win over Haiti, follows in third place with 38 strikes.

Argentina face Israel next, on June 9, in their final friendly ahead of the 2018 World Cup, before starting their tournament against Iceland on June 16.

http://kikiotolu.com/wow-lionel-messi-overtakes-ronaldo-sets-new-south-american-record/

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique Fynestboi Ishilove

Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Gman12: 12:29pm On May 31, 2018
Is Cr7 from America?
If the answer is No , whoever posted this news should go for medical check up

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by OkaiCorne(m): 3:56pm On May 31, 2018
Gman12:
Is Cr7 from America?

Calm down...

Reference was made to the Brazilian Ronaldo and not CR7...

Read the article to confirm that...

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 5:33pm On May 31, 2018
Gman12:
Is Cr7 from America?
You are still a kid,seems u started watching football in 2007...

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by FoolishBoy419: 7:07pm On May 31, 2018
Gman12:
Is Cr7 from America?

even i as a member of indomie generation knows more than one ronaldo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 9:23pm On May 31, 2018
OkaiCorne:

Calm down...

Reference was made to the Brazilian Ronaldo and not CR7...

Read the article to confirm that...
Many juveniles on nairaland,most of them started following football during reign of cr7 and messi

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by selemempe: 11:56pm On May 31, 2018
Kingsley1000:
Many juveniles on nairaland,most of them started following football during reign of cr7 and messi
i am not a juvenile like the guy u were refering to...i started following ball actively from world cup 94....but i must say that messi and cr7 are the very very very best ever that i have watched. Going tru de lima's old videos, ronaldinho, shevchenco, beckam, zidane, ballack, rivaldo....etc.....nothing intrigues me like the magic of cr7 and messi
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 3:02am On Jun 01, 2018
selemempe:
i am not a juvenile like the guy u were refering to...i started following ball actively from world cup 94....but i must say that messi and cr7 are the very very very best ever that i have watched. Going tru de lima's old videos, ronaldinho, shevchenco, beckam, zidane, ballack, rivaldo....etc.....nothing intrigues me like the magic of cr7 and messi
So you rate this duo above okocha and ronaldinho?you dont know anything in football,you think it's all about individual awards they used to spoil the fun in soccer nawadays...what really intrigues u in ronaldo?is it his goal scoring prowess
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 3:10am On Jun 01, 2018
I Talk am that you started watching football of recent..rating cr7,messi above okocha/ronaldinho,the only person that comes close is messi...if football is all about awards,then u can rate inesta and ribbery above them because they have won everything even world cup
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by selemempe: 3:57am On Jun 01, 2018
Kingsley1000:
So you rate this duo above okocha and ronaldinho?you dont know anything in football,you think it's all about individual awards they used to spoil the fun in soccer nawadays...what really intrigues u in ronaldo?is it his goal scoring prowess
I think we shouldnt argue if i know anything in football or not....that would be childish.

I dont like c ronaldo...but no player in the history of madrid, champions league and portugal has scored as many goals as him. Should that count or not? As for dribble, u should know ronaldo started his career as a dribbler and was wasting opportunities for scoring b4 he upped his game.

As for messi, he is the greatest. Simple. Ronaldinho can only famz him. They are not on the same level
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by FoolishBoy419: 4:24am On Jun 01, 2018
Kingsley1000:
I Talk am that you started watching football of recent..rating cr7,messi above okocha/ronaldinho,the only person that comes close is messi...if football is all about awards,then u can rate inesta and ribbery above them because they have won everything even world cup

Okocha better than messi? come on i like the fact that you are proud of your own unlike most Nigerian that don't but this is way too far. Even Ronaldinho has admitted to not being as good as Messi and you are here typing this
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 6:47am On Jun 01, 2018
selemempe:
I think we shouldnt argue if i know anything in football or not....that would be childish.

I dont like c ronaldo...but no player in the history of madrid, champions league and portugal has scored as many goals as him. Should that count or not? As for dribble, u should know ronaldo started his career as a dribbler and was wasting opportunities for scoring b4 he upped his game.

As for messi, he is the greatest. Simple. Ronaldinho can only famz him. They are not on the same level
Even in ronaldo's dribbling era in man u which 'm also a fan,you can't compare successful dribbles he make to that of ronaldinho/okocha these guys played football for fun not for self aggrandizement and awards...football isnt all about scoring goals.why ronaldo is this lucky is luck and calibre of players he surround himself in madrid
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 7:43am On Jun 01, 2018
players like marcelo,cavajan,ramos,varane

modric,kroos,casmero

bale benzema isco

are the reason he's smoothsailing and banging goals ....pls download the best of okocha and ronaldinho and see the difference,these duo are raw talents unlike cr7 that rely on hardwork and contribution of his team mates
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Kingsley1000(m): 7:55am On Jun 01, 2018
FoolishBoy419:

Okocha better than messi? come on i like the fact that you are proud of your own unlike most Nigerian that don't but this is way too far. Even Ronaldinho has admitted to not being as good as Messi and you are here typing this
All these boys born in the 90s self,,,okocha/ronaldinho are better than messi/cr7 in dribbles,skills and general playing ability NOT SCORING GOALS AND INDIVIDUAL AWARDS..these guys play the game for fun and to entertain not primarily for money...in the last decade,therez competition eg zidane,
ronaldinho,ronaldo d'lima,
rivaldo,
eto,drogba,
henry,david villa,
carlos,deco
,figo,barrack,del piero,pirlo etc...these are gr8 men fighting to be at d top unlike now,(cr7 and messi)...let me ask you,why didnt they give ribbery or robben world best in 2013,having won 3trophies(ucl,bundesliga,and german cup)
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by FoolishBoy419: 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2018
Kingsley1000:
All these boys born in the 90s self,,,okocha/ronaldinho are better than messi/cr7 in dribbles,skills and general playing ability NOT SCORING GOALS AND INDIVIDUAL AWARDS..these guys play the game for fun and to entertain not primarily for money...in the last decade,therez competition eg zidane,
rivaldo,
eto,drogba,
henry,david villa,
carlos,deco
,figo,barrack,del piero,pirlo etc...these are gr8 men fighting to be at d top unlike now,(cr7 and messi)...let me ask you,why didnt they give ribbery or robben world best in 2013,having won 3trophies(ucl,bundesliga,and german cup)

I'm not talking about scoring either. The only player that comes close to messi in terms of dribbling is Maradona. People have a habit of rating past players above the present no matter how good they are. Same thing that happens in wrestling

BTW
you better stop trying to sound knowledgeable to me because I have been a football fan for many years. Don't be deceived by my earlier post I was only joking
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by Tajbol4splend(m): 5:13pm On Jun 01, 2018
If Balloon d 'or wasn't based on just scoring goals, CR7 would not have won more than 2 of his 5
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by selemempe: 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2018
Kingsley1000:
Even in ronaldo's dribbling era in man u which 'm also a fan,you can't compare successful dribbles he make to that of ronaldinho/okocha these guys played football for fun not for self aggrandizement and awards...football isnt all about scoring goals.why ronaldo is this lucky is luck and calibre of players he surround himself in madrid
ronaldo is not lucky at all. He is good. I'm not a fan of his...but truth must be said. Kaka was lucky...mikel obi is lucky...ronaldo is not. Numbers dont lie. If ronaldinho dribbled for fun (I was his huge fan) ronaldo scores for fun and id winning more trophies than anyother players b4 him.

More importantly is the dude has been around since 2004. Thats 14 years bro. How long did ronaldinho or okocha stay on top
Re: Lionel Messi Overtakes Ronaldo, Sets New South American Record by selemempe: 5:24pm On Jun 01, 2018
Kingsley1000:
rivaldo,
eto,drogba,
henry,david villa,
carlos,deco
see wetin u dey even talk bro....where i wan start... okocha is better than cr7? I just dont get u bro...are u joking ni?

Asking why ribery didnt win world best in 2013 despite his trophies is like me asking why Henry didnt win it in 2004 when they gave it to zidane. R.madrid won nothing that year while Arsenal had unbeaten run to win epl. It happens in futbal.

(1) (Reply)

Simeone: My Son Has Everything I Want In A Player, But I Will Never Sign Him / Best Dressed Manchester United Player / $23 In Monthly Allowance: Nigeria Insults Rashidi Yekini And Samuel Okwaraji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.