Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,826 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? (1053 Views)

Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes / Differences Between The Gmat And Gre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 31, 2018
Hello to experienced civil engineers, I'm a 400L Civil Engineering student. I want to take an 'free online course' on Reinforced Concrete Design- I learned it in 300L and did well in the course in school but I'm not in the least bit satisfied by what I 'learned' and still have difficulty with a lot of areas.

Civil Engineering study materials seem hard to come by on the internet, especially with very clear/understandable content but I was able to come by a playlist on RC Design and I've watched the first video which cleared up a few previously misunderstood concepts, so I'm kind of eager to learn more.

The only problem is that the author of the playlist is an Indian and he's teaching according to IS456. As you know we use (British Standard) BS8110 in Nigeria.

Is it advisable to go ahead and learn with this, or are the codes much too different? Most of the material I'm able to find are based on either Indian Standard (IS) or American Concrete Institute (ACI).

cc Einsteino , engrola00001 , Adedejioluwaseu , Middo18 , Huntz , NobleA007 , Ope100 , Civil Engineers in Nigeria
Re: RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? by einsteino(m): 9:19am On Jun 01, 2018
I am not sure i understand what materials you are talking of. If it is textbooks, there are several on BS on the internet.

Whats the difference between these codes? Well lets say you learn to drive using say a left handed car but live in a country where the cars you would be required to drive are right hand wheel drive. Of course you know how to drive and are better off than someone who never learned to but you would need an adjustment period to settle into your new reality before you can gradually drive just as well as you used to.

To put the analogy into perspective, Bending moment remains the same across all codes, how you utilise results, design considerations, limits, factors, denotations, level of conservativeness etc are quite different. Codes like IS are closer to BS than ACI. But i would say its best you start off on eurocode.

One of my favourite design author is Punmia and his books are written to IS. These days i pretty much read anything, engineering is same everywhere, it is methodology and regulations that differs. I mean the forces of physics dont go on holiday anywhere. So its left to you to relate whatever you learn from any source back to the codes that is used in your region.

1 Like

Re: RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 01, 2018
einsteino:
I am not sure i understand what materials you are talking of. If it is textbooks, there are several on BS on the internet.

Whats the difference between these codes? Well lets say you learn to drive using say a left handed car but live in a country where the cars you would be required to drive are right hand wheel drive. Of course you know how to drive and are better off than someone who never learned to but you would need an adjustment period to settle into your new reality before you can gradually drive just as well as you used to.

To put the analogy into perspective, Bending moment remains the same across all codes, how you utilise results, design considerations, limits, factors, denotations, level of conservativeness etc are quite different. Codes like IS are closer to BS than ACI. But i would say its best you start off on eurocode.

One of my favourite design author is Punmia and his books are written to IS. These days i pretty much read anything, engineering is same everywhere, it is methodology and regulations that differs. I mean the forces of physics dont go on holiday anywhere. So its left to you to relate whatever you learn from any source back to the codes that is used in your region.
Thank you so much. @the bolded, does that mean the eurocode is more 'universal' than the others?

By study material I mean visual courses/videos. A lot of the textbooks I've seen on BS8110 have a lot of text with little supporting diagrams and I kind of need to visualize it. Another thing is that some seem to skip steps and figuring out the gaps makes it harder.

Also real life examples would help. . .for example taking structural elements out of a completed architectural diagram and designing them.
Re: RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? by einsteino(m): 1:46pm On Jun 01, 2018
AnonyNymous:

Thank you so much. @the bolded, does that mean the eurocode is more 'universal' than the others?

By study material I mean visual courses/videos. A lot of the textbooks I've seen on BS8110 have a lot of text with little supporting diagrams and I kind of need to visualize it. Another thing is that some seem to skip steps and figuring out the gaps makes it harder.

Also real life examples would help. . .for example taking structural elements out of a completed architectural diagram and designing them.

I dont think there is any code that is as widely used as Eurocode, remember it is the code for the entire European market, though it nation has its National annexes. But the reason why i did say start off from eurocode is because Eurocode is a revision of BS code, it is just an updated BS.

There is a design sample to BS 8110 by Higgins, Onyenuga also does have sample full structural design calculations. As for videos, I think youtube is the goto place for such, cant say if you would find any on BS, but what does it matter. Just take the lessons, learn and go back to study a BS based material.

1 Like

Re: RC Design - What Are The Differences Between BS8110 Code And IS456 Code?? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 01, 2018
einsteino:

I dont think there is any code that is as widely used as Eurocode, remember it is the code for the entire European market, though it nation has its National annexes. But the reason why i did say start off from eurocode is because Eurocode is a revision of BS code, it is just an updated BS.

There is a design sample to BS 8110 by Higgins, Onyenuga also does have sample full structural design calculations. As for videos, I think youtube is the goto place for such, cant say if you would find any on BS, but what does it matter. Just take the lessons, learn and go back to study a BS based material.
Thanks so much again.

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of ABU Postgraduate Courses, Admission Requirements 2018/2019 / Hire A Professional Project Writer / Can I Graduate With A First Class?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.