Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

How Do I Raise My Daughter? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Do I Raise My Daughter? (420 Views)

My Daughter. / My Daughter And I; The Ideal Father / My Daughter's Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Raise My Daughter? by lagoscitystory: 6:48pm On Jun 01, 2018
How do I raise my daughter?

I was born and raised in a culture rooted in the trenches of chauvinism before the recent change in narrative, allowing women to be more outspoken and holding their own.
How am I going to raise my daughter in this age and time? Coming from a generation who constantly blames the previous generation for its woes, I can't help but feel overwhelmed at the thoughts of it. Paranoia begins to set in as I apply my imagination at the challenges she will have to face in a contemporary society that's still dealing with with own issues in regards to changes. How will the poor soul challenge the status quo without being an outcast? I have thought of raising her as an activist Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti style as against Chimamanda's war cry feminism. How do I explain that she shouldn't expect anything to be handed to her and be willing to put in the work to achieve whatever she desires? How do I raise her to be God fearing but not gullible to religion and the subtle hogwash that comes with it?

How do I explain to her that marriage isn't an achievement but a milestone amongst many in her life's journey? How do I teach her to appreciate her sexuality and shouldn't allow society to dictate what she should be and not be comfortable with? And whatever her sexual preference is, she'll still be my daughter and I'll love her to death. Or better still let her know that no man has any God given rights to her body and can't be used as a bargaining chip whatsoever. Do I let her know that as a black woman she needs to work twice as hard to get her foot through the door of her dreams? Or perhaps I can set her adrift and allow discover her own voice and discover what resonates most with her. A thousand and one questions running through my mind and I can't share it all so I'll ask, how do you intend to raise your girl child?

I'll be reading suggestions.

#lagoscitystories #lagos #nigeria image credits https://sjmb.at/2018/…/31/story-telling-warum-gerade-afrika/

Re: How Do I Raise My Daughter? by royallord1(m): 7:39pm On Jun 01, 2018
Who has maheeda's email / instagram contact... She should be a perfect parenting role model for you angry .. Since u are oblivious of what it takes to be a parent?..
Ever heard of train up ur child in the ways of the Lord?

(1) (Reply)

They Never Asked Why ( Flash Fiction) / Inem Sunday Jackson Also Known As Iaminem Is A Plagiarist! !! / *** Did Someone Just Say Beast? **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.