Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,255 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? (17492 Views)

8 Things You Must Do Before Concluding Your NYSC Programme / How To Verify Your NYSC 2016 Batch A Senate List / Your NYSC Questions Answered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by chinexex(m): 9:27pm On May 29, 2010
HI,

THIS IS A MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION.

A LOT OF CORP MEMBERS SEEM NOT TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING TANGIBLE WITHIN THE SERVICE YEAR AND END UP FRUSTRATED WITH LIFE.
I WAS A BATCH A 2008 CORP MEMBER AND WOULD LIKE TO CREATE A FORUM ON THIS TOPIC.
PLEASE KINDLY SUGGEST AN OPINION FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SERVING HOUSE MEMBERS.

TANX

COURTESY: CHINEX
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by kabarka(m): 10:21pm On May 29, 2010
Yes,another thread that can change the life of many has been created by chimexex.A very big thanks to you chimexex.

I have always wanted to make a lot of friends with corpers and my reason is that most corpers misuse this golden 1yr only to find out too late.Again because of time constraint,this thread has provided me with that opportunity.So lets set the ball rolling.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Superbrain(m): 7:22am On May 30, 2010
The NYSC scheme is a failed project. The only thing I see that it has achieved is cultural integration, but not in every part of the country, not with the Jos crisis in which innocent corp members lost their lives. Many may argue in favour of the scheme but the cons far outweigh the pros.

My experience was not too good. I majored in Chemical engineering, did very well in the university and was hoping to use the scheme as an opportunity to gain experience in the industry. But this did not materialise as I was posted to a state in the West to teach in a government secondary school-for one year. Now, someone may say "yeah, that's the whole idea of the selfless service" but I wish employers of labour understood that. In my field where experience in the industry is a major factor in recruiting staff, you can bet that the "selfless service" teaching experience don't mean jack. In the US, you graduate from college and get to work immediately. That way, you still get to remember most of what you learnt as an undergraduate and can apply it on the job.

In Nigeria, the case is different. If you do not consciously and consistently refresh your memory and broaden your understanding about ongoings in your field, you can be sure that 50% of what you knew back then would have evaporated during the course of "selfless service" to your country Nigeria who does not give a hoot about you. So to what purpose and end has the scheme really served? A scheme that gulps N 34 billion yearly and is not productive? Our leaders need to have a rethink about the whose NYSC stuff. Either re-brand it or scrap it, period!

To serving corp members, I will advise you look beyond. If you did well in school, then your service year is the time to scout for scholarships for an advanced degree and apply. Also network. Many of the guys and gals you met in camp are highly connected. Do not be an island of your own, meet people, exchange contacts and keep the communication flowing. Your first job might come through that nerdish looking chap or the mouthy babe. Also start applying for jobs 3 months before you finish your service year. Remember old colleagues from your university days who studied the same course with you. Your awareness about most job opportunities in your field will come from that sect.

Also learn to plan and save, no matter how little. It is a good culture that would help you in future is adhered to religiously. Not to forget, your networking must extend to professionals in your field. Attend conferences, seminars and industry meetings organised in your field. It's a great opportunity to meet top dawgs in your profession.

I'm done with the NYSC and I wish you all the very best. And for the randy folks, STDs are real. Use protection, or better still, abstain from sex. Awoof dey run belle.

13 Likes

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by kabarka(m): 11:15am On May 30, 2010

Yeah superbrain,
Your advice is a complete package.

All i want to add is that while waiting for call up letter and during service, corpers shuld learn other skills outside their proffesion esp one that will lead to financial independence.

1 Like

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by chinexex(m): 2:14pm On May 30, 2010
For some corp members it's either : (1)Marriage, (2) Msc or (3) a Job that comes to mind immediately after service.

smiley i was privileged to serve in a secondary school in lagos (i wonder why majority of corpers are posted to schools) after my initial Place of primary assignment was altered (from ECOBANK,V.I TO WURAVILLE COLLEGE,ONIPANU) for some reasons unknown to me. i took my fate in my hands and considered it a challenge after several fruitless attempts were made to be re-instated.
For me it was the 3rd option that came to mind at the initial stage but i later resorted to the 2nd option after so much fustration in getting a lucrative job (especially as a fresh graduate) due to the high rate of unemployment in the country.
rather than stay at home waiting for a job i decided to further my education (msc).

MY NEXT STEP:
get a 2nd degree in a different field probably outside the country then a nice paying job before the option of marriage comes in. LOL! grin

i would really advice upcoming or current serving corp members to start now and think of something,program your life in whatever you want to do (be): one could develop a skill or go for an advanced professional course in his/her field while serving or start-up a small scale business etc.

TIME ( they say ) WAITS FOR NO ONE! SHINE YA EYEZ WELL WELL O shocked
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by bolof2000(m): 3:31pm On May 30, 2010
i will be going for SERVICE this july , and i have been thinking what i am going to spend all the time doing during that time, THOUGH i am into some IT stuffs, bt i really want to know whats like to be a corper, the time available, and how to maximize the the NYSC year.

i am planning to serve in lagos/ogun state.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by oluwadero(m): 3:56pm On Mar 09, 2011
good ?.
we need to sleep and wake again before we serving corps members can answer this qustion.
am coming.
am still a serving corp member o o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by AjanleKoko: 11:30am On Mar 14, 2011
Superbrain:

The NYSC scheme is a failed project. The only thing I see that it has achieved is cultural integration, but not in every part of the country, not with the Jos crisis in which innocent corp members lost their lives. Many may argue in favour of the scheme but the cons far outweigh the pros.

My experience was not too good. I majored in Chemical engineering, did very well in the university and was hoping to use the scheme as an opportunity to gain experience in the industry. But this did not materialise as I was posted to a state in the West to teach in a government secondary school-for one year. Now, someone may say "yeah, that's the whole idea of the selfless service" but I wish employers of labour understood that. In my field where experience in the industry is a major factor in recruiting staff, you can bet that the "selfless service" teaching experience don't mean jack. In the US, you graduate from college and get to work immediately. That way, you still get to remember most of what you learnt as an undergraduate and can apply it on the job.

In Nigeria, the case is different. If you do not consciously and consistently refresh your memory and broaden your understanding about ongoings in your field, you can be sure that 50% of what you knew back then would have evaporated during the course of "selfless service" to your country Nigeria who does not give a hoot about you. So to what purpose and end has the scheme really served? A scheme that gulps N 34 billion yearly and is not productive? Our leaders need to have a rethink about the whose NYSC stuff. Either re-brand it or scrap it, period!

To serving corp members, I will advise you look beyond. If you did well in school, then your service year is the time to scout for scholarships for an advanced degree and apply. Also network. Many of the guys and gals you met in camp are highly connected. Do not be an island of your own, meet people, exchange contacts and keep the communication flowing. Your first job might come through that nerdish looking chap or the mouthy babe. Also start applying for jobs 3 months before you finish your service year. Remember old colleagues from your university days who studied the same course with you. Your awareness about most job opportunities in your field will come from that sect.

Also learn to plan and save, no matter how little. It is a good culture that would help you in future is adhered to religiously. Not to forget, your networking must extend to professionals in your field. Attend conferences, seminars and industry meetings organised in your field. It's a great opportunity to meet too dawgs in your profession.

I'm done with the NYSC and I wish you all the very best. And for the randy folks, STDs are real. Use protection, or better still, abstain from sex. Awoof dey run belle.

@Superbrain,
Good writeup. What are you up to nowadays, post-NYSC?
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Springsprouts: 10:43pm On Mar 31, 2012
Skill and capacity are the only tools that can guarantee anyone (Corpers inclusive) the best in a challenging and competitive world like ours.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by nell07(m): 11:30pm On Apr 04, 2012
nice thread..
I'll be serving from july dis year.
Probably in lagos or ogun state.
And i'm hoping it'll be a productive year for me.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by chidike(m): 11:50am On Apr 05, 2012
i'm gonna write the International Project Managers's exam, so i can become a certified project manager, i hear it boosts cv. Add that to my Nigeria Institute of Management cert and my 2.1, hopefully i go find good job. Still serving though.

3 Likes

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by shagaman: 11:54am On Apr 05, 2012
Mine was a different story,i made up my mind to go into IT even before and after service.

I served in the north,Kaduna,and it was a very wonderful experience,really enjoyed
it,though i taught thruout i made friends that we are still together till date.
However i got my plans,i was attending this IT training while in service for like 6 months after i saved enough
to do it,then after service did certifications and looking back till date i bless GOD i made the right decision.

In this country so many years of waste if one does not plan well,if one looks at the 6 or more months before one goes to service after school those days,then add another one year of national service...by the time one is thru without your personal effort and GOD's will one would loose touch with knowledge learnt in school.

Not all of us get godfather that can place us in good jobs..

I served well and i was served well sha ... wink

Nice thread...
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by ichidodo: 11:54am On Apr 05, 2012
wuld b goin in july, like 2 serve at where i live. Abj. I have no need 2 seek 4 work as i am self-employd already
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by bizfirst: 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2012
The best option is to start a private business, no matter how small. The worst option would probably be looking for paid employment that does not exist. My blog, www.akaahanterungwa..com would give you the lead you need, free.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 05, 2012
Am Currently serving in Ogun state got my PPA in Akute so close to lag. Am a batch A corps member. I intend to start my HSE certification, PMP and CCNA next month... I studied electrical/electronics enginering. I serve in a secondary school. So all my Holidays i wld be doing part time internship with an IT firm in Ikeja. I need to beef up my CV... I have an HND with an Upper credit.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by emsquare(m): 12:06pm On Apr 05, 2012
Springsprouts: Skill and capacity are the only tools that can guarantee anyone (Corpers inclusive) the best in a challenging and competitive world like ours.

True!
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Phonon: 12:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
Join the booming and thriving unemployment market....:-D On a more serious note,many graduates have no idea what they want in the first place.They just keep gathering pieces of paper:PMP,CCNA,HSE etc that they think would give them an edge.In most cases,IT DOES NOT.This country has failed its youths.Countries such as China,Brazil,India etc are sending their brightest to go to the best US schools to study in various fields and then tap that knowledge to develop their economy.What do we do here?FG gives limited scholarships to people(some by merit) who want to study only Oil & Gas related courses and in rare cases,some non oil & gas scholarships to "obscure" countries like Russia,Ukraine etc.PATHETIC!

1 Like

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Ehinafe: 12:24pm On Apr 05, 2012
It's always good to make a plan for yourself as soon as you see your posting. I remembered during my own time, Plan A was to get a U.K Visa to meet my so called fiancee, then. Plan B was to look for job as a qualified Mechanical Engineer while plan C was to pursue admission to further my academics in another Engineering field. I vigorously pursed all the 3 plans but in the end found myself back in School for another 12 months Msc Programme in Industrial Engineering. In the end there has not been any regret, as majority of my 1st degree mates were still searching for employment as at the I completed my M.Sc.
chinexex:
For some corp members it's either : (1)Marriage, (2) Msc or (3) a Job that comes to mind immediately after service.

smiley i was privileged to serve in a secondary school in lagos (i wonder why majority of corpers are posted to schools) after my initial Place of primary assignment was altered (from ECOBANK,V.I TO WURAVILLE COLLEGE,ONIPANU) for some reasons unknown to me. i took my fate in my hands and considered it a challenge after several fruitless attempts were made to be re-instated.
For me it was the 3rd option that came to mind at the initial stage but i later resorted to the 2nd option after so much fustration in getting a lucrative job (especially as a fresh graduate) due to the high rate of unemployment in the country.
rather than stay at home waiting for a job i decided to further my education (msc).

MY NEXT STEP:
get a 2nd degree in a different field probably outside the country then a nice paying job before the option of marriage comes in. LOL! grin

i would really advice upcoming or current serving corp members to start now and think of something,program your life in whatever you want to do (be): one could develop a skill or go for an advanced professional course in his/her field while serving or start-up a small scale business etc.

TIME ( they say ) WAITS FOR NO ONE! SHINE YA EYEZ WELL WELL O shocked
It's always good to make a plan for yourself as soon as you see your posting. I remembered during my own time, Plan A was to get a U.K Visa to meet my so called fiancee, then. Plan B was to look for job as a qualified Mechanical Engineer while plan C was to pursue admission to further my academics in another Engineering field. I vigorously pursed all the 3 plans but in the end found myself back in School for another 12 months Msc Programme in Industrial Engineering. In the end there has not been any regret, as majority of my 1st degree mates were still searching for employment as at the time I completed my M.Sc. 12 months is 12 months or less, depending how soon you are able to complete your thesis.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by inspirenet: 12:26pm On Apr 05, 2012
Entrepreneurship is the sure way to a fulfilled destiny after NYSC.
For the New Generation of Nigerians, gone were the days when things were so rosy.
Wake up to the challenge of today, the challenge of the global world. Are you Global?

Dont live your life in poverty.
Rise above the challenges of today.
Live the kind of life you aspire to live.
Drive the cars you dreamt of.
Don't join the crowd, build your own destiny.
Develop boldness and courage to drive business ideas.
Walk in the foot steps of giants in business and family life.

An open opportunity exists for the unemployed, career men & women, professional consultants.
A free seminar package for 50 participants.

OTHER BENEFITS
Free Job Search Service/Opportunity
Volunteer Jobs in USA
Certificates and Awards
Opportunity to win field trips ticket for SUMMER IN USA.
Scholarship opportunity
Free Career Counseling.

DATE
Tuesday, 17th of APRIL,2012.

TIME
10AM PROMPT

FOR FREE BOOKINGS AND ENQUIRIES (FREE E-BOOK FOR THE FIRST 10 PARTICIPANTS)
CONTACT CHRIS (08029481639) SMS FOR GATE PASS NO.
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by tebill(m): 12:35pm On Apr 05, 2012
I major in biochemistry... Served in niger state as a teacher.how did help me...nothing except discuss photosynthesis and flog the hell out of some stubborn bastards. Decided to get an MBBS outside the country.. Now in my 6th year.. No time to waste. follow your dreams

1 Like

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Ehinafe: 12:40pm On Apr 05, 2012
Phonon: Join the booming and thriving unemployment market....:-D On a more serious note,many graduates have no idea what they want in the first place.They just keep gathering pieces of paper:PMP,CCNA,HSE etc that they think would give them an edge.In most cases,IT DOES NOT.This country has failed its youths.Countries such as China,Brazil,India etc are sending their brightest to go to the best US schools to study in various fields and then tap that knowledge to develop their economy.What do we do here?FG gives limited scholarships to people(some by merit) who want to study only Oil & Gas related courses and in rare cases,some non oil & gas scholarships to "obscure" countries like Russia,Ukraine etc.PATHETIC!
As for me,just waiting to write my GRE Physics Subject Test and GET OUT.

What is the quality of stuff being dished out by lecturers in our higher institution of learning in the coutry? The preliminary training by any employer of labour is induction course. Train-the-trainer courses are not made available to the lecturers. Some are already obsolete in their ideas. Hand-outs being utilised since 15 yrs ago is still the same lecture stuff being given out to students. I could remember, a 1st Class graduate of our universities in those days is a graduate anywhere in the world, before the advent of sorting.
Total overhauling of academic system is what is required to arrest this downward trend, otherwise, our generation yet unborn will not forgive our leaders for the bastardisation of educational system.

1 Like

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 05, 2012
Still thinking. . .
Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by bid4rich(m): 12:45pm On Apr 05, 2012
All corp member should knw dis that 'You didnt go to school to get a job, you were there to be a solution to urself and to the nation' its good to get a job but its more advisable to have a PLAN B in case option A did not materialise. Plan ahead because it wasnt raining when Noah built the Ark.

You wil succeed!

2 Likes

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by SuperT(m): 12:54pm On Apr 05, 2012
Next is to start your own Business.

Put what you learn in class into practice.

1 Like

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by mission08: 1:33pm On Apr 05, 2012
I could remember the day I wrote my last paper at the university, there was excitement in the air, coursemates were busy taking photographs but in the midst of it all, I was pensive. Not that I wasn't happy but to me graduating comes with responsibilities. I felt that I no longer had the right to request for allowance from my dad (my mum was late anyway),I had to be in charge of my life.

During pre-NYSC months, I knew I could not afford waiting for NYSC call up letter doing nothing. I designed my CV and started looking for job. Most of the companies visited demanded for NYSC discharge certificate but I later got a job with an indian company for a meagre salary (N23,000). Though the salary was poor, it was a learning experience, I used the opportunity to gather some skills.

Then came NYSC, I was posted to Rivers state (by sheer luck). I went to camp with high hope thinking PH here I come cheesy. But I was taken aback when I was told that all corpers would be posted to schools. While in camp, I learnt that some companies/banks looking for cheap labour codedly come for CVs so when that opportunity presented itselt, I submitted mine. (Some corpers never bothered coming to camp with CV and I wonder why). To cut the long story short, NYSC posted me to a school but I had my secondary assignment with a bank.

While serving, I did a 6-month professional course and was very prudent with money. Unfortunately, I lost my dad that same year. (meaning no mum, no dad)

After service, I lived on my savings for 7 months before getting a job.

Well, I could remember telling a colleague that I was home for seven months without a job, the next thing he said was," you should have gone 4 for Masters immediately". The truth is I for one couldnt do that; job comes first before Masters.

Looking back now I can say all is well that ends well.

12 Likes

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by deleo16(m): 1:42pm On Apr 05, 2012
i love this thread majority of this corper don think entrepreneurship at all all peope think about is when i finish with a strong 2.1 or 1st class i will get a gud job instead of having a hand tool job or some service they could render to people has they graduate or during school. i have a brother who love design web now he into it full time now he makes money instead of staying at home looking for a job he makes money
secondly the issue of education have been abuse in this country i studied chemistry in the university instead of we should involve ourselve more in pratical work that would be applicable to life issue instead we just cramming cramming cramming noting to work with or an entreprenuship base programme or frreelance should be run in line with ur course in skl thats why we will continue in this high rate of unemployment issue in nigeria thats why wil never win a nobel prize in science unless that person travel abroad to study the question is whats ur passion do what u love doing if its music ,comedy,motivational talk,graphic design,fashion pls continue with it very soon u will see the reward in it coz WE TEND TO BASE ALL OUR HOPES ON getting more certificate INSTEAD OF THINKING WEALTH CREATION.

2 Likes

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by inspirenet: 2:18pm On Apr 05, 2012
It is high time the New Generation Citizens of Nigeria wake up to the responsibility before them.

Things are fast changing.
What do you aspire to become.
What is your purpose on earth,
What is your assignment in Nigeria.

Learn how to earn a living legitimately.
How to work from home with a fixed income.
How to generate a net worth of 1/2 A MILLION NAIRA in two month.
How to volunteer for jobs in USA.
How to qualify for internship in USA.

Entrepreneurship is the sure way to a fulfilled destiny after NYSC.
For the New Generation of Nigerians, gone were the days when things were so rosy.
Wake up to the challenge of today, the challenge of the global world. Are you Global?

Dont live your life in poverty.
Rise above the challenges of today.
Live the kind of life you aspire to live.
Drive the cars you dreamt of.
Don't join the crowd, build your own destiny.
Develop boldness and courage to drive business ideas.
Walk in the foot steps of giants in business and family life.

An open opportunity exists for the unemployed, career men & women, professional consultants.
A free seminar package for 50 participants.

OTHER BENEFITS
Free Job Search Service/Opportunity
Volunteer Jobs in USA
Certificates and Awards
Opportunity to win field trips ticket for SUMMER IN USA.
Scholarship opportunity
Free Career Counseling.

DATE
Tuesday, 17th of APRIL,2012.

TIME
10AM PROMPT

FOR FREE BOOKINGS AND ENQUIRIES (FREE E-BOOK FOR THE FIRST 10 PARTICIPANTS)
CONTACT CHRIS (08029481639) SMS FOR GATE PASS NO.

1 Like

Re: Corp Members: What Is The Next Step After Your Nysc? by inspirenet: 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2012
deleo16: i love this thread majority of this corper don think entrepreneurship at all all peope think about is when i finish with a strong 2.1 or 1st class i will get a gud job instead of having a hand tool job or some service they could render to people has they graduate or during school. i have a brother who love design web now he into it full time now he makes money instead of staying at home looking for a job he makes money
secondly the issue of education have been abuse in this country i studied chemistry in the university instead of we should involve ourselve more in pratical work that would be applicable to life issue instead we just cramming cramming cramming noting to work with or an entreprenuship base programme or frreelance should be run in line with ur course in skl thats why we will continue in this high rate of unemployment issue in nigeria thats why wil never win a nobel prize in science unless that person travel abroad to study the question is whats ur passion do what u love doing if its music ,comedy,motivational talk,graphic design,fashion pls continue with it very soon u will see the reward in it coz WE TEND TO BASE ALL OUR HOPES ON getting more certificate INSTEAD OF THINKING WEALTH CREATION.

It is important for youths to take up personal responsibility for accomplishment.
Don't mistake schooling for education.
The world is now a global classroom.
We learn everyday!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NYSC: Anambra Corps Members Moved To Ebonyi, Imo Over Lack Of Facilities​ / NYSC Batch A Stream II Lets Meet Here. / Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.