Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,479 members, 7,826,809 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

The Problem Of Hell - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem Of Hell (971 Views)

WOMEN, The Major Problem Of Churches In Terms Of Dressing / Pastor Adeboye Warns Members About Sister Linda's Message Of Hell / Woman Gets A Glimpse Of Hell After Suicide Attempt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem Of Hell by Atheists: 9:13am On May 30, 2010
Is hell consistent with the concepts of an omnibenevolent, just, and moral God ?
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Jenwitemi(m): 10:20am On May 30, 2010
It is not, because the concept originated from beings that were neither omnibenevolent, nor moral. RELIGIOUS HUMAN BEINGS!
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Kay17: 3:32pm On May 30, 2010
An essential device of survival for Christianity. My advice for Christians threatened with Hell is this: combine all religions.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:31pm On May 30, 2010
[size=13pt]There is no problem in Hell. . . . the only problem is that Religion have created such an imaginary place to threaten people and save their God (s) . Hell would definitely be a very nice place to spend the rest of my life. . . . . wink[/size]
Re: The Problem Of Hell by manmustwac(m): 6:52pm On May 30, 2010
The only people who are in Hell are those who are finding it extremely difficult to survive, especially those surviving on less than $2 a day. Apart from that there is no Hell.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Ogaga4Luv(m): 7:11pm On May 30, 2010
[size=13pt]dear i do not agree with your comment someway. . . hell isn't real but when people like , any free thinker who have chosed to reign in hell is only a joker and didn't really mean it to be reality . like we satanist , the acceptance of dwelling in hell doesn't really mean it's for real but only just to make Religious folks to bang their head on hard rock because we didn't chose heaven .

the truth is , there's no place like HELL , although religion have find means to convince the world that there's a place that looks like pit burning with fire , and threatens whosoever that doesn't worship the so called God ( s) of the one world order.
[/size]
Re: The Problem Of Hell by 912(m): 8:31pm On May 30, 2010
Atheists:

Is hell consistent with the concepts of an omnibenevolent, just, and moral God ?

Hell is for souls that failed to do the will of God while they were living on earth (the unrighteous). It’s not for the living; and God's mercies are for the living and not for the dead as David accounted in Psalms 88 (please read the entire chapter with emphasis on verse 10 - 12). Hence God's benevolence cannot be questioned in his meting out punishment upon the souls of people that died in sin (the souls of the unjust and unrighteous).
Re: The Problem Of Hell by benodic: 9:58pm On May 30, 2010
this nairaland religious section is very poor indeed.

mostly boring christians and moslems with their boring heaven and hell.

i wish other religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Jainism, etc. can come on board to give us a more broader based views on most of these posts.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Jenwitemi(m): 10:15pm On May 30, 2010
benodic:

i wish other religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Jainism, etc. can come on board to give us a more broader based views on most of these posts.
Very one dimensional, i know.

We all create our own hell or heaven with our own minds. It all depends on how dirty or clean one is inside. The inner republic determines it all.

-Corrupted and sick inner state of being creates outer hell to be experienced by the creator him/herself.
-Clean and spiritually healthy inner state of being creates heaven on the outer to be experienced by the creator him/herself.

That is how things works.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by You1: 1:38am On Jun 08, 2010
This is just to clarify what Hell is before I answer your question:

OK, The hell that most Christians imagine is based on Greek mythology. Burning for eternity and being constantly punished for a life that you didn't give to God. Now it is true that God punishes you for not believing in his son (Jesus Christ- and God. They are one in the same after all.)

But that punishment isn't for eternity! Nowhere in the bible does it say that hell is "everlasting". It does say "Forever" but DO research, the Hebrew word "Forever" didn't mean eternity. It meant from (whenever it started) to the time there life ended. (the word consisted and was limited to a beginning point and an ending point: e.g: They were born into the world and they worked forever, till they died.)

So at the end God will resurrect you (not you but the evil person(s)), and then the bible tells us that all of the evil doers (anyone thats name was not found in the book of life) and Satan will be thrown into the lake of fire. This is called the second death,  DEATH,  DEEAATH! not a second LIFE, where you are tormented for eternity. But the end of your life.

A lot of people say "What about the soul, I was taught that the soul couldn't die?" Well, I think the bible is pretty clear on what a soul is, and yes it can die. Gen 2:7: "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." THE MAN BECAME A LIVING SOUL! So can the "soul" live without the body? NO!

Body + Gods breath = A live person/ a living soul. And Yes the fire's of hell can destroy the body and the breath of God. Matthew 10:28 "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (When he says "Cannot kill the soul" he is saying (well going off of the fact) that your "soul", the breath of God. Gos back up to him (In Heaven) till the second coming and the resurrection.

Yes, he does resurrect your body. Doesn't the bible use examples? He resurrected Jesus! and if your argument was that he was a "spirit", then how can the people touch him? How could they see him for that matter? Did God not resurrect his BODY? Did they not find Jesus's tomb EMPTY!?

And YES! hell is "consistent with the concepts of an omnibenevolent, just, and moral God"!!! He gave/ is giving you a chance!!! Give your life to God! He is JUST, look, he told them/ warned (warning) them of the world (throw the bible) He says that there will be justice, everyone (and everything) that was/is evil will be destroyed.

Thank you, and God bless.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:20am On Jun 08, 2010
[size=13pt]True talk bro. . . . they're very boring indeed! just more than pest. grin wink[/size]

benodic:

Re: The Problem Of Hell by thehomer: 8:41am On Jun 09, 2010
9-11:

Hell is for souls that failed to do the will of God while they were living on earth (the unrighteous). It’s not for the living; and God's mercies are for the living and not for the dead as David accounted in Psalms 88 (please read the entire chapter with emphasis on verse 10 - 12). Hence God's benevolence cannot be questioned in his meting out punishment upon the souls of people that died in sin (the souls of the unjust and unrighteous).

Then why should most of his human "creations" go to hell?
Re: The Problem Of Hell by You1: 2:19pm On Jun 09, 2010
What do you mean? I think this is just whats going to happen, MOST of the people are going to fall, and only the ones that love him will be with him in the Heavenly kingdom. Matthew 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." It is what is easer to do [the broad gate].
Re: The Problem Of Hell by thehomer: 3:03pm On Jun 09, 2010
@You:

What do you mean? I think this is just whats going to happen, MOST of the people are going to fall, and only the ones that love him will be with him in the Heavenly kingdom. Matthew 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." It is what is easer to do [the broad gate].

My question is, why should it be this way? Why should God design things such that most humans go to hell and still claim that it was not for humans? Even most of those that love him or loved him would end up there.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by You1: 3:53pm On Jun 09, 2010
"claim that it wan't for humans: [talking about hell?]" Hell was made for humans. Hell is our original destination. Because of Eve and Adam sin was brought into this world and man became corrupted, our natural desire is to sin, there for our designation is hell if we do not repent and become a new creation in God.

James 1:13-15: "[13] Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. [14] But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. [15] Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death."

", HIS OWN DESIRES, " this is the natural thing for man.

God can not look at sin, and for him to fulfill his promises, and make the earth new, sin has to be done away with.

Can you tell me in the bible were it says hell was not made for humans?
and what do you mean by "those that love him or loved him would end up there."? God promisis that if you belive in his son [Jesus Christ] then you will go to the kingdom of heaven, and be there when the world is made new.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by bawomolo(m): 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2010
isn't the concept of hell rooted in the book of revelations? correct me if am wrong
Re: The Problem Of Hell by You1: 6:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
ummm,  well the first mention of the word "hell" is in the book of Matthew[5:22]. Can you explain what you mean by "rooted"?

<added-- some of this might seem out of context --> The main concept of hell, [being tormented for eternity], came from Greek mythology, so Its "roots" started there I am sure. The bible says "you seek and you shall find" and people look at Luke 16 [I talk about it later] and say this is how hell is going to be, but in truth, there opinion is [or can me considered] biased. They are looking for proof that hell is the way that they think, and the mind can twist things so that it can become "proof". [naturally] Your mind looks for a pattern and is seeking for something to be added to what they where raised to believe.

You have to study the bible with an open mind, and don't let your past or how you were raised effect the way you see something, be prepared to be corrected my the bible. [sorry I just had to add that, sorry if I hurt anyones feelings, but I believe this to be true]<added>

The book of Revelations is talking about then end of times, destruction of sin, and the coming of Jesus Christ. So no doubt that it talks about the lake of fire[Hell], and how Satan and all of the people that followed him are thrown in. But a lot of people talk about the book of Luke [chapter 16:19-31 the parable: The rich man and lazarus] and say that this is how hell is going to be. But IT IS A PARABLE, they can't be taken literal.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by Osama10(m): 3:29am On Jun 11, 2010
Hell is simply the common grave of mankind.

Jesus Christ went to hell, he died.

Common sense people.
Re: The Problem Of Hell by You1: 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2010
Right, the Hebrew word for "hell" is Sheol, Hades, or Tartarus. The meaning: Grave or Pit. (the Greek word is Hades: meaning the same thing.) The bible teaches that death is like a sleep, [this is just one simple example]:Psalm 13:3 "Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;"

The other word: Tartarus (Greek): This is meaning a dark abyss, a gloomy place, a pit. A example of this word would be: 2 Petter 2:4"For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell (original word: Tartaus) , and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;" I think this is kinda funny. he tells us he sent them to the grave (hell, or tartarus), waiting for the judgment. Yet people still believe that when you die you immediately go to Heaven or Hell (<- tormented for eternity).

(Words in Hebrew and Greek are like words in English, they have different minings at different times and in different contexts. )
Re: The Problem Of Hell by SLIGHT(m): 8:17pm On Jun 12, 2010
Look around u, everywhere, human uniqueness, nature, events - u really think theres no God, heaven, hell, judgement Think twice!
Re: The Problem Of Hell by You1: 2:28am On Jun 13, 2010
What are you talking about I never said that God did not exist. And I never said that Heaven didn't exist ether. I was talking about Hell and how the bible doesn't support everlasting torment.

Anymore questions about hell? Oh, and look at this:
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/GatesOfHell.html

(1) (Reply)

7 Seals, Trumpets, Vials: Explained / Muslim Belief / Maybe Jesus Is Not Coming Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.