Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,696 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies (8373 Views)

Top 3 Smartphone Brands Making Waves In 2019 / Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Unboxing - Other Smartphone Brands Better Sit Up / Top Quality Smartphone Brands Nigerians Should Stop Neglecting.(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:46am On Jun 05, 2018
A close look at how the smartphone industry is saturated with different brands, you would wonder how smaller brands cope with the big boys in the industry – Samsung, HTC, Huawei etc.

Slow Android OS Distribution Rate

The end result of the mode of operation of the smaller brands has drastically affected the distribution rate of the Android OS globally. Apple’s iOS powered devices have one common feature – Regular updates. Something that is quickly turning to an illusion on some Android powered smartphones.

You may say that iOS isn’t an open source operating system and it is managed solely by the Cupertino based company that is why it’s easy for Apple to send out regular updates but aren’t the bigger brands in the Android ecosystem sending out updates

Wireless Update Bloatware

There’s no excuse for not sending updates to users. Every single android device has a wireless or software update app but most android users that use these devices may use these phones for more than a year without getting a single security update, software update or full system upgrade. These apps are becoming bloatware. They do nothing on the phone. They just lie lifeless on the device adding no necessary value to the phone.

Top Brands Striking Partnerships with Telecom Companies

Top smartphone companies in the United States, United Kingdom and other top economies understand the importance of regular updates and have gone into partnership with the telecoms companies there. Even some of their devices are sold by these carriers like Verizon, T-Mobile, At&t etc. Sometimes these updates are even tailored and distributed by the carriers each period the updates are sent by the smartphone manufacturers. The smaller brands shy away from these partnerships.

Phone Swap Unavailable

Smaller Brands have one marketing strategy and it works pretty well for them – Need an Update: Buy A New Phone. Unlike the bigger brands that send updates and still allow users swap their phones for the latest models by adding a little amount to their devices and swapping their old phones for a newer model, these smaller brands make sure they take every single penny from the consumers and are still unapologetic about it. Most times professional repair services for these brands are almost nowhere to be found.

The Profit Model

I believe every business usually has an aim of making profit and I am not against it. However, I think these smaller brands ought to borrow a leaf from these bigger brands and act like standard smartphone companies. They can sell phones in bulk to telecommunications companies and the telecom carriers can in turn sell the devices to consumers and promise them a phone swap once there is a new model of the device. To the best of my knowledge no law prohibits them from doing so.

Unreliability of Telecom Services

The carriers in other countries usually have the devices locked to their network only as part of the agreement with the smartphone company. It seems that such services un Nigeria would prove abortive as no Telecom company can be relied in totally therefore nobody would want a device locked to a specific carrier. We are in the era of dual sim devices so we may not necessarily be able to blame or point accusing fingers at these brands now. However, in the future if things change we can blame these companies for being profit driven.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2018/06/how-smaller-smartphone-brands-are.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Johnchike(m): 7:13am On Jun 05, 2018
Some of the issues raised are so true.

1 Like

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Wealthyonline(m): 7:23am On Jun 05, 2018
They just want to make phone and money

If You are bold enough see my signature

4 Likes

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Ezigboune: 7:24am On Jun 05, 2018
It's alright
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Omojolaray(m): 7:24am On Jun 05, 2018
O dah yan MO what's on my neck is diamond.... Lol

2 Likes

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by ViaFast: 7:24am On Jun 05, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by maxiuc(m): 7:26am On Jun 05, 2018
grin
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Flintstone06(m): 7:33am On Jun 05, 2018
Even Gionee doesn't update....
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 7:36am On Jun 05, 2018
We already knew sha, but carry on
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Depot(m): 7:36am On Jun 05, 2018
I cant t use a phone that doesn't update
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Emerald94(f): 7:43am On Jun 05, 2018
still praying for a good job......

I see nice phones everyday, but don't have the money
O God please bless me with a job, I pray...Amen

4 Likes

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Macnnoli4(m): 7:44am On Jun 05, 2018
I wonder why ads always interrupt me on my android
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by iamleumas: 7:51am On Jun 05, 2018
Trhe
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 05, 2018
Emerald94:
still praying for a good job......

I see nice phones everyday, but don't have the money

O God please bless me with a job, I pray...Amen

I say Amen to that wink

1 Like

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by henry007(m): 8:04am On Jun 05, 2018
Smaller brands is a relative term. Some are small in US & big in Africa or Asia.

2 Likes

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by austinereds(m): 8:07am On Jun 05, 2018
it's sad. even renowned brands do that a lot. next time I am getting a mobile gadget lot of these will be on my consideration lists. nice one @naijatechguy.

2 Likes

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by zinizta: 8:31am On Jun 05, 2018
intelligent and informative.
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by OVA200(m): 8:36am On Jun 05, 2018
OP that's why they lower their price because they can't meet up with all you listed up there, I will totally support you if they are selling their phone for the same price big brand are selling theirs,

Imagine leagoo T5 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, Fingerprint scanner, Dual back camera, 5.5" for 43K,
Homtom S8 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 5.7", Fingerprint scanner for 44K,

Oukitel U11 plus 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 5.7" Fingerprint scanner for 39K,
Umidigi s2 lite 4GB RAM, 32GB ROM, 6.0" Fingerprint scanner, Face ID, 5100 mAh, Dual back camera for 45K
and you still expect them to do all you listed up there it's not possible OP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:38am On Jun 05, 2018
austinereds:
it's sad. even renowned brands do that a lot. next time I am getting a mobile gadget lot of these will be on my consideration lists. nice one @naijatechguy.
smiley
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by tk4rd: 4:23pm On Jun 05, 2018
FIRST PAGE COMMENT.!!
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Abiodunspectre(m): 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2018
Same way big brands are reaping customer off.
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by Freeko4: 3:04pm On Jun 14, 2018
OVA200:
OP that's why they lower their price because they can't meet up with all you listed up there, I will totally support you if they are selling their phone for the same price big brand are selling theirs,

Imagine leagoo T5 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, Fingerprint scanner, Dual back camera, 5.5" for 43K,

Umidigi s2 lite 4GB RAM, 32GB ROM, 6.0" Fingerprint scanner, Face ID, 5100 mAh, Dual back camera for 45K

dis phone av gud spec compare to the wack phones tecno and co re giving us
Re: How Smaller Smartphone Brands Are Becoming Unapologetic Profit Driven Companies by tck2000(m): 2:52pm On Jan 01, 2020
OVA200:

(1) (Reply)

Moto 360, Anyone? / What Star Did You Left 2go Mobile App / My 1st Time Experience As An Aliexpress User Dec 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.