Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. (1450 Views)

Some Hilarious Pidgin English Proverbs To Crack You Up / Oyaaa! Waffi Men, Benin Men, Port Harcourt Niggies, Yenagoa Men. Pidgin Contest / Pidgin Words, Meaning And Origin You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 5:22pm On Jun 05, 2018
What do you think will happen to the Nigerdeltan languages A hundred years from now. Now that Pidgin is Taking over.

From Benin Sapele Warri To Yenagoa And Port harcourt. most Youths and lots of other Adults less than 30 years of age now speak Naija Pidgin as a Native first language thus neglecting their Tribes language. Two years ago in Bayelsa the Government launched a save ijaw language programme because of This same reason. I don't see much progress in it though. as I'm one of the youths affected by this Phenomenon. Share your thoughts on this Pls.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 5:37pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sinistami:
What do you think will happen to the Nigerdeltan languages A hundred years from now. Now that Pidgin is Taking over.

From Benin Sapele Warri To Yenagoa And Port harcourt. most Youths and lots of other Adults less than 30 years of age now speak Naija Pidgin as a Native first language thus neglecting their Tribes language. Two years ago in Bayelsa the Government launched a save ijaw language programme because of This same reason. I don't see much progress in it though. as I'm one of the youths affected by this Phenomenon. Share your thoughts on this Pls.

ben bruce, edwin clark, you niger deltans even change your names to sound un-native.

after niger delta, comes igbo in losing their identity. even though igbo pple are using nollywood and govt sponsored igbo language in sec schools to maintain their own.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 5:41pm On Jun 05, 2018
why it is so in niger delta is cause there is no unifying language. i mean there is no language that cuts across niger delta so the indegenes find it difficult communicating with the hundreds of tribe in niger delta.

igbos invented central igbo to solve this issue.

central igbo is understood and spoken across from ebonyi to imo. unlike the local igbo dialects which vary.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by mercenary: 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2018
CptBule:

ben bruce, edwin clark, you niger deltans even change your names to sound un-native.

after niger delta, comes igbo in losing their identity. even though igbo pple are using nollywood and govt sponsored igbo language in sec schools to maintain their own.
That is there name... Go to Rivers state their names are mainly English Like the Briggs, LongJohn, Finebone, Whyte, Green etc... carry your bush life go sidon for gutter

1 Like

Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 6:17pm On Jun 05, 2018
CptBule:

I understand the Nigerdeltan own (every kilmetre is a different language) But the Igbos I don't get. I thought they were all homogeneous except the Ones who are native to the Niger Delta.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 6:20pm On Jun 05, 2018
mercenary:
That is there name... Go to Rivers state their names are mainly English Like the Briggs, LongJohn, Finebone, Whyte, Green etc... carry your bush life go sidon for gutter

yes thank u they don't change their names that's what they have been answering since birth.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 6:41pm On Jun 05, 2018
mercenary:

Yes i am a bushman. i have an identity, bear my native name and retain my culture.

you sir, have lost your identity and embraced a white man.

that is partly some of the reasons you guys culture are not recognized beyond Nigeria.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 6:42pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sinistami:

yes thank u they don't change their names that's what they have been answering since birth.

what they started answering since birth name right after the white men stepped on the shores of the land.

what names did their fathers who preceded the whites and did not meet them answer?

what names?

#faded
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 6:54pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sinistami:

I understand the Nigerdeltan own (every kilmetre is a different language) But the Igbos I don't get. I thought they were all homogeneous except the Ones who are native to the Niger Delta.

The then english king who had Germanic roots changed his sur after wwII because of anti-germanic sentiments growing in england.

same scenario played out in Se after the civil war. individuals who wanted to get their lives back in Nigerian cities outside the Se had to change their surs and stop speaking igbo publicly, after the war, in order to gain acceptance at places of jobs and in their host communities.

this slowly faded, thanks to nollywood and igbo music artistes who bring pride to the language, now non igbo speakers tend to learn d language to understand being passed in their mother talk. thanks too to Se government for institutionalizing Igbo lang in all primary and sec schools across Se.
thank God.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 7:14pm On Jun 05, 2018
CptBule:

what they started answering since birth name right after the white men stepped on the shores of the land.

what names did their fathers who preceded the whites and did not meet them answer?

what names?

#faded

you misunderstood me sir. Why do u people keep dragging ancestors into everything they life is over our is just beginning. are you even sure the the Ancestors of ur Ancestors spoke the language the same language that ur ancestors spoke and observed the same traditions and culture. what I mean is dat a lot have happened in the past to shape culture. things like dis have happened before their is notin new under the sun. catch Mah drift.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sinistami:

you misunderstood me sir. Why do u people keep dragging ancestors into everything they life is over our is just beginning. are you even sure the the Ancestors of ur Ancestors spoke the language the same language that ur ancestors spoke and observed the same traditions and culture. what I mean is dat a lot have happened in the past to shape culture. things like dis have happened before their is notin new under the sun. catch Mah drift.

that is the point. a strong culture stands the test of time and tide.
the best that can be changed by civilization are acts seeking to dehumanize a fellow human such as killing of twins, slavery, circumcision of females, gender unequality.

outside these ones, when you touch your names especially sur, dress sense, lifestyle, traditional institutions, festivals, you start to wipe your culture away from face of the earth.

you people cant keep complaining your culture is dying and unrecognized outside borders of Nigeria and yet when you are told the reasons why and how to stop it. you go defensive.

oya keep answering john and dii...ckson as surs na. and be speaking pidgin.

na my culture deh wipe?

all over the world celebs are tracing their african roots and identifying with them, the ones from ur region will have no place to return to, if sooth and bad water havent killed off the remaining population left behind.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 9:13pm On Jun 05, 2018
[quote author=CptBule post=68210971]

that is the point. a strong culture stands the test of time and tide.
the best that can be changed by civilization are acts seeking to dehumanize a fellow human such as killing of twins, slavery, circumcision of females, gender unequality.

outside these ones, when you touch your names especially sur, dress sense, lifestyle, traditional institutions, festivals, you start to wipe your culture away from face of the earth.

you people cant keep complaining your culture is dying and unrecognized outside borders of Nigeria and yet when you are told the reasons why and how to stop it. you go defensive.

oya keep answering john and dii...ckson as surs na. and be speaking pidgin.

na my culture deh wipe?

all over the world celebs are tracing their african roots and identifying with them, the ones from ur region will have no place to return to, if sooth and bad water havent killed off the remaining population left behind.[/quot

The thing is I wasn't complaining I was just asking of thoughts on it. And I didn't insult u I don't knw hw u got DAT impression. And what's bad about Pidgin its a new language thats developing rapidly. And what i was trying to say is that what is happening in the Niger delta is more of a blending of Cultures with one another creating a new culture. and even if the "Celebs" you're talking about came if they don't like what they see they shouldn't blame us we don't care for the most part. Dem giv us culture to keep for dem. Actually the recent Phenomenon has been quite useful Uniting us under one umbrella I quite think its a bit good rather than playing Itshekiri vs Ijaw. we can Just be called Nigerians for once. Cultures always evolve. ask Americans wether they still practice desame culture as their respective original lands they came from all their cultures got blended into what you seeing now. and you think in a place like Nigeria such things won't happen. plus I don't really like the Name thing I used to answer Godgift my birth name but I just changed it to Sinikien a native name meaning desame Godgift when I was 12. so I don't support this.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 10:33pm On Jun 05, 2018
[quote author=Sinistami post=68213697][/quote]
It's good you don't support it. I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded offensive.
I love how Sinikien sounds in my tongue. Tastes/sounds un-Nigerian.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 10:33pm On Jun 05, 2018
[quote author=Sinistami post=68213697][/quote]
It's good you don't support it. I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded offensive.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 10:37pm On Jun 05, 2018
CptBule:

It's good you don't support it.
I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded offensive.

it's a Native Yenagoan name. Yenagoa people speak a very different language from the rest of bayelsa very different from Ijaw lol.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sinistami:

it's a Native Yenagoan name. Yenagoa people speak a very different language from the rest of bayelsa very different from Ijaw lol.

Different from Ijaw seff!

That is the uniqueness and beauty of the south.

United in diversity. Many tongues, one voice!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 11:01pm On Jun 05, 2018
CptBule:

Different from Ijaw seff!

That is the uniqueness and beauty of the south.

United in diversity. Many tongues, one voice!

lol you never Jam they are up to 11 different languages in Bayelsa alone. Izon(ijaw) which also has lots of dialects in which some are incomprehensible to one another. 2 Nembe 3 Epie(Yenagoa) 4 Ogbia. These are the big 4 the rest are Isoko And Urhobo then Engenne. The others I don't know. I heard they was Igbo somewhere sha. teaspoon Unity in Diversity.
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by CptBule(m): 11:08pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sinistami:

lol you never Jam they are up to 11 different languages in Bayelsa alone. Izon(ijaw) which also has lots of dialects in which some are incomprehensible to one another. 2 Nembe 3 Epie(Yenagoa) 4 Ogbia. These are the big 4 the rest are Isoko And Urhobo then Engenne. The others I don't know. I heard they was Igbo somewhere sha. teaspoon Unity in Diversity.

Your diversity is your strength. I love that the Southern tribes have co-habited with eachother as neighbors while none tried to conquer their neighbor.

That's tolerance, unity, understanding and love.

Long live the South, her peoples, and their culture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Dayoto: 12:49am On Jun 10, 2018
hmm
Re: Pidgin English Take Over In The Niger Delta. by Sinistami(m): 8:28pm On Jun 10, 2018
Dayoto:
hmm
what's hmmm

(1) (Reply)

The World Should See This In South Africa (pix) / How I Killed My Wife — Prophet / Yoruba Pronunciation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.