Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Richard Scudamore To Quit As Premier League Head At The End Of The Year - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Richard Scudamore To Quit As Premier League Head At The End Of The Year (257 Views)

Lee Mason Quits As Premier League VAR Referee / Rohr Set To Quit As Super Eagles Head Coach / Bobby Madley Quits As Premier League Referee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Richard Scudamore To Quit As Premier League Head At The End Of The Year by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 9:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
RICHARD SCUDAMORE shocked Premier League clubs as he announced he will stand down by the end of the year.

Scudamore, who has headed the Prem since replacing the axed Peter Leaver in 1999, made his surprise announcement at the end of the League’s AGM in Harrogate.

It brings to an end a 19-year reign in which Scudamore has transformed the Premier League into a global footballing superpower, generating billions of pounds and making English clubs the richest in the world.

Scudamore, 58, who believes it is time for a new challenge, said: “I have no plans to retire.

“Whatever I do next, I will carve out more time to support them in pursuit of their own passions - and to see more of Bristol City.”

His decision came at the end of a day when he has overseen some major changes to the structure of splitting the finances from television deals between the clubs.

And the Premier League have also agreed to sell rights to broadcast 20 matches to a digital streaming service for the first time, in the shape of Amazon.

Scudamore said: It's an absolute privilege to have been allowed to enjoy this role for so long, it is too much fun to be called a job.

"Football is an intoxicating environment and therefore difficult to give up being so involved, but my passion for what football means to so many and the positive impact it can make will never be diminished.

"The past 20 years would not have been possible without the continuing support and encouragement of the clubs and the unstinting efforts of my colleagues at the Premier League, whose professionalism and dedication are only surpassed by their decency and sense of fun.

"We could not have achieved so much without the enormous commitment of broadcast and commercial partners across the world.

"That number will run into hundreds, they have all contributed to our story and I would like to thank them enormously.

"However, I am sure they will forgive me for singling out Sky for special recognition. Back in 1992, they were the catalyst for the start of the Premier League journey and have backed us all the way since, joining forces to see off regulatory and other challenges throughout whilst setting global standards in broadcasting excellence that others have strived to replicate.

"The Premier League is in great shape, and the future is bright, of course there are still many things to improve and constant challenges, but that is what makes it so exhilarating.

"The clubs put on the greatest show; fans, such an essential part of that show, love it both here and around the world.

"Because it is so compelling, the League's success will continue under new and re-invigorated leadership."

Scudamore, an avid Bristol City fan, began his career in newspapers on the advertising side, going on to spend three years as senior vice president of the Thomson Corporation in America.

He first moved into football in 1997, when he became chief executive of the Football League - and two years later he was appointed in a similar role by the Premier League.

Scudamore's influence and leadership helped turn the organisation into a global success story in commercial terms, helping agree television deals worth £5.5billion.

http://footballflaver..com/2018/06/richard-scudamore-to-quit-as-premier.html?m=1

Re: Richard Scudamore To Quit As Premier League Head At The End Of The Year by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 11:45am On Jun 08, 2018
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Brazil V Switzerland Prediction & Betting Preview / Brand New 2 Bedroom Luxury Flat Apartment At Palmgroove, Onipanu. Price : 750000 / Maradona Hit By Blood Pressure After Nigeria, Argentina Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.