Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) (7636 Views)

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Distress sales!!Used Volkswagen Bora For Quick Sale nw 220k / Very Clean 2001 VW Bora For Sale! (used but just like toks) going for N580k! (fixed) / Vw Bora 2003 Model (manual Drive) For Sale. Price NOW N450k last... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 11:31pm On Jun 01, 2010
First, The engine is smoking. But that's not the issue for sale.

The reason for sale is that the owner is traveling out, so he needs cash.

If you like this baby, you can come for inspection.

The only thing you have to do is change of Engine.

The 2.0 Engine is from 32k or more.

---------Features---------
6 disk changer
factory alloy wheels
Woofer in the boot
Key less entry
Manual Transmission
Power windows
central lock
AC

-----------------------------

The car is going for

Amount: 400,000k Last.

Pics below.

Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 11:35pm On Jun 01, 2010
more

Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 11:40pm On Jun 01, 2010
more

Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 11:41pm On Jun 01, 2010
The Engine has been already converted. Those who know about it will understand.

Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:08am On Jun 02, 2010
Hmmmm! first the engine smokes! then the only thing you have to do is change the engine! The Engine has been already converted. Those who know about it will understand! 480,000k fixed. well all i can say is happy sales. shocked
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 12:21am On Jun 02, 2010
anoda

Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 12:24am On Jun 02, 2010
RICHIE BOI:

Hmmmm! first the engine smokes! then the only thing you have to do is change the engine! The Engine has been already converted. Those who know about it will understand! 480,000k fixed. well all i can say is happy sales. shocked

Whats the problem?

If you don't have any good message to pass, please do me a favour by staying out.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 02, 2010
I admire your honesty, Mr. Official, in telling prospective buyers the engine's smoky.

Sounds like it needs valve stem seals, or piston rings. This will certainly be more cost-effective than replacing the whole engine.

From the look of the engine currently sitting in the bay, it would appear it's been replaced at some point with a carburretor version from a VW Golf II, or at least the fuel system's been converted from multi-point injection to a single carburettor from a Golf II?
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 12:45am On Jun 02, 2010
Siena:

I admire your honesty, Mr. Official, in telling prospective buyers the engine's smoky.

Sounds like it needs valve stem seals, or piston rings. This will certainly be more cost-effective than replacing the whole engine.

From the look of the engine currently sitting in the bay, it would appear it's been replaced at some point with a carburretor version from a VW Golf II, or at least the fuel system's been converted from multi-point injection to a single carburettor from a Golf II?

You're right sir.

The carburettor is not electrically connected, its one of the reasons why the engine didn't last. The engine is either 1.6 or 1.8

2.0 with electric carburettor will do very well.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 02, 2010
Gotya. The short life span of the engine doesn't stem from the fact it's been converted to carburettor. It's probably the way it was maintained. Bora engines are all multi-point injection. It would be best to get it back to the original fuel system, it'll do wonders for performance, as well as resale value.

The VW Bora's a good solid car, and will cover well over 300,000 miles if properly looked after.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 10:10am On Jun 02, 2010
Bump!

Contact me on: 08120288155
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mishooo(m): 12:07pm On Jun 02, 2010
mr.official:

First, The engine is smoking. But that's not the issue for sale.

The only thing you have to do is change of Engine.

The 2.0 Engine is from 32k or more.

A smoky engine cant be hidden once the car starts- - - - -
But Mr. Official,  i dont think you are being very truthful with the engine cost sir. We are talking about VW here. Cant be less than 200K(do your research very well).
I also think Bora 's Engine Block is aluminium and thats why its smoking. if my assumption is true, then if its damaged, it cant be repaired.

I wish you happy sales though.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 12:14pm On Jun 02, 2010
mishooo:

A smoking engine cant be hidden once the car starts- - - - -
But Mr. Official,  i dont think you are being very truthful with the engine cost sir. We are talking about VW here. Cant be less than 200K(do your research very well).
I also think Bora 's Engine Block is aluminium and thats why its smoking. if my assumption is true, then if its damaged, it cant be repaired.

I wish you happy sales though.

grin grin grin

I've heard you.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by VV2A(m): 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Sienna.

The car's exterior looks good. Would you advise sum1 to buy it and change the engine (what kind of engine 1.6,1.8 or 2.0) as suggested by seller cos i agree that VWs can go 300,000 miles. or what other things would 1 need to look out for?
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 1:38pm On Jun 03, 2010
Bump!
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by pepperyboy: 1:57pm On Jun 03, 2010
send me the details im interested in inspecting it, otombrio2002@yahoo.com
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 3:05pm On Jun 03, 2010
pepperyboy:

send me the details im interested in inspecting it, otombrio2002@yahoo.com

What details are you talking about? my address? Call me and let's talk.

Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by obojo(m): 9:14pm On Jun 03, 2010
pigs will fly before this volkswagen model does 300,000 without major problems, i bought mine brand new from vw center and @ just 80,000, d engine was already giving major problems, traveled only once with d car from Lagos to Benin and back, as @ den d engine was about 220k, this is years ago dont know about now, people were buying golf 3 engine and putting in their boras, sold mine instead
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by mrofficial(m): 12:42am On Jun 05, 2010
[size=15pt]The car has been sold to a non-nairalander.[/size]
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 05, 2010
obojo:

pigs will fly before this volkswagen model does 300,000 without major problems, i bought mine brand new from vw center and @ just 80,000, d engine was already giving major problems, traveled only once with d car from Lagos to Benin and back, as @ den d engine was about 220k, this is years ago dont know about now, people were buying golf 3 engine and putting in their boras, sold mine instead

In that case, pigs are flying pretty high.

My sister runs a 2000 model year Bora 2,0 SE. It's maintained by myself, and as at March this year, had covered 253,000 miles. My neighbour runs a 1998 Golf IV 1,8 20V, and it has covered 312,000 miles. Someday, you guys in Nigeria will come to realise that maintainance culture has a lot to do with how long an average engine should last, before extensive overhauling (or replacement) are required.

As for the Golf III engine - it's EXACTLY the same as that in the Bora, it's Volkswagen's EA-827 series motors, which have seen service right back from the days of the Audi 80 B1 in 1974. The only updates between the Golf III and Bora are the fuel system. If the Bora engine's so bad, what about the countless Golf II's still in service as taxis in Nigeria?

Blame your "mechanics" that keep on changing parts over between different fuel systems. After a while, it's difficult to know what percentage of your engine's the original, and what's from some older, long-dead model. Which of course makes fault finding a nightmare in future. Most of the Golf III's were not OBD compliant either.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by obojo(m): 9:54pm On Jun 05, 2010
Just ask yourself what happened to all the thousands of boras and passats that were being driven when the cars first came out, how many do you see in Lagos today? you now see more golf 3's than boras,
I said "without major problems" i didn't say its impossible to get to that mileage, And the problematic vw's are the ones just before the latest models. and are you trying to say that the golf 2 and golf 4 have exactly the same engine?? how is that possible?? an engine consists of 100's of different parts not just one thing. even the same year model of cars come with different engine trims,
Your sister may just be lucky, maybe its cause of the engine capacity, mine was a 1.6 and was maintained by Volkswagen center for the first two years, Im sure d bora will have had parts like the fuel pump and ejector replaced more than 5 times cause i constantly had problems with these, i drove the car personally for almost 3yrs so i know what i'm saying, and i have been in mechanics shops and witnessed golf3 engines being put in boras and even a bug, the earlier golf3 engines are completely different , i personally inspected and priced both of them when i was having problems with mine , and everyone knows that the automatic gears of Volkswagen from 1998 to 2003 gives problems 50% of the time, i have had friends that have used the American specs(jetta) and the passat and they always called me with one problem or the other. The only friend with d least complains was d one using d Tuareg but d interior of this car always scratches and peels, i have driven a 2004 Benz after d bora and i currently drive a 2007 BMW , with little problems so it has nothing to with how i maintained or drove the car, and i tell u the bora is the most problematic , car i've driven in my life, mechanics even advise you to go for manual when buying these models, other current or past Volkswagen users or mechanics please leave your comments, Im pretty sure more than 50 percent of volkwagen users will know what im talking about,
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 06, 2010
Yes, the Golf II and IV / Bora use exactly the same engine. I did say the only items that change are the fuel system. Mechanics putting the EA 827 engines from the Golf II / III do so because it's an engine with a basic fuel system they feel they can cope with, which is wrong. It's also done because the older engines are cheaper, and easier to find used. The hit-or-miss / random replacement of parts on cars culture is very much alive and thriving in Nigeria.

My sister was not just lucky - if she was, then all the Bora's that pass through my workshop have lucky owners, with massive mileage. The Bora is also a very popular car in the fleet sector - if they were as problematic as you state, fleet controllers wouldn't run them. These guys are there to maximise profit for their companies, not spunk it all on repairing an unreliable car that's prone to failure. 75% of the VW Golf IV / Bora and the mechanically similar Passat I work on are fleet cars, the fleet managers keep a close watch on expenditure on these cars. If they were unreliable, they would have switched to different makes / models.

The fact your Bora was maintained by a Volkswagen centre does not guarantee the techs that work there know their onions. Even here in Britain, I've worked within the VW dealership, and have been shocked at some of the practices amongst the techs. It's one thing having good techs, it's also quite another having adequate quality control. Any modern car maintained with an older car approach will not respond positively! As technology advances, the techs that work on them need to move on too. Not keep on retro-fitting parts from older models because they're comfortable with them, and therefore resistant to change.

There may be more Golf III's in Lagos today - it's a model that was built in greater numbers, over a longer period than the Bora. The Golf III was built from 1991 - 1998 (200 in estate form) while the Bora was built in smaller volume from 1998 - 2004. The numbers of a given car seen in Lagos do not reflect any reliability issues, more of what's seen as the "norm" as advised by mechanics. I wouldn't conclude based on the fact there were more '98 Toyota Camry 2,2L I4 in Lagos, that the rarer 2001 Toyota Camry 3,0L V6 was inferior, would I?

It would also help if you were more specific in terms of the problems you experienced with your "problematic" Bora? Just so we know, it would also educate others. Right now, it's all a bit vague. Injectors are not made by Volkswagen, the injectors used in the Golf III and Bora / Golf IV are all Bosch items, so failure will be across all the cars running them. The only exception were the Simos items used in early 1,6L cars, and they too have had no reported issues.

When you say you personally inspected and priced both a Golf III and IV engines, what exactly do you mean? As in did you crack both blocks open, and check the internals? Not taking a dig, just trying to understand the extent of an inspection, and if it was external, or based on a strip-down. because, disregarding the fuelling, both engines are exactly the same - the block, pistons, crank, rods etc are all interchangeable. Fuel systems are less so.

Automatic transmission is a different topic, but again, auto's are generally not anywhere as reliable as the manual, which is pretty much maintainance-free. This applies to virtually all makes of car, not just VAG (Volkswagen).
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by obojo(m): 12:47am On Jun 07, 2010
oh u are not even in Nigeria, so i guess the cars you are talking about are not in Nigeria too, so they dont qualify,  the car being sold was used in Nigeria and being sold in Nigeria and as we dont have the kind of  mechanics abroad here, its a problematic car to be  used in Nigeria end of story,   Is it someone that is buying a car for 400k that will now be carrying it to diagnostic mechanics to diagnose it for 15k to 20k every time, or carrying it to  company that will charge between 50k and 100k for minor faults, its simply not worth it, i will be convinced when i see a mk 4 Volkswagen that was brought brand new here and the mileage is currently over 300,000 without major problems, till then, pigs remain on the ground where they belong,

i sold my car when the oil pump failed me on 3rd mainland bridge at about 11pm, i had to manage it home like that and by the time i was home, (just from 3rd mainland to ikoyi) my engine sound was 5times louder than my generator, i never even knew cars had an oil pump before then and i have never even heard anybody mention that kind of problem since then, enough was enough @ dat point, i am not trying to discourage anybody from these cars, just recounting my experiences,
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 07, 2010
obojo:

oh u are not even in Nigeria,  so i guess the cars you are talking about are not in Nigeria too,  so they dont qualify,   the car being sold was used in Nigeria and being sold in Nigeria and as we dont have the kind of  mechanics abroad here,  its a problematic car to be  used in Nigeria end of story,    Is it someone that is buying a car for 400k that will now be carrying it to diagnostic mechanics to diagnose it for 15k to 20k every time,  or carrying it to  company that will charge between 50k and 100k for minor faults,  its simply not worth it, 

The emboldened part above confirms what I've been saying all along - it's the fault of dodgy Nigerian mechanics, not the car. The Bora's used in Britain and Nigeria have the same engines, so all I've said does apply. Simply put, Nigeria has problematic "mechanics".

A car that costs 400k with OBD facility will still be subject to the same charges as per pulling codes. If you get your mechanics wrong, any car you take to them for repairs / servicing will not respond the way you expect.

Get a good mechanic, and any car you take in, from a simple I4 Toyota Camry to a V8 Audi Q7 will be treated with respect and knowledge, simple. It's when owners of exotic cars choose to scrimp on repairs - i.e using roadside tinkerers that problems arise, then they cry foul.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by lexluthor2(m): 12:28am On Jun 10, 2010
Siena:

Gotya. The short life span of the engine doesn't stem from the fact it's been converted to carburettor. It's probably the way it was maintained. Bora engines are all multi-point injection. It would be best to get it back to the original fuel system, it'll do wonders for performance, as well as resale value.

The VW Bora's a good solid car, and will cover well over 300,000 miles if properly looked after.
@ siean.i got an offer from a friend who wants to travel and sell off his jetta 2001 which is the  identical body type to the bora,am not sure about the parts if they are the same.he parked it due to gear issues like a yr ago cause the mechanic told him it would cost about 300k to change.he lerra got anoda car n forgot about the vw jetta.so i asked if he would let me have it for a fee and he obliged me but its been parked for so long and am afriad if rodent may have destroyed stuff in it but a mechanic suggested i change the 2.0 v5 engine to an IL4 vw vento manual caburetor tokunbo engine that it's what most peeps do and it has no issues.i have inquired on cost for the gear and it about 100k and the brain box also needs changing.please i need advice especially on the conversion matter to the caburetor version,if its okay or should it be an electric caburetor.thanks sir.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 10, 2010
lex-luthor:

@ siean.i got an offer from a friend who wants to travel and sell off his jetta 2001 which is the  identical body type to the bora,am not sure about the parts if they are the same.he parked it due to gear issues like a yr ago cause the mechanic told him it would cost about 300k to change.he lerra got anoda car n forgot about the vw jetta.so i asked if he would let me have it for a fee and he obliged me but its been parked for so long and am afriad if rodent may have destroyed stuff in it but it so a mechanic suggested i change the 2.0 v5 engine to an IL4 vw vento manual caburetor tokunbo engine that it's what most peeps do and it has no issues.i have inquired on cost for the gear and it about 100k and the brain box also needs changing.please i need advice especially on the conversion matter to the caburetor version,if its okay or should it be an electric caburetor.thanks sir.

2,0L V5? If it's a 5 cylinder (I5) then it'll be a 2,3L. If you mean 5V (5 valves per cylinder) then it'll be a 1,8L 20V 4 cylinder (I4).

The Jetta and Bora are the same car - it's only called "Jetta" in North America and Canada. Elsewhere, it was badged as "Bora".

Either way, the original engine should be left alone. I fail to understand why Nigerian mechanics prefer to create problems where none existed to begin with? If the current engine's fine, why down grade it to an engine that's been obsolete since 1997??  If your mechanic's worried about his inability to cope with a modern engine (which means he'll lose you as a customer) then my advice will be to go elsewhere.

It's high time our Nigerian mechanics moved on with the times, and stopped ruining perfectly decent cars.

If the auto transmission's faulty (I presume it's auto, as manuals don't go wrong) then by all means, go ahead and get a reconditioned one, or at the very least, a known good used one. As per the ECU, what exactly is wrong with it? I only ask, as ECU's are often the most reliable parts of any car, they will however not tolerate being messed about with by someone who doesn't know one end of a spanner from the other.

The length of time your Jetta's been laid up won't have any adverse effect on the car - of course, if rats have built nests within, the electrics could well be in a sorry state.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by John3161(m): 9:20am On Jun 11, 2010
Hi folks,
I was introduced by a colleague to his friend that need to dispose his Bora. It's got manual tranny. looks exacly like this one and has 1.6 embeded on it. Would inspect it tomorrow and perhaps pay for it if satisfied. The exteriolr looks fine when I checked last night but l was not able to test drive nor access the engine. Would possibly do that tomorrow morning.

A general look at the car will tell you that it's been used in Nija for so long. The only thing that beats my imagination is why the owner is selling for just 200k. I guess he's having similar problems explained here by Nija users and need to get rid of it. I dont know how reliable the car is but if additional 100k can put it in  good shape, I wont have any regret buying.

Can someone please advice me on what to watch out for in this car before I go ahead to buy.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by lexluthor2(m): 3:16pm On Jun 11, 2010
thanks sir.the badge on the trunk reads jetta 2.0 and its an IL5 engine.the body is still in good condition but the ecu is damaged due to effect from lousy mechanics.they said the engine is okay but thye gear and ecu are the problem.another thing,since the jetta is a mid size saloon car,the steering does not tilt up high so my legs rub against it cause am tall.some one suggested i ask a panel beater to adjust the seat rail  it so it can fit since its a manual adjustment,i hope it's not a bad idea.the car used to move before but the problem was whenever you get over a road bump,it would loosen up an drive real slow so the mechanic said a clamp was broken under the car that secures the gear.i asked if we could get a new gear case and tranfer the components since that was the only wahala but he said we have to buy another one so i did not argue with him.it's a sweet looking car and i love it so i hope am not leaping into a pot of boiling water.thanks siena,looking forward to read your reply on this.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 12, 2010
I'm still a bit stumped - if your car's a 2,0L, it'll be an I4 (inline 4) 8 valve. All the I5's (inline 5) are 2,3L 20V. Unless the car's already fallen into the hands on an unscrupulous Nigerian mechanic, something's wrong. undecided

As per modifying the seat, I don't think that's a good idea. The seat's are safety features, I dread to think what would happen if it broke free on the move. The front seats are height adjustable, so if that's broken, then replace at least the driver's side one with a known good used one.

I'm still not clear on your transmission - is it manual or auto?
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by lexluthor2(m): 8:28pm On Jun 12, 2010
Siena:

I'm still a bit stumped - if your car's a 2,0L, it'll be an I4 (inline 4) 8 valve. All the I5's (inline 5) are 2,3L 20V. Unless the car's already fallen into the hands on an unscrupulous Nigerian mechanic, something's wrong. undecided

As per modifying the seat, I don't think that's a good idea. The seat's are safety features, I dread to think what would happen if it broke free on the move. The front seats are height adjustable, so if that's broken, then replace at least the driver's side one with a known good used one.

I'm still not clear on your transmission - is it manual or auto?
your very right sir.its an IL4,my mistake.the mechanic said the last time he checked that the engine was in good condition cause it was towed to his workshop and he had not  driven it at all since then.the gear is automatic and the mechanic said transfering componets is tricky cause a lot of electrical stuff that may get damaged so it may turn out to be a drain to the pocket.about the seat,it really bugs me cause my current car i have the same problem but the steering clearance is a lot better than the jetta so the wheel tends to make my jeans dirty when it rub on it even with the height adjusted so it a biggie for me but not a turn off.i can seat in it but when driving i will have to keep my llegsapart all the time n its kind of uncomfortable.please advice.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 12, 2010
Okay, got you.

I'd find a second hand driver's seat. They're height adjustable as standard.
Re: 2001 Vw Bora For Sale @ 400,000k (Last) by John3161(m): 8:17am On Jun 25, 2010
John 3:16:

Hi folks,
I was introduced by a colleague to his friend that need to dispose his Bora. It's got manual tranny. looks exacly like this one and has 1.6 embeded on it. Would inspect it tomorrow and perhaps pay for it if satisfied. The exteriolr looks fine when I checked last night but l was not able to test drive nor access the engine. Would possibly do that tomorrow morning.

A general look at the car will tell you that it's been used in Nija for so long. The only thing that beats my imagination is why the owner is selling for just 200k. I guess he's having similar problems explained here by Nija users and need to get rid of it. I dont know how reliable the car is but if additional 100k can put it in  good shape, I wont have any regret buying.

Can someone please advice me on what to watch out for in this car before I go ahead to buy.

Thank God I did not allow Nija Mechanics from discouraging me in buying this car. Every mechs you ask will tell you to stay off Bora. I only spent 85k to pim-p the ride and do some maintenance. This is the first German car I've used and I'm impressed with the performance. Sound engine, smooth acceleration, solid sound system. I'm definintely going to keep it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2008 BMW 528i (Class: Upscale - Luxury, Color: Champagne) / Tokunbo 2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab : Price: N2.3m / Clearing Agent(adexfem) Cleared & Delivered Car Within 72hrs. U 2 Gbaski!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.