Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,384 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS (8849 Views)

2013 JAMB CUT-OFF: List Of Universities And Their Jamb/post-utme Cut Off Marks / List Of Schools & Their 2012/2013 UTME Cut-off Marks / Uniport 2010/2011 Post Utme Cut-off Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Raylight2(m): 11:07am On Jun 02, 2010
UNIVERSITIES - 200 and above
POLY - 180 - 199
COLLEGE - 150 - 179

The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB) did not leave candidates who wrote the 2010 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) on Saturday, April 17, in suspense for long about their performance. In one week, 93.6 per cent of the 1,375,652 candidates who sat for the examination across the country had their results released on the JAMB website; and from their grades they already know whether they can get into the university, polytechnic and allied institutions or college of education.

From the statistics announced by the JAMB Registrar, Prof Dibu Ojerinde, a fortnight ago, while releasing the results, 41 per cent of the candidates scored 200 and above, which qualifies them to compete for spaces in the 104 public and private universities nationwide.

Another 27 per cent (330,971) made between 180 and 199 while those with less than 180 and the 48,188 whose results were withheld make up the remaining 42 per cent.

Like in previous years, the preference for university education is high – indicating that it would take some time before the Federal Ministry of Education (FME) succeeds in getting students to apply to polytechnics and colleges of education.

The Education Sector Roadmap produced during Dr Sam Egwu’s tenure as Education Minister last year stated that only 150,000 of about one million are admitted yearly. This figure, compared to the 501,463 candidates who parade the requisite scores, means that not up to half of them would be admitted.

Last Thursday, a group of aggrieved candidates – all girls – who did not score up to 200 gathered in front of Uncle Steve Tutorial College around Jumofak Bus stop, Ikorodu, Lagos State, to beat up a young girl. They ignored calls by people around that she was not the one they were looking for.

The girls, numbering about 10, knew she was not but transferred the agression they had for ‘Uncle Steve’, the proprietor of the tutorial centre, because he was nowhere to be found.

The Nation

gathered that ‘Uncle Steve’ had charged each of them N20,000 to text answers to them in the examination hall. He did as promised, but sent the wrong answers and many scored less than 100 in the examination – thus, putting paid to their hope for university admission this year.

One of the girls, who reluctantly spoke to The Nation, said she had learnt the hard way.

"I know it was not the right thing to do. We were desperate, but he shouldn’t have duped us. I have learnt my lesson the hard way. There is no shortcut to success and so I have to sit at home till next year," she said.

Those girls are not the only ones who say it is the university or nothing.

Otukpo Bassey (not real names), whose result was not released, told The Nation that he does not have a choice than to sit at home.

"There is no option of the polytechnic or even the college of education for me," he said.

Another candidate who had 140 is in the same camp with Bassey.

"I am not going to any polytechnic, I will wait until when I make at least 200 in JAMB. This is my third time of writing this exam," he said.

When asked the reason for his preference, he said it was because of the B.Sc/ HND discrimination in the labour market.

Just one mark edged Daniel Abimbola (not real names) out of the minimum score required by universities in the South-West. However, despite scoring 199, Abimbola, who applied to the Lagos State University holds tenaciously to his belief that he can still wobble his way into a university.

Abimbola’s desperation was revealed by his elder brother who told our reporter how his younger brother has been frequenting LASU with the hope that he would get in, despite that he can be admitted into the polytechnic with that score.

"Polytechnic?" the elder Abimbola asked incredulously. "He had said severally that it’s only the university or nothing else."

A parent, Mr. Taiwo Akinsanya, whose daughter scored 164, insisted that she must go to the university at all costs.

"There is no way I am going to allow my daughter go anywhere apart from the university. She will rewrite the JAMB," he said.

However, some candidates who spoke to The Nation are realistic and have indicated their willingness to resume at any polytechnic that offers them admission. But this willingness does not extend to colleges of education.

Moses Tobi chose the University of Lagos and LASU to study Computer Science. With a score of 224, he hopes he gets admitted. Nevertheless, if he does not, he has resolved to pursue the programme at the Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) or the Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH). But a college of education does not feature in his agenda.

"I am willing to go to the polytechnic. I am not worried about discrimination. The only thing I don’t want is college of education. I don’t like their system of education," he said.

Sole Adegeye, 21, a resident of Ojo town in Lagos, scored 125, which makes him eligible for admission into a college of education. But, even at that, Adegeye insisted he would rather sit for another examination next year than opting for a teaching career.

"What will I do at the college of education? I just filled it (JAMB form) because they said we must fill two colleges of education. I never prayed to be a teacher all my life. So, I’ll rather sit for another JAMB next year," Adegeye said.

Some candidates said they would take up admission in polytechnics and take another shot at universities next year, while others said they would do part-time programmes in universities.

Adedayo Johnson, who wrote his exam at UNILORIN Secondary School, Kwara State, scored 186. He said he would rather pursue his education in the polytechnic than waiting till next year doing nothing. For him, he would not waste the opportunity as he is not getting younger.

"I will be deceiving myself by waiting till next year to take another shot at UTME, considering that I painfully wrote WAEC five times and this is my first opportunity into the higher institution. I just can’t jeopardise it even if it’s not what I wanted."

Some parents are willing to allow their children stay at home for one year instead of going to the polytechnic or college of education.

Mrs Omobhude feels differently. She said her son who scored 175 in JAMB would be allowed to pursue his career in the polytechnic rather than seating at home and wasting one year.

"Based on his performance for the first year, he may be allowed to write JAMB again so as to enter the university."

Another candidate, Shema Sheriff who had 170, said he had accepted his fate and would take whatever he is given.

"It is so painful that I could not make at least 200 to qualify for the university. I had 170 but I will take whatever I am given because I do not want to sit at home for another year. After all, the university is not the only tertiary institution," he said.

Asabor Ernestina, another candidate who scored 156 and wrote her UTME at Ikolaba High School Senior ,Agodi GRA, Ibadan, Oyo State, said she would rather purchase part-time form than writing for the exam next year.

"I won’t use the UTME score as it won’t be an easy task going through the stress again. It would be a waste of time, energy and money."

Mrs. Awhana Lilian, the principal of Fidel-Madonna International College, Iba, Lagos, said she would advise candidates who did not pass to invest their time in vocational training as it would help them become useful to themselves and the society.

"Any pupil who did not meet the cut-off mark for entry into the university, should go back to school, prepare better for the next exam; and that’s if they are really interested in getting admitted into the university. Honestly, as a parent, I would rather they proceeded into available institutions because this is the first of its kind and it will be insensitive of any parent to allow their child go through the waiting again. It wouldn’t be bad if they learn fashion design, plumbing, carpentry and the like.

Speaking on candidates’ preference for the university, National Public Relations Officer, College of Education Academic Staff Union (COEASU), Mr Femi Keshinro, said it is a natural tendency for a country like Nigeria which places so much emphasis on certificates rather than competence. He argued that polytechnics, colleges of education and universities are created for a purpose while students who attended them are to use the knowledge acquired to better the society.

"It is very natural that since our education system places so much priority on certificate, everybody wants to go to university. We give more regard to mere certificates and not merits. Universities, polytechnics and colleges of education and students who attend them do so for a purpose, but the purpose has been defeated in this country."

Keshinro called on the government to ensure proper guidance and counselling for pupils before they proceed to higher institutions.

Corroborating Keshinro, the Provost, Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Otto/Ijanikin, Lagos, Mr Akeem Ajose-Adeogun, blamed policy makers for the development.

Adeogun said policy makers have defaulted in laying emphasis on middle level manpower, hence creating a mindset among fresh school leavers that the apex of their career lies in the university.

"I must say something is fundamentally wrong with our system. Pupils coming from secondary schools have already cultivated the mindset that university is the main thing and nothing else. This is why if you ask any child today where he hopes to securie admission, he will tell you it is the university even though such child may not be cut out for it. The policy makers have no clear-cut policy on education."

Ajose-Adeogun equally blamed parents for insisting their wards must attend university describing such action as misleading especially for their wards who may not be naturally earmarked for university education.

Though hopeful, Ajose-Adeogun, suggested that the UTME be suspended for now until all admissions are concluded to ascertain if the new structure is capable of realising its purpose.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Skmoda360(m): 8:51pm On Jun 02, 2010
So what are you insinuating nw.is it that post utme gonna stay.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Raylight2(m): 9:39am On Jun 03, 2010
@Skmoda there is post utme because the bodies the reps ask to ensure that the putme does not hold turned down the request of the reps. That is already settled as no body agreed. If NUC had agreed with the reps that means no post but since reverse is the case. Let's all get prepared for it and its UNIVERSITIES - 200 and above POLY - 180 - 199 College 120 - 179.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Skmoda360(m): 12:03pm On Jun 03, 2010
You av link 4 this cut off marks.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Raylight2(m): 12:16pm On Jun 03, 2010
Another 27 per cent (330,971) made between 180 and 199 while those with less than 180 and the 48,188 whose results were withheld make up the remaining 42 per cent.

search the above sentence using google search and get the details from the nations newspaper. Are you okey?
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by EMMYD01(m): 6:53pm On Jun 03, 2010
Pls house jamb has not annouce d officia cutoff mark 4 d year, people are just guessing, pls be patient and let them announce it officially
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Raylight2(m): 8:11am On Jun 04, 2010
NUC director said those that scored 200 and above should go to uni and those that scored below 200 poly and college.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by myke1759(m): 8:48am On Jun 04, 2010
raylight1, ur source n the link pls ?
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by winpecheux: 9:42am On Jun 04, 2010
NOTICE! NOTICE!! NOTICE!!!
WAO! Something new has come to stay.
guess what? with IJMB your prolong admission problem into the university with jamb has been solved.
IJMB(interim joint matriculation board) is an eigth months 'A' level program which will qualify you authomatically to be admitted into 200 level at university of ilorin,zaria and any other Nigerian federal universities without any stress and delay.
Cost very affordable.
don't miss out these wonderful opportunity quickly contact 08063078904,07066912043 for more information.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by winpecheux: 9:48am On Jun 04, 2010
NOTICE! NOTICE!! NOTICE!!!
WAO! Something new has come to stay.
guess what? with IJMB your prolong admission problem into the university with jamb has been solved.
IJMB(interim joint matriculation board) is an eigth months 'A' level program which will qualify you authomatically to be admitted into 200 level at university of ilorin,zaria and any other Nigerian federal universities without any stress and delay.
Cost very affordable.
don't miss out these wonderful opportunity quickly contact 08063078904,07066912043 for more information.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by myke1759(m): 12:31pm On Jun 04, 2010
wenpeck, do you think u can fool people here.ole, crook, scammer, mshwwww!!!!!
oloshi!
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Skmoda360(m): 7:10am On Jun 05, 2010
Winpecheux,GOD go punish u,idiot,poo and foolish scammer who think we are fool like him.who u be self,
Go repent or ease u will end up in hell-fire.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by bighead1(m): 12:53pm On Jun 06, 2010
what is your source
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Marhoski(m): 5:52pm On Jun 06, 2010
beware of winchpec o, scammers dey find preys wink
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by ndulincon: 7:49pm On Jun 07, 2010
pls i need u to update me,on the latest news about the post ume,and let me know when the FUTO owerri will be taking their post ume.pls i need to know because right now am in lagos and i really need to know what is going on there.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by Raylight2(m): 9:07am On Jun 08, 2010
One of AAUA lecturers said the cut-off for uni is 200 poly 180 and college 150.
Re: GET THE UTME CUT-OFF MARKS by ibrocateng(m): 10:32am On Jun 08, 2010
someone to update me:

UNilag post ume, plz

Uni ilorin post ume

Unilag DE,

OAU DE,

shocked sad grin

(1) (Reply)

Original Jamb Result / Apply For Seplat Energy Undergraduate Scholarships. Nigerians Only / Very Disturbing Photos - Students Heads Cut Off As Cultist Clash In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.