Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,919 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha (573 Views)

"Captain Jack": A Val Story Written By John Mfon / Why I Can't Love Again (A Short Story) : Written By Umoren Elisha / I AND Marcel(gay Story , Written By Chidera Chokolate) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha by hfinest1(m): 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
ABOUT THE STORY
After being diagnosed with HIV, Bassey Effiong gives up on life and decides to take matters into his hands. Frustrated and dejected after being abandoned by his fiancee, friends and even some family, he decides to take his life. When the truth later unfolds, regrets, sorrow, sadness becomes the order of the day. Enjoy in this captivating, thrilling, suspense filled story titled 'STING'.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED!!!
This work is a property of the author and should not be rewritten or reproduced in whole or in parts, or in any form electronic or otherwise without the prior written permission of the author, Umoren Elisha.
Contact the author on umorenelisha@gmail.com

DISCLAIMER!!!
This story is purely a fragment of the writer's imagination and any resemblance of character or event to any persons (dead or alive) or any event (past or present) is merely a coincidence and should be completely disregarded. Thank you.

ATTENTION!!!
The story would be told from first person narrative point of view, and would be narrated by two persons, 'Effiong' and 'Okon'. The name in all caps at the beginning of a narration indicated that narration is being told from that person's point of view. Thanks for reading.

©ElishaWrites2017 (elishawrites..com)
Re: Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha by hfinest1(m): 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2018
the story will start fully later tonight... Feel free to check my blog for cool stories and poems and loads of interesting stuffs you'd love �
Re: Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha by hfinest1(m): 2:47pm On Jun 13, 2018
-1-
EFFIONG
I sat dejectedly on the very comfortable sofa office chair which had suddenly turned too hot to bear and very uncomfortable, staring blankly at the piece of paper in my hand. I ran my eyes from the from the paper to the face seated before me. My eyes ran all over the paper, then to the man talking in front of me, trying to pay attention to what he was saying, but I wasn't hearing a word he was saying. He was putting on a white overall and had a pair of cheesy and real cute eyes behind a big round pair of ancient looking spectacles. A stethoscope hung loosely around his neck.
"I'm sorry Mr. Bassey, but you know, it's not the end of the world. We have a body you could join here in this hospital which could help you go through the trauma successfully and even live longer than normally expected. On your way out, just ask the nurse on duty how you can get a card to join the PLWHA group. I'm sorry once again Mr. Effiong Bassey. Just try and encourage yourself and remember it's not the end of the world" The doctor concluded, leaving me still and speechlessly staring at the test result in my hand. My hands were visibly shaking by then, and as much as I trued not to believe it, I couldn't help but do. The result said it all. Tears had welled up in my eyes, but I kept my fist and teeth clenched to stop the tears from streaming down my eyes.
I stood and walked dejectedly out of the doctor's office, into the waiting eyes and ears of my fiancee at the hospital's reception.
My name is Bassey Effiong Paul, and I had just been diagnosed of HIV.
Re: Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha by hfinest1(m): 5:18am On Jun 15, 2018
-2-

OKON
My name is Bassey OKon Peter, and I just found ou5that my brother, Effiong had just been diagnosed with one of, if not the world's deadliest and most feared disease; Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV.
He came home looking dejected and downcast and when I inquired why he was looking so sad, he handed me an envelope. 'JONAS MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIC LABORATORY' was boldly written at the top of the paper embedded in the envelope. Many tests were listed in the paper ranging from PCV to MP/Widal to Urinalysis, but the box that was ticked was the box behind 'HIV test' and positive was written right beside it. I stared wide-eyed at the sheet of paper in my shaky hands, not believing my own eyes. Maybe they were playing a trick on me, maybe not. I blinked rapidly to be sure I was seeing clearly and fully awake.
'How could he be HIV positive?'
'Effiong of all people? He's not as promiscuous as I am... In fact, he's not even promiscuous at all'
'He's the one woman kind of guy, and the woman he's seeing now, I'm sure they've not even started having sex. Saving it for after the wedding'
'Jeez! How could this be?'
Those were the thoughts running through my mind as I stared from the paper to Effiong. I examined the paper closely, checking for a mistake somewhere. Maybe in the spelling of the name. Hoping it was a mistake and my brother wasn't HIV positive. Unfortunately, the name was written boldly in all caps at the column for name 'Bassey Effiong P.'.
"Does Lilian know?" I asked the dull looking Effiong whom I didn't know anymore.
"Yes, we went to the hospital together, but she's negative and I'm..." He broke down into tears without finishing his statement.
I moved closer to him and gave him a bear hug, placing his head on my shoulder and patting his hair and trying to console him and tell him that all will be well and I'd always be there for him no matter what, but that didn't stop him from shedding more uncontrollable tears.
[To be continued...]

1 Like

Re: Sting (a Short Story) Written By Umoren Elisha by hfinest1(m): 9:13pm On Jun 20, 2018
- 3 -
EFFIONG
I layedin my bed that hot sunny afternoon, watching the fan in my room spin slowly. Lots of thought running through my mind. My fiancee left me that same day, right at the hospital and said to never call her again, claiming I was already sleeping around even before we get married and wondering what I'd do if we eventually get married. She called me a liar, a cheating bastard, many mean names, and said I should take my hub infected body far away from her and never try to reach her ever again. I would feed why all of these would happen to me a month to my wedding. The wedding had been fixed and arrangements had started being put in place, then this!
Just as they say 'bad news spread like wild fire burning in a dried up bush', the news of my unfortunate demise had spread so quick. Soon enough, almost everyone in the neighbourhood I stayed had heard and they deserted me and acted like I was cursed. Even warned their children never to come near me. Those whom I referred to as 'friends' had deserted me too. Even some people I called family. They all didn't want to have anything to do with an HIV patient. So, they all left me to die soon, but one person who stood by my side the whole time was elder brother, OKon. He was so supporting and would get me whatever I wanted as sick as he could.
He was always trying to assure me that everything will be alright and that I wasn't going to die soon as he would always be there to do whatever it takes to make sure I get better and live as long as I wish, but I knew all those were just fantasies, and I was doomed to die soon.
Each time thoughts of suicide crossed my mind, I would consider my brother and how much it would hurt him if I died and that would send away the thoughts of suicide immediately.
I kept seeing pictures of Lilian on social media, and surprisingly, she had moved on within few days. She uploaded photos flaunting her new boyfriend, and even uploaded pictures and videos where he proposed to her and she happily said yes.
Partially, I was happy for her and at the same time, I felt hurt and betrayed. Though I k we it wasn't her fault. I mean, who wants to end up married to an HIV positive dude and maybe eventually Co tact the disease too, and then pass it on to their child. Though I still felt betrayed with how quickly she left me in my time of diestess. What true love indeed!
Each passing day only reminded me of how miserable my life was and made me feel closer to the grave, even though there were no outward sign of any infection of any sort, but my mind had already been tuned to death anytime soon.
Psychology could be such a b*tch though!
I had started thinking of suicide more often than normal, and that afternoon, the urge to take my life was so strong in my mind. The fan had stopped rolling, as the power holding authorities had done what they're best at doing. Frustration, depression, dejection ran through my mind and the need to take my life quick overwhelmed to need to live on.
I got a wrapper and tore a piece of it from top to down straight so I was like a rope. I made sure the wrapper was strong enough for shay I needed to do. I took in one last very deep breath, and braces myself, as I whispered "just do it!" to myself, and I was ready. I stared at the fan and gave the room one last look, before fetching a table and climbing unto the table. It was time!

(1) (Reply)

Developing Your Self-worth / This Madness / Novel - Bitter Perceptions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.