Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,703 members, 7,820,457 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Same As Genotype: Is There A Way Out - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Same As Genotype: Is There A Way Out (1222 Views)

Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS / Can An "AC" Blood Genotype Go With an "AS" Genotype? / Can Two People With AS Genotype Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Same As Genotype: Is There A Way Out by orgy: 11:17am On Jun 03, 2010
Hi guys,

My good friends and her partner both discorvered that they are of the same genotype; AS, just after making arrangements for their marriage. my friend's 1st test while in school showed AA, but resently after some series of test, she was confirmed AS. She has been informed that there is a way (medically certified) of avoiding giving birth to a sickler (SS) if they evetually get married. But is this true?
I really need to advise her, please doctors in the house kindly assist.
Re: Same As Genotype: Is There A Way Out by jugz(f): 7:47pm On Jun 03, 2010
hi, i'm not a doctor or medical practitioner of any sort, but i work for an NGO dat spefically deals with people living with sickle cell anaemia disorder (SICKLE CELL ADVOCACY AND MANAGEMENT INITIATIVE). my boss has been living with sickle cell anaemia for over 40years, and i've learnt quite a lot from her.
This year marks 100 years of discovery of sickle cell anaemia, and There is still no cure or prevention of sickle cell medically. there are only drugs that can help the crisis, but there is no means of preventing the birth of an SS carrier when two AS carriers get married.
Re: Same As Genotype: Is There A Way Out by agathamari(f): 3:12am On Jun 05, 2010
if both are as then they have a 25% chance of a child with sickle, 50% of a carrier and 25% of a healthy baby. now if they plan on either having a "test tube baby" or selective abortion there is no way of preventing it.
Re: Same As Genotype: Is There A Way Out by olamydey(f): 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2010
Medically,there is no way to avoid conceiving a sickler but there is a a certified way of determining the blood group of a foetus and terminating the pregnancy. there is a test to determine the babys genotype as early as 3mths, , if the foetus is s.s, then a d&c will be carried out on the mother.

(1) (Reply)

MERRY XMAS TO ALL / Is It Bad To Check The Gender Of An Unborn Baby? / Reserved Medicine Save My Sister's Life From Danger Of Asthma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.