Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That (1163 Views)

How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. / 3 Questions You Must Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Niche / Factors To Consider When Choosing A Host Service Provider. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by bros1234(m): 11:45am On Jun 03, 2010
Ok guys there is something I see as a trend in Nigerians. Why is almost every Nigerian website you see using naija this, naija that, naira this, naira that?

Personally I find that very disgusting and shortsightedness on most people. The www is a platform for reaching the global world, yet most of our so called e-preneurs limit themselves from the onset with the names they choose.

Ok, the essence of this thread is for everyone to suggest basic guidelines one should consider before chosing a name for his business - (online)

Your views are most welcome
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by shilling(f): 8:59am On Jun 05, 2010
I'm also tired of the Naija names.

I guess a basic rule is that a name should be catchy, not too long and not boring.
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by remoranger(m): 12:03pm On Jun 05, 2010
seconded
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by bros1234(m): 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2010
Ok then here we go.

I think the first basic rule is for one to know that his market is world wide. If you are thinking outside your locality it will help you in coming up with a good name. Problem is most of us forget that this is www and we keep crowding ourselves here to death with nai this and that

Secondly it pays to not be in a rush. Sometimes I spend quite a week to get a name. I recently registered a 5 letter domain name - which I solely want to dedicate to selling domain and hosting to the outside world. It took me a while before I made a choice.

Thirdly, There are tools one can use to get very short domain names- 5 letter, 6 letter, 7 letter 8 letter domains. Check out one of the best tools -bustaname.com. type anything and it will use it to form available names for u

More of my suggestions coming. Pls make your input
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by youngbobby(m): 4:00pm On Jun 06, 2010
Well, it depends on the value of content being served and to whom the content is served to. Some people decide that their sites are for Nigerians alone and that is why they append the name 'naija'.

Some are just being proud of their country afterall most people from different countries still use AOL which i must remind you means America Online!!!
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by lagoshost(m): 11:34pm On Jun 08, 2010
You are very right. I can see that it is hard to get names these days.

Everyone is going to naira this, 9ja that , and so on
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by larion: 9:22am On Jun 09, 2010
@ everybody, i'm just a baby webmaster (4oo level computer science student) & av 5 website 2 my archive, wit d issue of naija dis and dat, well i think sometimes having dat in your domain name gives a sense of belonging 2 nigerians, there are something dat u want to do 4 just nigerians only and i dont think its a bad idea considering how tight it is 2 get a .com domain name, i personally av www.naijavirtualmarket.com and i'm working on anoda. the other is same concepts but i had 2 split it into two, one for nigerians and d other 4 d world cos talkin about boating and cat training will b useless for nigerians, so i dont rili think av naija dis or dat is a bad idea only dat it is getting too much but wat do we do now considering d tightness in domain getting (fighting wit one now, all has been bought), scold mi if i dont make sense, in general naija bla bla gives nigerians a sense of belonging
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by DualCore1: 9:49am On Jun 09, 2010
IMHO the domain name isn't the problem, its the purpose of the domain name. Most of the naijaxxxx.com and nairaxxxx.com sites are wannabe forums that almost never have any useful purpose, still others are just scripts people just throw into their public_html and run with no real purpose. We still have the ones that are facebook wannabes. ,
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by showby: 11:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
I want to open a new internet forum for Nigerian audience. Please click here to help me suggest a name.
Re: Choosing A Name For Your Website-enough Of Naija This And That by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 06, 2013
showby: I want to open a new internet forum for Nigerian audience. Please click here to help me suggest a name.
I'll check and see if yours is any different but you can also visit www.ListMasta.com for your domain name.

(1) (Reply)

Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts / Opening Cpanel With Mtn/glo Connections / You Can Be Rich With Web Hosting Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.