Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr (1605 Views)

Victor Moses Reacts To Super Eagles 2-0 Loss To Croatia / Jim Beglin Reacts To Nigerian Loss To Croatia / 2018 World Cup: Why Musa, Iheanacho May Not Make My Squad – Rohr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Trendvoice: 8:18am On Jun 17, 2018
@NAIRATREND

Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Gernot Rohr, on Saturday said the team’s 0-2 loss to Croatia in their opening match of Russia 2018 was due to “many mistakes’’.

Rohr, while speaking at the post-match conference of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Group D fixture, said he and his players were aware they made some important mistakes during the game.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that in the match played in Kaliningrad, the Eagles lost through an own goal by Oghenekaro Etebo and a Luka Modric penalty kick.

“We know we made some mistakes, too many important mistakes, and it is clear that we need to get better in order to move on,’’ the coach said.

He said the entire team was disappointed at the result, adding that they needed to work on being professional with the set-pieces.

“Our organisation was good, that is clear just as the tactics were not wrong, but we need to be more professional in the way we take the set-pieces. We need to be better before our next game,’’ he added.

Rohr, who admitted that the loss had made their task more herculean, said team captain Mikel Obi’s performance in the game was satisfactory just as he equally praised the defenders.

“Mikel has since I took over always been playing the way we deployed him today, and this has yielded results for us.

“But, he couldn’t have done better than he did today, because of the quality of those he was playing against.

“He had Ivan Rakitic of FC Barcelona and Luka Modric of Real Madrid playing against him, and they are of good quality and playing for clubs bigger than that of Mikel who plays in China.

“So, he really did well,’’ he said.

On the 62nd minute substitution of Alex Iwobi, the coach said it was not done out of poor performance by the Arsenal FC player.

“Iwobi deserved his starting place, based on his performances in the last few days. He only had big work to do with the full back, and this took much out of him.

“However, he did well and I don’t think he shouldn’t have started the game,’’ he said.

Rohr, however, assured that he and his assistants would go on to ensure the team was improved upon before their June 22 date with Iceland in Volgograd.

“We will improve because it is important for us. We have to get better in order to move forward,’’ he said.

@NAIRATREND

SOURCE-
https://nairatrend.com.ng/world-cup-why-nigeria-lost-to-croatia-gernot-rohr/

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by naijaguy123456(m): 8:23am On Jun 17, 2018
Medicine after death.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Aliyeous(m): 8:28am On Jun 17, 2018
dont worry the next headline would read "why nigeria sack rohr"

2 Likes

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by obonujoker(m): 8:28am On Jun 17, 2018
Oga stop complaining.. let's prepare for the next match....

Uzoho

Ebuehi Troot Balogun Idowu

Mikel Ndidi

Iwobi

Iheanacho Moses

Ighalo

1 Like

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by oshe11: 8:32am On Jun 17, 2018
“He had Ivan Rakitic of FC Barcelona and Luka Modric of Real Madrid playing against him, and they are of good quality and playing for clubs bigger than that of Mikel who plays in China.

Can you Imagine?

So na now you know their club?
With such mentality, it means you already know they would lose na.....

Mumu talking about SET-PIECES like say na today we dey complain about that one too

IDIOT coach with silly excuses

1 Like

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 17, 2018
They performed very well I can't believe Super Eagle can play like that.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:45am On Jun 17, 2018
You guys should stop deceiving yourselves, we played well and were gunned down by luck, if Croatia put up that kind of performance against a hungry Argentina, they will be conceding 4 goals, how can a team of modric, rakitic, mandzukic and all the ic'es win us with an own goal and penalty that referees usually ignore the cause, Nigeria has to improve yes but if you think we are a poor team, wait for Argentina Vs Croatia....this one the Croatian coach is making mouth and saying they will not adjust their tactics against Argentina

3 Likes

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by victrick105: 8:46am On Jun 17, 2018
I still have to admit that the boys tried... it was just a pure case of luck been against them, just like Egypt.... Croatia, with the way they played will surely be roasted by Argentina and Iceland.... but to be sincere, I only see Argentina and Iceland topping that group and advancing to the next round, unless Nigeria wins there next two matches which for me is almost impossible
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by iamharkinwaley: 8:51am On Jun 17, 2018
This coach is clueless

Who is with me on this ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Trendvoice: 8:54am On Jun 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Uzoho

Mikel Ndidi

Iwobi

Iheanacho Moses

Ighalo
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Saintsquare(m): 9:26am On Jun 17, 2018
iamharkinwaley:
This coach is clueless

Who is with me on this ?
clueless is an understatement
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by sincere9ja: 9:31am On Jun 17, 2018
Why Nigeria Wont Qualify From Group Stage. Say Bye To Super Eagles. the lost to Croatia was simply a badluck it was not a good win.

Nigeria is the only team that lost in their group stage.

the formation was that for Nigeria to beat Croatia and then draw with Argentina. then beat Iceland that would give them 7 points.

but as it is now its only a miracle. Nigeria would need to win Argentina and Iceland. and Croatia will need to lose to Argentina and Iceland. for Nigeria to qualify which is not possible at all.

yesterday a Ghanaian in my back was almost crying saying Nigeria need to at least win this match to draw Argentina. before the Croatia score the scored goal then it was already too late as people started to go home.

say bye bye to super eagle and their Jersey. everything will come to rest about their fashion.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by ersonleads(m): 9:35am On Jun 17, 2018
We can only win our next match playing 352
Was thinking he was gonna adapt to it in d second half. He should henceforth play omerou, ekong & balogun as 3 @ d back. Ndidi Mikel & iwobi @ d midfield (iwobi as ten, Mikel should support ndidi at blocking 4 to protect d back 3). Y ebuehi plays right wing back & moses plays left wing back. Nwankwo & iheanacho should play alternately upfront like dey did against Argentina in d friendly.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Trendvoice: 10:07am On Jun 17, 2018
sincere9ja:
Why Nigeria Wont Qualify From Group Stage. Say Bye To Super Eagles. the lost to Croatia was simply a badluck it was not a good win.

Nigeria is the only team that lost in their group stage.

the formation was that for Nigeria to beat Croatia and then draw with Argentina. then beat Iceland that would give them 7 points.

but as it is now its only a miracle. Nigeria would need to win Argentina and Iceland. and Croatia will need to lose to Argentina and Iceland. for Nigeria to qualify which is not possible at all.

yesterday a Ghanaian in my back was almost crying saying Nigeria need to at least win this match to draw Argentina. before the Croatia score the scored goal then it was already too late as people started to go home.

say bye bye to super eagle and their Jersey. everything will come to rest about their fashion.

Cc; lalasticlala
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by resurgent2019: 10:13am On Jun 17, 2018
victrick105:
I still have to admit that the boys tried... it was just a pure case of luck been against them, just like Egypt.... Croatia, with the way they played will surely be roasted by Argentina and Iceland.... but to be sincere, I only see Argentina and Iceland topping that group and advancing to the next round, unless Nigeria wins there next two matches which for me is almost impossible

How did they play well please. Because what I saw was an incoherent network, lacking any organization.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by sincere9ja: 10:34am On Jun 17, 2018
we all know the world is going to support Argentina against Nigeria. Argentina is the world favorite on our groups. chai
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Hhenryy: 11:28am On Jun 17, 2018
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Eligreat247: 11:50am On Jun 17, 2018
ersonleads:

Was thinking he was gonna adapt to it in d second half. He should henceforth play omerou, ekong & balogun as 3 @ d back. Ndidi Mikel & iwobi @ d midfield (iwobi as ten, Mikel should support ndidi at blocking 4 to protect d back 3). Y ebuehi plays right wing back & moses plays left wing back. Nwankwo & iheanacho should play alternately upfront like dey did against Argentina in d friendly.

my problem with Rohr is that he is too stiff necked for my liking
He doesn't want to change what he is already used to
How long will it take him to know that
352 is our ideal formation
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:03pm On Jun 17, 2018
Eligreat247:

my problem with Rohr is that he is too stiff necked for my liking
He doesn't want to change what he is already used to
How long will it take him to know that
352 is our ideal formation
I don't understand you guys and this 3-5-2 formation, can you play a 3 man back line against a 3 man attack? , will you even do that on ps3, we played well the only mistake we made was playing iwobi on the wing instead of Mikel's position, I still stand by my word, the Croats were lucky

1 Like

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by evy800(f): 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2018
As opposed to his usual tactic of always apportioning blame at least he accepted he made mistake so thats a good one
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by JSMMUYIWA(m): 2:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
ersonleads:

This is speaking my mind!
This is the perfect way out!
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by JSMMUYIWA(m): 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

I don't understand you guys and this 3-5-2 formation, can you play a 3 man back line against a 3 man attack? , will you even do that on ps3, we played well the only mistake we made was playing iwobi on the wing instead of Mikel's position, I still stand by my word, the Croats were lucky
Yes,Iwobi should take Mikel's position, And Iheanacho takes Iwobi position or at least replace Mikel as Attacking Midfielder to Support Ighalo.
Mikel wasn't creative enough.
Etebo and Ndidi remain protective DMFs.
Our main problem was the AMF,Iheanacho would have done that easily.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by JSMMUYIWA(m): 2:36pm On Jun 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Uzoho

Mikel Ndidi

Iwobi

Iheanacho Moses

Ighalo
What's Mikel doing there?
I prefer Etebo to Mikel considering his pace.
Aside that,that formation,looks so attacking and compact.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by obonujoker(m): 2:47pm On Jun 17, 2018
JSMMUYIWA:

What's Mikel doing there?
I prefer Etebo to Mikel considering his pace.
Aside that,that formation,looks so attacking and compact.

Lol... let's put Mikel as per senior man...
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by JSMMUYIWA(m): 2:57pm On Jun 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Lol... let's put Mikel as per senior man...
Yes true that,But as DM.Lobatan.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by obonujoker(m): 3:01pm On Jun 17, 2018
JSMMUYIWA:

Yes true that,But as DM.Lobatan.

Lol... Ndidi go be main DM....
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by JSMMUYIWA(m): 3:02pm On Jun 17, 2018
obonujoker:

Lol... Ndidi go be main DM....
Mikel supports him
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Trendvoice: 8:00pm On Jun 18, 2018
Trendvoice:
@NAIRATREND

Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Gernot Rohr, on Saturday said the team’s 0-2 loss to Croatia in their opening match of Russia 2018 was due to “many mistakes’’.

Rohr, while speaking at the post-match conference of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Group D fixture, said he and his players were aware they made some important mistakes during the game.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that in the match played in Kaliningrad, the Eagles lost through an own goal by Oghenekaro Etebo and a Luka Modric penalty kick.

“We know we made some mistakes, too many important mistakes, and it is clear that we need to get better in order to move on,’’ the coach said.

He said the entire team was disappointed at the result, adding that they needed to work on being professional with the set-pieces.

“Our organisation was good, that is clear just as the tactics were not wrong, but we need to be more professional in the way we take the set-pieces. We need to be better before our next game,’’ he added.

Rohr, who admitted that the loss had made their task more herculean, said team captain Mikel Obi’s performance in the game was satisfactory just as he equally praised the defenders.

“Mikel has since I took over always been playing the way we deployed him today, and this has yielded results for us.

“But, he couldn’t have done better than he did today, because of the quality of those he was playing against.

“So, he really did well,’’ he said.

On the 62nd minute substitution of Alex Iwobi, the coach said it was not done out of poor performance by the Arsenal FC player.

“Iwobi deserved his starting place, based on his performances in the last few days. He only had big work to do with the full back, and this took much out of him.

“However, he did well and I don’t think he shouldn’t have started the game,’’ he said.

Rohr, however, assured that he and his assistants would go on to ensure the team was improved upon before their June 22 date with Iceland in Volgograd.

“We will improve because it is important for us. We have to get better in order to move forward,’’ he said.

@NAIRATREND

SOURCE-
https://nairatrend.com.ng/world-cup-why-nigeria-lost-to-croatia-gernot-rohr/

(1) (Reply)

Farindokibettip Now On Nairaland / Sports Arbitrage Trading Very Possible In Nigeria / Best Apps For Streaming Live Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.