Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr (609 Views)

Victor Moses Reacts To Super Eagles 2-0 Loss To Croatia / Jim Beglin Reacts To Nigerian Loss To Croatia / 2018 World Cup: Why Musa, Iheanacho May Not Make My Squad – Rohr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by 1bunne4lif(m): 11:49am On Jun 17, 2018
Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Gernot Rohr, on Saturday said the team’s 0-2 loss to Croatia in their opening match of Russia 2018 was due to “many mistakes’’.
Rohr, while speaking at the post-match conference of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Group D fixture, said he and his players were aware they made some important mistakes during the game.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that in the match played in Kaliningrad, the Eagles lost through an own goal by Oghenekaro Etebo and a Luka Modric penalty kick.
“We know we made some mistakes, too many important mistakes, and it is clear that we need to get better in order to move on,’’ the coach said.
He said the entire team was disappointed at the result, adding that they needed to work on being professional with the set-pieces.
“Our organisation was good, that is clear just as the tactics were not wrong, but we need to be more professional in the way we take the set-pieces. We need to be better before our next game,’’ he added.
Rohr, who admitted that the loss had made their task more herculean, said team captain Mikel Obi’s performance in the game was satisfactory just as he equally praised the defenders.
“Mikel has since I took over always been playing the way we deployed him today, and this has yielded results for us.
“But, he couldn’t have done better than he did today, because of the quality of those he was playing against.
“He had Ivan Rakitic of FC Barcelona and Luka Modric of Real Madrid playing against him, and they are of good quality and playing for clubs bigger than that of Mikel who plays in China.
“So, he really did well,’’ he said.
On the 62nd minute substitution of Alex Iwobi, the coach said it was not done out of poor performance by the Arsenal FC player.
“Iwobi deserved his starting place, based on his performances in the last few days. He only had big work to do with the full back, and this took much out of him.
“However, he did well and I don’t think he shouldn’t have started the game,’’ he said.
Rohr, however, assured that he and his assistants would go on to ensure the team was improved upon before their June 22 date with Iceland in Volgograd.
“We will improve because it is important for us. We have to get better in order to move forward,’’ he said. (NAN)

© 2018 The Premium Times, Nigeria.

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by iamtardey: 11:53am On Jun 17, 2018
you sef don dey chop big big money... your head don empty
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by weyreypey: 11:58am On Jun 17, 2018
Well those guys did well
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Smellymouth: 11:58am On Jun 17, 2018
Change your tactics Mr Rohr..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by Smellymouth: 11:59am On Jun 17, 2018
I don’t think I have ever hugged my wife the way Ekong hugged Mandzukic..

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by 1bunne4lif(m): 12:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Smellymouth:
With all due respect, thunder blast you sir.
Too harsh, its not his fault
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by kinibigdil: 12:11pm On Jun 17, 2018
Smellymouth:
I don’t think I have ever hugged my wife the way Ekong hugged Mandzukic..
Very amateur defending by Ekong, the striker got the better of him 2 set plays so he got desperate.
I think, there is something wrong with players like; Iwobi, Ndid I think they are not happy and didn't play to the best of their ability, there is some respect for some players in the team, the younger players didn't play freely make their mistakes and play to the best of their ability, Mikel want to shine, Mose want to shine therefore trying to do too much, just like Jayjay noted at the supersport studio that the coach has to be confident to make bold changes, like Mikel coming from the bench next match. I want to believe the coach doesn't mean all he just said at the post match press conference

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by mars123(m): 12:25pm On Jun 17, 2018
This coach is not even average, he is poor. What excuse does he have for not choking the midfield and using two strikers upfront when we were a goal down? Why is Iwobi being played outwide when we dont have a creative midfielder with his passing abilities? Why do we start games so nervous? Why do Nigerians love to act tough when they are just a bunch of 200 million weaklings waiting on God to do everything for them?
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by mars123(m): 12:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
No wonder the millitary era were the best years of our football, there was discipline and organization then but now its a sad case of forgotten identity because we dont have one anymore. One somebori was calling Iceland a mighty country just now and i was looking at him like mumu...Its just a country with 10 percent of our population and zero oil. Nigeria is the biggest country in that group.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by ojun50(m): 1:02pm On Jun 17, 2018
like Mikel coming from the bench next match.

Hope u no drink garri talk this tin
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by bigtt76(f): 1:02pm On Jun 17, 2018
When we were against his move to China, you claimed it was the best move for him ....now you are yen yen yen grin

1bunne4lif:
Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Gernot Rohr, on Saturday said the team’s 0-2 loss to Croatia in their opening match of Russia 2018 was due to “many mistakes’’.
Rohr, while speaking at the post-match conference of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Group D fixture, said he and his players were aware they made some important mistakes during the game.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that in the match played in Kaliningrad, the Eagles lost through an own goal by Oghenekaro Etebo and a Luka Modric penalty kick.
“We know we made some mistakes, too many important mistakes, and it is clear that we need to get better in order to move on,’’ the coach said.
He said the entire team was disappointed at the result, adding that they needed to work on being professional with the set-pieces.
“Our organisation was good, that is clear just as the tactics were not wrong, but we need to be more professional in the way we take the set-pieces. We need to be better before our next game,’’ he added.
Rohr, who admitted that the loss had made their task more herculean, said team captain Mikel Obi’s performance in the game was satisfactory just as he equally praised the defenders.
“Mikel has since I took over always been playing the way we deployed him today, and this has yielded results for us.
“But, he couldn’t have done better than he did today, because of the quality of those he was playing against.
“He had Ivan Rakitic of FC Barcelona and Luka Modric of Real Madrid playing against him, and they are of good quality and playing for clubs bigger than that of Mikel who plays in China.
“So, he really did well,’’ he said.
On the 62nd minute substitution of Alex Iwobi, the coach said it was not done out of poor performance by the Arsenal FC player.
“Iwobi deserved his starting place, based on his performances in the last few days. He only had big work to do with the full back, and this took much out of him.
“However, he did well and I don’t think he shouldn’t have started the game,’’ he said.
Rohr, however, assured that he and his assistants would go on to ensure the team was improved upon before their June 22 date with Iceland in Volgograd.
“We will improve because it is important for us. We have to get better in order to move forward,’’ he said. (NAN)

© 2018 The Premium Times, Nigeria.
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by 1bunne4lif(m): 1:48pm On Jun 17, 2018
bigtt76:
When we were against his move to China, you claimed it was the best move for him ....now you are yen yen yen grin

are you a monitoring spirit?
Re: World Cup: Why Nigeria Lost To Croatia – Gernot Rohr by happen2: 2:15pm On Jun 17, 2018
mars123:
No wonder the millitary era were the best years of our football, there was discipline and organization then but now its a sad case of forgotten identity because we dont have one anymore. One somebori was calling Iceland a mighty country just now and i was looking at him like mumu...Its just a country with 10 percent of our population and zero oil. Nigeria is the biggest country in that group.

Maybe you meant 1%, Iceland no reach a million self

(1) (Reply)

Make Real Time Money While Seating At Home / Sure 30 Odds Join Us In Cashing Out This Weeken / In Form Stephen Odey Strikes Again, Scores 1st Europa League Goal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.