Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,006 members, 7,838,524 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

You'll Drive Home Crying - Lukaku Talks About Struggle With Poverty, Age, Racism - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / You'll Drive Home Crying - Lukaku Talks About Struggle With Poverty, Age, Racism (289 Views)

Michael Jordan Crying At Kobe Bryant's Memorial Service / 'i've Won 3 Trophies, What More Could I Do?' - Ronaldo Talks About Ballon D'or / Photo Of Diego Maradona Crying After Argentina Lost 3-0 To Croatia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You'll Drive Home Crying - Lukaku Talks About Struggle With Poverty, Age, Racism by Temtee11223344: 5:34pm On Jun 18, 2018
Many have questioned if Manchester United forward, Romelu Lukaku is really 25 years old as he claims but the striker has now revealed that he faced such questions even at the age of 11.

Lukaku revealed that he was questioned by an opponent's parent while he was still an 11-year-old playing for the Lièrse youth team.

"...one of the parents from the other team literally tried to stop me from going on the pitch. He was like, “How old is this kid? Where is his I.D.? Where is he from?”

"I thought, Where am I from? What? I was born in Antwerp. I’m from Belgium. My dad wasn’t there, because he didn’t have a car to drive to my away games. I was all alone, and I had to stand up for myself." Lukaku said.

Well, the parents certainly got the young Lukaku on fire that day as he thought to himself.

“Oh, I’m gonna kill your son even more now. I was already going to kill him, but now I’m gonna destroy him. You’re gonna drive the boy home crying now.”

Lukaku took to football knowing that it was the only way he could help his family overcome poverty. He could vividly remember adding water to a box of milk because they didn't have enough money to buy milk for another week.

The family was not just poor, they were broke. Lukaku couldn't watch any football match for years because the cable TV the family owned had to be sold during the trying period.

A 6-year-old Lukaku however made a promise to his mother that he was going to change the situation of the family.

“Mum, it’s gonna change. You’ll see. I’m going to play football for Anderlecht, and it’s going to happen soon. We’ll be good. You won’t have to worry anymore.”, he said.

However, he couldn't sign a professional contract until he was 16 so he made sure he was noticed even before 16 so as to ease the process. At the age of 12, he already had 76 goals in 34 games.

Read More Below

http://www.goalcountlive.com/romelu-lukaku-talks-about-struggle-with-poverty-age-issues-racism/

(1) (Reply)

RUSSIA 2018: Your Best Team Been So Far? / FIFA World Cup Oracle Cat Predicts Nigeria Victory In Nigeria Clash Today / Sports Betting Going Social ! Forget About Losing Money, No Deposit Required!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.