Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Boko Haram: UN Focus On Female Victims - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Boko Haram: UN Focus On Female Victims (274 Views)

14-Year-Old Zamfara Bandit, Sani Suleiman, Who Rapes Female Victims Arrested / Immigration Rescues Seven Female Victims Of Sex Trafficking En-Route Europe / Boko Haram: UN Condemns Damboa Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: UN Focus On Female Victims by Jamesssng(f): 8:13am On Jun 20, 2018
The United Nations, UN has focused on the plight of the girls’ victims of sexual violence and abuse by Boko Haram terrorists as it celebrates International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflicts.
UN has urged the Nigerian authorities to give more attention to protecting girls and children who were victims of sexual violence and abuse by the terrorists.
Ms Pramila Patten, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, stated this while briefing on the International Day.
Under this year’s theme, “The Plight and Rights of Children Born of War,” the Day encourages solidarity with the survivors who have endured multiple ordeals, in the wake of sexual violence.
A short video clip featured ‘Khadija’, who was kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists at Banki, Borno and impregnated, being tagged ‘Boko Haram wife’ and her baby, ‘Boko Haram son’ in the camp.
Patten said she met with the victim girls and children born out of rape arising from the sexual violence and abuse when she travelled to Maiduguri in 2017.
“I met with 200 young girls and there were 162 babies and I was really disturbed by the fact that these young girls and their babies were not only rejected by their families, by their communities but also by the very people they were living with inside the camp.
“And my visit to Maiduguri made me realise that more attention needs to be given. I think the focus really has to be on the rights.

NAN

(1) (Reply)

Plateau Attack: Herdsmen Kill Four In Kai Village / Nigeria: Swift Judgement And Inconclusive Investigations / Mikel Obi’s Father Rescued Hale And Hearty From Kidnappers By Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.