Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,443 members, 7,954,751 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:31 AM

What Legacy Are You Building? By Ndubuisi Precious Umebei - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Legacy Are You Building? By Ndubuisi Precious Umebei (349 Views)

Formal Education Is No Longer The Best Legacy / Ikenna Igwe Shares Horror Experiences In A Face-me-i-face-you Building / The Legacy(series 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Legacy Are You Building? By Ndubuisi Precious Umebei by UniqueNdy(m): 9:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
WHAT LEGACY ARE YOU BUILDING?

By Ndubuisi Precious Umebei, 13/05/2018.

Todd Brison stated thus, "Death and disease do not diminish who you are. They amplify who you are. In tragedy, words fall flat. Emotions remain. How do you make people feel?"

Leaving a legacy is an important part of our life's work. What will we be remembered for? Will posterity reverence us?

The spark for this write-up came from my visit to the school where I tutored as an auxiliary teacher for a year.

I joined Jesus International Technical School (a subsidiary of Jesus Abandoned Charity Organization Umuezopi Oraifite - A home that caters for young and aged abandoned, disabled, hopeless and forlorn individuals; here their hopes are restored.) because of my unwavering love for humanitarian services. It runs the free education system.

After a year of dedicated service and contribution to both the welfare of the students and people in the home, I had to leave due to circumstances beyond my control; I hated to leave, though.

The news of my departure was a shock to the students. A delegation was sent to plead I still stay in the school. I made them see reasons I should leave. Top on my list was to go further in my education. Thereafter, I had to battle with numerous phone calls and texts from my ex-students (they mostly used their mother's lines!). Fortunately, I was victorious.

Last week, I made out time amidst my tight schedules to visit. On my arrival, they were filled with inexpressible joy. "Master Nd", "Master Nd" echoed the four walls of the school.

Surprisingly, most of them thought I was back and they expressed how glad they were that I was back only to receive the disheartening news that it was only a visit.

Some students expressed how they really wanted me to come back. In the words of one of the students, "Your teaching is the most understood and enjoyed, please we need you back."

If I had led an unworthy life of carefree and nonchalant attitude, I doubt they would want to have me back as their teacher.

As a teacher, the goal was to impact knowledge into my students. I employed the usage of effective teaching and learning techniques that even the student considered as the dullest in class will find my teachings interesting. I believed my contributions enlightened the lives of my students. I made sure I impacted the over 200 lives I met in that school and in years to come, I doubt they would not attribute the very minimum part of their success story to me.

I could remember receiving a memo from a student that read thus, "You are the most caring, loving and understanding teacher I have ever met. I will never forget you in my life. Thank you for everything and God bless you."

Permit me to expose the need for leaving a great legacy behind by quoting three great fellows. Maya Angelou said and I quote, "Your legacy is every life you have touched." Shannon L. Alder stated, " Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you." And Ralp Waldo Emerson summed it up when he asserted, "The greatest gift is a portion of thyself."

Remark this: The most influential people on earth are those who leave indelible footprints in the sands of time, they are the ones who leave behind incredible legacies; they will live on in the hearts of the people they touch.

You there, what kind of legacy are you building? What message are you passing on to posterity? You have the power to change things for good. You are blessed with the ability to change someone's life; don't misuse it. Yes, you want the world to hear of you, but you have to start somewhere. In your family, place of work, school and community, what are you known for? Start small. Touch lives. You are unlimited.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

"BLACK MAN" An African's Colonization Story By Pedronule / We Watched Her Killed / You Too Can Become A Successful Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.