Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Lazy Nigerian Youths - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lazy Nigerian Youths (395 Views)

The Impact Of Social Media On Nigerian Youths: Positive And Negative Effects / A Poem Of Hope For Nigerian Youths / Poetry: Travails Of Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lazy Nigerian Youths by shevowinda(m): 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nigeria is a comedy zone. Even the Creator sometimes would laugh out loud seeing how funny we are and we would be.
Even in the midst of the hardship, the rise of dollar and the fall of naira, Mr president's inhumanity, and our leaders greed ; spiritual or religious and even to the political, we still are a happy people.
God bless the internet, for this is how the youths spend their lives, and to those who are weary or are heavy laden, they find solace on Facebook and others who are troubled find peace on Instagram.
From sex dolls to snake swallowing millions of naira, then to monkey swallowing extra amount of money. Then LAZY NIGERIA YOUTHS, we always have things trending. Charles Okocha is still reigning with his "I need some accolades"
I must confess I enjoy these things, even though I had to be silent on them. I go through news feed, I just read the headlines, go straight to the comments box, to see the funny comments LoL. Nigerians are comedians, from Buhari to Melaye.

Well, this article is just to look into the matter arisen by our "hard working" president. Who has spent 3 years sacking those who pose to be threat to his administration and called it "fighting corruption". And you would wonder how Mr Idris , tramsmissional I.G got to that position. It is a great transition, a transmissive transition.
That's for another day.

Few weeks ago LAZY NIGERIAN YOUTHS was the anthem. A lot of writers used their pen skill to refute the statement made by the "hard working" Mr President.
Our president they said was the jobless fellow who goes about running his mouth like a damaged tap.
This article is not to support Mr president, but to portray a point to let the Nigerian youths know that their future lies in their hands and not in the hands of the leaders.

Many Nigerian youths are jobless, quite a few are lazy. (Please I stand to be corrected).
But yet we have a major problem .

The toughest challenge employers are facing right now is where to locate 'the right' employees.
"We've been trying to hire three new staff for over a year. I've interviewed quite a ton of graduates of Law, Accounting and other Social Sciences, 99% of BSc Accounting holders are unable to use Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. The majority of Law graduates cannot write coherently and have no legal research experience outside of their final year projects. One graduate of English/Literature has not read any book outside of the recommended texts in school. 99% of job seekers have no writing sample, no published product or past work that is independently verifiable" lamented a CEO!

That means, Nigeria's biggest problem right now, isn't unemployment, but unemployability.
Sometimes, you meet a job seeker with a charming personality and you try to stretch the rules a bit. You request for his/her Facebook profile to get a sense of his/her interests, passions and extracurricula engagements. You only find posts about sex, sex, sex, sex, boyfriends, girlfriends, crushes, and more sex. What a turn off!
Well, I've got some news for you: You cannot sex your way to a prosperous future! You cannot sex your way to greatness. The CEOs of all Fortune500 companies have sex too! CEOs of WB, IMF, UN, CBN, AfDB etc. are all having sex too! The difference is that they spend their times productively and regard sex as a purely private activity.
If you have crossed the border control at Schipol Airport. You would notice that Self-service passport control machines have replaced hundreds of personnel that formerly handled that activity. Have you stayed in a multi-storey 5-star hotel where machines have replaced the need for human workforce?
So, in the nearest future, if you have no talent, skill, or knowledge of comparable standards to these artificially-intelligent machines providing high-quality services, you'd be left behind. Far behind! Your prospects of breaking the shackles of poverty and joblessness will get thinner.

See, myself I do not believe in sweating before eating. I will have to rephrase what I just said. I do not believe one must be half dead on strenuous jobs before he can feed. I believe in creativity! The ability to make use of your God given talents, inbuilt in you. Your ability to develop them through concentration and focus.
Please, invest in yourself. While waiting for that job, learn something new and develop your skills. Volunteer your services. Consider doing some unpaid work. Write more clearly. Read more. Reallocate the money you spend on expensive weaves and phones to prepare yourself for the future. That added value you bring can make you stand out from the crowd.

I would have written much from a deeper perspective, but a lot of people would say Hey Shevo what have you achieved? How can you motivate people when you do not have money. They get it all wrong. I do not spend my money on wears or food, I do not put things up on social media to show off...I spend my money on building myself, I pay to acquire knowledge. I am not talking about my bSC in accounting. A lot of us are waiting for a bank to employ us, while you never discover the talent that is hidden within you. You eventually get a job, you spend 12 hours working and you never have time to develop yourself and build your dream, you get home you say you are tired, no, you are not, you are just not inspired.
A lot of people who know me well call me jack of all trade. Yes they are right. Because I always love to learn and develop myself. I started with barbing, that's haircut, then to painting, I did a lot of things too, then I had to learn photography, graphics, video, digital marketing, social media marketing, blogging , web designing. Mind you, these are not part of what I studied to get a degree. All of these cost me time and money. You may take all these I said now as being my bravadoes.
What is the essence of saying all these? It is to let you see beyond this horizon, look into a brighter future, stop wasting your time on irrelevant chats, stop defrauding people of their hard earned money, stop yahoo yahoo, dont be lazy, stop depending on anyone, if you don't develop yourself you will keep wishing. Prepare yourself for the future. Money might not come now but keep building to lay a solid foundation for your future. People will talk and mock you, never mind, keep doing what you do. Keep learning, what you do not know ask questions. Stop waiting on salary job, as you are receiving that salary, be thinking of innovations. Bring your mind to work, discover your purpose in life. If I didn't try writing, I wouldn't know I could write. I learnt everything I do today. It started one day.

Please, invest in yourself. While waiting for that job, learn something new and develop your skills. Volunteer your services. Consider doing some unpaid work. Write more clearly. Read more. Reallocate the money you spend on expensive, clothes, weaves and phones to prepare yourself for the future. That added value you bring can make you stand out from the crowd.
Think about it!

1 Like

Re: Lazy Nigerian Youths by OlufemiWhit(m): 7:42am On Jun 21, 2018
Re: Lazy Nigerian Youths by OlufemiWhit(m): 7:43am On Jun 21, 2018
You deserve some accolades for this piece, very inspiring

1 Like

Re: Lazy Nigerian Youths by shevowinda(m): 8:49am On Jun 21, 2018
OlufemiWhit:
You deserve some accolades for this piece, very inspiring

thank you

(1) (Reply)

Writers Needed / The Family Meeting That Went Wrong / My World Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.