Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,946 members, 7,828,319 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures (1701 Views)

My Farming Sweetcorn Experience / The Journey Through My Farming A-Z With Photos / How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 11:28am On Jun 21, 2018
My name is Baruwa Oluwadele. I am happy to share my story. I want to acknowledge some of the nairalanders in this agric section that have been of great help to me from either information I got from their threads and personal assistance rendered to me.
First, to my oga himself lesgupnigeria,
unbeatable, robonski, etc

I will be telling my stories with some pictures,i hope it will inspire somebody to stay through to the course although it's not easy, it's challenging and sometimes you can be injured financially.

Many years ago, I was working a tech company but I was looking for a way to venture into agriculture since my job is not paying me as it should and feel the need to take control of my life.
IlMost time I will be owe about 5 to 6 months salary by this company as a man who has different responsibilities to fulfill.

My interest has always being in owning a farm and feed people since our population is growing.

I was in between 2 decision to make; either I look for another job or I venture into what I like but no experience whatsoever in it.
if I look for another job, what's the hope of getting the consistent good salary after all the hard work, waking up 5am and coming home 10pm.
I think if I can put all the hard work into my own interest,i will make even if it's little money but will be very happy.
so I opted to start out.

How do I get started? I had to check one or two nairalanders on the Agric section I felt were doing something tangible in the space.

First, i need land which I can buy
who can I contact for that?

I thought hotmase, lesgup,agrobiz, etc
in all the conversation,i come to like lesgup so the next thing I do is to pay a visit and the rest they say is history.
That was my first success.
it was not all good story.

will continue later in the day.
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Hallams(m): 12:38pm On Jun 21, 2018
Following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Donald3d(m): 5:17pm On Jun 21, 2018
following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by pheonixdld2(m): 6:00pm On Jun 21, 2018
We are waiting!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:42pm On Jun 21, 2018
Waiting
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by kunleweb: 6:53am On Jun 22, 2018
oP Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 10:23am On Jun 27, 2018
Hello people.
sorry for the delay. I am in a poor network area finding it difficult to upload pic here.
on the way to the farm, I will be back later today
wait for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 8:35am On Jul 18, 2018
After securing my land,i thought of what to grow.

my oga lesgup advise me to do plantain, and vegetables to make way for me due to my plan of wanting both long and short term returns.

My experience
it was a new eye opener for me because it was my first time of going into farm business but thanks to my mentors.

My advise for anybody starting out is not to do it alone.

First Week Of The Journey
Farming is stressful but it's also highly profitable
it was a serious stress getting labors and tractors to work on the farm
I spent almost 2 weeks to be able to get an operator to do our clearing and ploughing.

Third week of The Journey
I intially wanted to use the villagers Around the farm. but their fee was expensive.
so I had to make use of the egbira laborers.
so they start digging and and planting which takes a whole week.

Take opportunity when they come. I remember lesgup advertise getting free suckers on this platform some times ago for anybody that will be part of his plantain farm estate.
To cut the long story short, I got free suckers which saves me some cost that I used later on for the challenges I faced later on that almost ruin my farm.

I will continue later....my farm is looking for me.
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 18, 2018
Baruwadele:

After securing my land,i thought of what to grow.

my oga lesgup advise me to do plantain, and vegetables to make way for me due to my plan of wanting both long and short term returns.

My experience
it was a new eye opener for me because it was my first time of going into farm business but thanks to my mentors.

My advise for anybody starting out is not to do it alone.

First Week Of The Journey
Farming is stressful but it's also highly profitable
it was a serious stress getting labors and tractors to work on the farm
I spent almost 2 weeks to be able to get an operator to do our clearing and ploughing.

Third week of The Journey
I intially wanted to use the villagers Around the farm. but their fee was expensive.
so I had to make use of the egbira laborers.
so they start digging and and planting which takes a whole week.

Take opportunity when they come. I remember lesgup advertise getting free suckers on this platform some times ago for anybody that will be part of his plantain farm estate.
To cut the long story short, I got free suckers which saves me some cost that I used later on for the challenges I faced later on that almost ruin my farm.

I will continue later....my farm is looking for me.

waiting for more info sir, moreover i have interesting in farming but no land yet,can you tell us how you manage to get the land ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 7:34pm On Jul 18, 2018
sincerely most people think that farming is easy,just planting and waiting for harvesting but I can tell you from my experience that it's the difficult especially for city guy like me trying to fit into the rural settings.

Thanks to people I can call to to help me as soon as I run into challenges.

4th week of the journey
The plantain were beggining to grow and everything looking rosy, and started counting my money until challenges start coming.
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 7:41pm On Jul 18, 2018
Fwesh101:

waiting for more info sir, moreover i have interesting in farming but no land yet,can you tell us how you manage to get the land ?
I recommend lesgupnigeria,he does not only sell land, he gives free consultations,(which is very important for newbie in farming).you might also be lucky to get free suckers/seedlings
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
10th week of the journey

one morning as I pay visit to my farm, I saw my plantain turning yellow

I quickly call my farming mentors,

looking dejected and not knowing what next step to take, you need to be there to see how my optimism turned to dullness,and hopelessness.
it's one of my scariest days.(I just resigned and my hope is dependent on this business)

unknowingly,they are being infected by fungi

I quickly turned to advise given and told to apply some fungicides.it was like a magic to me.
after some days,the colour start changing.

I faced more challenges in my first year than any other year.
I will still share some here
These are some of the errors I would have made and cost me.
if you have not done it before, you need someone who is doing it and can guide you.
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Baruwadele: 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2019
its being a while!
Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Hasib04(m): 8:39am On Aug 04, 2019
We keep following sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures by Jonnic1(m): 2:25pm On Oct 09, 2019
Thanks bros!. We are waiting

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

3 Sets Of Imported Used Green House Net For Sale In Ibadan / 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming / What Are The Uses Of Mustard Seeds In Nigeria??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.