Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,131 members, 7,811,194 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

How To Pass Personality Tests - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Pass Personality Tests (13510 Views)

I Failed Job Pre Medical Tests / Popular Free Personality Tests For Employers / Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Pass Personality Tests by JARUSHUB: 11:42pm On Jun 24, 2018
Uchechi Moses

Companies, nationally and globally, have come to realise that it is expensive recruiting people and having their personalities not aligned to the work environment. The work environment is different from the academic environment and assessing for this is an important factor in a recruitment process. In order to reduce bias in the process, firms utilise personality tests to effectively gauge candidates’ suitability for the work place. As a result, the tests are delivered online where candidates can login from anywhere they are. The verified results are collated and compared to others, thereby ensuring the process is sped up and candidates’ answers aligns with company’s plans.

Let’s assume this: You saw a vacancy for a role most likely graduate trainee (firms also administer personality tests to experienced staff) and applied, wrote the aptitude test and passed to the next stage. Which is a personality assessment, most likely to be taken online. Before you take the test, many questions race through your mind: Will it be hard? What is the duration? What if the results do not reflect “me”? Can I fake a personality to scale through? How effective is it? What really does the firm require of me at this stage? On the other hand, your performance during this stage tells the recruiter your personality aka “kind of person”. How does this individual fit into the firm? What are the pros and cons of employing the candidate? And many similar questions are asked during the assessment of your results.

HERE ARE WAYS TO PREPARE

1. Read about the company’s values and culture to know the skills they covet

This is important as it gives you an insight to how the company operates and what she espouses. What particular values do they espouse? Do they lead by example? Respect each other? Are totally honest about their dealings? What inspires them? These and many more will be checked by infusing them into the assessment and you as the candidate will be mandated to answer them accordingly. Study the firm thoroughly ditto the job description. See the values and culture section of a firm as a mock exam before the real exam. Fine-tune your answers to them.

2. Be yourself

This cannot be overemphasised. Being yourself, like the phrase says – brings out the real you. You cannot continue to fake it, most personality tests have lots of questions and are mixed together. It can be confusing to you, and the deceit will not last long. For instance, even if you are scrupulously honest and not prone to anger, the way that some questions are interpreted can cause doubts to be raised about both your honesty and your stability. Being yourself – how you do and see things – aids in you answering the questions effectively.

3. Avoid presenting yourself as being perfect

There is no perfect employee; we have our mistakes. One of the questions asked during interviews is “what was your biggest mistake in a work/professional environment?”. Trying to be perfect will end up being futile in the exercise. Which takes us to the next tip.

4. Do not make all your choices be “strongly agree or “strongly disagree” except in ethical questions

This reduces your chances of going to the next stage because it comes across as someone who cheats the system, is too rigid, not open to change, difficult to work with etc. However, like our first tip says – know the firm in-and-out; because some firms actually employ individuals with such characters – non-conforming, unsocial, extremely disciplined etc. Exceptions do exist; however, exceptions are not norms. On the other hand, during ethical/integrity related questions. Like we have said during interview questions; never ever accept to compromise your integrity. No matter what!

5. Look at a question from a broader perspective. Is it about integrity, team work, leadership, communication, pressure handling etc?

Take some seconds before answering a question. During this time, think about the question and what they desire. Carefully select the option that aligns with your personality and the firm’s values.

6. Be consistent, take your time and do not fret

As odd as it sounds, you have all the whole day to answer a personality assessment. Do not be hasty when answering questions; take your time. Candidates have spent an hour on PwC’s OPQ assessment and were successful, you don’t have to “quickly” finish the test and unfortunately get a regret mail. However, because you you have all the time does not mean you should sleep there. Additionally, be consistent; agreeing not to collect bribe, but agree not to report someone who committed fraud. That is confusion.

Note: There are no past questions for personality tests. It is about your persona.

http://www.jarushub.com/how-to-pass-personality-tests-during-recruitment-exercises/

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by lekkan(m): 6:51am On Jun 25, 2018
But why do ladies forming POSH still be Farting anyhow in public places?? Now this one has embarrsed her BF.... She needs to read this personality stuff
#Nonesense

Morning Guys
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by DonFreshmoney(m): 6:51am On Jun 25, 2018
Waka dere.. u don pass ur own test?
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by diego101(m): 6:52am On Jun 25, 2018
Ok

1 Like

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Yemicrakz1: 6:52am On Jun 25, 2018
Its my birthday, show me love

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by phatnpretty(f): 6:53am On Jun 25, 2018
Good morning nairalanders.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Yinxies(f): 6:54am On Jun 25, 2018
Noted

1 Like

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Mzyouzee: 6:58am On Jun 25, 2018
This is both risky and true at the same time...
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by adejaresalami1(m): 7:06am On Jun 25, 2018
Alright.......very much an eye opener.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:07am On Jun 25, 2018
This Nigeria

You go apply for job with 200,000 people, dem go chose only twenty

The twenty go write aptitude test, personality test, eye test height test, interview then them go choose only 5
Which way naija

2 Likes

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by H2Ossss(m): 7:17am On Jun 25, 2018
Nice write up jarus... true talk
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by darkmarky(m): 7:17am On Jun 25, 2018
Lol.. Nigeria sef..
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by H2Ossss(m): 7:18am On Jun 25, 2018
izzy4shizzy:
This Nigeria

You go apply for job with 200,000 people, dem go chose only twenty

The twenty go write aptitude test, personality test, eye test height test, interview then them go choose only 5
Which way naija

Then strive to be amongst the 5 they choose... that's how I've always seen it... it's a jungle out there.. have a strong mentality...

4 Likes

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:26am On Jun 25, 2018
H2Ossss:

Then strive to be amongst the 5 they choose... that's how I've always seen it... it's a jungle out there.. have a strong mentality...

That's the struggle bro

1 Like

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by calcus(m): 7:33am On Jun 25, 2018
Nice one.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Standardcosting(m): 7:46am On Jun 25, 2018
Not picking strongly agree or disagree except in ethical questions....

I strongly disagree with this

I think it depends on companies

I remember shell personality test, not selecting the extremes will only make you get a regret.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by JARUSHUB: 8:05am On Jun 25, 2018
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by linqzs: 8:09am On Jun 25, 2018
JARUSHUB:
To aid the discourse:

How to pass an assessment centre exercise

A little bit from the topic though. Please

I recently filled a form for a job and put my expected salary at 90k with transport allowance. Now, bearing in mind that the salary might be negotiated down, how can I start from a higher sum when I am being asked orally?
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by donqx: 9:35am On Jun 25, 2018
ohh
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by mustaphagreens(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2018
Standardcosting:
Not picking strongly agree or disagree except in ethical questions....

I strongly disagree with this

I think it depends on companies

I remember shell personality test, not selecting the extremes will only make you get a regret.

In addition, some OPQs only allow for extreme answers: e.g most likely you or least likely you, and no provisions are made for in-betweens.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 25, 2018
there are past questions with explanations if you search smart. at least I've seen one
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by ebuka1511(m): 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2018
This is cool, I like the writes up. that was how I have never passed the personality test of BAT test. On two occasions i have written their personality tests and have received regret mails twice. Thank God i never made it, as am in a better place now. But would be nice to know the nitty gritty of writing that test. I plan applying again, when opening that am qualified for opens again, if not for anything atleast just to pass the test.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by BestDealPropert(f): 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
ebuka1511:
This is cool, I like the writes up. that was how I have never passed the personality test of BAT test. On two occasions i have written their personality tests and have received regret mails twice. Thank God i never made it, as am in a better place now. But would be nice to know the nitty gritty of writing that test. I plan applying again, when opening that am qualified for opens again, if not for anything atleast just to pass the test.
Thanks for this.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Greedgod: 7:01am On Jun 27, 2018
HotMayo:
there are past questions with explanations if you search smart. at least I've seen one
can you pls share it with me
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by ekmike(m): 10:19pm On Jul 27, 2018
ebuka1511:

And to say I am here because of BAT personality test
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by aniekan2odds(m): 10:48pm On Oct 23, 2018
Yinxies:
Noted
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by pumojazof: 10:28am On Oct 24, 2018
ATTEND THIS PROFESSIONAL DIGITAL MARKETING MASTER-CLASS - NO BOREDOM. NO BLATHERING. NO BULLSHIT. 100% PRACTICAL!

The truth is this social media likes don’t necessarily turn to leads that eventually can turn to sales.

To be the Digital Media Marketer Employers and clients want to hire - you need to understand how to implement the digital media marketing mix - paid and guerilla marketing, social media management, build inbound traffic, content creation for Ads, create designs needed for your Ads campaign and email marketing etc

What you will learn and practice from this All-in-one Powerful Training!

- Actual Best Blogging Practices with SEO (including blogging mistakes and tips)
- SEO (Search Engine Best Practices)
- Practical Understand of Google Adwords and Google Adsense
- Practical Understand of Affiliate Marketing
- Practically learn how to manually GROW your Twitter and Instagram real followers
- Practical training on EMAIL MARKETING – tips and techniques
- GUERILLA MARKETING
- GRAPHICS DESIGN
- PLUS MUCH MORE

TRAINING COMMENCEMENT DATE: Tues, 13th of November, 2018. TIME: 10AM – 2PM DAILY

TRAINING COST: N24,999 (PAYMENT BEFORE TRAINING) – 20% Discounts for Early birds
N29,999 (PAYMENT ON TRAINING DAY)

VENUE: Unity Road, Off Toyin Street, off Awolowo Way, Ikeja, Lagos

REQUIREMENTS: Just your laptop and writing pad – UNLIMITED INTERNET WIFI AVAILABLE!

REFRESHMENT: Daily LUNCH every day of the training for FREE!

OUR COMMITTED AND FIRM GUARANTEE: At the end of this training, we guarantee that you would be able to implement aforementioned tactics to grow your business/upgrade your career.
We even offer the first training day for FREE to those doubting Thomases to come and taste the awesome practical DMM training we offer. But if after the one day free training you would like to commence the full training, you will be paying the full payment of N29,999(NO DISCOUNT!)

Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Veriton(m): 4:55pm On Feb 10, 2021
Will I be able to take a job test if I have a drug addiction? It's just that not so long ago I started taking drugs (I know that this is bad) so my appearance doesn't show that I take drugs. I don't know what to answer if I am asked if I have some kind of addiction. Most likely, if the employer finds out that I am a drug addict, then I may not be hired. In general, I learned about my addiction when I passed the test addictive behaviors. Of course, I struggle with this addiction, but not everything is so simple.
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by Cobert(m): 5:16pm On Feb 10, 2021
Veriton:
Will I be able to take a job test if I have a drug addiction? It's just that not so long ago I started taking drugs (I know that this is bad) so my appearance doesn't show that I take drugs. I don't know what to answer if I am asked if I have some kind of addiction. Most likely, if the employer finds out that I am a drug addict, then I may not be hired. In general, I learned about my addiction when I passed the test addictive behaviors. Of course, I struggle with this addiction, but not everything is so simple.
Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM
Re: How To Pass Personality Tests by kolkota: 12:50pm On Nov 17, 2023
Veriton:

Addressing a drug addiction is a significant challenge, and it's important to seek professional help. In parallel, engaging in therapeutic activities like paint by numbers can be beneficial. This art form offers a structured yet creative outlet, which can be quite therapeutic and might help in coping with addiction struggles. It provides a focused activity that can distract from cravings and reduce stress. However, it's crucial to remember that while hobbies like paint by numbers can be supportive, they are not a substitute for professional addiction treatment and counseling.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Steps To Success In Your Career / Airtel’s Indians To Reduce Staff Salary By At Least 60%: Strike Action Looms / How Do You Cope When Sacked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.