Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,482 members, 7,836,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Angel Di Maria “the Most Difficult Day Of My Life” - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Angel Di Maria “the Most Difficult Day Of My Life” (732 Views)

Angel Di Maria Announces Retirement From International Football / PSG Star Angel Di Maria Screams F*** Off At Man Utd Fans After Goal (Photos) / PSG Forward,angel Di Maria,sentenced To Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Angel Di Maria “the Most Difficult Day Of My Life” by spactacus(m): 6:42pm On Jun 25, 2018
Angel Di Maria has opened up on the moment he realised his World Cup final dream was over, after Real Madrid prevented the Argentinian lining up for his country against Germany in 2014.
The winger was injured in the quarter-finals of the competition but had been having injections in his leg in order to play through the pain. Real Madrid did not want their asset doing any serious damage though and stopped him playing.
Ahead of Argentina's decisive group game with Nigeria at this year's World Cup, Di Maria has revealed what really went on in 2014 as he watched his country crash to defeat in the final.
Di Maria recounted his heartbreaking tale on The Player's Tribune, titled 'In the rain, in the cold, in the dark'.
'It was the morning of the 2014 World Cup Final, at exactly 11am and I was sitting on the trainer's table about to get an injection in my leg. I had torn my thigh muscle in the quarter-finals, but with painkillers, I could run without feeling anything,' he wrote.
'I told our trainers these exact words: "If I break, then let me keep breaking. I don't care. I just want to be able to play". So I was putting ice on my leg when our team doctor, Daniel Martínez, came into the room holding this envelope, and he said "Look, Ángel, this paper came from Real Madrid,
'I said "What are you talking about?" He said "Well, they're saying you're not in any condition to play. So they are forcing us to not let you play today."
'I immediately knew what was happening. Everybody had heard the rumours that Real wanted to sign James Rodríguez after the World Cup, and I knew that they were going to sell me to make room for him.
'So they didn’t want their asset to be damaged. It was that simple. That’s the business of football that people do not always see. I told Daniel to give me the letter. I didn’t even open it. I just ripped it into pieces
Di Maria also recounted a conversation with the then Argentina manager, Alejandro Sabella, who he pleaded with to pick the player he thought best for the job, before crying in front of him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5883829/Angel-Di-Maria-recalls-World-Cup-heartbreak-Madrid-prevented-playing-2014-final.html
Re: Angel Di Maria “the Most Difficult Day Of My Life” by splendid2: 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2018
Another loss awaits him tomorrow
Re: Angel Di Maria “the Most Difficult Day Of My Life” by ruzell86: 12:42am On Jun 26, 2018
splendid2:
Another loss awaits him tomorrow

Yea, indeed a bigger loss awaits him...

(1) (Reply)

Pele Speaks On Ronaldo’s Move To Juventus / A France Player Deserves The Golden Ball, And It’s Not Pogba Or Mbappé / Libya Head Coach Begs After Scandalous Juju Comment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.