Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina (24057 Views)

The VAR Used In Nigeria Vs South Africa Match (Photos) / Cameroon Players In Tears During England Clash After VAR Controversy / Cafclfinal: Wydad Casablanca Abandons Game After VAR Controversy (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by Naughtytboy: 4:44pm On Jun 26, 2018
fecta:
I pray this is not true but the I dreamt that Argentina beat Nigeria 3-1
remember you dreamt that you traveld to America some years back but u still in your village dreaming

1 Like

Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by stagger: 4:50pm On Jun 26, 2018
slimany:
Guyz, Let's be frank with ourselves, FIFA will rather rob us of that 2nd round for Argentina. Let's be real with ourselves, Same scenario played out yesterday between Spain , morrocco match and Portugal with Iran. FIFA will rather opt to see Spain in round of 16 than seeing Iran in round of 16. They have a lot to gain now that Spain narrowly escaped.
Why not ask urself why UNA ALMIGHTY VAR no fit cancel out the offside that led to Spain equalizer. The more u open una eyes, the more we see things.
To all who cared to listen, Make una take your lunch before the match starts. just my advice.

The goal by Spain was a valid goal. Let's forget sentiments. My quarrel with VAR is its selective use. Gerard Pique should have been dismissed for the 2-footed tackle in the 1st half.
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by purplekayc(m): 4:50pm On Jun 26, 2018
humbleofficer:
Correct Score:

Nigeria 1 : 4 Argentina

Everybody shouting may God help Nigeria, so God will neglect Argentina abi? lipsrsealed
grin
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by Soggy4all: 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2018
tolats:

Meet you at Saint Petersburg
E dey pain am o

Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by MrMacinterchi1: 5:03pm On Jun 26, 2018
humbleofficer:
Correct Score:

Nigeria 1 : 4 Argentina

Everybody shouting may God help Nigeria, so God will neglect Argentina abi? lipsrsealed

it's wise to root for ur own. U think Argentinian are not praying " God help Argentina " as we speak?
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by Soggy4all: 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2018
jbtobsyn:

Na so you are already used to poverty since it has been with your forefathers.
E dey pain am o

Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by eodavids(m): 5:20pm On Jun 26, 2018
On Portugal v. Iran:
Rinaldo was not deserving any card at all (not even the yellow).

Somebody was persistently pushing his (Iranian) head over his (Rinaldo's) face and all attempt by Rinaldo to move back and side was not deterring the Iranian player.

Op, if something or someone tries to enter your eye; what do you do?
Allow it or use your hand to Shrove it aside?
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 26, 2018
zicoraads:
This year's World Cup is very different for many reasons. But perhaps, the most glaring one is the use of the Video Assistant Referee (VAR). For long, contentious decisions in the most watched sport in the world has affected the outcome of several matches. One of the most controversial is the "Hand of God" incident. In what was one of the most infamous incidents of World Cup history, Argentina's Diego Maradona used his hand to score when jumping for the ball with England goalkeeper Peter Shilton in the 1986 quarter-finals in Mexico City.

The officials did not spot the offence and the goal was given, with Maradona later telling reporters he was helped by the "Hand of God".

This led to calls for an independent review of decisions before the centre referee took a final decision. But has it really been worth the wait?

The truth is, several decisions in this World Cup have been correctly decided by the VAR. Against Iceland, a lot of Nigerians watching that match hoped that the centre referee would stand by his decision not to award the penalty against Nigeria. The second he decided to consult the VAR, we all knew that decision will change.

But how about the Morocco Vs. Spain and Iran Vs. Portugal games? Did the VAR pass its auditions? With Portugal and Spain's qualification not yet assured, the outcome of both matches was very important. So how did the referee fail to spot what seemed like an offside goal (the one that made it 2-2) even after reviewing it on VAR? Or how did the referee fail to award C. Ronaldo a red card even after the lengthy review? Or the contentious decisions that characterized the match?

For some reasons, it seemed the odds were deliberately stacked against Iran and Morocco yesterday, being the relatively smaller teams.

With most international pundits and even the international media already writing off Nigeria, the Super Eagles need to be very careful in how they approach today's final game. If anything, yesterday's matches showed that when the occasion is grand, the smaller teams suffer from the decisions of the VAR, compared to the big teams.

Baba, that spain goal na clean goal, not offside at all
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by hollah123: 5:39pm On Jun 26, 2018
donb06:
you be fool o.... all this messi asslickers ... even Elijah for bible talk am call on the ur god and i will call on the name of mine he he wey answer get the day make argentina call there own god na...... fool olodo oloriburukun nwerey. because of Ordinary messi... see how Rakitic em friend and team mate use mark bone to bone u wey no dey get even shi shi dey open dat ur mouth wey look like baboon nyash dey talk
so Na cos of ball u dey curse your generation like this.all this iPod youth self Wetin dey worry u.na y dem dey kill u b dis now,u with your Spelling's up there it's obvious u are from there n d last time I checked am entitled to my personal opinion.e just dey do me like make I see u right now I swear down if to say u dey my reach now u will ever regret coming to this world.d guy I quoted responded like a sane individual.now I know say if them dey kill u people dem justify am die.whats my biz with Messi who is getting paid.
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by donb06: 5:41pm On Jun 26, 2018
hollah123:
so Na cos of ball u dey curse your generation like this.all this iPod youth self Wetin dey worry u.na y dem dey kill u b dis now,u with your Spelling's up there it's obvious u are from there n d last time I checked am entitled to my personal opinion.e just dey do me like make I see u right now I swear down if to say u dey my reach now u will ever regret coming to this world.d guy I quoted responded like a sane individual.now I know say if them dey kill u people dem justify am die.whats my biz with Messi who is getting paid.
grin grin grin grin E PAIN AM
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by hunter21(m): 6:43pm On Jun 26, 2018
SSGN:
I found it bizzare as the dismasal of Nigeria's chances and they hyping of Argentina by CNN. Even Maggi Lake, a Wall Street correspondent with zero knowledge about football was chipping in on Nigeria's slim chances..then a 5 minute Monologue on Lionel Messi's mother. Aww Merci been crying, awww noo...he is under so much pressure...aww no it will be bad for Adidas should Argentina fail to qualify...i mean wtf ?
had it been it was Rinaldo that scored Ahmed musas 1st goal they would say he is better than pele

1 Like

Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by hollah123: 9:54pm On Jun 26, 2018
donb06:
grin grin grin grin E PAIN AM
u no see as Nigeria win
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by Timidaves: 12:11am On Jun 27, 2018
Ur analysis came to pass today
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by mytym(m): 12:46am On Jun 27, 2018
P
zicoraads:
This year's World Cup is very different for many reasons. But perhaps, the most glaring one is the use of the Video Assistant Referee (VAR). For long, contentious decisions in the most watched sport in the world has affected the outcome of several matches. One of the most controversial is the "Hand of God" incident. In what was one of the most infamous incidents of World Cup history, Argentina's Diego Maradona used his hand to score when jumping for the ball with England goalkeeper Peter Shilton in the 1986 quarter-finals in Mexico City.

The officials did not spot the offence and the goal was given, with Maradona later telling reporters he was helped by the "Hand of God".

This led to calls for an independent review of decisions before the centre referee took a final decision. But has it really been worth the wait?

The truth is, several decisions in this World Cup have been correctly decided by the VAR. Against Iceland, a lot of Nigerians watching that match hoped that the centre referee would stand by his decision not to award the penalty against Nigeria. The second he decided to consult the VAR, we all knew that decision will change.

But how about the Morocco Vs. Spain and Iran Vs. Portugal games? Did the VAR pass its auditions? With Portugal and Spain's qualification not yet assured, the outcome of both matches was very important. So how did the referee fail to spot what seemed like an offside goal (the one that made it 2-2) even after reviewing it on VAR? Or how did the referee fail to award C. Ronaldo a red card even after the lengthy review? Or the contentious decisions that characterized the match?

For some reasons, it seemed the odds were deliberately stacked against Iran and Morocco yesterday, being the relatively smaller teams.

With most international pundits and even the international media already writing off Nigeria, the Super Eagles need to be very careful in how they approach today's final game. If anything, yesterday's matches showed that when the occasion is grand, the smaller teams suffer from the decisions of the VAR, compared to the big teams.

You were right absolutely!
If tables were turned, the referee and every other referees in this FIFA scam will award the penalty after viewing the VAR.
Re: The VAR Controversy And Why Nigeria Needs To Be Careful Against Argentina by Nobody: 1:05am On Jun 27, 2018
VAR gave u a weak penalty so sharao grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashanu To Build Sports Academy In Numatville Megacity, / Rabah Madjer: "Nigeria Is A Team Of Benchwarmers" / Prince Harry Welcomes Nigeria To Invictus Games.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.