Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,728 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! (2406 Views)

Identify And Win - What Vehicle Is This? / How To Survive If Your Vehicle Is Sinking Into A River Or Sea / Thinking Of Going To Mars? This Land Rover Vehicle Is A Perfect Ride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by Kashif(m): 8:24am On Jun 27, 2018
This morning, I watched my colleague park his car, and the way he drove got me concerned. While he was parking, he had to go back and forth a couple of times, and each time, engaging the drive or reverse gear before the car came to a complete stop.

When he was done, I called him and explained the implication of his driving habit, which is premature wear of the gear, especially the clutches.

Your gear is NOT designed to stop the vehicle. When the vehicle is still moving (no matter how slowly), and you engage the reverse gear, the holding members responsible for that range kick in, and struggle to first overcome the opposite rotation before pulling in the desired direction. This comes with negligible wear, but mount if this abuse continues over time.

The gear is designed to ramp up pressure with throttle input - the more the engine load, the higher the internal pressure. This ensures that the holding members (clutches, brakes, bands) respond with corresponding pressure to avoid slip. With zero throttle input during this abusive switch, the gear's internal pressure is at its lowest so, it is not able to contain that sudden slip effectively.

While your vehicle is crawling, the gear's internal parts are moving at higher speeds!

Protect your gear by avoiding this habit. Nice day!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by Readonee35L(m): 2:56pm On Mar 10, 2019
I’m guilty of this cry
Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by valarinz: 4:16pm On Mar 10, 2019
Can't be coming to a total halt cos of gearbox(where's the joy in driving like a learner), even if all the rules is followed, the gearbox will still die.

We ride on pls

1 Like

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by legalwealth(m): 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2019
Kashif:
This morning, I watched my colleague park his car, and the way he drove got me concerned. While he was parking, he had to go back and forth a couple of times, and each time, engaging the drive or reverse gear before the car came to a complete stop.

When he was done, I called him and explained the implication of his driving habit, which is premature wear of the gear, especially the clutches.

Your gear is NOT designed to stop the vehicle. When the vehicle is still moving (no matter how slowly), and you engage the reverse gear, the holding members responsible for that range kick in, and struggle to first overcome the opposite rotation before pulling in the desired direction. This comes with negligible wear, but mount if this abuse continues over time.

The gear is designed to ramp up pressure with throttle input - the more the engine load, the higher the internal pressure. This ensures that the holding members (clutches, brakes, bands) respond with corresponding pressure to avoid slip. With zero throttle input during this abusive switch, the gear's internal pressure is at its lowest so, it is not able to contain that sudden slip effectively.

While your vehicle is crawling, the gear's internal parts are moving at higher speeds!

God bless you!

Only the wise ones would appreciate you for this article! !!

1 Like

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by baaliyah(m): 9:53pm On Mar 10, 2019
We all know it is bad, but can't stop doing it.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by valarinz: 10:38pm On Mar 10, 2019
legalwealth:

God bless you!

Are you here throwing jabs once more?

You still need some?.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by princeduke2013: 3:25pm On Jul 28, 2019
Kashif:

Hi
Can I get your contact and I already sent you a a a mail
I drive a 13 pin 2008 Camry XLE model by the gear is damaged and I really need to fix it but my mechanic is advising that I change to 10 pin due to difficulty in getting an expert to fix a 13 pin gear.
Kindly advise and drop your contact
Thanks
Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by diportivo: 2:36pm On Jul 31, 2019
where is the time?

1 Like

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by dannybrasky(m): 5:20pm On Jul 31, 2019
Coming from someone who couldn't manage a Lexus gear for a day grin

Ayo Babalola wept grin

legalwealth:

God bless you!

3 Likes

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by dannybrasky(m): 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2019
Run from your mechanic.

princeduke2013:

Hi
Can I get your contact and I already sent you a a a mail
I drive a 13 pin 2008 Camry XLE model by the gear is damaged and I really need to fix it but my mechanic is advising that I change to 10 pin due to difficulty in getting an expert to fix a 13 pin gear.
Kindly advise and drop your contact
Thanks
Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by diportivo: 5:22pm On Jul 31, 2019
dannybrasky:
Coming from someone who couldn't manage a Lexus gear for a day grin

Ayo Babalola wept grin

Re: Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear! by Olamideace001: 7:57pm On Sep 11, 2022
Please I really need help concerning my Camry 07 gear , Firstly let me tell u what happened ,I suddenly notice my gear select late and when I discovered I notice water enter d oil but I was surprised I didn’t enter any water so I was told from the radiator there’s a pipe that connect them and probably it leaks ,they tried all sort of tricks like flushing it but no avail and the drive stopped and only the reverse work fine and I was introduced to a gear operator ,he scanned it and this were d code below
P0748:- Pressure Control
solenoid A Electrical
P0778: Pressure Control
Solenoid BElectrical
)P0798 : Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical
4) P0983: Shift SolenodD Control Gieuit High
P0986: Shift Solenoid E

He ask for money that he will buy d drive which I gave him and other money ,he remove the gear and said he clean everything and replace the things needed but when done it’s still d same and only d reverse still work only please help me ���� I paid almost 150k already

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Decide. Range Rover Sport , Lexus GX470,Acura MDX or Mitsubishi Endeavor / BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? / V.I.O Check Point: What Do They Ask Motorists For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.