Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,386 members, 7,812,140 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? (1450 Views)

Is Ecobank Plc And Ecobank Xpress Acct The Same Thing? Urgent Pls!! / Ecobank Branch Is On Fire (Photos) / Ecobank Introduces Cardless Cash Withdrawal Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by Slimdoug(m): 6:17pm On Jun 28, 2018
Since this morning, I've been dumbfounded by the total lack of class by Ecobank Nigeria. I mean, I've operated accounts with several banks in the country, but my experience with this one just gets me dazed every time I think about it.

If it was not because I live and work at a location where Ecobank is the closest bank and ATM by proximity, and my need to move cash easily, I wouldn't have dreamt of even visiting the bank not to talk of opening an account with them. So, on a fateful day, I visited the branch and made enquiries about opening a savings account. I was directed to the Account opening section where I met just one person, a woman, who gave me the list of requirements needed to open the account. So, I dashed out the bank, homewards, got the requirements and then back to the bank in just about 30 minutes. The time reads 1:52pm. I went straight to the account opening section to continue the process, but there was no one there. Went back to the customer care to ask about the account opening manager's whereabouts, but was told to wait because she went for a break.

So, there I sat. Patiently. Waiting for the woman to return from her break. Waited some 40 minutes more and asked the customer care again. This time was told to still wait, but rather harshly. I could have been at work, but I kept my calm still. Waited some more and the time reads 3:15pm. Again, I asked the customer care about the woman's whereabouts, but this time, they were fed up and started to ignore me. Note that this is me with my money coming to open an account that will obviously profit the bank and pay its staffs, but no one in this bank seem to have the required nous to deal with customers appropriately. Heck, the account opening section of the bank; a department that is meant to bring more business to the bank has no staff to attend to individuals and businesses willing to trust the bank with their money!

By this time, I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to work. The time was already reading quarter to four and the customer care reps couldn't care less. I went out of the bank, talked to the security and asked him about the account opening manager's whereabouts. The security helped searched for the woman who supposedly went on a break, but to no avail. By this time, I had already searched twitter for Ecobank customer care Whatsapp number and sent them a message on Whatsapp about the issue I'm having at one of their branches. No response. The security man came back and told me bluntly that the woman had gone for marketing. Hey!

Ok, what do we do now? I don't think I would have the time to come to this bank again o. The security man then offered to let the customer care reps know that the woman in charge of account opening had stepped out for marketing. They then printed out an account opening form, which I filled and then left the bank.

Fast forward to 5 days later, I got a response from Ecobank's Whatsapp number asking how they could help me. this is 5 days after sending them a message. Talk of more classlessness. You wouldn't imagine how baffled I was. I deleted the message with no response since I didn't need it any more. Then 2 days later, I got a call from the bank. That is, 7 days after filling an account opening form. 7 days. And surprisingly, they weren't even calling me to let me know that my account was active. They were calling to ask for directions to my house for inspection. Boom! I gave up.

Then 3 days later which was last Friday(10 days after filling their account opening form), I got an sms congratulating me about my shiny new account with ecobank! Welcome to Ecobank, the Pan African Bank cheesy! And that was quickly followed by a call on Tuesday asking me to deposit money into the new account. I promised I would deposit some cash on Wednesday, but couldn't go to the bank due to some busyness. But alas, this morning, being Thursday, I got a call again from the same Ecobank, but this time with a full dose of complete classlessness. The caller was threatening to close my account if I didn't deposit some money in it ASAP. And this is just 4 business days after getting a message that the account was now active. Seriously, I don't know what to feel right now because I'm beyond shocked as well as amused by this total lack of organisation and classlessness by Ecobank. Guess I'll have to stay away for now.

Modified: For those asking me to contact the bank again, I think I've given up on the bank already. The last straw was when the bank called me on Thursday threatening to close the account if I don't deposit in it ASAP. I was trying to explain why I may not deposit in it soon since the main transaction that prompted me to open the account in the first place has already been done with another bank while waiting for Ecobank to activate my account; and then boom! they cut the call on me. That's when I knew I was dealing with an incompetent bank, and that was it for me.
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by dingbang(m): 6:34pm On Jun 28, 2018
Some banks staff don't know that customers" satisfaction is always important and they should try as much as possible not to bring down the brand they are working for.

At first bank, we put you first in all we do, and that is why you just need to open an account by dialling *894*0# without visiting any of our branches. Furthermore, If you have an account with the bank, do well to download the mobile app by clicking on my link for a step by step guideline.. .

You first

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by ITbomb(m): 6:42pm On Jun 28, 2018
dingbang:
Some bank staff don't know that customers" satisfaction is always important and any they should try as much as possible not to bring down the brand they are working for.

At first bank, we put you first in all we do, and that is why you just need to open an account by dialling *894*0# without visiting any of our branches. Furthermore, If you have an account with the bank, do well to download the mobile app by clicking on my link for a step by step guideline.. .

You first
Confirmed

I still dey wonder how first Bank evolved from old school Bank to a very responsive 21st century financial platform, � just a bank
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by dingbang(m): 6:44pm On Jun 28, 2018
ITbomb:

Confirmed

I still dey wonder how first Bank evolved from old school Bank to a very responsive 21st century financial platform, � just a bank
my brother, na over 100years of hardwork
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by ITbomb(m): 6:50pm On Jun 28, 2018
dingbang:
my brother, na over 100years of hardwork
Union Bank no follow work for over 100 years?
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by dingbang(m): 6:51pm On Jun 28, 2018
ITbomb:

Union Bank no follow work for over 100 years?
hardwork bro.. cheesy union bank been dey play cheesy
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 28, 2018
How much were you paid to defame a bank. I sense something fishy here.

You think by speaking ill of others you'll get one over them

1 Like

Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by Donald3d(m): 11:14pm On Jun 28, 2018
cheesy
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by yadnusedimoya: 9:08am On Jun 29, 2018
Slimdoug:
Since this morning, I've been dumbfounded by the total lack of class by Ecobank Nigeria. I mean, I've operated accounts with several banks in the country, but my experience with this one just gets me dazed every time I think about it.

If it was not because I live and work at a location where Ecobank is the closest bank and ATM by proximity, and my need to move cash easily, I wouldn't have dreamt of even visiting the bank not to talk of opening an account with them. So, on a fateful day, I visited the branch and made enquiries about opening a savings account. I was directed to the Account opening section where I met just one person, a woman, who gave me the list of requirements needed to open the account. So, I dashed out the bank, homewards, got the requirements and then back to the bank in just about 30 minutes. The time reads 1:52pm. I went straight to the account opening section to continue the process, but there was no one there. Went back to the customer care to ask about the account opening manager's whereabouts, but was told to wait because she went for a break.

So, there I sat. Patiently. Waiting for the woman to return from her break. Waited some 40 minutes more and asked the customer care again. This time was told to still wait, but rather harshly. I could have been at work, but I kept my calm still. Waited some more and the time reads 3:15pm. Again, I asked the customer care about the woman's whereabouts, but this time, they were fed up and started to ignore me. Note that this is me with my money coming to open an account that will obviously profit the bank and pay its staffs, but no one in this bank seem to have the required nous to deal with customers appropriately. Heck, the account opening section of the bank; a department that is meant to bring more business to the bank has no staff to attend to individuals and businesses willing to trust the bank with their money!

By this time, I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to work. The time was already reading quarter to four and the customer care reps couldn't care less. I went out of the bank, talked to the security and asked him about the account opening manager's whereabouts. The security helped searched for the woman who supposedly went on a break, but to no avail. By this time, I had already searched twitter for Ecobank customer care Whatsapp number and sent them a message on Whatsapp about the issue I'm having at one of their branches. No response. The security man came back and told me bluntly that the woman had gone for marketing. Hey!

Ok, what do we do now? I don't think I would have the time to come to this bank again o. The security man then offered to let the customer care reps know that the woman in charge of account opening had stepped out for marketing. They then printed out an account opening form, which I filled and then left the bank.

Fast forward to 5 days later, I got a response from Ecobank's Whatsapp number asking how they could help me. this is 5 days after sending them a message. Talk of more classlessness. You wouldn't imagine how baffled I was. I deleted the message with no response since I didn't need it any more. Then 2 days later, I got a call from the bank. That is, 7 days after filling an account opening form. 7 days. And surprisingly, they weren't even calling me to let me know that my account was active. They were calling to ask for directions to my house for inspection. Boom! I gave up.

Then 3 days later which was last Friday(10 days after filling their account opening form), I got an sms congratulating me about my shiny new account with ecobank! Welcome to Ecobank, the Pan African Bank cheesy! And that was quickly followed by a call on Tuesday asking me to deposit money into the new account. I promised I would deposit some cash on Wednesday, but couldn't go to the bank due to some busyness. But alas, this morning, being Thursday, I got a call again from the same Ecobank, but this time with a full dose of complete classlessness. The caller was threatening to close my account if I didn't deposit some money in it ASAP. And this is just 4 business days after getting a message that the account was now active. Seriously, I don't know what to feel right now because I'm beyond shocked as well as amused by this total lack of organisation and classlessness by Ecobank. Guess I'll have to stay away for now.

My brother sorry for your experience. However I would advise caution when writing about an organization that has a reputation to keep like us, individually. This things happen with all the banks, there are certainly some unruly staff in all institutions. What is important is for the person involve to try and reach out to the leadership of the bank. For instance when I had issues with Ecobank in the past someone shared their ombudsman number which is not controlled by the branch and my issues was resolved immediately.

Even the first bank man talking. I have had a similar delayed service issue with them and it took like forever to get it resolved. So I do not think any of the banks is an Eldorado as his is trying to paint.

Please simply goggle any bank’s name and you will get information on who to call on their website / corporate information where numbers are always available to call should you have a challenge.
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by cr8tvt: 9:20am On Jun 29, 2018
Slimdoug:

I can understand you dilemma here. This is too serious to be happening in modern banking. However, this sort of experience is not limited to a bank in Nigeria. If you ask around, you will hear different tales from different customers of different banks. I however suggest you make an official complaint to Ecobank via the ombudsman 01-2260450, 07005000000 or chat them up on their twitter handle @ecobank_nigeria
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by Paund: 9:32am On Jun 29, 2018
Slimdoug:

Someone has suggested you lodge a formal complaint through their ombudsman and twitter handle. I have had the Ecobank ombudsman experience and it was amazing. But I will like to add that while doing so, make sure you tell them the branch where all these happened. I want to believe Ecobank will like to go beyond solving the issue by correcting such internal disservice and prevent it from happening again.
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by afolakemi: 10:56am On Jun 29, 2018
Slimdoug:

Modified: For those asking me to contact the bank again, I think I've given up on the bank already. The last straw was when the bank called me on Thursday threatening to close the account if I don't deposit in it ASAP. I was trying to explain why I may not deposit in it soon since the main transaction that prompted me to open the account in the first place has already been done with another bank while waiting for Ecobank to activate my account; and then boom! they cut the call on me. That's when I knew I was dealing with an incompetent bank, and that was it for me.

SMH for them, last time I had an incident, they responded to me via this email: ENGcontactcentre@ecobank.com . You can try it too.
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by zionzone: 11:19am On Jun 29, 2018
Slimdoug:

Wow sorry for your experience. Abeg which location did it happen? Seriously you need to escalate this thing to their officials so it wont happen to another person.
Re: My Experience: Why Is Ecobank So Classless? by najite2: 11:45am On Jun 29, 2018
Slimdoug:

No time, me I don’t even bother going to branches, I don’t have time for Nigerian peoples attitude. I opened and manage my account on Ecobank Mobile App, and it work for me sha.

(1) (Reply)

Mini Importation Business 2 Days Professional Training / Pls What Bussiness Can I Do With #100 Pls Nigerian I Need Your Serious Advice / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.