Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,983 members, 7,852,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:59 PM

Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? (496 Views)

Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? / Sold Sold !!! In Lekki Phase1 ( Old Building with Photos). Great Location / Apartments To Let In Abeokuta Ogun State Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by tolajay: 1:58pm On Jul 01, 2018
It's a known fact that Nigeria has a huge housing deficit due to several reasons.

But one would think that a simple/smart way to solve the problem is to develop moderate and affordable housing plans, one of which is the sales of apartment as practiced in the UK. So, instead of everyone jostling to buy a whole house, individuals can simply buy an apartment in a building and be rested off housing issues. This will also reduce the propensity to stealing and corruption towards buying houses almost everywhere.

I see the Lagos state government is trying to do this, but I am not sure of the status and success of the scheme.

For those who are more conversant with the housing sector, why is the sales of apartment not a major option for reducing housing issues in Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by junbi(f): 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2018
Good question
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by Jethrolite(m): 2:07pm On Jul 01, 2018
No mortgage financing to make it a viable business and there are no laws to promote harmonious cohabitation in a building with different owners.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by Coldplay007(f): 2:34pm On Jul 01, 2018
tolajay:
It's a known fact that Nigeria has a huge housing deficit due to several reasons.

But one would think that a simple/smart way to solve the problem is to develop moderate and affordable housing plans, one of which is the sales of apartment as practiced in the UK. So, instead of everyone jostling to buy a whole house, individuals can simply buy an apartment in a building and be rested off housing issues. This will also reduce the propensity to stealing and corruption towards buying houses almost everywhere.

I see the Lagos state government is trying to do this, but I am not sure of the status and success of the scheme.

For those who are more conversant with the housing sector, why is the sales of apartment not a major option for reducing housing issues in Nigeria?

Apartments are sold in Lagos oo.. not just by Lagos govt. Most of the available apartments are sold by private developers and believe me, they are not cheap..
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by Alejoc(m): 2:42pm On Jul 01, 2018
I believe many didn't even know about the possibility of that..... What we know here are bacha angry
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by hisgrace090: 3:01pm On Jul 01, 2018
Jethrolite:
No mortgage financing to make it a viable business and there are no laws to promote harmonious cohabitation in a building with different owners.

You made a valid point!
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by periAdept: 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2018
this one is for sale at an estate in adeniyi Jones ikeja
3br and 4br townhouses

*** can't attach the pics. don't know why.
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by mgbadike81: 4:48pm On Jul 01, 2018
tolajay:

from my research online, I understand that most people in the UK live in government built council homes with many opting to buy their homes on a mortgage after three years through the right to buy law. In the zoo called Nigeria, the government doesn't build the homes, their don't provide mortgage or offer incentives to the banks to do so, there's no appropriate modern laws nor are the courts functional enough to arbitrate in business disputes, the government doesn't care about your welfare which is why Nigeria have the highest cement and vehicle prices in the ECOWAS region etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by tolajay: 9:18pm On Jul 01, 2018
Apparently, private investments are poised on profit making against social goods.

How many people can afford a 3 bedroom of 15-20 million at a go?

My reference here is government financed or managed apartments which are somewhat subsided.

This country isn't progressing on any positive frontier.

Coldplay007:

Apartments are sold in Lagos oo.. not just by Lagos govt. Most of the available apartments are sold by private developers and believe me, they are not cheap..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by tolajay: 9:45pm On Jul 01, 2018
Sad realities.

We never start for this country oo.

mgbadike81:
from my research online, I understand that most people in the UK live in government built council homes with many opting to buy their homes on a mortgage after three years through the right to buy law. In the zoo called Nigeria, the government doesn't build the homes, their don't provide mortgage or offer incentives to the banks to do so, there's no appropriate modern laws nor are the courts functional enough to arbitrate in business disputes, the government doesn't care about your welfare which is why Nigeria have the highest cement and vehicle prices in the ECOWAS region etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by Realrealtor: 1:27pm On Jul 02, 2018
Apartments are sold! Anyone who wants to buy a flat should hit me up.
Re: Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? by tolajay: 8:26am On Jul 25, 2018
I hope it’s not one of those pricey, hard to pay up apartments.

By the way, drop the details of your partment sales offer here.

Realrealtor:
Apartments are sold! Anyone who wants to buy a flat should hit me up.

(1) (Reply)

600sqms Of Value In The New Lagos / Investment Opportunities Around Abuja Centenary City! / Custom Made Furnitures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.