Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why Going Back To Your Parents Home After POP Is A Disastrous Idea - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why Going Back To Your Parents Home After POP Is A Disastrous Idea (1002 Views)

Ex Corper, Nathaniel Nendi Dies 6 Days After POP / 2018 Batch B Stream 1 Pop Is 20th Of June / How Can I Get My Nysc Cert, Travelling Abroad February And My Pop Is June (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Going Back To Your Parents Home After POP Is A Disastrous Idea by ugofwesh: 10:32pm On Jul 02, 2018
Going back Home After Passing Out Parade?
It’s not really a bad idea going back to your parents House after POP. What is wrong is remaining there or planning to stay there for a relatively long period of time.
David Oyedepo once said life is in stages and men are in sizes. Life during Nysc is a stage of life whereas life after Nysc is a stage in life that requires acceptance of Full responsibility. Thus the need to become self reliant self-dependent cannot be overemphasized.
I strongly believe that every man (irrespective of gender) must take an active step in shaping their lives.

Here are some candid advise/tips to you:
1. First of all discover your self and set tangible goals. – what will you be doing while at home? What do you really want for yourself? What direction do you want to steer your life? When do you plan to leave your parents house? You don’t need money to answer all these questions I guess.
Everything might not go according to plan, but the most important thing is to have a plan. Having a plan sets the compass for what you really want to do and how to go about it. A plan drives you and gives you purpose, something to really clinge on to after Nysc.

2. Move close to opportunities: If your parents aren’t living in a place that gives you an advantage to opportunities by proximity, then the earlier you migrate the better for you. Look for relatives who you can visit and spend some time with in cities and towns across the nation. You never know where something good will come out from. At a point staying in the house with your parents for too long will make them not to value you anymore. This then brings insults and increased pressure on you getting a good job as soon as possible. This could be one of the most scary phase of a graduate who is yet to get balanced especially immediately after Nysc.

3. Learn or improve on a skill: If you have some skills at the moment, take some time to improve and perfect them over the next few months. If you haven’t developed any, now is the best time to begin. Never say Never. Look for an entrepreneurship skill like tailoring, soap making etc and learn as soon as possible. The rate of Unemployment in the country isn’t far-fetched, thus it is pertinent to learn a skill to enable create revenue for yourself as this will help you pass time in order to remove your mind from so many unnecessary pressures that might change your mood.
The bottom line is… have something you are good at. That will be the basis on which most people would likely relate with you. You must not be a liability under any circumstance.
Your skills might be what will open the ultimate door for you. You never can tell.

4. Network: Yes, network! Meet new people at every slight opportunity you have. In church, fairs, trainings, general and business conferences and development meetings, interactive forums and what have you.
My brother will humorously say go out and meet new people. Life before and during Nysc was just watching movies, gist with friends and lazing around without any serious thing doing. However, this is life after Nysc and must be taken seriously in order to survive in this harsh Nigerian climate.
Now, your attendance is not as important as how you introduce yourself. When you meet people, introduce yourself by your skills, and what you can do and not as a graduate seeking employment. People will naturally avoid you if the feel you will become one added liability to them, but tend to draw close if the find the relationship to be mutually beneficial.

5. Maintain a positive attitude: It doesn’t matter if you get a job or something Doing next week or next month. It is very important to be positive, stay hopeful, wear a smile (always) and try to be happy.
Infact, your positive attitude would open any door for you even before your credentials or certificates would. Keep on being positive because this period is the most challenging period of the life of any Nigerian youth, the more reason to stay mentally focused. For more of this articles go to http://nyscsocial.com/2018/07/02/why-going-back-home-after-passing-out-parade-is-a-bad-idea/
Re: Why Going Back To Your Parents Home After POP Is A Disastrous Idea by HARDDON: 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2018
op, as a guy, immediately you gained admission, packed your bags and rolled off to school, Your life began and you aint coming back home as a child to stay and be fed free food, you only come back as a young man to visit.
So waiting till after NYSC to realize this and look for multiple streams of income is a total disaster.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Going Back To Your Parents Home After POP Is A Disastrous Idea by Mekenz(m): 1:48pm On Jul 03, 2018
I concur at what you just write at oops,myself Immediately one of the federal institution,that I applied for,gave me admission,deep down my heart, I already knew that,i won't be coming back to that house again to stay, I only came periodically for a visit.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How To Go About Cancelling Nysc Relocation? / Corpers From Auchi Poly Chat Room / Msc Admission Before End Of Service Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.