Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work (441 Views)

How To Publish With Parresia Publishers / Calling All Publishers( And Even Authors ) . . . / How To Publish With Farafina Book Publishers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work by gaby(m): 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2018
Hi guys,

Please I need someone to guide me through on something relating to publishing. My book is about to be approved and adopted by schools and I obviously would be needing to work with a publisher.

Not sure how this works yet and I'm doing all I can to thread with caution knowing how dubious folks can get. I need someone to advise me on steps to take , what to look out and ask for while negotiating so as not to end up been taken advantage of.

Anyone knowledgeable on this should kindly give me a heads up.

Thanks guys..

Monsieurcoder get in touch pls, lost contacts
Re: Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 03, 2018
If the publishing deal is in Nigeria, hold back your work.

Get it registered outside first under foreign intellectual property law e.g. copyright. Acquire an international one and not a national one. Then you could bring it to the Nigerian demographic.

Nigerian publishing companies can duplicate and distribute your work without permission and rip you off millions of royalties you are entitled to as there is no royalty system that works in their world.

They will begin selling your work to schools, tv stations and bookstands and giving you nothing off the proceeeds. A lot of people at this moment will seek your permission to share your work. Not all will have good intentions

Get your work translated into 4 languages mainly French, Spanish, Mandarin and Arabic. And acquire a digital license. Though this may not be easy.

Once you succeed in the translation part, then you are ready to pitch to international markets.

If you forward a link to an excerpt of your book to more than 100 publishing companies out in the west, you will get at least 3 people interested in your book. If lucky, a scriptwriter could be interested.

To send to multiple emails at once, use any mass sender software. Ya tu sabe navigar este parte por que si recuerdo, tu tienes experencia en tu pasado relacionado con eso.

Use wix or any other means to upload your excerpts online

Suerte!
Re: Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work by gaby(m): 12:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
WUdec:

Get it registered outside first under foreign intellectual property law e.g. copyright. Acquire an international one and not a national one. Then you could bring it to the Nigerian demographic.

Nigerian publishing companies can duplicate and distribute your work without permission and rip you off millions of royalties you are entitled to as there is no royalty system that works in their world.

They will begin selling your work to schools, tv stations and bookstands and giving you nothing off the proceeeds. A lot of people at this moment will seek your permission to share your work. Not all will have good intentions

Get your work translated into 4 languages mainly French, Spanish, Mandarin and Arabic. And acquire a digital license. Though this may not be easy.

Once you succeed in the translation part, then you are ready to pitch to international markets.

If you forward a link to an excerpt of your book to more than 100 publishing companies out in the west, you will get at least 3 people interested in your book. If lucky, a scriptwriter could be interested.

To send to multiple emails at once, use any mass sender software. Ya tu sabe navigar este parte por que si recuerdo, tu tienes experencia en tu pasado relacionado con eso.

Suerte!

Correct man...I've been stalling on this and now I see how much of a sense it makes.
Re: Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work by gaby(m): 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
WUdec:

Suerte!

Re: Urgent Help Needed With Publishers And How They Work by gaby(m): 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2018
WUdec:

Suerte!

Did you a mail.

(1) (Reply)

The Darkest Side Of Love - Episode 3 / I Want A Ring / Excerpts From My Forthcoming Book (Read and Criticize)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.