Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,070 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:59 PM

I Want To Do My Internship Abroad - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Do My Internship Abroad (12496 Views)

. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by bimbor(m): 11:07pm On Mar 24, 2007
Hi all,please i'm a graduating medical student and i'm interested in doing my internship abroad and i'll be finishing by July this year,does anyone know where and how i can apply?
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by babasin(m): 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2007
check Iowa and Nebraska web pages. They are looking for Nigerian Dcotors.
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by naijafresh: 2:09pm On Mar 25, 2007
Hi
I work in the UK as a Dr
You can not do your internship abroad unless you pass the regulatory exams such as USMLE for the US and PLAB exam for the UK
This is the same for most countries in Europe and Australia

I did the PLAB before i was allowed to do my internship in the UK. I would advise you to do the USMLE rather than the PLAB if at all you are planning to work abroad as the job and political climate in the UK is not looking very good for foreign graduates
I happen to have UK citizenship so it was slightly easy for me in the beginning

Do not let me discourage you though, many still come over and succeed but you must work very hard

Hope this helps

Oz
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by Consultant(f): 2:13pm On Mar 25, 2007
By Internship, I am assuming you mean your residency right?  The process in the US is time consuming and expensive, requiring you to take about four exams and then send in applications to tons of schools (seriously, I have a friend who applied to about 50 schools) because the method of placing students in schools is really convoluted. These websites will provide you more information. All the best.

http://www.aippg.info/
http://www.ecfmg.org/
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by kykiej(f): 6:43pm On Mar 25, 2007
Hello.I dont really know about doin just ur internship here,though from what i know, u dont have to do ur internship to practice in the us.what u could do is try get an outside posting ,since u are still in school,if u can afford it, cos this could help u alot in securing a residency program in the us in the long run.and would probably make visa issues a little easier.U could check out this website,there is alot of info there, for foreign Drs. www.prep4usmle.com/forum
wishin u alll the best
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 26, 2007
kykiej:

Hello.I don't really know about doin just your internship here,though from what i know, u don't have to do your internship to practice in the us.what u could do is try get an outside posting ,since u are still in school,if u can afford it, because this could help u alot in securing a residency program in the us in the long run.and would probably make visa issues a little easier.You could check out this website,there is alot of info there, for foreign Drs. www.prep4usmle.com/forum
wishin u alll the best

says who?
You must a residency in the US before practicing anywhere in the US,where do people come up with all these tales?
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by daprince: 4:52am On Mar 26, 2007
From what I know, it is a waste of time to even think that u wouldn't take the USLME and do ur residency here (that is if one happens to pass it as a foreigner cuz it's not just passing it, U gotta do REALLY good for u to be considered for residency) cuz no hospital would take even a first look at u in the first place. My advice to u Bimbor is to graduate, gain a little bit of experience back in naija (if u don't have the means to come here immediately) and then ready ur butt for the different stages of the USMLE. The truth is, if u get here and don't do better than those who went to med school here, u might just end up being a nurse. So girl, make sure u are getting the right stuff before nagging ur mind about coming here for residency.
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by naijacutee(f): 4:42pm On Mar 26, 2007
Basically, I'll put this here for anyone else interested in similar things, looking at this thread. A friend sent it to me, but it isn't useful to me so here goes :

Please forward to folks who may be interested in
summer internships, coops or full-time positions in EE and CS at
Texas Instruments. Have them send resume to seydou@gatech. edu and
NOT to me.

* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (Those with a 3.5 and higher have
the best chance)
* Must be a full-time student in a electrical/computer
engineering
or computer science curriculum
* International students must be a graduate student in ECE

If you know of anybody who is interested tell him/her to send a
resume to seydou@gatech. edu.
Also if possible mention whether they are going to NSBE or not.

thanks

Seydou
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by cychou(f): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2007
I'm in the UK at the moment, graduated last year. To get into house Job here is a No No these days
-they've changed immigration laws. Before they can consider foreign doctors, they have to allow British/EEU students to match first, then whatever post remains will be advertised for some time to allow British/EEU students to apply for them. Then if there are any post left, u as a foreign doctor can apply for them. then u get the work permit, renewable each year, and your post is still not guaranteed in 1 yr
-You have to take the PLAB, Plab 2 is not for new graduates, apart for if you are extremely good. Because u need to know clinical knowledge/practice, emergency procedures (intubations/cardiac ressus/ECG reading), You need to finish your house job in Naija b4 writing that one
-There are loads of foreign doctors here who have finished their house job in naija, they take the PLAB exams, but cannot get a training program (senior House job, ) and they do Locum work, meaning they go from hospitals to hospitals when they are needed for a few days or more, some can get the job permanently. but they are not training Jobs, so you do not progress as a doctor, you are stuck to being a Senior House officer, but they make loads of money.U got to know what ur priorities are.
-I got a Job (residency) in the USA starting in July this year. I had to take the USMLE step 1, 2 CS/CK. Step 2 CK is only given in USA, so u got to have visa to go and take it. it's easier to get a job if you have: Good step scores, 1 year US clinical experience, and the greencard. Some hospitals will do with 3-6 months clinical experience, but from what I know, if you don't have any clincial experience in the USA, it will be hard. So while you are in the USA to take your Step 2 CS, you can do an externship, but it has to be one that will give you patient contact, or else it's worthless,
Oh! have I mentioned that the Green card is important? not only to help you get into a program, but also if u get into a program that will sponsor u for a J1 (training visa), you have to leave the USA right after your residency, which sucks, 'caus you may want to stay there for a few years to make the real money as a consultant (100 000$/yr +), residents make (around 40 000$/yr)
Ok deary, Hope this helps!!!
for USA:WWW.ecfmg.ORG
for UK:www.GMC-UK.org

1 Like

Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by Drn: 1:30pm On Mar 29, 2007
Sweetie,
Are you perhaps looking for something in the T&T OR U.S. Virgin Islands?
I understand your plight, trust me, being in the medical profession sucks these days.
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by naijafresh: 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2007
Life in the UK as a foreign Dr is indeed tough!

I know a lot of people who have been floating around for years and i mean years with no job no interview no prospects thats why i said earlier the US is your best bet

If anyone insists on coming to the UK they must be prepared to struggle

There is a new system just kicking off in the UK for training Drs, this is still in its infancy and so has lots of teething problems
This is even making life difficult for UK and EC graduates not to mention foreign Drs
There has even been a protest march concerning this issue in London

I am happy to advise anyone who wants to come to the UK after all this, though i would advise you to steer clear of the UK for now.

I am in the UK because of family ties etc I consider myself lucky to be making progress here and have almost finished my training, but if i had to make the choice again would probably go to the states. i would have finished my  training a long time ago instead of having to do twice as much and be twice as good as everyone around me

Good Luck
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by jeakhator: 7:57am On Jun 05, 2015
GOodday house. Pls am a doctor in nigeria. Just finished my intenship. Preparing for plab now. Pls can some one tell me if I can use plab to get a job in australia and also other countries that accept plab. Thks
Re: I Want To Do My Internship Abroad by Ichie007: 2:24pm On Dec 19, 2015
naijafresh:
Life in the UK as a foreign Dr is indeed tough!

I know a lot of people who have been floating around for years and i mean years with no job no interview no prospects thats why i said earlier the US is your best bet

If anyone insists on coming to the UK they must be prepared to struggle

There is a new system just kicking off in the UK for training Drs, this is still in its infancy and so has lots of teething problems
This is even making life difficult for UK and EC graduates not to mention foreign Drs
There has even been a protest march concerning this issue in London

I am happy to advise anyone who wants to come to the UK after all this, though i would advise you to steer clear of the UK for now.

I am in the UK because of family ties etc I consider myself lucky to be making progress here and have almost finished my training, but if i had to make the choice again would probably go to the states. i would have finished my  training a long time ago instead of having to do twice as much and be twice as good as everyone around me

Good Luck

Sir,
Pls, is the future still bleak or pretty much the same for IMG's in the UK. Your impute will be highly appreciated as I intend taking a decision ASAP.

(1) (Reply)

Win $5,000 At The Techpoint Africa Fintech Summit Hackathon / Federal Civil Servants To Go On Strike Over Unpaid Promotion Arrears / Where To Find ADULT EDUCATION In Lagos: Enter Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.