Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,627 members, 7,823,758 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

"Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban (4765 Views)

Polygamy Is Not Sinful Before God, Only Pastors Are Barred - Presbyterian Pastor / First Presbyterian Church Of Bellefonte Holds Last Service / Flood Sacks Presbyterian Church In Abia As Members Worship With Umbrellas -VIDEO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 10:27pm On Jul 07, 2018
Why did I stop believing in God? The shortest answer would be that I ran out of excuses for him. Pentecostal Christianity stresses that God is actively involved in the believers’ lives, answering their prayers, communicating with them, and changing events around them. As a teenager, I loved this idea. I was raised in traditional Catholicism, where God, while powerful, was very distant. I always thought that if there is a God, I wanted to have close contact with him – I couldn’t imagine any other way of living a meaningful life.But the dull Catholic liturgy, repeated week after week, did not provide me that. So when I found myself at a charismatic, joyous Pentecostal meeting, I knew immediately that what I had discovered was a religion for me.

On that very day, I was “baptized in the Holy Spirit” and started “speaking in tongues”. I never attended a Catholic mass again (except for sporadic family weddings, christenings and funerals). I found a God who felt so close I could almost touch him, who was personally interested in what was happening with me, and who seemed to personally speak to me via the Bible and the “quiet voice” I kept hearing in my head. It was the fulfillment of my childhood dreams.

And then came the excuses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 10:29pm On Jul 07, 2018

When you sign up for a new insurance policy, reading it may be very reassuring. You feel protected. It seems that every unfortunate event in your life will be covered. But attached to the policy is also the fine print – an endless list of clauses that allow the insurance company to bail out on coverage in numerous (and often quite surprising) situations. Reading the fine print can leave you very disillusioned, and you may start wondering if the policy actually covers anything at all. (That’s why most of the people skip reading it altogether.

Pentecostal Christianity offers exactly this kind of “policy” for your life. It is full of promises about what God is supposed to do for you, both in this life and in the next. He will answer your prayers. He will guide you. He will protect you. He will give you wisdom, strength and an abundance of everything that you will ever need. All of these promises are more or less directly derived from the Bible, which is treated as inspired and literally infallible.

But when you live this kind of life for a few years, you start noticing that more often than not, these promises fail to materialize. You begin collecting answered prayers, because they are so rare. You notice that bad things happen to you as frequently as to your non-believing friends. You make bad decisions thinking that God told you to make them, only to realize that you must have heard him wrong. You cannot turn a blind eye anymore to prophecies that failed to become fulfilled, to miraculous healings that were promised but never happened, to people for whom you prayed so hard but were never “saved”, and dozens of other situations where the Bible promises you something but you never get it.

What do you do then? You start building excuses, the fine print of your Pentecostal personal theology.

To be continued... …

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Chepos1(m): 11:00pm On Jul 07, 2018
Another yabaleft candidate loading. shocked

2 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Katier00(f): 11:04pm On Jul 07, 2018
You weren't a good Catholic that is why you didn't encounter God

3 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by thorpido(m): 11:06pm On Jul 07, 2018
There were some people in Jesus' lifetime that believed in Him initially because they heard His words and saw His acts.
Along the line,they stopped believing and turned back.Just reminds one of Jesus' parable of the sower.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Timfreds(m): 11:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
My brother serving God is an obligation you must fulfill for your Maker. You have no choice about it, which you will discover later too late, when death confront you.
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Homeboiy: 11:23pm On Jul 07, 2018
OK... That's your opinion n belief

1 Like

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Martinez19(m): 11:48pm On Jul 07, 2018
Chepos1:
Shut up jare! Read before you criticise, the guy made valid points. His reasons were exactly the same with mine on why I left christianity. TGIAAA

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 2:43am On Jul 08, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Muttleylaff do you see how weak and totally lame the excuses given were?

Do you also sense the envy in this OP?

I put up numerous threads on atheist conversions and suddenly he wishes to put up one on an alleged theist conversion. Just that the theist was not well grounded in anything to begin with but signed on so he can have his problems fixed and expected God to do it the way he wanted and not according to his will and way.

He must have had God in a bottle. smiley

Do you mind packing yourself up and getting out of my threads.

my threads are not for your edification.

i share because there might be people like hin out there too scared to question the nonsense they think they're too deep into. I am sorry if it hurts you but that's your own cup of coffee, many more are coming and I will never stop sharing them even if it rubs some of you the wrong way.

Deconversion is personal to each person and the reasons for their personal experiences and choices always come from a place of PERSONAL SEARCH based on their PERSONAL SITUATIONS.

What is applicable to him may not be so for you and really doesn't matter if it is or not.

Bottom line is that it is applicable to someone out there even if it isn't you.

HE WAS ONCE AN CHRISTIAN EVEN PASTORED BUT DUMPED CHRISTIANITY FASTER THAN HOT COALS WHEN TRUTH ABOUT HOW ABSURD IT IS.

That's the focus of this thread

You on the other hand can take your bitter self out of my thread and use the bitterness loaded in you to cook bitter leaf soup.

Another's Joy irks you, another's peace irks you, another's life irks you, another's testimony irks you. Profound problems you are yet to remedy about yourself yet you wish to criticize the one who is now overflowing with Joy, Peace, life and sharing his experiences.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 4:11am On Jul 08, 2018
All of these dilemmas would be easily resolved if only God spoke clearly about something. This is what I spent countless years praying for – that God would answer some simple question of mine. What does he think of me doing this or that? What does he want me to do in this or that situation? Why am I supposed to waste years on guessing, when he could resolve everything in seconds? I spent nights and days pleading him to answer just one question, say just one word. Anything would do. But he kept silent.

In the end, the one thing that did it for me was observing, as a pastor, how Christians lead their lives when they think nobody is watching. Because if there was one fundamental promise of Christianity that I kept sticking to after years of disappointment, it was that God is changing people’s lives. I could live with God not giving me my daily bread and not delivering me from evil – after all, it could always be because of his perfect heavenly plan that I am just too limited to comprehend. But the one thing that I thought the Bible is clear about is that he is supposed to change people for the better. Maybe not instantly, maybe not completely (not in this life anyway), but by the power of Holy Spirit people should be transformed into the glory of Christ, becoming better, more compassionate, more moral, more Christ-like. But nothing like that happens – in church, they just learn how to masquerade better. This was the final straw, the ultimate promise of the Bible that turned out to be false too. The whole house of theological fine print finally collapsed.

Leaving faith in personal God was an unimaginable relief. For the first time in my life, the world started to make sense without retorting to hundreds of self-contradicting excuses. For the first time, I found a worldview that matches the world as it is, not as I wanted it to be. I don’t have to fight facts anymore. I don’t have to find excuses for God anymore. This whole big layer of spirituality, which was supposed to be comforting, turned out to be simply confusing. The world is much more beautiful when you are actually able to understand it.

Source

4 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by PointZerom: 4:28am On Jul 08, 2018
Even if there's no God, I will serve and worship God.

3 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by adeniyisamuel59(m): 5:24am On Jul 08, 2018
Eleyi gidi gan o, obvious reality has been stated but do we really have options. We are limited by our nature, whether you believe in the existence of God or not, death is that fear that will prompt you to give a second thought about God. Job 13:15 said, even if he slay me, I will trust in him. He did not say we would not be confronted with tribulations but we should be be good cheers for he has overcome the world. It takes his grace to completely believe in him in the viscisitude of life, may his grace keep us to the end.

4 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by MuttleyLaff: 5:47am On Jul 08, 2018
Chepos1:

Martinez19:
Shut up jare!
You tool, wee you kip choiryet

Martinez19:
Read before you criticise, the guy made valid points.
What valid points did he make

Martinez19:
His reasons were exactly the same with mine on why I left christianity
What are your reasons that are exactly the same as that article's author why he left christianity

Martinez19:
T G IAAA
The G in there, doesn't quite fit.
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Butterflyleo: 6:00am On Jul 08, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

You tool, wee you kip choiryet

What valid points did he make

U,ffnghhudj,h,What are your reasons that are exactly the same as that article's author why he left christianity

the G in there, doesn't quite fit.
T[b]G  [/b]IAAA the G in there, doesn't quite fit.

I put up numerous threads on atheist conversions and suddenly he wishes to put up one on an alleged theist conversion. Just that the theist was not well grounded in anything to begin with but signed on so he can have his problems fixed and expected God to do it the way he wanted and not according to his will and way.

2 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:10am On Jul 08, 2018
Katier00:
You weren't a good Catholic that is why you didn't encounter God

Interesting take ma'am, would you be so kind to elucidate on this?

1 Like

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:13am On Jul 08, 2018
thorpido:
There were some people in Jesus' lifetime that believed in Him initially because they heard His words and saw His acts.
Along the line,they stopped believing and turned back.Just reminds one of Jesus' parable of the sower.

Maybe they realised he was a fraud after he left them?

1 Like

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Butterflyleo: 6:13am On Jul 08, 2018
ALL CHRISTIANS WOULD DO WELL TO LEARN TO AVOID SUCH THREADS AS THOSE OPENED BY ATHEISTS. THEY DONT WANT TO LEARN AND INDEED CAN NEVER LEARN FROM YOU ABOUT GOD. ALL THEY SEEK IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO RIDICULE YOU AND YOUR FAITH.

BE WISE AS A SERPENT MY BRETHREN. IGNORE SUCH THREADS AS THESE

NOTICE THE NUMBER OF ANTI CHRISTIAN THREADS THAT WILL FLOOD THE RELIGION SECTION TODAY BEING SUNDAY BUT WE WILL COUNTER ALL.

ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE FIGHTING YOU AND ALL YOU STAND FOR.

WHEN YOU SEE SUCH THREADS, DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO COMMENT ON THEM BUT RATHER IGNORE THEM AND MOVE ON TO MORE PROFITABLE THINGS AS YOU FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH.

LET HE WHO HAS EARS, HEAR WHAT THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS SAYING

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:14am On Jul 08, 2018
Timfreds:
My brother serving God is an obligation you must fulfill for your Maker. You have no choice about it, which you will discover later too late, when death confront you.

Argumentum ad Baculum one of the numerous tricks religions use to keep people in line
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:16am On Jul 08, 2018
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:18am On Jul 08, 2018
Homeboiy:
OK... That's your opinion n belief
Fair enough
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:22am On Jul 08, 2018
adeniyisamuel59:
Eleyi gidi gan o, obvious reality has been stated but do we really have options. We are limited by our nature, whether you believe in the existence of God or not, death is that fear that will prompt you to give a second thought about God. Job 13:15 said, even if he slay me, I will trust in him. He did not say we would not be confronted with tribulations but we should be be good cheers for he has overcome the world. It takes his grace to completely believe in him in the viscisitude of life, may his grace keep us to the end.

Pleban already addressed this,

Some excuses are found in the Bible itself. Even more are just passed around in countless sermons and other elements of Christian culture. God will answer your prayers? Sure, except when he won’t because you don’t have enough faith. Or because they are not consistent with his will. Or because his perfect time hasn’t happened yet. Or because you have selfish motives for praying. Or because of countless other reasons, often made up on the spot. God will protect you from evil? Sure, except when he won’t because he wants to teach you a lesson. Or because he has different plans for you and you just don’t understand them. God will heal the sick, feed the hungry, save the lost? Sure, except when he won’t. The fine print keeps accumulating, up to the point when you are not really sure what to expect anymore.

6 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 6:31am On Jul 08, 2018
Butterflyleo:

i share because there might be people like hin out there too scared to question the nonsense they think they're too deep into. I am sorry if it hurts you but that's your own cup of coffee, many more are coming and I will never stop sharing them even if it rubs some of you the wrong way.

Deconversion is personal to each person and the reasons for their personal experiences and choices always come from a place of PERSONAL SEARCH based on their PERSONAL SITUATIONS.

What is applicable to him may not be so for you and really doesn't matter if it is or not.

HE WAS ONCE AN CHRISTIAN EVEN PASTORED BUT DUMPED CHRISTIANITY FASTER THAN HOT COALS WHEN TRUTH ABOUT HOW ABSURD IT IS.

You on the other hand can take your bitter self out of my thread and use the bitterness loaded in you to cook bitter leaf soup.

Another's Joy irks you, another's peace irks you, another's life irks you, another's testimony irks you. Profound problems you are yet to remedy about yourself yet you wish to criticize the one who is now overflowing with Joy, Peace, life and sharing his experiences.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 6:34am On Jul 08, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Butterflyleo:
ALL CHRISTIANS WOULD DO WELL TO LEARN TO AVOID SUCH THREADS AS THOSE OPENED BY ATHEISTS. THEY DONT WANT TO LEARN AND INDEED CAN NEVER LEARN FROM YOU ABOUT GOD. ALL THEY SEEK IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO RIDICULE YOU AND YOUR FAITH.

BE WISE AS A SERPENT MY BRETHREN. IGNORE SUCH THREADS AS THESE

NOTICE THE NUMBER OF ANTI CHRISTIAN THREADS THAT WILL FLOOD THE RELIGION SECTION TODAY BEING SUNDAY BUT WE WILL COUNTER ALL.

ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE FIGHTING YOU AND ALL YOU STAND FOR.

WHEN YOU SEE SUCH THREADS, DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO COMMENT ON THEM BUT RATHER IGNORE THEM AND MOVE ON TO MORE PROFITABLE THINGS AS YOU FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH.

LET HE WHO HAS EARS, HEAR WHAT THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS SAYING

Take your own advice and stop being a hypocrite, practice what you preach by avoiding my threads

Keep liking and sharing your own posts though, it would make it appear a lot more sensible!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 6:41am On Jul 08, 2018
jFrankNorfleet:

jFrankNorfleet:

Take your own advice and stop being a hypocrite, practice what you preach by avoiding my threads

Keep liking and sharing your own posts though, it would make it appear a lot more sensible!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! You expertly edited the post he directed at me, hits the spot beautifully

8 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Butterflyleo: 6:42am On Jul 08, 2018
My Brethren, the above is proof that this thread was done out of envy AND IT SHOWS HOW CHILDISH THESE SO CALLED ATHEISTS ARE AND HOW THEY ALREADY FEEL THREATENED. grin cheesy

The OP is definitely a fan of mine in guest mode grin

Muttleylaff and the rest of my brethren,

He went straight to a quote I made on another thread to post it here asking me to take my own advice. Shows he is a monitoring spirit of my posts cheesy

The below shows when I made the post and it was directed at one of his atheist colleagues who has also been on this thread.

Butterflyleo: 9:55am On Jul 07

These threads are not for your edification but for the edification of my brethren in Christ.

I am sorry if they hurt you but my bible tells me that "WE OVERCAME HIM BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB AND BY THE WORDS OF OUR TESTIMONIES".

We know the power in testimonies and that is why we will never stop sharing them even if it rubs some of you the wrong way.

Salvation is personal to each person and the reasons for their personal experiences and choices always come from a place of PERSONAL SEARCH based on their PERSONAL SITUATIONS.

HE WAS ONCE AN ATHEIST LIKE YOU BUT DUMPED ATHEISM FASTER THAN HOT COALS WHEN TRUTH HIT HIM.

That's the focus of this thread as it ministers healing and edifies those who identify with it for good.

Another's Joy irks you, another's peace irks you, another's life irks you, another's testimony irks you. Profound problems you are yet to remedy about yourself yet you wish to criticize the one who is now overflowing with Joy, Peace, life and sharing his good news.

Take a hike.

It surely hurts them when we theists ignore them.

Bravo my brethren let's keep up the good work of ignoring them and further ignoring them.

They can watch from the sidelines while we triumph in our faith walk.

Wow I have an atheist fan grin cheesy

He had to edit it too and took out the part about overcoming with the blood of the lamb and the power of testimonies. Lmao

I am soooo outta here. Life is good and God is good and today is loaded with Joyful praise . grin cheesy grin

THEY AINT SEEN NOTHING YET.

1 Like

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by jFrankNorfleet: 6:46am On Jul 08, 2018
Butterflyleo:
My Brethren, the above is proof that this thread was done out of envy.

The OP is definitely a fan of mine in guest mode grin

Muttleylaff and the rest of my brethren,

He went straight to a quote I made on another thread to post it here asking me to take my own advice. Shows he is a monitoring spirit of my posts cheesy

The below shows when I made the post and it was directed at one of his atheist colleagues who has also been on this thread.

It surely hurts them when we theists ignore them.

Bravo my brethren let's keep up the good work of ignoring them and further ignoring them.

They can watch from the sidelines while we triumph in our faith walk.

Wow I have an atheist fan grin cheesy

He had to edit it too and took out the part about overcoming with the blood of the lamb and the power of testimonies. Lmao
Wow! groundbreaking!!

You're doing a good job ignoring this thread

Now like and share your post with your alternate monickers as usual

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 7:16am On Jul 08, 2018
jFrankNorfleet:
Wow! groundbreaking!!
Don't mind the hypocrite

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by dalaman: 7:32am On Jul 08, 2018
jFrankNorfleet:

Wow! groundbreaking!!

That mad man don kolo finish. He's clearly suffering from something . Always liking and sharing his post grin. Who does that?

He can't ever live up to his words. He says atheist should be ignored but always makes post about atheist. Our resident liar!

4 Likes

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by hopefulLandlord: 7:53am On Jul 08, 2018
dalaman:

That mad man don kolo finish. He's clearly suffering from something . Always liking and sharing his post grin. Who does that?

He can't ever live up to his words. He says atheist should be ignored but always makes post about atheist. Our resident liar!

if you think a bit deep about it, What he really wants is for other Christians to "Leave atheists for him to handle"

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Martinez19(m): 7:57am On Jul 08, 2018
jFrankNorfleet:
Some excuses are found in the Bible itself. Even more are just passed around in countless sermons and other elements of Christian culture. God will answer your prayers? Sure, except when he won’t because you don’t have enough faith. Or because they are not consistent with his will. Or because his perfect time hasn’t happened yet. Or because you have selfish motives for praying. Or because of countless other reasons, often made up on the spot. God will protect you from evil? Sure, except when he won’t because he wants to teach you a lesson. Or because he has different plans for you and you just don’t understand them. God will heal the sick, feed the hungry, save the lost? Sure, except when he won’t. The fine print keeps accumulating, up to the point when you are not really sure what to expect anymore.

Perhaps I could have kept up with the excuses for much longer, if they weren’t so poorly and inconsistently defined. I could have understood that God doesn’t want to answer prayers which are inconsistent with his will, if there was any simple way to know what his will is and what it isn’t – but there is none. You are supposed to “let the Spirit guide you”, study the Bible and learn to listen to the voice of Jesus on your heart, but you never know for sure if you heard it right or read the Bible right. The same for every other excuse – how are you supposed to know whether you have “enough” faith or not? How are you supposed to know if your motives are pure enough? You are left with constant guessing, expecting less and less from God until your faith is reduced to some intellectual conviction with no discernible bearing on reality. This wasn’t what I signed up for.
You are getting there. To save you the stress and shorten your journey to atheism, I will tell you that all world religion, voodoo, charms, curses and spells and ALL other world mysticisms are bullshit and ridiculous garbage.
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by Martinez19(m): 8:10am On Jul 08, 2018
I must confess, this man was in exactly the same position I was some years back. I made similar realisation. cheesy
Re: "Why I Stopped Believing In God" Ex Presbyterian Pastor Michal Pleban by dalaman: 8:11am On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

if you think a bit deep about it, What he really wants is for other Christians to "Leave atheists for him to handle"

grin grin. You've said it all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Lately I Always Dream Of Picking Up Money On The Road / Is It A Sin For Couples To Kiss In The Church Premises? / I Will Fight Against This LIE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.