Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad (25517 Views)

Boy Burns All His Certificates; Explains Why / UNILAG Mermaid: Eyewitness Explains Why Rumored Mermaid Student Was Arrested / I Am Now Depending On Friends For Food And Shelter -nigerian Man Studying Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by GrandPa01(m): 5:31am On Jul 08, 2018
Some stakeholders have said Nigerian youths prefer to study abroad due to the decay in the nation’s education system . They spoke during a programme in Lagos on how Nigerians could study abroad with ease organised by the University of Sunderland ,
United Kingdom . The programme was held simultaneously in Lagos , Benin and Port Harcourt .

A Nigerian lecturer at the University of Sunderland , Larry Jones lamented that incessant strike in the nation ’ s tertiary institution had resulted in students spending up to six years for a course that should run for four years.

“ One of the reasons many youths want to study abroad is the quality they get . University of Sunderland understands the importance of giving the best . Our system back home in those days is measured with that of the UK , what has happened ? Over time, there is decay ; there is a system that is
not working for the young people . Something is wrong with our education system ; we should change the way we do things . The way forward is for those coming to study abroad to go back and change things , ” he said .

Deputy Director , International , University of Sunderland , UK , Ian Moody said the school had been having students from Nigeria for almost a decade now , and the exhibition is to help students gain
admission into the institution which had been in existence for over 100 years.

“ We have really found out that Nigerian students are of high quality and standard . They add more value to the curriculum of the university . We know it has been difficult getting Nigerian students into UK in terms of visas and fees . And what we want to do is
give back to Nigerians and Africans in terms of offering scholarships . ”

source: https://m.guardian.ng/news/lecturer-explains-why-nigerian-youths-prefer-studying-abroad/
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:32am On Jul 08, 2018
More like it...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by iammo(m): 7:12am On Jul 08, 2018
And Nigerian youths perform better abroad, even when you switch a student from public university to a private well equipped university they end up performing excellent. It's almost as if public universities always want to prove a point by frustrating students

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 08, 2018
Of course the system is bad. What do you expect when a lecturer threatened a student with grade

12 Likes

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Nukilia: 7:51am On Jul 08, 2018
A nation in reverse gear,..

6 Likes

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by CodeTemplar: 8:40am On Jul 08, 2018
iammo:
And Nigerian youths perform better abroad, even when you switch a student from public university to a private well equipped university they end up performing excellent. It's almost as if public universities always want to prove a point by frustrating students
That's a rotten lie. few who switch and sit up do improve but the story is largely the same. The quality of grads out there proves this. The ranking bodies also add weight the above fact.
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by CodeTemplar: 8:46am On Jul 08, 2018
Our schools are of lower standard and no sugar- coating can cover that.

7 Likes

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by iammo(m): 9:31am On Jul 08, 2018
CodeTemplar:
That's a rotten lie. few who switch and sit up do improve but the story is largely the same. The quality of grads out there proves this. The ranking bodies also add weight the above fact.
From my experience having attended both public and private universities, public universities need a good quality control department to see to the standard of all processes of the university, from the frustrating coarse registration to medicals to bad timing of lectures to exessive crowding of classes, to lecturers lack of strong monitoring in a private school for instance this same lecturers from public university are very well behaved, the ones labeled sadist become friendly once they are in the private uni. My elder sister graduated in a naija uni accountancy with an average result, she enrolled for law in a brithish university and came up as the best graduating student of her class even with two wonderful kids to take care of and a side hustle

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by daveP(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2018
First of all, let's assume the FG meets the demands of ASUU@10trn Naira, will that overhaul the rotten and decayed system and make a u-turn for good?

This system needs a sit down and a large large reform that parents would appreciate and applaud from the comfort of their homes.

A genius child meets the system and then the system proves he/she is a dumbo. What a way to discourage a future that might turn the future of the county around. Funny enough, parents follow such before. But now, parents come to threaten the teachers these days. lol, SMH. Soon teachers would begin to threaten parents and there will be no school again.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Kingdolo(m): 9:57am On Jul 08, 2018
True
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Lukgaf(m): 9:59am On Jul 08, 2018
And there are no sadist who gain pleasure with student failure abroad
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Tboysalau(m): 9:59am On Jul 08, 2018
cool
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by flyca: 10:00am On Jul 08, 2018
You'll see pictures Nigerian University hostels and you'll be wondering if it's a poultry house. Very depressing cry

8 Likes

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by magicminister: 10:00am On Jul 08, 2018
I am your typical 2.2. graduate from a federal University in Nigeria. I was frustrated and treated so badly by the people that should've mentored me and encouraged me to grow. Fortunately, i was able to pursue a masters degree abroad and made a 3.9/4.0 gpa.

That was when i realized that i am actually not a dullard but the Nigerian public education system failed me... Even if you want to go to school in Naija, i strongly strongly advise you go to reputable private school like covenant. They might have stringent rules but at least you are sure that your effort would not be thwarted by a lecturer because he saw you eating isi-ewu at a bar or for some other stupid reasons!!

Graduating with a 2.2 automatically denied me many opportunities. I was pretty much ineligible for employment in most Nigerian companies, my dream of going to an IVY league school was out the window.
Public schools in Naija isn’t worth it!!! You’re better off with a 2.1 from a mushroom private school than a 2.2 from a public school!!!

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:00am On Jul 08, 2018
Infact God bless this man this very day!

Why won't we do well when we go abroad The environment is conducive and friendly not here, where over 1000 students are receiving lectures in a tiny hall with no ordinary fan self not to talk of AC

I remember those days in university, mat111, come see students outside standing mtcheeeeew Nigerians are strong shall undecided

The conditions in Nigeria can make a sane mind go insane undecided

Apart from these incessant strike, study abroad is practical oriented! Here lecturers will be teaching you what they have never seen all their lives and might not even see it till they die undecided

To make matter worst na one Mallam Adamu Adamu be the minister of education!

Before my northern friends will start quoting me ask yourself, why is our educational system still this way even under your perceived and competent Buhari and Mallam Adamu Adamu undecided

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by maxiuc(m): 10:01am On Jul 08, 2018
grin

Revision before exams

And lecturers giving area of concentration

This are things Nigerian lecturers will never let you know most of them derived Joy seeing you fail their courses

Open University of Nigeria is worst how do you get to see your lecturers you are just a forsaken student if you don't read

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by flyca: 10:02am On Jul 08, 2018
When I was writing my Masters Thesis (abroad), my supervisor told me that any reference I'm quoting older than 10 years should be scrapped that the technology should be outdated by now.

Last week, I was browsing online when I saw an article published by my undergraduate university (Nigeria) lecturer. His references dated as far back as 1970's. shocked For an Engineering course o.

Wait lemme look for the picture. Lol

Modified: Oh, sorry it's 1963! For a paper written in 2014 cheesy

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by SAMBARRY: 10:02am On Jul 08, 2018
Hmnnn
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Dreamer001(m): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2018
Ok
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by dreamwords: 10:10am On Jul 08, 2018
The same reason buhari go for treatment abroad.
This country needs special grace
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by cvibe2: 10:10am On Jul 08, 2018
Ok
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Cuteamigo1(m): 10:11am On Jul 08, 2018
God help me. planning to start my masters very soon but God is my witness if i had the money i wouldn't have done it in this country.
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by qanda: 10:12am On Jul 08, 2018
True. Many things are wrong with education in Nigeria. See example below

It is a case of misplaced priority for an institution to insist that Undergraduates must have at least 75% attendance record before they are allowed to sit for exams; while unconcerned when a learner with over 75% attendance fails an exam. Beyond attendance, Nigerian Tertiary institutions should focus on how Undergraduates can easily access lecture materials in text, audio and Videos.

We have built an Android Mobile App (Q and A App) to bridge this gap - access study materials, Job Test Questions and Answers, Scholarship resources, Past Questions and Answers, Entrepreneurship and Personal Development resources on Q and A App. Download Q and A App on Playstore

The Nigerian Youths are facing so many problems, Sourcing study materials should not be one of them.
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Pavore9: 10:12am On Jul 08, 2018
The public university system in Nigeria is not conducive for quality education.
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by dreamwords: 10:14am On Jul 08, 2018
flyca:
When I was writing my Masters Thesis (abroad), my supervisor told me that any reference I'm quoting older than 10 years should be scrapped that the technology should be outdated by now.

Last week, I was browsing online when I saw an article published by my umdergraduate university (Nigeria) lecturer. His references dated as far back as 1970's. shocked For an Engineering course o.

Wait lemme look for the picture. Lol
The electricity u are using to charge our phone
When was it discovered. Was it less than ten years ago? Na wa u oo
Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by flyca: 10:15am On Jul 08, 2018
dreamwords:

The electricity u are using to charge our phone
When was it discovered. Was it less than ten years ago?
So if you were asked to optimise the use of computer keyboard now, you'll start with typewriter? undecided

You are a obviously a literature student. Face your front. Lol.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 08, 2018
Main Reason: Quality of Education! People with B.Sc in various discipline from Nigeria's universities, cannot practice outside the ECOWAS sphere.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by khalhokage(m): 10:19am On Jul 08, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Please be honest, the Nigerian public school system is horrible, outdated curriculums, sadistic underqualified and largely corrupt lecturers, overcrowded lecture halls, lack of infrastructure, and generally a system that seems purpose built to frustrate students.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Genesils(m): 10:20am On Jul 08, 2018
magicminister:
I am your typical 2.2. graduate from a federal University in Nigeria. I was frustrated and treated so badly by the people that should've mentored me and encouraged me to grow. Fortunately, i was able to pursue a masters degree abroad and made a 3.9/4.0 gpa.

That was when i realized that i am actually not a dullard but the Nigerian public education system failed me... Even if you want to go to school in Naija, i strongly strongly advise you go to reputable private school like covenant. They might have stringent rules but at least you are sure that your effort would not be thwarted by a lecturer because he saw you eating isi-ewu at a bar or for some other stupid reasons!!

Too bad!
I can relate cry

3 Likes

Re: Lecturer Explains Why Nigerian Youths Prefer Studying Abroad by Welrez(m): 10:22am On Jul 08, 2018
I advise people to choose private schools, if they lack funds to school abroad and have to do it in Nigeria. The public schools have become largely antiquated. Even the operators of public schools are aware of this embarrassing fact!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB Generated N9 Billion And Remitted N7.8 Billion In Buhari's Administration / OAU Management Shuts Down School Again / Dowen College: Governor Sanwo-Olu Reacts To Sylvester Oromoni's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.