Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? (3047 Views)

Nigeria’s Vehicle Manufacturer Innoson Set To Produce Electric Cars / How To Survive If Your Vehicle Is Sinking Into A River Or Sea / Innoson Is Not The Only Vehicle Manufacturer In Nigeria. See The Others (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:10am On Jul 11, 2018
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by id4sho(m): 1:39pm On Jul 11, 2018
20W50 naija standard

3 Likes

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2018
id4sho:
20W50 naija standard

What vehicle do you use sir?
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by id4sho(m): 1:58pm On Jul 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

What vehicle do you use sir?
2AZ-FE TOYOTA CAMRY 2003
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:20pm On Jul 11, 2018
id4sho:

2AZ-FE TOYOTA CAMRY 2003

is that what your manual says?

3 Likes

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by wane01(m): 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

is that what your manual says?
grin
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by thebigkendo(m): 4:30pm On Jul 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

What engine oil are you currently using? Does it meet manufacturer specifications?[/color]

My manufacturer recommends mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, but as a DEMEANOR I am using volvoline.. Hope my engine will not knock angry angry

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2018
thebigkendo:

My manufacturer recommends mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, but as a DEMEANOR I am using volvoline.. Hope my engine will not knock angry angry

what spec of valvoline do you use sir?

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 11, 2018
My manufacturer always say that I should never patronize a MECHANIC that feels like he is Buhari,else I might lose an engine to a minor heating issue grin

4 Likes

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by aaidel(m): 12:28am On Jul 12, 2018
thebigkendo:

is it the full synthetic or conventional?
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by austin4real(m): 6:30am On Jul 12, 2018
Hi gazzuzz, recently got a 9ja used 2007 Honda Accord, upon servicing I used the 5w-20 synthetic oil for the first servicing when I got hold of the vehicle however like 2 and a half or 3 months later I checked the dipstick only to find out that the vehicle had almost finished consuming the oil... had to switch to the 20w-50 brand of oil immediately, now I’m approaching the time for next servicing and I’m afraid of using the recommended variant, what could be the problem... Note that engine is not smoking or giving any signs of oil consumption..
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:43am On Jul 12, 2018
austin4real:
Hi gazzuzz, recently got a 9ja used 2007 Honda Accord, upon servicing I used the 5w-20 synthetic oil for the first servicing when I got hold of the vehicle however like 2 and a half or 3 months later I checked the dipstick only to find out that the vehicle had almost finished consuming the oil... had to switch to the 20w-50 brand of oil immediately, now I’m approaching the time for next servicing and I’m afraid of using the recommended variant, what could be the problem... Note that engine is not smoking or giving any signs of oil consumption..

engine oil is leaking somewhere

Gazuzz whatcha say? continue with the switch?

cc autoelectng
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by AutoElectNG: 6:54am On Jul 12, 2018
austin4real:

V6 or i4?
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by AutoElectNG: 7:01am On Jul 12, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

engine oil is leaking somewhere

Gazuzz whatcha say? continue with the switch?

cc autoelectng

Honda is aware that the vehicle has oil consumption issues, and they issued a bulletin

If my memory does not fail me, the link below discusses oil consumption in the i4
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/honda-accord-cr-v-warranties-extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm

while the link below discusses oil consumption in the v6
https://www.samarins.com/reviews/accord_08.html

Please check and confirm, I am not fortunate enough to have enough time to go through those links to say for sure

And this is why I often say, you want to repair a car, why try to reinvent the wheel? What if the problem is one which is well-known and the manufacturer has provided a remedy or a temporary measure to resolve the issue? No mechanic or technician has the resources available to the manufacturer, so align yourself with their research and your repair becomes even better

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:19am On Jul 12, 2018
austin4real:

Nigerian 1st owner strayed from the light.

using heavier oil weights does repairable damage to your engine long term.

There might be a buildup of sludge.

Engine would need an overhaul.

That engine will always short synthetic oil 5w20.

You can try other variants of synthetic oil to see if they would work. Start with 0w40 or 5w40 or 15w40. If you get good results, next oil change try 5w30. if it works, stick with it.

Long term Full synthetic engine oil will provide better protection to your engine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by AutoElectNG: 7:32am On Jul 12, 2018
My bad, it is a 2007 not a 2008+

Maybe this thread can help...if he is in Abuja and wants a root cause analysis done, he could get in touch with me

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/62586-problem-fix-excessive-oil-consumption-2003-2007-honda-accords-w-2-4l-dohc.html

That is what happens when you do things in a hurry smiley
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by evilspirit: 7:46am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

You can try other variants of synthetic oil to see if they would work. Start with 0w40 or 5w40 or 15w40. If you get good results, next oil change try 5w30. if it works, stick with it.

Long term Full synthetic engine oil will provide better protection to your engine.

is there a 5w-20 that is not synthetic
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:50am On Jul 12, 2018
evilspirit:

is there a 5w-20 that is not synthetic

There is semi-synthetic (I also have Ibstock) but I am yet to see mineral variants of 5w-20. Or do you mean 20W-50?
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by evilspirit: 8:54am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

There is semi-synthetic (I also have Ibstock) but I am yet to see mineral variants of 5w-20. Or do you mean 20W-50?

I actually later googled it . There are synthetic semi synthetic and mineral(conventional) oil of 5w-20.

Example

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/motor-oil/oil-weight/5w20?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&retaillocation=int
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:12am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

fortunately, most of the forums I have visited on this particular issue will give this exact advise but most of them are just damage control and they admit it.... most times the switch cannot solve the problem in engines that have been abused by the almighty 20w50 over an extended period of time.. it only masks the problem in the interim since an overhaul is unavoidable. most times sef the engine starts smoking heavily from the wide gaps and leaky seals the 20w50 has created, so the shorting oil happens even faster than before.

well the ogas are speaking so I must learn.

theory isn't enough, 1st hand experience is also needed and unfortunately nobody is willing to allow me carry out this experiment on his car.... so I can learn by myself (from my mistake).

most definitely not my own car.

so austin4real please do the switch let's know how it goes..... I'd recommend the 15w40 first, cos it's a close alternative to the 20w50 and if the engine accepts it ..... stick with it...

that's my own opinion oh, .....coming from a DIY petrol head.... not a technician.... yet
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:15am On Jul 12, 2018
evilspirit:

I actually later googled it . There are synthetic semi synthetic and mineral(conventional) oil of 5w-20.

Example

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/motor-oil/oil-weight/5w20?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&retaillocation=int

Interesting stuff. But what's the point? Most vehicle oil life counters are in the range of 3-5,000 miles, would mineral oil be suitable for that length of time?
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:17am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

lolz or 50w20

50 weight @ startup, oil remains in sump till engine reaches optimum temp, then boils like the normal groundnut oil till it reaches the 20 weight before circulating
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by evilspirit: 9:42am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Interesting stuff. But what's the point? Most vehicle oil life counters are in the range of 3-5,000 miles, would mineral oil be suitable for that length of time?

And the difference is usually between 2 to 5 dollars per quart.
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:48am On Jul 12, 2018
evilspirit:

And the difference is usually between 2 to 5 dollars per quart.

and the cost of clearing here is same amount grin
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:49am On Jul 12, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

lolz or 50w20

50 weight @ startup, oil remains in sump till engine reaches optimum temp, then boils like the normal groundnut oil till it reaches the 20 weight before circulating

demeanor have you been using grease in your engine? grin grin
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:54am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

demeanor have you been using grease in your engine? grin grin

lolz maybe na wetin all these naija manufacturers dey use refill the kegs oh

lolz
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by evilspirit: 10:04am On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

and the cost of clearing here is same amount grin

You still pay duties? I thought you import them inside the cars you import.
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by AutoElectNG: 11:43am On Jul 12, 2018
I still have a hard time believing that synthetic oils causes seals to leak....I tend to believe that the seals were already gone or done for, and the switch made the fact that the seals have been spent manifest.

Unless it is possible to proof that there is a correlation, it is certainly not a cause, it is coincidental that it happened

So it is not a bad idea to budget to replace the seals at the same time.

Another reason for the leakage could be, note I said, could be overfilling of the oil which may cause greater than anticipated pressure on the seals and whenever there is excessive pressure something has to give....
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2018
AutoElectNG:
I still have a hard time believing that synthetic oils causes seals to leak....I tend to believe that the seals were already gone or done for, and the switch made the fact that the seals have been spent manifest.

Unless it is possible to proof that there is a correlation, it is certainly not a cause, it is coincidental that it happened

So it is not a bad idea to budget to replace the seals at the same time.

Another reason for the leakage could be, not I said, could be overfilling of the oil which may cause greater than anticipated pressure on the seals and whenever there is excessive pressure something has to give....

that right there is the issue.... the seals were already done for and the viscosity of the heavy oil enables the seals to hold in pressure cos the surface area is more rigid and molecules are more tightly packed.... but the thinner synthetic will leak past the seals because of this same issue.

so changing the seals can solve the external leaking issue but the internal chambers that have been expanded nko? what can be done about that? oil leaking into the combustion chamber........

I seriously want to proof/disproof this claim even tho a one time scenario is not a true measure of efficiency but at least it clears any doubt that a probability/possibility exists.

in the end, it's all damage control.... to me.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
evilspirit:

You still pay duties? I thought you import them inside the cars you import.

That's Uncle 32urd grin
Re: What Does Your Vehicle Manufacturer Say? by thebigkendo(m): 1:54pm On Jul 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

That's Uncle 32urd grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Recommend A Good Ml 430 (mercedes Benz) Mechanic In Abuja / Five Habits That Will Ruin Your Car / This Plate Number Issue Na Wao!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.