Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,842 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes (53384 Views)

Indian Goat Gives Birth To ‘Humanoid Kid’ With Baby-Like Face (Pics) / Keystone Bank Empowers 12-yr-old ICT Whiz Kid With $4000 / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Ugonna5500(m): 11:03pm On Jul 12, 2018
hassan4:
Femi Owolade-Coombs—also known as Hackerfemo—has been coding since he was 9 years old. After learning to hack Minecraft using Python on a Raspberry Pi computer, he decided to set up South London Raspberry Jam to share his passion for coding with other young people. Owolade-Coombes has since run hundreds of coding and robot workshops throughout the world. His community events have are fully inclusive, welcoming young people who have autism or—like him—Tourettes Syndrome, while his business brings workshops to companies and public organizations. Owolade-Coombes was presented an inaugural Diana Award, where he was invited to St James’ Palace and presented with his award by the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

Hackerfemo has been coding since he was nine years old. After learning to hack Minecraft using Python on the Raspberry Pi computer, he decided to set up South London Raspberry Jam – to share his passion for coding with other young people. Three years on, Femi has run hundreds of coding and robot workshops across the UK and internationally. The community events he runs, with other volunteers, have been praised for being pioneering as they are fully inclusive and welcome young people who have autism or, like him, Tourettes Syndrome. In 2017, he won an Inaugural Legacy Diana Award for his kindness, compassion and duty to the community. Femi has successfully set up his own business, hackerfemo.com, delivering workshops and inspirational talks to corporate companies and public organisations, whilst continuing his community work. He has been recognised as a ‘Change- enabler’ and an inspirational young coding ambassador. His present initiative is his most ambitious; with other young coders, he aims to develop an inclusive Young Coders community, running monthly youth-led coding MeetUps, partnering with Tech Industry professionals and overseeing an outreach programme to increase accessibility for under-represented groups. He has set up a crowd-fund campaign to raise £25,000 in order to have the maximum reach.

Source: http://gtbensmagazine.com/2018/07/12/meet-hackerfemo-white-kid-with-nigerian-name-that-codes-programming/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKh_SwiCumA
I went to one of the boy's seminars in London last year and that was how i got to learn of his unusual Nigerian names. I was very curious.I made some researches about the boy and I found out that his mother is the one who has a Nigerian ancestry. Her mother's name is Grace Owolade and although born and breed in the UK has a Nigerian father and white mum, that is to say that the boy's paternal grandfather is a full-blooded Nigerian from Yoruba. The boy's father is an Englishman called Christopher coombes born in New Zealand and which is where he got married to Grace Owolade three years after they gave birth to Femi but Grace chose to retain her surname Owolade. so that is how he got his surname from the combination of his mother's surname and that of his father. His mother is also a coder and developer and suffers from an insignificant autism. she is also in her early 50s because he gave birth to Femi when she was 36 and her husband Christopher coombes is in his early 60s because he was 48 when Femi was born. The boy is a bright kid and has a very good sense of humor. You should meet him.

1 Like

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by daddio(m): 11:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
Nightmareo07:
Nice1 smart kid

*EDITED*.
to all those foolish pipo that always ask "must u always drag yoruba"?..
here lies the answer why I always drag them the afonjas.
Now tell me what dragging umuafor has to do and this thread.

This is why I pummel coneheads

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Ugonna5500(m): 11:09pm On Jul 12, 2018
odiegwu
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Ugonna5500(m): 11:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
I went to one of the boy's seminars in London last year and that was how i got to learn of his unusual Nigerian names. I was very curious.I made some researches about the boy and I found out that his mother is the one who has a Nigerian ancestry. Her mother's name is Grace Owolade and although born and breed in the UK has a Nigerian father and white mum, that is to say that the boy's paternal grandfather is a full-blooded Nigerian from Yoruba. The boy's father is an Englishman called Christopher coombes born in New Zealand and which is where he got married to Grace Owolade three years after they gave birth to Femi but Grace chose to retain her surname Owolade. so that is how he got his surname from the combination of his mother's surname and that of his father. His mother is also a coder and developer and suffers from an insignificant autism. she is also in her early 50s because he gave birth to Femi when she was 36 and her husband Christopher coombes is in his early 60s because he was 48 when Femi was born. The boy is a bright kid and has a very good sense of humor. You should meet him.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by gr8tsuccess: 11:19pm On Jul 12, 2018
Wow
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Burchester: 11:49pm On Jul 12, 2018
Yoruba white boy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by DirewolfofStark(m): 11:49pm On Jul 12, 2018
Almaiga:
If say na Igbo's now, dey for Don dey spam this thread with "Ibo Amaka". grin
My Yoruba Brothers are cool guys, no chest beating cause they know their worth.

Abeg shut your mouth jor. Who be your brother? Leave us Yorubas alone. Meanwhile wetin Aboki don achieve? Poverty, Illiteracy and terrorism. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Tonimordred(m): 12:59am On Jul 13, 2018
petkoffdrake2:
Hit like if you're also confused undecided
you are confused cause he is nt 4rm d east...olori paje
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Emilokoiyawon: 1:27am On Jul 13, 2018
YorubaAmaka

Yeeboos right now:

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 13, 2018
skallion7:
you're a Fool
Ur father and mother is a fool, idiot like u.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by yazach: 2:43am On Jul 13, 2018
Nightmareo07:

Na afonja u the qoute..make una get sense

He pain am well well

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 2:47am On Jul 13, 2018
JAMESOJAY:
What's the big deal if he's name is femi?

Or are the coward Yourbas trying to claim this white boy because he has a yourba name lol

Foolish people the English names you answer are they not borrowed?

So the white boy and his parents that named him has the right to choose any name they want

Crazy people
The Boy's mom is partly Yoruba.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Almaiga: 3:51am On Jul 13, 2018
DirewolfofStark:

Abeg shut your mouth jor. Who be your brother? Leave us Yorubas alone. Meanwhile wetin Aboki don achieve? Poverty, Illiteracy and terrorism. grin
Yet, they rule over you. cool

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 4:01am On Jul 13, 2018
Nightmareo07:
Nice1 smart kid

*EDITED*.
to all those foolish pipo that always ask "must u always drag yoruba"?..
here lies the answer why I always drag them the afonjas.
Now tell me what dragging umuafor has to do and this thread.

This is why I pummel coneheads

You are an idiot. The first tribal post on dt page came from an Igbo person who said 'why a Yoruba name mscheww'.

All these other posts were responding to it. Una Cup go soon full. Insecure set of lowlifes.

1 Like

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 4:04am On Jul 13, 2018
HajimeSaito:
grin

I thought I was the only one who's heard of this kid. His mother, Grace Owolade is actually half Yoruba and she's also a coder. That's where he gets his name and talent. She runs a school in London that teaches coding to kids from poor homes.
Here's a lovely picture of Femi and his mother.

Awwn so cute. Correct mama. Proud omoluabi. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 4:07am On Jul 13, 2018
Tampa6246:
All these comments on tribalism is smh...what's the history of these beef between Igbos and yorubas pls anyone who knows

Nnamdi Kanu and 2015 elections.

1 Like

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 4:12am On Jul 13, 2018
ollah2:
Kudos to this young fella. Keep soaring while coding.
The local names some Nigerians don't like or value is being used by a foreigner.

Shame to the Nigerians that prefers a foreign name to our local names
Shame to Nigerians parents that gave their children foreign names against local names.

Shame!!

Please specify the Nigerians because 90% of yorubas, even those dt are mixed race or born abroad, bear Yoruba names.

1 Like

Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 5:30am On Jul 13, 2018
Debra911:
My tribalistic brethren where at thou,this handsome kid s an oduduwa, what do u av to say? grin

grin grin grin
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by BruncleZuma: 6:29am On Jul 13, 2018
Malawian:

My guy, i been wan ask, na you be that ManOwar guy that time for EKP?
No bro...me and those people no relate
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Hienna(m): 7:07am On Jul 13, 2018
i dey feel this boy ojare
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by phase1: 7:08am On Jul 13, 2018
HajimeSaito:
grin

I thought I was the only one who's heard of this kid. His mother, Grace Owolade is actually half Yoruba and she's also a coder. That's where he gets his name and talent. She runs a school in London that teaches coding to kids from poor homes.
Here's a lovely picture of Femi and his mother.

His mum looks 25% black but the kid looks 0% black. Look like the kid was adopted. Since the mother loves poor kids maybe she adopted one.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by phase1: 7:12am On Jul 13, 2018
janellemonae:

Nnamdi Kanu and 2015 elections.

Lies.. Igbo vs yoruba beef preceeded Kanu and 2015. It's been here on NL since 2008. The old threads are there.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Ijaya123: 7:14am On Jul 13, 2018
Legalese:
No you don't. I'm pained cos you're supposed to be an educated and enlightened youth on whose shoulder the future of our nation rests. But instead of shelving silly sentiments that be cloud your right thinking and picking up the mantle of leadership, you chose to be led and fooled by old men with nothing to offer.
And the worst thing is that they use the same old tricks hinged on ethnicity and religion to divide the youth and you, with all your supposed sense still fall for them.Keep thinking its a joke and making a fool of yourself. 10 years from now your kids would ask you why our country is the way it is and you'll be yapping shit about past leaders, when you had the chance to do something about it.

Hey lad, youre talking to the wrong person. Your targets are roaming around on nairaland. You've got your hands full. Peace.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by benjsniper33: 7:17am On Jul 13, 2018
Tampa6246:
All these comments on tribalism is smh...what's the history of these beef between Igbos and yorubas pls anyone who knows
Yoruba wit, confidence , diplomacy, exposure, intelligence, fearlessness, influence and advanced trickery made den ibos jealous, firstly they send Nnamdi Azikiwe back to the east in the 1950s regional election,
Yorubas bleeped them up again During the Civil war winning the war for Nigeria through some sort of tactical maneuver and rule. Ojukwu failed woefully in the agitation for Biafra which also results in the death of 3million civilian ibos. So he needs someone to blame so that his people can pity and support him once again. So he blamed the Yorubas for betraying him even after Awo begged him not to start any.
When the war started it's was mainly between the Ibos and Hausas. Yorubas are on the sidelines observing, folding their hands, drinking beer and having endless owambe parties. Then Ojukwu invited trouble when he attacked the west through Benin then the Yorubas stopped the parties and joined the war, crushed him heavily and went back to their owambe parties.
So ibos keep passing wrong messages of hate, blame and betrayal was being passed from their Akpu Generation to the ignorant and non-fact finding indomie generation of today . Hence the hatred and jealousy continues.

You see the Americans are blamed for what they did to the red Indians but Americans don't give a Bleep
Leopold is blamed for Congo but no bleeps given.
Spanish to Aztecs but no bleeps given.
Yorubas to Ibos but no bleeps given. Yoruba still keep their cool and they be like "we'll still do it again if given the chance" the ibos known this and are always aiming shots at Yorubas.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nightmareo07: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2018
janellemonae:

You are an idiot. The first tribal post on dt page came from an Igbo person who said 'why a Yoruba name mscheww'.

All these other posts were responding to it. Una Cup go soon full. Insecure set of lowlifes.

Who is this sophisticated Moro.n ? undecided
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by skallion7(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2018
charliboy654:

Ur father and mother is a fool, idiot like u.
I know your parent are dummies, your total worth of your life won't be up to price of the coffin you'll be buried in. bastard
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Surrey2Bimshire: 7:42am On Jul 13, 2018
1zynnvn:
But why a Yoruba name mtcheeew

Igbo amaka

His mom is half Yoruba .
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Surrey2Bimshire: 7:43am On Jul 13, 2018
neweraomo:
Who is his father ,anyone knows ?

Christopher Coombs
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Patrioticooduan: 9:28am On Jul 13, 2018
phase1:

Lies.. Igbo vs yoruba beef preceeded Kanu and 2015. It's been here on NL since 2008. The old threads are there.
It escalated in 2015 after the ibo flat-head losers lost the 2015 election. Even the drunkard called Jonathan was a Yoruba hater
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 13, 2018
skallion7:
I know your parent are dummies, your total worth of your life won't be up to price of the coffin you'll be buried in. bastard
And u think you are living, boy u are just existing, if all u do is troll on nl. Go get a life.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 13, 2018
Hotzone:
Great kid
Am owing one dude wey no sabi my house 1million Naira but number of missed calls wey I dey receive from his Mtn line don pass the 1million self
I cum dey ask myself whether he employed person to dey call me
Ok.
Re: Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes by JAMESOJAY: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2018
Please prove it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wood Car Spotted In Ibadan. Photos / See The HUGE BAT I Killed This Morning / Pictures Of A Live Snake Caught By A Farmer This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.