Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW (23142 Views)

Tiwa Savage Walks The Runway At New York Fashion Week (NYFW) / Nicki Minaj Suffers Embarrasing Nip Slip At NYFW [see Photos] / Nicki Minaj Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction As Her Nipple Slip Open At NYFW, Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Letenwam: 7:12am On Jul 13, 2018
The New York Fashion Week which took place few days ago, came with a historical achievement and it was made by a 19-year-old Nigerian boy, Taofeek Abijako. 

Taofeek Abijako became the the youngest designer to present a collection at New York Fashion Week: Men’s this year.

The 19-year-old Nigerian designer and founder of the menswear label, started the brand just two years ago with the intent to generate impactful statements through his work. Previous collections entitled, “Cruel Hands” and “Hooligans,” consisted of apparel with these thought-provoking statements: “Disorder: In Mutiny We Trust” and “Palaver Child.”

“I approach Head of State+ as less of a brand and more of a case study. It’s me digging into my cultural upbringing while trying to have a firm grasp and understanding of it. My belief is furthering a philosophy of thoughtful, inconspicuous, and honest design across the board," the Nigerian-born designer shared with the CFDA.

According to CFDA, his label “pays homage to his past by celebrating his West African culture through a contemporary perspective, or, as he Abijako puts it, ‘minimalist streetwear approach with social and political commentary.’”

“My dad was a trained fashion designer while living in Nigeria and dealt mostly with local traditional garments. Growing up in an environment like that sparked my curiosity in design,” Taofeek said.

When asked about his inspiration for the street wear brand’s upcoming “Genesis” collection, he shared that it’ll portray “the vibrancy of West African youth culture in the ‘70s and Fela Kuti." The new collection is guaranteed to be groundbreaking in design and social impact.

The menswear label will be debuting its Spring/Summer ’19 collection at Men’s New York Fashion Week.

Abijako was still a senior at Albany High School when he released the look book for his first collection on his Twitter feed. A few weeks later, when an email from a buyer for the Japanese luxury retailer United Arrows arrived, he assumed it was a prank perpetrated by friends. The buyer asked to visit his studio; since Abijako was working out of his childhood bedroom, he demurred, and instead they met in Manhattan.

https://lailasnews.com/nigerian-boy-becomes-youngest-designer-present-new-york-fashion-week/

4 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by itspzpics(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2018
Wow

After being Side hoe for 6yrs, 33 abortions, He Finally proposed-twitter user(photos) >>> http://www.praizenews.com/after-being-side-hoe-for-6yrs-33-abortions-he-finally-proposed-twitter-user/

3 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by OneCorner: 7:45am On Jul 13, 2018
As a flat head, I’m angry wit dz news

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Chibake(f): 8:24am On Jul 13, 2018
Wow...congrats

3 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Seanpizzy10: 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2018
Regina Daniels Vs Michelle (Mercy Aigbe's Daughter) - Who Is The Most Fashionable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruxz4X2pt6I

2 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by WesternOrbit: 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2018
inspiring!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by TheAngry1: 12:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
ok
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Itzpetersv: 12:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
Y
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by SIRKAY98(m): 12:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
K

1 Like

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by lekanation(m): 12:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
our boy again

3 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
Congrats man.2years of growth hacking is not a joke..but who dey vex your models.
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by WesternOrbit: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2018
Good news for Naija image at this time

2 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Alonzoh(m): 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2018
Afonja Amaka !!!

6 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by zolajpower: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2018
Reallity
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by kennisman(m): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2018
wch kind news b D's now?

9 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2018
That model in the second picture looks funny grin
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by TDonald: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2018
AFonja and Mumu design tongue

2 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2018
OneCorner:

8 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2018
1. Why d guy dey bone?
2. Wch kyn design be that?

undecided

1 Like

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2018
What is Taofeek? Is he a boy?
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by segebase(m): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2018
we afonjas r doing well

3 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Sharpshooota: 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2018
Is that not a Yoruba Muslim?

What is he doing there.... Who is spreading the good work of sai barber on the social media now?

2 Likes

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by dominique(f): 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
booqee:
That model in the second picture looks funny grin

The entire collection looks funny. Fashion has evolved into something I don't understand anymore

1 Like

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by seunny4lif(m): 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
OneCorner:

1 Like

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Justchill01: 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
Nigerian are blessed upstairs

1 Like

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Sharpshooota: 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
OneCorner:

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by freemanbubble: 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
Isoright
Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by adecz: 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Taofeek Abijako Is The Youngest Designer To Ever Present At NYFW by Sirpaul(m): 12:57pm On Jul 13, 2018
G & D
OneCorner:

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Isreal DMW: I Can Take A Bullet For Davido, I Will Die If I Don't (Video) / Glo Drops Naeto C, Lynxxx As Brand Ambassadors And Signs Wizkid / Comedian Seyi Law And His Daughter, Tiwa In New Adorable Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.