Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria (2853 Views)

Why Do People Who Borrow Money Find It So Difficult To Return In Due Time? / Surviving Without Sex As A Single Mum... It's So Difficult / I Find It Difficult To Sleep Alone In A Room Or In A House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:23am On Jul 14, 2018
A few years ago my dad had 3 of his children
in some universities around the country all at the same time.
I was one of those 3. My immediate younger sister was another while the next after her was the last.

So its just natural that things were tight financially. Either of us will always need something at one time or the other.
And my dad had to always share whatever resources available among us. That means if the money available is 10k, we had no choice than to share the 10k among the 3 of us.
Naturally if you are going to share 10k among 3 kids, it should be 3,250 each but my dad will always find a way to give my sister the lion share.
Like she gets more money and I get less.

Like I'm the older one here!
Hello!

That continued for a few months until I couldn't take it anymore so I had to confront him.
Respectfully of course.
That day I was home and so was my sister so I knew if we don't address that issue before the day we are leaving then I'll have lesser share of the family cake again!
I walked up to my dad that night and stammered through what I had to say.
I knew if I don't get my lines right, I might be in trouble so I had a little rehearsal time in my room.
Make I no go lose my entire allawee.

After all said, my dad looked at me and asked me how long I had been feeling that that.
I was like feeling what sir?

"This hatred for your sister" he said?

Then I automatically switched to defense mode and told him straight up that I don't hate her but I just don't like the fact that I'm getting less than she does, especially being the older one.

Then he told me a few things I didn't think about before. He reminded me that my sister schools at Abuja while I school in Ondo and of course the cost of living is not the same.
I could have easily told him that is not an excuse of course if not that he's my fucking dad!

Then his last statement got me even more confuse. He reminded me that my sister is a girl.

Whatever that means... Whatever, I walked out of his sight. My dad was never right when I was younger.

Now fast-forward to today, I realized how right he was about that last statement, Nigerian girls are exposed to so many dangers out there alone on their own. In schools, work and in the society at large.
Now a girl can not have a boyfriend in peace. If he's a yahoo boy, she might end up being a victim of ritual killing.
And you think of the fact that an innocent girl can not even stand alone at night and be safe.
There are so much danger out there for our women and every time I think about them, I just thank God I'm a man.
And wonder how it feels to live in Nigeria as a girl child, with so much fear and uncertainty.
Everyday, a girl is either raped, assaulted or killed and you wonder what happens if this continues.

I feel am going too far, let's even talk about the common dangers our women are exposed to this days, a guy walks up to her and tell her she's the only one in his life. He'll give her heaven and earth.
Being human, she believed him and the relationship started. Then after sipping the sweet wine, he started acting funny, started avoiding her calls, and the next thing you see is that he has moved on to the next girl.
Then girl moved on and found another guy, same thing happened.
Then tomorrow, a jobless dude standing in a corner watching her jump from one man to another comes out and say she's a cheap girl.

My brother, were you there when those cheap men were promising her a kingdom in a fairy world?

It is very wrong. I think it's high time guys stop seeing girls as a sexual tool.
Do you even know that 75% of marriages in Nigeria only happened because the girl got pregnant and there was no other choice?
How do we avoid domestic violence when that dude is not satisfied with the woman he married?

And why will you marry her when you know there are things you hate about her. I mean, let's be rational here. If you don't really love that girl, fine you guys had sex. You both agreed to the sex and now she's pregnant. It's just sane that you save the media some crime story and just accept the baby and leave the girl.

This is not me preach oo, this is just me saying that girls should not always be the victims just because they are "not fast"

https://www.zealnut.com/blogs/entry/The-Fears-of-Being-A-Girl-In-Nigeria

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kingpee2(m): 2:02am On Jul 14, 2018
And you feel its not difficult being a man in Nigeria either ,I’m sure you must have heard the saying that to be a man isn’t a day’s job,you hVe no idea how we feel when we see our mates that has done either yahoo plus or money ritual and they’ve made us see ourselves so ridiculed that we feel life isn’t fair on our side ,babe,the same way you think it’s difficult being a girl in this country ,for we men it is just more than worst..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by KanwuliaExtra: 2:08am On Jul 14, 2018
We shall overcome . . . .

Someday. . . Not now sha.

The bondage continues. kiss

Na so e be for BOKO-HARAM, SHYTE-HOLE KUNTRIES o! cheesy

Women are treated WORSE THAN CATTLE! By MEN and the FELLOW WOMEN WHO WORSHIP THEIR MEN-PIM-P! grin

5 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:41am On Jul 14, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
We shall overcome . . . .

Someday. . . Not now sha.

The bondage continues. kiss

Na so e be for BOKO-HARAM, SHYTE-HOLE KUNTRIES o! cheesy
You are right and the government does not have any measure put in place to protect women

Women are treated WORSE THAN CATTLE! By MEN and the FELLOW WOMEN WHO WORSHIP THEIR MEN-PIM-P! grin

You're right. And to think that the government does not have any measure put in place to protect women is alarming

4 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:45am On Jul 14, 2018
Kingpee2:
And you feel its not difficult being a man in Nigeria either ,I’m sure you must have heard the saying that to be a man isn’t a day’s job,you hVe no idea how we feel when we see our mates that has done either yahoo plus or money ritual and they’ve made us see ourselves so ridiculed that we feel life isn’t fair on our side ,babe,the same way you think it’s difficult being a girl in this country ,for we men it is just more than worst..
So you think women don't hustle too? Or they are not intimidated when they see their friends using the best clothes, shoes and bags just because she is dating a yahoo boy? Or just because she is a runs girl. Everyone in Nigeria have their own level of intimidation bro.
Same way its hard for men to be successful without going into crime, it's also hard for women to be successful without selling their bodies. Go to offices and see how bosses demand sex from female job seekers and still deny them of the job even after giving them what they want.

5 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Chubhie: 11:14am On Jul 14, 2018
An endemically testosterone infested country as Nigeria is a hostile territory for the girl child.

The small girls of today with big gods are a creation of their environment.

Blame the game not the players.

5 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by KanwuliaExtra: 2:19am On Jul 15, 2018
Kelvin30286063:

You're right. And to think that the government does not have any measure put in place to protect women is alarming

The government na MAN na! grin
Women will remain socio-economic inferiors till the end of time.

With “presidents” making mouths like “za oza room”? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by armyofone(m): 2:34am On Jul 15, 2018
It's all over the world!! You hear of human trafficking, abduction, rape and so much more going on out there. Even grown up are not exempted. Just recently a lady was almost abducted while jogging. She fought the man even while he was dragging her to his truck.
May we always be protected.

Chubhie:
An endemically testosterone infested country as Nigeria is a hostile territory for the girl child.

The small girls of today with big gods are a creation of their environment.

Blame the game not the players.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 8:25am On Jul 15, 2018
armyofone:
It's all over the world!! You hear of human trafficking, abduction, rape and so much more going on out there. Even grown up are not exempted. Just recently a lady was almost abducted while jogging. She fought the man even while he was dragging her to his truck.

My secondary school classmate was found dumped in the bush, naked and dead around last week.
She was coming home to Owerri from port harcourt after her mom called her to come visit.

Her body was found and luckily the perpetrators were caught (Some lady wore the girl’s clothes and someone identified the dress. That’s how they were traced).

I watched their confession video and I couldn’t hold back my tears. According to the guys that did it, They kidnapped her from the bus station with the intention of raping her and asking for ransom but during the process of raping her, they discovered that she is still a Virgin and decided to kill her for rituals instead (since that’s supposed to give them more money).

I’m still in shock. It is difficult to live in Nigeria but it’s definitely Herculean if you’re a girl.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by peacengine(m): 9:27am On Jul 15, 2018
Let's protect our female folks, without them our future generation is gone.

1 Like

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Babybunny(f): 9:35am On Jul 15, 2018
Kelvin30286063:
I was one of those 3. My immediate younger sister was another while the next after her was the last.

So its just natural that things were tight financially. Either of us will always need something at one time or the other.
And my dad had to always share whatever resources available among us. That means if the money available is 10k, we had no choice than to share the 10k among the 3 of us.
Naturally if you are going to share 10k among 3 kids, it should be 3,250 each but my dad will always find a way to give my sister the lion share.

Hello!

That continued for a few months until I couldn't take it anymore so I had to confront him.
Respectfully of course.
That day I was home and so was my sister so I knew if we don't address that issue before the day we are leaving then I'll have lesser share of the family cake again!
I knew if I don't get my lines right, I might be in trouble so I had a little rehearsal time in my room.

After all said, my dad looked at me and asked me how long I had been feeling that that.

Then I automatically switched to defense mode and told him straight up that I don't hate her but I just don't like the fact that I'm getting less than she does, especially being the older one.

Then he told me a few things I didn't think about before. He reminded me that my sister schools at Abuja while I school in Ondo and of course the cost of living is not the same.
I could have easily told him that is not an excuse of course if not that he's my fucking dad!

Then his last statement got me even more confuse. He reminded me that my sister is a girl.

Whatever that means... Whatever, I walked out of his sight. My dad was never right when I was younger.

Now fast-forward to today, I realized how right he was about that last statement, Nigerian girls are exposed to so many dangers out there alone on their own. In schools, work and in the society at large.
Now a girl can not have a boyfriend in peace. If he's a yahoo boy, she might end up being a victim of ritual killing.
And you think of the fact that an innocent girl can not even stand alone at night and be safe.
There are so much danger out there for our women and every time I think about them, I just thank God I'm a man.
And wonder how it feels to live in Nigeria as a girl child, with so much fear and uncertainty.
Everyday, a girl is either raped, assaulted or killed and you wonder what happens if this continues.

I feel am going too far, let's even talk about the common dangers our women are exposed to this days, a guy walks up to her and tell her she's the only one in his life. He'll give her heaven and earth.
Being human, she believed him and the relationship started. Then after sipping the sweet wine, he started acting funny, started avoiding her calls, and the next thing you see is that he has moved on to the next girl.
Then tomorrow, a jobless dude standing in a corner watching her jump from one man to another comes out and say she's a cheap girl.

My brother, were you there when those cheap men were promising her a kingdom in a fairy world?

It is very wrong. I think it's high time guys stop seeing girls as a sexual tool.
Do you even know that 75% of marriages in Nigeria only happened because the girl got pregnant and there was no other choice?
How do we avoid domestic violence when that dude is not satisfied with the woman he married?

And why will you marry her when you know there are things you hate about her. I mean, let's be rational here. If you don't really love that girl, fine you guys had sex. You both agreed to the sex and now she's pregnant. It's just sane that you save the media some crime story and just accept the baby and leave the girl.

This is not me preach oo, this is just me saying that girls should not always be the victims just because they are "not fast"

mtchww
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:52am On Jul 15, 2018
cococandy:

My secondary school classmate was found dumped in the bush, naked and dead around last week.
She was coming home to Owerri from port harcourt after her mom called her to come visit.

Her body was found and luckily the perpetrators were caught (Some lady wore the girl’s clothes and someone identified the dress. That’s how they were traced).

I watched their confession video and I couldn’t hold back my tears. According to the guys that did it, They kidnapped her from the bus station with the intention of raping her and asking for ransom but during the process of raping her, they discovered that she is still a Virgin and decided to kill her for rituals instead (since that’s supposed to give them more money).

I’m still in shock. It is difficult to live in Nigeria but it’s definitely Herculean if you’re a girl.
That's so sad mehn!
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:53am On Jul 15, 2018
Babybunny:
mtchww
Sister, did this vex you in anyway?

2 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by BiafranDel: 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2018
cococandy:

[s] I’m still in shock. It is difficult to live in Nigeria but it’s definitely Herculean if you’re a girl [/s]
shut the fvck up!
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by BiafranDel: 12:56pm On Jul 15, 2018
peacengine:
Let's protect our female folks, without them our my future generation is gone.
your future generation you mean? When making unsolicited comments like this, learn the act of personalization.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 2:22pm On Jul 15, 2018
Smh
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by peacengine(m): 2:25pm On Jul 15, 2018
BiafranDel:
your future generation you mean? When making unsolicited comments like this, learn the act of personalization.

Guy can you have a child without a female? WTFK are u talkin about
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by crackhaus: 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2018
armyofone:

Aesthetically balanced submission there.
I don't know if there's anywhere in the world where women are not victims of crazy men.

"Time's Up" and "MeToo" did not start in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2018
Kelvin30286063:

That's so sad mehn!
it’s terrible. I can’t even imagine how her mom feels
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 7:39pm On Jul 15, 2018
I have always said there is no institutionalized discrimination against women in Nigeria (would be happy to have someone prove otherwise).

The problem is mental mostly brought about by home training.

Yep, it is the same men & women campaignin that 'government' should intervene that train boys who misbehave in the first place.

What laws would you put in place to ensure that a boy doesn't 'use and dump' a girl? Or that a husband respects his wife?

I am sure that even in Saudi Arabia that is infamous for I'll treatment of women, there are some men by the virtue of upbringing that treat their women right. Afterall, in the same Saudi where there is a law against female drivers, some men still taught their women how to drive.

Like someone once said, some women train sons they would not marry. I know women who complain that their husbands are not helpful on the domestic front/ too authoritive. Strangely, they train their sons to be same. I now wonder why the complaints.

Laws make everything mechanical and some people would still be above the law.

The next crop of young men are in the hands of the girls complaining today. The onus is on them to train gentlemen for the next generation.

Also, I fear for a father who is giving his daughter extra money so she is not lured by men. The excuse that she schools in a different state with higher cost of living hence the higher pocket money sits well with me.

The second excuse? Mbanu!

A lady who would be lured has decided to be lured because she is not content.

I agree that it is easier to be content with N30k pocket money per month than N5k per month.

It also means that the father is afraid that her hasn't trained his daughter well.

What happens when he can no longer afford it or the higher share still doesn't make sense.

4 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 7:45pm On Jul 15, 2018
cococandy:

God console her parents, so sorry for their loss.

Thank God the perpetrators were caught even if it wouldn't being the girl back, it would give the parents closure.

Hugs to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2018
bukatyne:

God console her parents, so sorry for their loss.

Thank God the perpetrators were caught even if it wouldn't being the girl back, it would give the parents closure.

Hugs to you.
Yes catching them makes it a little easier for closure.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 10:00am On Jul 16, 2018
bukatyne:
I have always said there is no institutionalized discrimination against women in Nigeria (would be happy to have someone prove otherwise).

The problem is mental mostly brought about by home training.

Yep, it is the same men & women campaignin that 'government' should intervene that train boys who misbehave in the first place.

What laws would you put in place to ensure that a boy doesn't 'use and dump' a girl? Or that a husband respects his wife?

I am sure that even in Saudi Arabia that is infamous for I'll treatment of women, there are some men by the virtue of upbringing that treat their women right. Afterall, in the same Saudi where there is a law against female drivers, some men still taught their women how to drive.

Like someone once said, some women train sons they would not marry. I know women who complain that their husbands are not helpful on the domestic front/ too authoritive. Strangely, they train their sons to be same. I now wonder why the complaints.

Laws make everything mechanical and some people would still be above the law.

The next crop of young men are in the hands of the girls complaining today. The onus is on them to train gentlemen for the next generation.

Also, I fear for a father who is giving his daughter extra money so she is not lured by men. The excuse that she schools in a different state with higher cost of living hence the higher pocket money sits well with me.

The second excuse? Mbanu!

A lady who would be lured has decided to be lured because she is not content.

I agree that it is easier to be content with N30k pocket money per month than N5k per month.

It also means that the father is afraid that her hasn't trained his daughter well.

What happens when he can no longer afford it or the higher share still doesn't make sense.

You go to some houses and the boys are treated like kings while the girls do all the work. I remember my neighbours then...the girls used the wash the boy's clothes.

They spoil the boy and make him useless to the women he relates with or dates, the one he marries and even to his society.

I know someone who babysits her niece and nephew. She is hard on the niece but pampers the boy so much that he cries a lot, throws tantrums even if he is the older one while the girl acts much more mature than him.

When i asked her why, she simply said because he is a man. It really has to change.

Men beating their wives and treating them like second class citizens is as a result of poor upbringing and the mindset they were trained to have.

I hope this can be corrected

2 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2018
ImaIma1:

You go to some houses and the boys are treated like kings while the girls do all the work. I remember my neighbours then...the girls used the wash the boy's clothes.

They spoil the boy and make him useless to the women he related with or dates, the one he marries and even to his society.

I know someone who babysits her niece and nephew. She is hard on the niece but pampers the boy so much that he cries a lot, throws tantrums even if he is the older one while the girls acts much more mature than him.

When i asked her why, she simply said because he is a man. It really has ro change.

Men beating their wives and treating them like second class citizens is as a result of poor upbringing and the mindset they were trained to have.

I hope so too.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:17am On Jul 17, 2018
bukatyne:

I hope so too.
We all hope so
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by UjuJoan2: 1:54pm On Jul 17, 2018
Kelvin30286063:

Hello!

Respectfully of course.

I remember when I was in the University together with my elder brother, and one of our 'uncles' relocated to our town. My dad called us (myself and my brother) to inform us of this development and instructed us to go and pay him a visit and welcome him to the town. My brother, being a sharp guy went first and met with 'uncle' and had a swell time. 'Uncle' was lodged in a hotel then and my brother was treated to room service buffet meal/drinks, and of course a generous amount of 'pocket money'.

I remember the excitement when my brother told me the good news, I couldn't wait to go for my own share of the enjoyment. Imagine my shock when I got to his hotel room and 'uncle' decided I had to pay for my own goodies in kind. Uncle did not even pity me and at least buy me a meal, seeing that I was visibly starving, after fasting all day in anticipation of the wonderful hotel meal. Needless to say, I left his hotel room empty handed, not even my transport fare was refunded. cry cry

I can give you up-to 6 (at least) instances of similar occurrences . . . one was even a first cousin, another was a catholic priest.

And one mumu will open his dirty mouth and claim male superiority. . . when 80% of them lack basic morality, self control and common sense.

6 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by UjuJoan2: 1:56pm On Jul 17, 2018
cococandy:

Wow!!

cry cry

1 Like

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 2:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
UjuJoan2:

I remember when I was in the University together with my elder brother, and one of our 'uncles' relocated to our town. My dad called us (myself and my brother) to inform us of this development and instructed us to go and pay him a visit and welcome him to the town. My brother, being a sharp guy went first and met with 'uncle' and had a swell time. 'Uncle' was lodged in a hotel then and my brother was treated to room service buffet meal/drinks, and of course a generous amount of 'pocket money'.

I remember the excitement when my brother told me the good news, I couldn't wait to go for my own share of the enjoyment. Imagine my shock when I got to his hotel room and 'uncle' decided I had to pay for my own goodies in kind. Uncle did not even pity me and at least buy me a meal, seeing that I was visibly starving, after fasting all day in anticipation of the wonderful hotel meal. Needless to say, I left his hotel room empty handed, not even my transport fare was refunded. cry cry

I can give you up-to 6 (at least) instances of similar occurrences . . . one was even a first cousin, another was a catholic priest.

And yet people wonder why I fight for equal treatment for both men and women!

These cases you cited are not as a result of 'inequality' na.

Don't be surprised that same baffoons would not let men ten feet from their daughters. So they are not doing it because they feel you are 'inferior' or undeserving of 'equal treatment'; they do it because they have been trained (by parents, society, women themselves) to believe they can take advantage of women and get away with it. They have been trained to see women as a thing of enjoyment and move on when they are done. They have been trained it is ok to indulge in your base fantasies and sow their wild oats.

Some of them classify women into good women (predominantly their sisters, mothers, wives, relatives etc.) and other women they can use for their enjoyment.

The solution is bringing up gentlemen and women who know their own worth.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 17, 2018
ImaIma1:

They spoil the boy and make him useless to the women he relates with or dates, the one he marries and even to his society.

I know someone who babysits her niece and nephew. She is hard on the niece but pampers the boy so much that he cries a lot, throws tantrums even if he is the older one while the girl acts much more mature than him.

When i asked her why, she simply said because he is a man. It really has to change.

Until Nigerian women stop depending on men for their existence and also stop their parents from collecting bride price from suitors, Nigerian men will continue to see them as properties .

Home upbringing and mentality are a part to this but most times it is dependency nature of Nigerian women and bride price.
If you ask a typical Nigerian man why he beats his wife, why his wife should be the one to cook, why his wife should see him as her God he will tell you that he paid bride price & also paying house rent,providing money for the running of the home.

1 Like

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2018
bukatyne:

These cases you cited are not as a result of 'inequality' na.

Don't be surprised that same baffoons would not let men ten feet from their daughters. So they are not doing it because they feel you are 'inferior' or undeserving of 'equal treatment'; they do it because they have been trained (by parents, society, women themselves) to believe they can take advantage of women and get away with it. They have been trained to see women as a thing of enjoyment and move on when they are done. They have been trained it is ok to indulge in your base fantasies and sow their wild oats.

Some of them classify women into good women (predominantly their sisters, mothers, wives, relatives etc.) and other women they can use for their enjoyment.

The solution is bringing up gentlemen and women who know their own worth.

@bold, but that’s the one of the core manifestations of inequality

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 8:57pm On Jul 17, 2018
Yes it is women’s fault.

Another manifestation of inequality. That the one is responsible for the other’s behavior.

So the father of the bride and his male relations classified as the kinsmen all sit and decided they must collect bride price from the male relatives of the groom’s family. Yet, it somehow falls on the girl to be the one to put a stop to all of them in order for her to treated as normal person.

She is the one to blame for this male tradition that has been perpetuated by men for generations and generations. I see.

I would say you live under a rock if you still think men are primary breadwinners in majority of the home but that would be stating the obvious. I’m not captain obvious
Hanseel1:

Until Nigerian women stop depending on men for their existence and also stop their parents from collecting bride price from suitors, Nigerian men will continue to see them as properties .

Home upbringing and mentality are a part to this but most times it is dependency nature of Nigerian women and bride price.
If you ask a typical Nigerian man why he beats his wife, why his wife should be the one to cook, why his wife should see him as her God he will tell you that he paid bride price & also paying house rent,providing money for the running of the home.

2 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 17, 2018
cococandy:
Yes it is women’s fault.

Another manifestation of inequality. That the one is responsible for the other’s behavior.

So the father of the bride and his male relations classified as the kinsmen all sit and decided they must collect bride price from the male relatives of the groom’s family. Yet, it somehow falls on the girl to be the one to put a stop to all of them in order for her to treated as normal person.

She is the one to blame for this male tradition that has been perpetuated by men for generations and generations. I see.

I would say you live under a rock if you still think men are primary breadwinners in majority of the home but that would be stating the obvious. I’m not captain obvious
Jeez...what kind of unruly and uncivilized behavior is this?
Can't you be civilized and polite?.

I don't even live in Nigeria but I'm a Nigerian and I know what's happening in Nigeria.

Women should be able to stop their parents from taking bride price from suitors.
That's why Nigerian men kill and beat cheating wives because they believe they paid for her.
Bride price is just like the men acquiring the women as properties.

Trust me, if bride price is abolished. Nigerian men will come to their senses.

You descended on me for saying what I've observed. If you know me very well on this forum ,I'm an advocate of women rights and you can see that from my topics both on this account and my other account.

Majority of Nigerian married women still depend heavily on their husbands.

Until they stop depending on men as if their entire existence depends on the men and at the same time stop their parents from collecting bride price nothing is going to change.

I'll only deem it fit to reply you again if you give me a mention that is mature and polite.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If These Were Your Kids, How Would You Handle The Situation? (photos) / ★★★ Advice Needed Urgently ★★★ / My People, Sapa Made Me Very Creative. Please Rank My Creation. Pisho Inclued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.