Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,503 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Massive Hit- Chapter 4 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Massive Hit- Chapter 4 (281 Views)

Massive Hit- Chapter 3 / Massive Hit / Massive Hit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Massive Hit- Chapter 4 by REPA: 10:03am On Jul 18, 2018
CHAPTER FOUR
The moment Jack had shown up at his doorstep needless to say had not come as a surprise to him. It’s no doubt the younger man had thought he had the advantage of shocking him with an unexpected visit. He smiled to himself as he chewed slowly on his salad. Health reasons and age had forced him to go healthy. He missed his beef, liquor and smoke but he indulged once in a while. He was in the middle of his nap when he was summoned. Normally, he didn’t take kindly to having his naps interrupted except on rare occasions and this amounted to that. The young man had a lot of rage inside of him and if misdirected, could cripple everything he had walked so hard for. A lot about Jack reminded him of himself but where the former was hot blooded, he had been calm and full of precision. He had come to this godforsaken country_ a foreigner without two nickels to rub together but a mind full of dreams and an insatiable hunger to dominate and covet which he had undoubtedly accomplished and is still accomplishing.
What was it being said about money and power? One could never have enough of both and whoever coined that deserved a toast. In a way, Jack’s rage and ruthlessness made him more than suitable for the task ahead and he had been more than happy at the look of bewilderment that had taken over the younger man’s features after being told what was required of him. Jack wasn’t the sort of man to be playing dangerous games with but what can one do when one had all the cards and is the one dealing the hand?_ but he has never underestimated Jack but for the moment, he had him where he wanted him_ or did he?
He had stood upstairs staring down at Jack unseen as he paced about like a caged bull. As far as disguises go, he had done a pretty good job at remaining incognito but not from him though_ never from him. He had never been out of his sight the moment he walked away from here twenty three days ago today and now, here he was, and like he’d always known_ a prodigal son come to the father? He smiled to himself. Perhaps we needn’t keep him waiting any longer.

“Ah Jack!” he called out gaily as he stepped into the posh living area decked with the most exquisite furniture that’d put the royal palace to shame. The scowl on Jack’s face wasn’t the least bit welcoming but the man appeared not to take notice.

“You took your ample time seeing me.” Jack growled

the old man chuckled “For that I must apologize but as you know, I had more pressing issues that demanded my immediate attention.” He turned to the wine cabinet after he waved the maid away leaving him alone in the room with Jack. Jack wasn’t stupid not to realize that he probably had a handful of men out of earshot in the event he decided to try something which was the farthest thing on his mind. He just wanted to get this over with.

“I’m here now just as you said so tell me, what do you want with me?”

The old man took his time poring over the wine cabinet “What’s your poison, son?”

“Vodka Martini…” Jack replied off handedly

“ah!” said the man with a glance at Jack over his shoulder. “You don’t do mixology.” Jack merely shrugged “If it ain’t broke…” he settled himself into a chair as the old man offered him his preferred choice of drink then settled back with his. Jack stared at the drink in hand almost as if debating if to drink it or not. The old man studied him over the rim of his glass then laughed out.

“I wouldn’t do that to you.”

Jack arched a brow then placed the drink untouched on a pristine ceramic side table then leaned forward. His body tense and strung tight. “Let’s get down to it.”

The old man studied his drink for a while, a small frown creasing his forehead. “I’m certain you found that piece of information I left you with quite enlightening, I assume?”

“That’s the reason I’m here. Here I am wondering what I could’ve done to have found such favor with you.” He intoned in cynicism

the old man laughed heartily. “We’ve got a funny one, heh?” but Jack wasn’t sharing in his humor and after a while, his face took a serious mien. “I gave you something which obviously means a lot to you and I’d like something in exchange.”

“Obviously and it also means you’ve got me pretty much checked out.”

The old man shrugged “Contingency plans son _ nothing personal. Always good for business.” He studied Jack’s now calm exterior for a while

“You’re a business man Jack and I’m sure you can relate.”

Jack nodded absently hoping he'd just get on with it and fast “Alright then. Let’s have it.”

“We’ve got mutual enemies Jack and because I’m more than certain you are going to take care of that, I’m moving on to more personal ones.”

“Mutual enemies?” Jack inquired sardonically

the older man’s features took on a dangerous and cold hewn. “Yes_ mutual enemies and I trust you’re going to ensure it gets done. I detest failure and have zero tolerance for incompetence of any…”He stood up to pace and Jack watched him silently.

Jack exhaled. He has had about enough of the old man telling him what to do and how to get it done “You were talking about personal enemies…” he cut in brusquely

He turned around and glared at Jack almost as if he detested being interrupted then he pressed a console on his wrist watch and a burly man walked into the room, an envelope in hand. He was decked out in black and his weapon was in full display. Jack had no doubt in mind he was probably among those that had come to rescue their boss. The old man waited until he had left before resuming his earlier position on the couch. He moved the envelope from one hand to the other as if in deliberation before tossing it over to Jack who caught it mid-air.

“This is slowly becoming a norm with you, isn't it?” Jack muttered as he unsealed the envelope. “You must love your secrets.”

“As do you as I’ve observed.”

Jack extracted a couple of papers which he read through in concentration before reaching inside the envelope to extract a single photograph.

“This is it?” he raised a brow in inquiry at the older man

“It doesn’t get any more personal than that, believe me.”

Jack studied the photograph one more time before returning it with the rest into the envelope. “What’s your grind with…”

“You need not concern yourself with that.” He cut in drily. “Consider your debts repaid in full when you’ve taken care of our enemies.”

Jack locked gazes with the older man. He hated being dictated to and here he was, being treated like on e of his hired goons on his fucking payroll. The urge to tell him to Bleep off was so strong but he was never one not to repay a debt_ good or bad. He sighed as he tucked away the envelope then made to stand but the old man stopped him with a raised hand.

“It’d be fair warning to let you know that I’d be watching you… I wouldn’t want any mess leading back to me, hey?”

Jack almost laughed at that. Wouldn’t it be a swell letting him know about the amateur he had on his tail this past couple of days who had done a poor job. Why mess with the fun? Let him think he’s calling the shot that he’s got him just where he wanted him_ it works in his favor after all.

“we wouldn’t want that now, would we?.” He couldn’t keep the derision from his voice. He stood up to leave

“Perhaps one day after this_ after we’ve all gotten what we wanted, it’d be nice to sit down and laugh about it over a drink.” He raised his glass to Jack. “Depending on who’s alive then.”

The meaning wasn’t lost on Jack and he smiled but it was one cold and ruthless smile that almost made the older man flinch.

“And when do I get to meet the infamous Lord Arthur?”

“After this is over_ if you are not already dead by then. He’d love to show his gratitude.”

Jack reached down for his drink all the while, his eyes never leaving the old man’s face, he downed it in one gulp then made his exit without a backward glance.

The old man stared after the younger man. He hoped he hadn’t been too hasty in his decision to recruit him. He sighed and reached under the throw pillow beside him to retrieve a similar envelope to the one he had given Jack. There were some things one just had to hold on to as leverage. He was dealing with one dangerous man and had to be cautious. The things he knew about Jack that even Jack himself was ignorant of would shock him. It was kill or be killed and he’d be crazy to think he had a man like Jack as an ally. He sighed and rested his head back against the cushions. He was getting too old for this but his blood was hot and still boiling as ever. Jack was bound to become a liability but that’d take care of itself in the days to come. This was one movie that’d be Oscar worthy if there has ever been one. He wasn’t so smug not to know that things might go wrong but what were contingency plans for if not for such moments?

“They’re ready for you sir.”

He looked up and exhaled then stood. he was getting too old for this. He left the room with the mercenary in his wake.

(1) (Reply)

Highly Creative Writers Needed / I Am The Reality / The Blind Alley - Quarter Final Episode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.