Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,769 members, 7,855,272 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 05:30 PM

World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban (790 Views)

Maradona's Vuvuzela / Should Vuvuzela’s Be Banned From The 2010 World Cup Finals? / Vuvuzela Manual (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by eros(m): 9:18am On Jun 14, 2010
World Cup organizing committee head Danny Jordaan on Sunday did not rule out banning vuvuzelas, the noisy plastic trumpets that have proved a hit with fans in South Africa but threaten to deafen players and viewers alike.

Criticism of the vuvuzelas has been almost as loud as the instruments themselves with broadcasting companies complaining the din is almost drowning out commentary.

DAY 3 AT THE WORLD CUP
Sit down, relax on Sunday and enjoy the world's greatest sporting event as day three at the World Cup is presented in all its vibrant colors.
"We've tried to get some order," Jordaan said.

"We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or during stadium announcements. I know it's a difficult question," he added, saying that "we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We heard from the broadcasters and individuals, and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going base."

Jordaan told the BBC he had to consider the option of banning the trumpets.

"If there are grounds to do so, yes," he said, asked if a ban was an option.

France captain Patrice Evra said the incessant noise was a factor in his side's poor display in their draw with Uruguay.

According to Evra: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan said: "I would prefer singing" and called on fans to chant instead.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid), we were singing, all through our history. It's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

SOURCE: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/World-Cup-considers-ban-on-horns-061310?GT1=39011
Re: World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by honeric01(m): 9:23am On Jun 14, 2010
This same trumpet was used in the confederation cup, that did not stop Brazil from winning nor stop USA from booting out Spain. Abeg, Evra should go and sit down somewhere.

The only problem i have now is the fact that the trumpets are being blown even when anthems are going on which is bad.
Re: World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by eros(m): 9:28am On Jun 14, 2010
honeric01:

This same trumpet was used in the confederation cup, that did not stop Brazil from winning nor stop USA from booting out Spain. Abeg, Evra should go and sit down somewhere.

The only problem i have now is the fact that the trumpets are being blown even when anthems are going on which is bad.

Let's be honest and fair, the vuvuzelas are truly a nuisance. Even whilst watching the matches through TV, the sound is very irritating and annoying. I am in support of the motion that they ban it when other countries are playing and they can blow their lungs out when South Africa is playing
Re: World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by 28Schweet(f): 9:32am On Jun 14, 2010
grin

as a south african, all i can say is, THE VUVUZELA IS HERE TO STAY, even the English were blowing it against the USA.
If the FOREIGNERS DIDN'T LIKE IT, THEY WOULDN'T BLOW IT!! Then it'll be left to the few South African's that are there to blow it at other games other than S.A games,

What amazes me about the broadcasters is that, they are inside broadcast booths, don't they have pitch (sound control) to block out the vuvuzelas,

eish, for stupidity,
Re: World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by honeric01(m): 10:04am On Jun 14, 2010
eros:

Let's be honest and fair, the vuvuzelas are truly a nuisance. Even whilst watching the matches through TV, the sound is very irritating and annoying. I am in support of the motion that they ban it when other countries are playing and they can blow their lungs out when South Africa is playing

Stop the complains jare, didn't they know what to expect at the worldcup before hand? was the trumpets not used at the confederation cup? if you can't stand the sound, mute your TV.

28Schweet:

grin

as a south african, all i can say is, THE VUVUZELA IS HERE TO STAY, even the English were blowing it against the USA.
If the FOREIGNERS DIDN'T LIKE IT, THEY WOULDN'T BLOW IT!! Then it'll be left to the few South African's that are there to blow it at other games other than S.A games,

What amazes me about the broadcasters is that, they are inside broadcast booths, don't they have pitch (sound control) to block out the vuvuzelas,

eish, for stupidity,

cool cool
Re: World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by Kgdavid(m): 10:22am On Jun 14, 2010
well personally the reason why i could never watch south african league matches was because of the extremely monotonous dull irritating blare of the vuvuzela and i was extremely incensed on saturday when the vuvuzela almost drowned our national anthem, thats just rubbish that i have never seen done anywhere else. one can seen how goal keepers really have to scream to communicate on the pitch. if you ask me, this is the world cup and there is a lot of excitement but anything that takes away from the actual football being played should be dealt with. most foreign nationals detest it and since its been proven to be dangerous for hearing then it should be banned Asap.
Re: World Cup Considers Horn (Vuvuzela) Ban by eros(m): 12:42pm On Jun 14, 2010
Kgdavid:

well personally the reason why i could never watch south african league matches was because of the extremely monotonous dull irritating blare of the vuvuzela and i was extremely incensed on saturday when the vuvuzela almost drowned our national anthem, thats just rubbish that i have never seen done anywhere else. one can seen how goal keepers really have to scream to communicate on the pitch. if you ask me, this is the world cup and there is a lot of excitement but anything that takes away from the actual football being played should be dealt with. most foreign nationals detest it and since its been proven to be dangerous for hearing then it should be banned Asap.

Thank you oo jare. Well said. The vuvuzela is officially noise pollution and should be banned.

(1) (Reply)

Odemwingie, Siasia Hold Peace Talks / Mikel Blocking Me From Eagles! / Why Do We Underachieve In Sport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.